KSR Show Thread 2/11: Vanderbilt Preview

Another day, another road game for your beloved Wildcats, as Kentucky is set to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores this evening in Nashville.

And the KSR crew has everything you need to get you ready for the matchup.

This morning, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, and Shannon the Dude are set to move past Kentucky’s win over Tennessee, preview tonight’s game, and break down individual players to watch out for, among other goofy topics and segments.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

65 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/11: Vanderbilt Preview

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Guard the 3 line tonight; Vandy hit 12 threes to beat LSU.

10:06 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

What is more demoralizing to a defense – having the opponent hit a deep three, or leaving the lane open for a rim rattling dunk-and-one?

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

What is demoralizing on the “and one” is the touch foul. If you’re going to foul, foul HARD and prevent the bucket.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Of course, if Nick is late or out of position, I would rather he just let the guy have the bucket; can’t have him sitting on the bench.

10:31 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

As I said yesterday, those stupid “touch fouls” where the defender did not affect the shot in any way need to go away. Way too many “and-one” opportunities on ridiculous calls. If the defender is just standing there with his hands up, it should NEVER be a foul call. The rule of verticality is routinely ignored by the refs.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:56 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I think Rupp was really tough on players who fouled and still gave up the basket.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:05 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Hope the Cats don’t backslide into not taking their opposition seriously as they have tended to do this year. Otherwise I am afraid that they could fall victim to the “Memorial Magic” at Vandy.

On a sidenote, a trip down to NashVegas to watch the Cats play down there in their funky gym is on the bucket list for Mrs RCF and me. We were seriously thinking about it this year because daughter #1 has a visit to WKU, and it would be halfway, but alas, her trip is not happening until Friday.

Go Cats! beat the Commodes!

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I went to a game in Memorial several years ago (Rondo was still playing for UK at the time) with some guys just to check it out. It’s pretty easy to move from section to section there, almost like a high school gym. We started out in the nosebleed seats in the endzone, and then “upgraded” ourselves to seats 3 rows off the floor in the opposite endzone when it became obvious the people whose seats they were weren’t going to show up.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Once again, Dook got a favorable call at the end of a game. Sometimes I think refs are blind and have echolocation like bats to keep them from walking into walls.

• Realme
      10:16 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Was that the highlight I saw on Twitter this morning where a Duke guy elbowed a dude in the face so they called a foul on Fla St?

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Actually, Dook’s Hurt didn’t touch the guy, his team mate hit him in the face. However, it should have been a no-call; that cylinder call was ridiculous…even Homer Bilas couldn’t justify that one.

• StillBP
      10:20 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

he was swinging those bows so hard. unbelievable call. Even Jay Bias was dumbdounded.

• StillBP
      10:21 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

uh…dumbfounded lol

• StillBP
      10:23 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

rg you sure about that? Hurt nailed him in the head. Plus he fouled right before that too and that wasn’t called either.

10:28 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I missed it, and from the sound of things, I’m glad I did.

I have a bad feeling that dook might be just good enough to get their usual cakewalk to the FF and might sneak out with another one this year. Kind of a consolation prize from the NCAA since their evil Zion World Dominance plot failed last year.

• StillBP
      10:31 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Actually I just saw some slow-mo shots and it looks like you’re right Rg. FL St dude was faking

10:33 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

So if Fla St guy was faking, they should have called him for a flop. I thought that was supposed to be another “point of emphasis” this year.

• Realme
      10:43 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I was so excited about that point of emphasis. Clearly it is fine if the officials just choose to disregard it. We had one opponent issued a warning. Any actual penalties happen in a game you guys have watched this year?

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Well, the Fla State guy didn’t flop, his team mate did hit him in the face. I still say it was a no-call, and Dook should not have shot FT’s.

• StillBP
      10:47 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Okay so I need to slow down. Was typing and had employees coming in asking questions. Need to fix my comment.

He wasn’t faking, rg is right, his own teammate hit him in the face. In real time it looks like Hurt did. In slow mo you can see his teammates hand accidentally hit him.

Sorry for the confusion. I need to settle down over here 🙂 if you click on the Tweet of the play in the early morning post, you can see in the comments the slow mo version.

10:47 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I think the warning gives them too much leeway. Instead of 1 warning per player per game, make it a season-long warning. Once a player has a warning issued in a game, they have to wear a little badge that says “I’m a Flopper” on it for the rest of the season, so the refs know they don’t get another warning if they flop again. 😀

• Realme
      10:57 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

LIke^

4. Realme
    10:25 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

This is entirely too much talk about Dayton. Don’t care.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

So what the heck was Matt whispering about? I was actually talking to my boss at the time with my earbud in. Kind of disconcerting to have Matt whispering sweet nothings in my ear while talking business with the boss. 😉

• Realme
      10:28 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Something about a potential grad transfer from William and Mary. I only leave an earbud in when I really want the person to go away.

10:29 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Welp, I guess I wanted the boss to go away. 😉

• Realme
      10:31 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I have one coworker who drones on and on without saying anything. She doesn’t seem to care if I’m listening. 🙂

10:35 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I get a lot of customers on the phone like that.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen Dayton several times, and Toppin is good; but, the POY is Jones of Dook; without him, they’re nothing.

10:36 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Sadly, I kind of have to agree. And he is every bit as annoying as his older dookie brother was.

• Realme
      10:37 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Gross.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to gross you out, ha ha.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Brandee sounds like a fine girl… 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Her eyes could steal a sailor from the sea, Yup.

10:48 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

But could they steal Matt Jones from KSR?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I saw a long article on the web where the writer addressed an apparently ongoing debate about whether that song falls under the “Yacht Rock” category. Haha (he said no). I had never heard that term until like a year or 2 ago. I do remember thinking in the early 80’s “Wow, you have ‘Cool Change’ by LIttle River Band, ‘Southern Cross’ by Crosby, Stills, and Nash (Young with them then RG?), ‘Sailing’ by Christopher Cross, so I noticed a definite trend, but I didn’t think those silky smooth, soothing songs would one day be called Yacht Rock.

I loved those 3 songs, but “Brandy”…meh.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Young was with them on that one; but, I could be wrong.

8. J-Dub421
    10:44 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

The doctor who inseminated a bunch of women with his own baby batter should have his junk smashed between two large rocks.

10:58 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Or let each woman who he impregnated have one good kick while he is restrained in a spread-eagle position.

9. Realme
    10:46 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

SCREW OFF MICHIGAN STATE!

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:46 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I love hearing Matt freak out about guns. Where are they today? They’re broadcasting from a government building?

Anyway, I don’t care to open up a discussion about carrying in a government building, but Matt, fists are weapons. Feet are weapons. When I’m disarmed I’m at a disadvantage because I’m so short, and I’m not getting younger.

Some don’t want people carrying in a theater or church building because even if good guys are shooting back it will be a “Gunfight at the OK Corral”. Tell that to the gentleman who took out the church shooter in Texas. BTW, Pierce Morgan said that (the “OK Corral” thing) to Jesse Ventura, who said he could have stopped the theater shooter if he had been there (the nut who shot people during the Batman movie).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and a somewhat humorous anecdote: the guy that cuts my hair is a bigger guy, and he used to take martial arts in his younger days and knew how to use it. However, he said he’s too old for that now, so when someone asks him “Do you take Tae Kwon Do? Kung Fu?” He says “No. I’m too old so it’s now ‘Me Shoot You’!” In self-defense only of course.

10:56 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure where they are, but yes, I do think it is a government facility.

IMO, the dudes carrying their weapons were just trying to stir up crap. And I think Matt has a point that it was kind of ridiculous that people toting guns got to bypass the metal detectors while others still had to go through it.

Do you think that a bunch of Islamic dudes should be allowed to congregate in a public building with assault weapons?

I’m in favor of people being able to carry a concealed or non concealed firearm for protection, but I can also see how normal folks would be set on edge seeing a bunch of dudes walking around with AR-15’s. How do you know that they are “good guys”?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:01 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t hear that whole thing about the metal detectors, so yeah, that sounds very weird. He said something about them wearing masks I think, so if that’s true then I definitely don’t like that.

True, you don’t know who are the good guys, but as I understand it, the states that have passed Constitutional Carry (no permit needed to carry handgun) have not seen increases in crime. I stand to be corrected.

• Realme
      11:04 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

So cowardly to participate in any form of demonstration or protest with your face covered.

11:43 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I agree, Realme. If you believe strongly enough to demonstrate publicly, then go all the way and don’t hide behind a mask or scarf.

11:46 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

cg, too early to collect any meaningful data on the repeal of concealed carry laws. IMO, it was a dumb idea, and I know a lot of people who carry who agree with me. It reminds me of when they repealed helmet laws in Kentucky. Inevitably, motorcycle fatalities have gone up – you can maybe ascribe some of it to more traffic, or more bikes on the road, but common sense says that if you don’t have anything on to protect your melon from that hard concrete, the odds aren’t good.

11. CrystalBall
    10:47 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

As usual, interesting comments. Really enjoy reading comments and opinions from Big Blue fans. Thanks to KSR for providing
    this forum, and to all of you who participate. Enjoy your day, and join me in enjoying tonights Victory. GOCATS.
    Does anyone have a current update on Hayley? God bless her and the Robic family.

10:50 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I know that Coach Robic has missed a game or two to be with her when she was receiving treatments, but I have not head anything about a donor being located. I pray that they will find a donor soon.

• CrystalBall
      10:54 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Have heard there has been an overwhelming response from those volunteering to be tested.

• Realme
      10:55 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Thanks CB, you too. Haven’t heard anything since they said Coach was absent from a game because they were doing the step to see who will match with her a couple weeks ago…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Yes, prayers for them.

• Realme
      10:56 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

*The step where she gets tested, which they did after getting a group of potential donors.

12. cats646
    11:08 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

AK-15?? Lol. Matt is no longer allowed to have a stance on gun control. Haha

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Call it a Kalashnikov, and totally confuse him, ha ha. BTW, lot of people think AR 15 stands for assault rife or automatic rifle; but, AR stands for Armalite, the company that developed it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Correct, Armalite Rifle. Lol at Matt.

11:41 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I am into the big loud go-fast powerboats, and most people who are not enthusiasts call all of them “cigarette boats” or even worse, “cigar boats”. Cigarette is a South Florida manufacturer of the offshore power boats, but there are lots of other makes like Fountain, Baja, Velocity, Donzi, etc. So a lot of people refer to weapons that are styled after the military assault rifles collectively as “AK47’s”, since those gained a certain level of notoriety from earlier mass shootings.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Aargh, I play “Beth” by Kiss on my big Martin D28; it is their highest charting single in the U.S.
    Matt should not talk about music at all.

14. Realme
    11:35 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Chris! What happened with Mark Buerger / SMST? Leach brought the show back and he decided not to stay?

15. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, will someone ask Ryan if “the postman” always rings twice? 😀

16. runningunnin.454
    11:46 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Ole Miss beat Florida by 17; there are no gimmees.

11:48 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Florida is a major disappointment this year. I think the bloom might be off the rose for Mike White. Aaron Torres tore him apart in his podcast the other day. Wonder if it will affect their recruiting down the road?

17. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Matt trying to do an Elvis impersonation might be the funniest thing I hear all day! 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Can he do the thing with the hips? Good scene in Forrest Gump…do that little walk and slow it down some. Elvis’ voice was by Kurt Russel in an uncredited role.

18. Bluehender
    12:30 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

A lot of great songs from the late 60s, The Letter had a very soulful sound, I thought it was a black group but they are all white boys. They also had hits with Cry Like a Baby and Soul Deep.