KSR Show Thread 4/17: Jacob Toppin is a Kentucky Wildcat

David Kohl | USA TODAY Sports

Photo: David Kohl, USA TODAY Sports

The Kentucky basketball roster grew by one on Thursday afternoon, as Rhode Island transfer Jacob Toppin announced he would be heading to Lexington.

This morning, Matt Jones and the KSR crew will break down the newest addition and what it means for Kentucky, along with all of the other craziness going on in the world of college basketball.

And then to close out “Book a Guest Week,” comedian Bert Kreischer will join the show!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

60 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/17: Jacob Toppin is a Kentucky Wildcat

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:02 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Any word on when Matt Haarms will announce? Some stories here were saying maybe by (or on?) the weekend I believe.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:10 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Still no Bischoff. Grrr!!! Yeah, I’m still miffed. If he though Eric was only a B or C list guy, fine, but after all the folks that said no, and Matt telling me Eric would be a good get. Pfffttt!!!

Oh well, GO CATS…whenever a Cat actually takes the field or the court again!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:10 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

And causing Cat fans to blow up his Twitter and him wondering what’s going on? Double Pfffttt!!!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:16 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Who is the Bert guy that’s supposed to be on the show today? Someone fill me in.

10:18 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Bert is some comedian that Matt says is a big deal. I have no idea really.

• Realme
      10:21 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

We used to watch a show he had on travel channel. I think he’e was really funny on that, but his podcast / stand up can be super crude.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Never heard of him, but I’m out of the mainstream for the most part.
      I get that pro wrestling isn’t everyone’s thing (and I don’t watch it anymore, but did when I was younger and during the 90s “Monday Night Wars” days, which is why I…ahem…”booked” the guy), so Bischoff would have been a niche guest for sure. But a teen rapper from Louisville (not to mention they’ve talked wrestling a LOT before)? Oh well.
      I’ll get over it, but I won’t participate in this again because it’s embarrassing to me to have Eric give an immediate “Glad to do it” then PM me all puzzled, and justifiably so, several days later. Again, if our fearless host had him as plan B or C, he shouldn’t have announced his name on the air and thus have UK fans blowing up his Twitter for crying out loud.
      Okay, I’m REALLY done now…I hope. lol

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Modbot doesn’t like my continual ranting about the book a guest situation. lol

• Realme
      10:33 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Your frustration is understandable.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Suffice it to say I won’t do the book a guest thing again.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

It wouldn’t be so bad if he had not given me an immediate “Glad to do it”, MJ to announce he was in multiple times, never contact the guy, and have him PM me several days later all justifiably puzzled because Wildcat fans are blowing up his Twitter account.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m done…well… maybe. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:37 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Ohhh, modbot let one go after all!

3. secrick
    10:10 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Sorry but i do not like the new transfer rule.

• Realme
      10:19 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Look on the bright side. We won’t be the only team that has to rebuild every year. Cal has plenty of practice.

I can see both sides, but I guess I fall on the side of players should have the same freedom to start over as any other student, or their coaches.

10:22 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s really just a way to not have to review a mountain of immediate eligibility waivers from transfers that they receive every year, imho. Just grant them all immediate eligibility and get back to doing whatever the NCAA bureaucrats do in their daily lives. Counting money, I’m guessing. 😉

• Realme
      10:23 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah not to mention that the NCAA loses a chance to be hypocritical with the waivers.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I see the G-League is offering recruits college scholarships that they can use any time…like Cal? As a famous songwriter once said, “The Times They Are A-Changin”.

• Realme
      10:28 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Smart move on their part.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

So, how many colleges offer the lifetime scholarship? Only other one I’ve heard of is Maryland.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

So basically the G-League is offering to put them through college if they don’t get drafted? Or in addition to getting drafted? I would be in favor of that. IMO, the NCAA is going to have to make drastic changes to the way the draft process is handled to stay viable. For one, let them come back after the draft AND even if they have signed with an agent.

10:38 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I think you are exactly right, RCF. Baseball players can get drafted out of high school and decide to go to college, and the world hasn’t ended yet. I believe hockey has a model that is even more like what you describe, as far as signing with an agent.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of sayings that have fallen out of use, my old man used to say “I’m gonna tan your hide” when I was in trouble.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

My Grandmother was a well of old expressions. Every winter she would say, “Going to be a three dog night”. And, then the band became popular, and I decided she was pretty cool.
      She also would say, “Well, that was fun…like herding cats”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I use the herding cats expression frequently, especially when I am coaching the younger kids at volleyball and they are scattering all over the court. 🙂

• Bluehender
      11:32 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

My grandmother used to say “well I swanny”, which was a way of saying “I declare”. I’ve gotten to the point where I use it a lot in conversations with my wife. Can’t wait to use it on the grandkids when things get back to normal.

11:48 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

My grandfather (my dad’s dad) used to throw in a “by cracky” for emphasis sometimes. I never quite understood how that saying came to be.

6. Realme
    10:36 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Bras are convenient if you don’t have pockets, but I would like to say for the record that I would never hand someone sweaty cash.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:40 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I see women at the beach putting their phones in their bra, or that area, especially if they’re wearing one of those long “beachy” dresses (some call them “mumu” dresses I think?) and aren’t carrying a purse.

10:40 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I have done the sock thing many times. It’s not my preferred way of carrying money, because it’s a little uncomfortable, and it’s been a long time since I did it. But I wouldn’t want to hand anyone sweaty cash.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I would have thought Matt would be thrilled to get bra money; probably his only chance to slide into 2nd base. Oops, I’ll quit now…ha ha snicker.

10:53 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, by that logic he should be a big fan of underwear money. lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Hah, I know; we’re awful aren’t we?

• Realme
      10:56 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, to be fair, we never know where the money we touch has been.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

So I guess it’s safe to say that most of you all would turn your noses up at butt-crack money, huh?

11:08 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I assume we all touch butt crack money just about every day, and just don’t realize it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

As Ryan would say, “How much”?

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

That’s one reason why I have been mainly using my debit card or credit card to buy stuff during this pandemic. I have a lot more control over where my card has been than potential “butt crack money”. 😀

11:44 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but what if the person who used the credit card machine right before you keeps their card in their butt crack? We’re all doomed.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:38 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve got to hunker down and get some things done here folks. I’ll try to check back later, but have a GREAT, BLESSED, and of course SAFE weekend. I pray we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with the madness we’ve been experiencing.

CATS!!!

8. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I like this guy from RI; good shooter; needs to muscle up like his brother. Seems that these brothers were getting some good advice at home. The National POY, Obi, didn’t have any ncaa division I offers out of high school; and, he attended a prep school in Maryland for a post-grad year.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people will talk the kid down because he wasn’t a starter for most of the year, but it’s all in the work he wants to put in. And you can believe that the staff at UK will help him with putting in that work.

11:18 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Cal has to find a way to build out the roster with guys like this. You can’t take the Tubby approach and mainly recruit “coachable” 2 and 3 star talent. But I don’t believe that is the only alternative.

9. Realme
    10:39 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Now Matt doesn’t understand coin collecting.

• secrick
      10:44 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Does Matt understand anything? If he didn’t dislike Louisville and Duke not sure i would like him. Just Kidding Matt.

10:45 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m almost to the point where I’m surprised when Matt does understand something. This one is slightly unusual since it’s not a “manly” thing that we’re talking about.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:04 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Sad news to report that my cousin passed away from COVID19 yesterday. He had been on a vent for a couple of weeks, and was not improving, so they took him off. Now his wife has it too. He was a professor at Ole Miss. It sucks. This shit’s real, folks – don’t take it lightly.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

So sorry to hear that; did he have other medical issues?

• Realme
      11:11 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, hope his wife has a better outcome.

11:15 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to hear that, man. This is the scary thing that those in denial don’t seem to get. You might not be the one to suffer the consequences of you not taking precautions.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, I’m not really sure because he has lived out of town for so long and I honestly haven’t seen him in a while. He used to be an actor, did a lot of theatre roles, even did some plays at venues like Actors Theatre of Louisville and larger venues. I remember as a kid he had a cameo role in the TV show “Movin’ On”. He suffered severe injuries while out hiking that ended his acting career many years ago. He went into teaching after that. I think my sister said that he had a mild stroke some years ago, so I’m sure that was a risk factor. And he was in his late-60’s. The fact is, there are a lot of us probably walking around with medical issues that would put us at higher risk with COVID, and we don’t even know about it. Think about all the people with undiagnosed hypertension, obesity, sleep apnea, etc.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:31 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I am SOOO sorry to hear that RCF. Again I’ll say a prayer for the family, especially since his wife has it.

I have to ask since I work at a university (very small compared to Ole Miss of course), but what did he teach? Did he teach theater?

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m not really sure, cg. I will be finding out, I’m sure. Like I said, I was not really close with him because I was a little kid when he moved away, so I only saw him at the occasional family event. And now that a lot of the family patriarchs and matriarchs are passing on and families are expanding, it is getting less and less frequent that I see a lot of my cousins. Kind of sad. One of the few good uses for Facebook, I guess.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Eh, the Rolling Stone was always a big deal.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, they are daggum copycats. BTW, Dr Hook did make the cover in ’73…the script said something like, “What’s Their Name Make the Cover”.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

Heschel Walker for the win! That was an instant classic. Great dude!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I agree.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:38 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I mentioned this when he was on but it was right at the end of the show, but I saw Herschel’s last college game live. Me and a friend (a UGA student who I worked with in summers) drove to NOLA in his new Mustang, and like a couple crazy very early 20 somethings we slept in his car 2 nights in a row off the road behind a convenience store in 1 case. I don’t remember the other. It’s a wonder we came back alive. lol

Unfortunately the wrong team won that night.

11:41 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad I was listening the day he was on the show. I’m still confused by that one commenter who said he is now less of a fan of Herschel Walker because of some of his comments. That’s a real head scratcher for me.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am April 17, 2020 Permalink

cg, Mrs RCF and I were going to throw caution to the wind during the 2012 FF and just drive down to NOLA and sleep in the family SUV if we couldn’t find/afford a hotel room. But alas, we could not arrange a babysitter in time, and I don’t think it would have played well to just leave an 8 and 10-year-old to their own devices at the house. Always something…