KSR Show Thread 4/10: The gang’s all here!

It’s a full house today on KSR, as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, Shannon the Dude, and Drew Franklin are all live this morning to discuss the latest in the world of UK Athletics and around the state.

More importantly, they’ll be breaking down some of the recent rumblings of a potential addition to the Kentucky basketball team.

Will they have some big news to break during the show? Tune in from 10 a.m. to noon to find out.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/10: The gang’s all here!

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

The Sopranos EP2:

1. Ms. Soprano put a hit on an unknown suspect who stole her son’s teacher’s car from school.
    2. They ended up sending Tony’s mother to a retirement home facility.
    3. Christopher and his crew keep making mistakes.

A little more drama than the first episode. Tony’s mother being put in a nursing home was something most of us have done…sending a loved one to a home, very hard situation. This one had some early Breaking Bad feels, not completely invested, but heading that direction. His mother hitting her friend with the car and the accidental shooting of the truck driver by Christopher’s buddy were the best scenes.

10:41 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I gotta like a character or be intrigued by an unlikable one in order to get hooked on a show. 2 episodes didn’t get me there. And the guys were nuts the other day. Tony didn’t look 50 or 60 in the beginning. I thought he looked surprisingly young.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Still grouchy, grrrrr. Why are we only getting guards and wings, can’t get the big guys, anymore? Going to get killed on the boards, unless one of the freshmen is another Wes Unseld or Dennis Rodman.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:14 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

There aren’t many elite centers in this class, that could be part of it. With that said, our big guy plan was initially Makur Maker, but has since announced he is going pro. We may have to roll with a young project or a veteran role player…I think that will end up being Haarms from Purdue.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s part of it; but, we’ve lost several good bigs we wanted over the last few years.

10:31 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

That does suck, but who are you mad at for it? Do you think Cal was just like: “meh, let’s just not try to get bigs any more”? You can’t force someone to come here, and you’re not supposed to pay.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:31 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree 100%, but I think we’ve dodged a bullet with a couple of them as well. Bolden at Duke sucked. Wiseman would have brought us some negative publicity and never played with his situation. I wanted Zion bad, but underlying word was that he was paid to go to Duke. I’d still taken the chance with a talent like that though!

10:53 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

If by some miracle Nick and EJ both stick around, that’d be great. Or either one of them and add Haarms.

10:54 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

But the Wiseman baggage was due to Pennies from Penny. Ha! Granted though, they probably would have nailed us if that had been uncovered while at UK.

The Bolden thing though, I believe he would have improved more at UK than he did at Duke, but of course we’ll never know.

• trumpetguy
      2:54 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

454, little off topic, but with all the questions about who is leaving/staying/grad transfers, etc….Does anyone have solid info on returning player DA? If not injured, would he have played significant minutes? Is he an upgrade over JJ? The team I envision next year will be a throw-back type team with about 4 6-6 to 6-8 guys on the court the majority of the time. Lot of subbing and a lot of similar type talent….Will DA be one of them? If Nick returns, that obviously changes things, but EJ…doesn’t move the needle at all. What says anyone that knows??

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:24 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

So someone in the comments yesterday said since we’re trying to get (and now just got) Mintz, that tells him/her that IQ is gone. I get that it helps to get experience, but how do Mintz’s stats come close to making up for what IQ gave us this past year?

Mintz, if you read this, that is NOT a criticism. It’s only an analysis of roles (and maybe not a good one!).

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I think IQ, Nick, and EJ are gone. Looks like small ball for us…Cal’s Runts?

10:31 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

JACK PILGRIM, please squash the mod bot! All I tried to do was cut and paste some stats for Mintz from other posts. Man alive! Someone PLEASE do something about that stupid thing moderating totally innocuous and pertinent posts!!!

10:32 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

During the 2018-19 season, Mintz averaged 9.7 points on 42% shooting and 35% from three to go with 3.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game for the Bluejays.

10:32 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

“Finding a guy that has made 79 career starts at a power 5 school and is willing to come in knowing his role may be as 6th man is not easy to do. I know some fans are being negative but I think this is a tremendous fit for what Kentucky needs. “. @bigbluexpress

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

EJ? God bless his soul if he is. He’ll have a hard time finding a job. He needs to develop like Richards and PJ Washington improved while they were here. Don’t be embarrassed to not be a one-and-done. There’s nothing wrong with investing in your talent improvement in multiple years.

10:36 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, ONE of the stats things got through. The one that still will NOT post is about him leading his prior conference in the a s s i s t 2 t u r n o v e r r a t i o i n t h e 2 0 1 7 t o 2 0 1 8 s e a s o n.

10:45 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

That is a valid point Realme. Again, if Cal thinks this guy can contribute, I’m all for it. I just don’t see him being a replacement for Quickley if Quickey leaves. That’s all. I can definitely see him filling the void left by Juzang if he can hit some 3s, even though he played 1 and not a 2.

10:47 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if that’s good analysis or not, ha ha. But I hope it is.

10:56 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Mintz is intended to replace Quickley. There just won’t be a Quickley if he leaves. And Mintz will bring other things to the table, presumably.

10:59 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m definitely in favor of getting some mature guys in, so I’m all for it.

BTW, I wish we could get a Reid Travis every year. I’ve said this 100 times, but I love having that bully on the block who, even if he has an off night offensively, will just beat on someone and take them out of their game like he did many times with the other team’s best player (or at least their best post player). I still think he wasn’t 100% after his injury. I remember how great he was especially against UT when they came to Rupp. Awesome.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Yep, shorter players can be good on the boards; nose for the ball, instinct, positioning, junkyard dog mentality. I mentioned Rodman and Unseld; there was also Chas Barkley…but they’re rare. And yeah, at times EJ and Nick have been soft at times, but I’m tired of getting killed on the boards. Hope we get Haarms.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:29 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh please Matt, like you haven’t argued with people on Twitter and otherwise about this whole virus thing. Hello pot, meet kettle.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

^ This. Seems a little contradictory.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but he’s a lawyer, ha ha ha ha.

10:36 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Now Chris sounds grumpy! Somebody get us some sports, stat!!!!!!!

10:37 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Also, Matt? A hypocrite? Whaaaaaat??????

10:38 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I AM GRUMPY! Haha. But mostly because of mod bot. But here you go also:

• RealCatsFan
      4:06 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

cg, love ya man, but Rust Lintball is a drug addicted pedophile, and his opinion carries absolutely no credence to me. It is easy for him to sit around on the sidelines and spout his BS and second-guess everyone. He better pray that COVID19 doesn’t come to visit him, because he would be at high risk. Sorry, but the stuff he spouts is a leading source of the divisiveness that is gripping our nation. JMO. Like I said, I know we probably have vastly different opinions of him, so I hope that doesn’t strain our relationship as fellow Cats fans.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:36 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

The Almighty Matt Jones: “Do you know who I am? I’m a lawyer.”

10:44 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Also, “I wrote a book!”

10:49 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Chris wins.

11:12 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

*takes a bow and hoists the trophy*

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:42 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Hey, BTW guys, I emailed MTT the other day about J-Dub being out and how we’re concerned about her, and she actually shared her email addy with me. I did send J-Dub a message saying us regulars are concerned about and praying for her. I encouraged her to post a message to let us know if she’s okay, but I haven’t heard back. I know a lot of people use email addys for sites like this that they don’t necessarily check often, or ever, though.

10:44 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Good work. What about 4ever? Have we seen him?

10:47 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Good question. I haven’t seen him in a few days, but I have seen him since the politicians elected (ha!) to crash our economy. I think I saw a comment or 2 earlier this week, if not, last week I’m very sure if memory is not failing me.

10:50 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Ok. Now we just need Weneedpitino. Just kidding, no coronapocalypse would take him down.

10:56 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, we need (ha!) him to give us more stories about lawn dart tournaments. Surely someone in one of those tourneys took one in the eye/neck/chest and in part lead to their being taken off the market.

Okay, that’s the last time I will lol at one of my own puns that I didn’t notice until after I started typing.

10:59 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Corona can’t take puns away from us!

10:59 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I sometimes create a burner email account when I sign up for sites where I expect a lot of junk emails, or just don’t ever plan to use it for anything else. I’m sure others do too.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:51 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Wow, Bobby Bowden! He’s not only a legend, but he’s always an entertaining interview.

11:03 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Also, does anybody else feel weird hearing and pronouncing Bobby Bowden’s last name the way his is pronounced?

11:04 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

And that’s even a weird thing for me to think, given that he is a football coaching legend and all.

11:14 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, just like my friend that pronounced her maiden name, which is Rowe, like the “ow” in “growl”, but some pronounce it like “row” your boat like the Dirty Jobs guy.

11:15 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Former Reds GM Jim Bowden pronounced his like Lynn does.

11:18 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

There is a Rowan County (pronounced “Roe Ann”) in NC. The first syllable of KY’s Rowan County rhymes with “cow.” I used to have to go to that county in NC on business occasionally, and I always had to think about it to get it right.

11:21 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

cg, I’m still mad at that Bowden for dismantling a solid nucleus of a Reds team to make a name for himself by trading for Griffey.

11:23 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I had a friend whose last name was Mayer. She pronounced the first syllable like the month, and her brother like the hot dog.

11:31 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

He did CC, but hindsight is 20/20, and no one new Griffey was going to go downhill after that trade. I think Pokey Reese was a part of that trade, and he was a terrific young shortstop. I don’t remember who else was, but yeah, they had a good young team before Griffey came along.

11:33 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s crazy Realme. So obvs one of them decided they knew better than their parents which one it should be. It seems to me it’s best to leave it alone unless you’re just tired of everyone mispronouncing your name, or the pronunciation rhymes with something embarrassing like a body function or part.

11:59 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

The Reds actually kept Pokey Reese, but gave up Mike Cameron. The real cost for them, though, was the lack of salary flexibility due to Griffey’s contract. It ended up being Junior and a bunch of dudes for too many years.

12:00 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

*payroll flexibility

8. runningunnin.454
    11:03 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I could get in a slightly better mood, if the guys would NEVER talk about rap and rasslin again.

11:08 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I like when you guys are grumpy. Used to have to be grumpy all by myself.

11:13 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Grumpiness loves company. I know I have held back considerably from letting the usual negative commenters have it lately. Just giving people their space, physically and otherwise.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

One of the negative nancys has said we would have 15 titles if Pitino had stayed at UK, hah that’s a bunch.
      BTW, I am not a negative nancy…yet! But, if there’s no football and basketball…watch out.

11:25 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Me too. I’m going to become a criminal if there is no bball or football.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Realme Dillinger. Remember, don’t go to the movies.

11:28 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Get ready for lots of rasslin’ talk when Bischoff comes in, but he can talk business, marketing, and things like that too. He’s also fairly conservative politically, so if that comes up, there could be a few fireworks. 😉

11:33 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I have been bummed about no sports since this all started, of course. But it really hit me last night just how much of my entertainment consists of sports. There is just a handful of shows that I care to watch, and then some news. Last night I sank to the new low of watching a re-run of an NBA game from this season on NBA League Pass while on the elliptical. And it was one I had already watched live.

11:34 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I tried watching Tiger King the other night. I made it about 15 into the first episode and just couldn’t do it.

11:40 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I enjoyed the bball radio replays more than I thought I would, but by the time they played the last one I was sort of over it. I do plan on loading the nattys from 78, 96, and 2012 to my YouTube page (audio only with maybe team photos from Google Images) and hope I don’t get banned. I hate that I forgot to record the 98 natty. Grrr!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Know what you mean, Clutch; the MLB network is showing “classic” baseball games, like last night a Yankees game from the late ’70’s…no can do.

11:46 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Some of the Reds’ World Series games from the 70s are on YouTube. I may have to check some of them out. Ahhh, the glory days of Sparky Anderson and the Big Red Machine. What a team. One person referred to it as “We’re the Cincinnati Reds and we’re here to kick your (rear ends)!”

9. ukblue22
    11:21 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Please tell me you’re going to cover the new Cannonball Run record being set this week during this time of decreased road traffic.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

No kidding? I didn’t even know they were still holding that race. I loved the movie. Always thought it would be cool to do a cross-country trip in a fast car sometime. Have thought about doing the Power Tour several times, but can’t work up the courage to drive 1960’s technology across several states without a support crew and a trunkload of tools and spare parts. Plus, my back is getting too old to handle those non-supportive 1967 Camaro seats with no legroom.

11:42 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t forget the original movie that CR copied: Gumball Rally.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:33 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t been posting much lately. Since there is nothing going on with all the virus crap, I have taken it upon myself to try to get all the home improvement projects done. Last night had to install a new dishwasher, after mowing the lawn. Last week started building a new 4-board fence, then the nail gun took a crap. Spent the last hour trying to find a rebuild kit for it. Also trying to get grass to grow in my back yard instead of weeds, trimming hedges, cutting down trees, painting shed, blah blah blah. Oh, yeah, have to put brakes on daughter’s car this weekend too. Geesh! I envy the rich dudes who can just unfold a few benjamins and pay someone to do all this crap. 🙁

• Laker Cat 18
      11:35 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I’ve got a similar list on my honey-do…How much do you charge?

11:44 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

I wish I had your skills though man. I’ve learned more over the years, but I’m still no Bob Vila or Gas Monkey Garage guy.

• RealCatsFan
      12:09 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

LC, as the saying goes, good, fast, or cheap, pick any two. 🙂 I am slow and probably overpriced.

cg, it’s a double-edged sword. If I was blissfully ignorant of this stuff and making lots of loot at my job I could just hire the pro’s to do it for me. But since I know how, and I am a notorious cheapskate, I suck at delegating projects like this, and it is wearing my old ass out.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:38 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

How much of his salary is Emmert giving up?

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:39 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

The new Tiger King episode is supposed to drop on Sunday. Good news!

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:55 am April 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the Louisville police said they wouldn’t respond to burglaries. I commented on the KSR post and said “Yeah, burglaries never turn violent. Okay”. Some smart butt replied and yelled at me with something like “You have to take care of it yourself! Okay!” A prior comment by him/her seemed to indicate that they may be a cop or retired cop. Anyway, I replied with “I’m prepared to do that smart guy. But if I…ummm…make a mess, are they going to come clean it up, or do I have to do that too?”