KSR Show Thread 3/24: We’ve got sports news to discuss!

In a world with no live sports, we’ll take every bit of news we can get our hands on right now.

And over the last 24 hours, there was plenty of it.

This morning, Matt Jones and the KSR crew are LIVE from 10 a.m. to noon to discuss Somerset quarterback Kaiya Sheron and his commitment to Kentucky, the Olympics being officially postponed, more accolades and honors for the UK basketball team, and the latest from John Calipari when he speaks to the media this morning.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

61 Comments for KSR Show Thread 3/24: We’ve got sports news to discuss!

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:56 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Cool, have not seen that one since; I do recall Macy totally befuddled them that day, and was auto at the foul line.

• runningunnin.454
      10:05 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

NO SHOT CLOCK til ’85, ha ha

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

BTW, you can thank the user named Lipman 1 for getting that to me. I only added the intro with the Wildcat and war drums sound effects and then uploaded it.

Now I have to actually watch it since I missed the broadcast!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

If you haven’t clicked the link, it’s the 1978 Elite Eight game against Michigan State with their freshman Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

• Realme
      10:39 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Nice, Chris.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

So Aaron Torres is projecting EJ and IQ to return next year. I like his thinking! Mrs RCF read somewhere that someone upped the odds of IQ returning from 50/50 to 70/30. I sure hope so!

• JTHinton
      10:14 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I think Quickley can be a First Team All-American (and probably preseason SEC POY) should he return, and I would love to see him back.

I think we are all assuming that EJ comes back but I’m not so sure. Last year he was 60/40 or 50/50 stay/leave and I don’t think he wants a third year of school. However, he saw how it all paid off for Nick Richards, so hopefully, he comes back!

3. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Hard to be optimistic about the football team when we may not have a season. Cool Fall nights and no football is worse than no March Madness.

• JTHinton
      10:15 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Surely they’ll have a season … most flu/flu-like viruses tend to taper off when it gets hot.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Our economy can’t take that. No way no how.

All I can say is I sure could use…

• Realme
      10:24 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

This is not acceptable.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

SUCKS!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I pray you’re right JT!

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

My worry is that the regular flu usually flares back up in the fall. The 1918/19 pandemic really blew up in the fall. My hope is that by then we will have widespread testing available that can identify it quickly, better treatments for serious cases, and let’s all pray for it – a vaccine.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Aside from the obvious health and economic damage, the thought of no football scares me. That would be much worse than no March Madness. I’m assuming we will have turned the corner with this by the time football season would normally start, but all off-season work that they can’t do in the meantime is going to be a problem.

4. Realme
    10:21 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Did Matt just say Ramsey’s is over? brb gotta go jump off a bridge

• JTHinton
      10:23 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

If I heard it right, they’ve closed temporarily and he’s insinuating that they may not re-open. But I think he’s just guessing. I sure hope he’s just guessing!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

What is Ramsey’s?

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I heard KFC is delivering; cheer up, ha ha.

• Realme
      10:26 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Good thing he’s wrong a lot? Fingers crossed. I’ve only seen Alfalfa’s as permanently closed so far.

• Realme
      10:28 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Ramsey’s Diner, local place I love. I can’t live without that cajun catfish. Pass on kfc, I’ll drive to Popeyes.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I gotcha. Whew.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Ramsey’s is a national treasure. Most of the nation just doesn’t know about it. 🙂

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

BTW, I hope J-Dub is okay. She hasn’t been here in several days.

• Realme
      10:29 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, we heard from BP, but not Jdub. 🙁

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Hope she didn’t take a cruise. I’m sure they have dropped anchor.

6. cats646
    10:29 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m from Wayne county so I hate somerset lol. But I’ll cheer for this kid now!! I really think he is the real deal!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Sloan from Wayne is a stud. He needs to be on UK’s short list.

7. Realme
    10:36 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt Doomsday Jones is back. So uplifting.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Watched an old episode of Two and a Half Men last night. Charlie found out Alan’s girlfriend worked for a betting outfit, and was trying to get betting info without his brother knowing it. He asked her which was the better school…Kentucky or UNC. She replied Kentucky is a much better school…ha ha. Yep, I don’t recall having any fake classes at UK.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

That was a good show.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Congrats to Sheron on the commitment, but coming from someone around the area, I’m surprised a bit by this. He’ll have a more comparable role to Walker Wood or Drew Barker. Just doesn’t fit the UK mold in my opinion.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I have to SMH at the idiots in the comment section acting like he’s a “Joker recruit” and we shouldn’t be happy about this one.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:00 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been around football in the Somerset area for over a decade, come back in 3-4 years and tell me I’m wrong. Give the kid a chance by not expecting him to be a Terry Wilson, Stephen Johnson, or Joey Gatewood…that’s all I’m saying. Different style of a QB.

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Well, the mod bot doesn’t like that I clarified my response to make it clear that I wasn’t blasting you, Laker Cat.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

The mysterious mod-bot. Gotta love it – NOT!

• Laker Cat 18
      12:04 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

I just feel like we wasted Wood’s time by picking him up when he was a great local player, he was built for another offensive scheme. (Maybe he was okay sitting the bench for a few years, I don’t know.) This was really highlighted when Terry went down, Sawyer went down, and Wood never got a look at the spot. I see similar writing on the wall with Sheron. I hope UK doesn’t waste his time. I want him to succeed somewhere.

• ClutchCargo
      12:10 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know that giving a kid a free ride to college is really wasting his time if that’s the route he chooses to go. Plus, his teammate was Jedrick Wills. Anybody can transfer if their situation isn’t working for them.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:46 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt doesn’t like Friends…that figures. Very good show, and those kids get 20 million each per year residuals.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Shannon rockin out the Black Keys for us. That album always brings back fond memories for us. Mrs RCF is a huge fan of them, and in 2012 when “El Camino” was released, I bought her tickets to their concert in Indy as a Christmas present. So the concert was in late March, and we listened to the CD all the way up there and back. The concert was great, we had an awesome time in Indy, we got to rep BBN in all the local bars up there (remember IU had beat UK in the regular season, so they thought they were all that), and the Cats and AD went on to win the title. And the song Shannon played, “Lonely Boy”, was featured in all the NCAA Tournament promotions that year. Ahhh, some good memories in a crummy time. I hope others enjoyed my trip down Memory Lane. I don’t want to come back.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Being sentenced to watch “wrasslin” for the rest of my life wouldn’t work out well for me.

Seinfeld would be my choice for a comedy, but one of my favorite shows is “CBS Sunday Morning”. Almost always some uplifiting, interesting stories, and lots of variety to keep boredom away.

• Realme
      10:54 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I can’t choose between Seinfeld and Walking Dead.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

The Walking Dead or Better Call Saul right now for me. The streaming shows like Jack Ryan, Ozark and Hanna I definitely enjoyed, but it’s too easy to just binge watch them and then what.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:19 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Larry McMurtry also wrote “The Last Picture Show”…excellent book, and a good movie. Anyone reading books these days?…I’m so bored, I guess I’ll get Matt’s book.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky Joe is the COVID-19 of the musical world.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

That was nasty; no Hank Williams Sr is he? Acuff-Rose told old Hank to write a song about seeing an old flame with someone else, and they gave him 20 minutes to prove he actually wrote the songs he played for them…he wrote a No. 1 song, now that’s talent.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Regarding the changes to College BB – why not go to 6 fouls? If they are going to call all these BS fouls, that would keep it from penalizing a player who is the victim of a bad call as much as it does now. If a guy gets two quick ticky-tack fouls, he usually has to sit the rest of the half. You still have the penalty of shooting FT’s to discourage fouling.

Either do that or LET THEM PLAY THE FRIGGIN’ GAME! 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I hereby nominate you for President of the NCAA.

• JTHinton
      11:37 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never understood the point of having a foul limit. No other sport does it; why should basketball have it?

• CrystalBall
      11:37 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Will probably go to 6 fouls about the same time they go to 4 quarters and move the 3 point line back.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Sorry rg, I already have a job that drives me crazy…

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Then there’s no hope; we’re stuck with Emmert.

• ClutchCargo
      12:06 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m afraid that the result would be foul inflation. Look at what having the tool of instant replay has done to the game. I don’t think we can trust the officials to do the right thing with this.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Who are they talking about whose wife looks like Mitch? I would have to feel sorry for the guy…

17. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Years ago, I wanted to own a falcon or harpy eagle; but, the federal license and other expenses would have exceeded $2000. So much for that.
    If people visit the guy with the tiger, bet no one says, “here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Chester’s call raises a question with me: if trump was a referee, which one would he be? I think Doug Shows. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am March 24, 2020 Permalink

Rooferee, with the hair.

• ClutchCargo
      12:07 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

Well, he would still get to tweet to his heart’s content regardless. Sorry for the dad joke, I’m out.

19. 2thepoint