KSR Show Thread 6/19: The spotlight shifts to Elliott County

Matt Jones and the KSR crew are quickly moving through Kentucky’s 120 counties, and today, the show is set to highlight none other than Elliott County.

This morning, all your questions on Elliott’s best athletes, celebrities, and features will be answered, along with other topics such as:

• Olivier Sarr’s waiver
  • Kentucky football’s arrival
  • The Belmont Stakes
  • Matt’s experience on the Charles Booker tour bus (and that video)

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

42 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/19: The spotlight shifts to Elliott County

1. Realme
    10:09 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Well good morning to you too.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:15 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

“Mornin’… best time of the day to go _____ yourself!” <– my favorite quote from the show "Deadwood" that I will likely never be able to use in real life. lol

3. JTHinton
    10:28 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

No one is asking about the Korean War, or Spanish-American War! We don’t celebrate those holidays, Matt.

Anyone even considering running for public office needs to know when the Emancipation Proclamation occurred!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Well, the current climate in the country has inflamed a dilemma that has bothered me for decades; so, I am asking for opinions as to how to address this dilemma.
    I have in my possession a pair of shackles from the 1850’s, heavy hateful things made of rough iron, so called leg irons.
    They are still stained with blood, and are an abomination; but, they are testament of the good work of my great, great grandparents. They were active in the underground railroad, and cut these irons off of a young man. My gg grandfather hid him under a blanket in the back of his wagon, and carried him north into Indiana to the next station.
    The story passed down was that the young man was 17, and his name was Soloman.
    I have often thought of destroying them; what would you do?

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

An inanimate object can’t be evil, it was just a tool for evil people. Actually, in their current state, they are more a symbol of good. No way I would get rid of them, that is one great story and history will be what it is no matter how many objects we destroy.

• Realme
      10:40 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

The story they represent is beautiful. I’m torn between destroy and find an appropriate museum to offer them to.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I should clarify that I would find a good museum home for them, but not destroy them. That part of the story needs to be told as well.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, folks; I have often had the same sentiments; a bad symbol that evolved into a good symbol…but they do bother me.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:53 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Putting them in a museum would be great IMO. With the current climate though, I wouldn’t be surprised if the mob thinks otherwise and wins.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:53 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

The Marxist mob I should have said.

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

rg, I think those leg irons would bother any decent person. Honestly, I would probably just hide them away for awhile longer and then find them a new home. The good-intentioned people who want to destroy all of those things are going to make it harder and harder to learn from our past.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

BTW RG, that is a MORE than tremendous story. It is a shame that is such a dilimma. I consider those irons a tribute to your gg grandparents. What bravery, and compassion, for their fellow man.

• RealCatsFan
      12:20 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

rg, you have great ancestors. I agree that the legacy of those irons should not be lost. They should be on display in a museum, along with the back story. Much like the Holocaust Museum, things like that still need to be seen, and the stories need to be told, however painful, in an effort to never repeat those atrocities.

5. Laker Cat 18
    11:03 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Dang, McGrath ad yesterday…McConnell/Trump ad today. All of Matt’s enemies are taking over KSR commercials.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:19 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

And a Booker ad followed by a McGrath ad today. Equal time. Haha.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:21 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Did Booker finally get into the KSR commercial game? I seriously missed his ad…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

And they just did it again. lol. At least on WHIR. The Booker ad with Matt telling why he endorsed him, and McGrath right after.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:04 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Okay, let’s do our talkin’ music segment. Check out this series of videos on “Session Men”. I knew Glen Campbell was a session musician at one time and played on Beach Boys albums. What I didn’t know was that there was such heavy reliance on session musicians that the BBs concerts didn’t sound as good as their records because of that. That’s weird because the BBs were supposed to be a BAND, not just a singing group.

There are also videos about session men in Muscle Shoals, Memphis, and Nashville (some you might have to search for and may not be on the page linked below). TRIVIA TIME: the guy who played drums on “Be My Baby” by the Ronettes actually started the intro drum beat wrong, but they liked it and left it in. Now it’s iconic. That wouldn’t happen with today’s music created electronically and auto-tuned.

Anyway, these videos are TREMENDOUS!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Oh, more trivia: Sonny & Cher sang backup on “Be My Baby”. Glen Campbell mentions it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section was great; had a roommate from there; but, he couldn’t play a radio, ha ha.
      And Nashville is indeed unique…you can probably walk into a bar in the middle of the day, and find twin fiddle players, and a steel guitar player. No other city in the world could you do that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:49 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

When Rod Stewart showed up at the studio in MS, he asked where the musicians were, and someone pointed to them and he thought he was being scammed (or pranked or something). He thought they would be black because of the music he had heard and was shocked they were all white.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:10 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

On a lighter note, yesterday I was talking about old Weismuller/O’Sullivan Tarzan movies and post-code censorship. Tarzan and His Mate (1934) actually had a nude swim cut out. However, O’Sullivan didn’t do it because she didn’t like her head being under water. Another Olympic Gold Medalist, Josephine McKim, made the swim.
    The hilarious thing is that the censors actually “missed” another scene,

8. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

RCF doesn’t seem to be around today, but I keep forgetting to give him credit for the greatest video I have seen all week (not including the Jane shots :)). Just google “boat fail ozark” and enjoy, if you haven’t already. Best comment: “Caillou learns to drive a boat.” lol

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

• Realme
      11:26 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

What a weird awkward video. So many questions. Why wouldn’t those fools sit down? What happened? Did Caillou just lose control?

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I missed that; that was a bumpy ride, Heee Haaaw.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

This may or may not have been during some kind of boat race at Lake of the Ozarks. But if you’ve ever been on the water there, you see people driving like this all the time.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

There are huge wakes everywhere because of all the big boats that go flying around the lake. This dude hit a few of those and decided just plowing through them faster was a good plan. We rented a pontoon when I was there and it was a little too much of an adventure for my liking. I just stayed close to the shoreline and hoped for the best.

• RealCatsFan
      12:07 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Sorry guys! I actually took the morning off to work on the boat. And I finally feel confident that we are “all systems go”! Taking it out this evening for a quick water test.

And yeah, that LOTO video is gold. They even did a parody of it on “The Family Guy”. I guess that means you have truly arrived in the world of boating idiocy. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      12:13 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

And the fact of the video is, anyone can plunk down the coin to buy a huge overpowered boat that will go 85 mph, but they don’t make you do any kind of training to make sure you are competent to operate it. Hell, you don’t even have to get a license to drive a boat – it’s amazing. I think the dude was trying to show off on rough water. He tripped it on a wake and basically stuffed the bow. They are standing up because when it’s rough like that it is better to be standing on that type of boat so you can brace yourself with your legs. Otherwise, you will need a kidney belt. Every single one of them should have had a life vest on – a good one, not one of those crappy orange ones. They are all lucky to be alive. I personally know a guy who was thrown from his boat at Lake Cumberland. He went straight to the bottom – 130 feet down. Water at that depth is close to freezing – your body usually does not float to the surface from decomposition. It took them three months to find his body with special sonar.

• RealCatsFan
      12:16 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

And BTW, they were NOT ok. Broken ribs, cervical and lumbar fractures, concussions, facial injuries, etc. A couple of them were in the hospital for a while.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:32 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Chickens eat rocks which go into their gizzards and help to grind up their food. Who knew Matt wouldn’t know something about animals?

• Realme
      11:35 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I hope some restaurant sends some for him to eat

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:51 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I cooked fried livers, gizzards, and oysters (gross all of them!) when I worked at Po’ Folks YEARS ago. Anyone remember that restaurant chain? It was the hottest thing going for a while in the early to mid or late 80s. Only a few locations left now. Burt Reynolds’ “Bandit Tree” group owned our store for a while after I had left.

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I remember Po’ Folks well, we had one in my town for several years. Their customer base probably all died of heart attacks, is my guess.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:57 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, everything was fried except for the stovetop items like red beans and rice, gumbo, gravy.

One thing I’ve found out though since my wife started keto: it’s not fried foods, it’s the breading and the seed oils. Grass fed butter and lard are actually better for you than seed oils, but not when everything is breaded.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:51 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

Keith Whitley was just full of great songs, and his voice totally did them justice. Sad that he died so young.