KSR Show Thread 11/1: LIVE from Barleycorn’s in Northern Kentucky

Turn that radio dial, BBN! It’s time for KSR!

Today, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, and Drew Franklin are all LIVE from Northern Kentucky at Barleycorn’s Cold Springs this morning from 10 a.m. to noon.

There, the KSR crew will break down Kentucky’s exhibition matchup this evening against Kentucky State University, whether or not Matt gave out candy on Halloween, and their upcoming trip to New York for the Champions Classic.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

58 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/1: LIVE from Barleycorn’s in Northern Kentucky

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Finally was able to watch a Miami game last night; Herro and Bam looked really good. Most impressive thing was their team play; both with some excellent passes, Bam with 7 assists. Miami is a fun team to watch.

10:33 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

So has Miami taken the place of NOLA as the NBA team that Cats fans have “adopted”? They do have Pat Riley as the owner after all. Bonus points, in my mind.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

OKC is up there for me. SGA is really coming along as an NBA pg.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:52 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

And again Reddish couldn’t hit anything. Is it bad that I’m enjoying watching him struggle? I’m not sorry that I’m not sorry.

• Realme
      10:59 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Any Duke fails are wins for society.

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Grayson Allen might be the only player from a hated college rival that I still actively root against. I do want the UK guys to do well,but the NBA is a different world and I have no problem cheering for former dookies or Cards if they can help my NBA team.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

WHO?

• 4everUKBlue
      2:14 pm November 1, 2019 Permalink

I guess I’m just different, I will never cheer for any former dookie.

2. Realme
    10:16 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m going to make an effort to watch more women’s games this year. Rhyne sounds like she shouldn’t be missed.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, watched her last year; she has two gold medals with USA Basketball, U18 and U 19. I think she was national freshman player of the year.

10:34 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

UK has been blessed with some exceptional female athletes in the past few years. Rhyne, Sydney, and Leah on the women’s VB team.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:18 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

All this talk about Nick Richards’ scoring avg is misguided. He just needs to be a defense and rebounding machine who can hit shots in the lane when left open.

• Realme
      10:19 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I feel like you might be asking a lot. But nothing would make me happier.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes, we need a rim protector especially IMO.

10:42 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Rim protector and the auto-lob are two things that I really want to see brought back for UK basketball. You have to have a certain level of aggression to be a really good rim protector, and I’m afraid that Nick just doesn’t have this. Think WCS, Nerlens, AD – those guys would take personal affront to anyone getting a shot off within 8 feet of them.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m afraid that might be the one missing piece that completes this team, RCF.

11:22 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and it seems like we have been missing that one piece for years now. If we could have just got Wiseman or the grad transfer who went to UF, we would have all the pieces. Damn you, Penny!

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:22 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, I haven’t been in since Monday I think. I’m swamped this week! I guess I really am trying to give 99.9%

Dumbest KSR comment I’ve read this week: someone the other day/night said Max Duffy ran out of bounds on the fake punt to avoid getting hit. SERIOUSLY??? Has that commenter ever seen Aussie rules football? Those guys are tough as nails and play without pads.

Anyway, I did notice that he could have gotten 5 or so more yards, but I have a feeling with Stoopss conservative nature, he’s told Duffy to not get hurt. I would too when I have the best punter in the country.

• Realme
      10:31 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I watched Australian rules fb for the first time recently. Wild.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

The Worldwide Leader showed it a LOT in the 80’s when they weren’t as big time as they are now. It’s cool to watch something different like that sometimes.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t believe I have seen any Aussie rules football since the early days of ESPN. But there is a reason American football players need pads and helmets.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Some people think the game would actually be safer without helmets because guys wouldn’t use their head as a weapon (not intentionally anyway). I don’t know if that’s true, but it’s an interesting thought.

10:55 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

There’s too much incidental contact IMO, cg. That argument is along the lines of the people who don’t wear their seatbelts because they think it is safer to be “thrown clear of the wreck”. Brilliant reasoning. πŸ˜‰

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I can definitely see that side of it. It’s just that SEC guys are so much bigger/stronger/faster and punters aren’t really built or adequately protected from those full speed hits that running backs can absorb.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky State’s Travis “Machine Gun” Grant holds the record for most collegiate career points; he scored more career points than the ncaa leader, Pete Maravich, and led K State to 3 consecutive NAIA titles.
    7’0″ Elmore Smith played 8 years in the NBA, and was know as the “Rejector” He still holds the single game block record at 17.
    The big schools didn’t want to schedule them back in the day.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Wow! What years did those guys play at K State? I think I mentioned this before when you talked about those guys, but I saw Transy play the Thorobreds when I was a kid, but I don’t know if those guys were on the team. Lee Rose was Transy’s coach and this would have been late 60’s or early 70’s.

BTW, in an effort to be PC, Grant & Maravich from now on should be known respectively as “Super Soaker” Grant & “Squirt Pistol” Pete.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

And apparently I like the word “but” and the phrase “those guys”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Those teams were ’70- ’72. I saw them play Ky Wesleyan in Owensboro…a real barn-burner. Wesleyan was also good at that time. UK beat Ole Miss by something like 18 points both times…Wesleyan beat Ole Miss by FIFTY…good scheduling there, Rebels.

10:37 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

That is some really cool info, rg. Thanks for sharing that!

cg, I am absolutely shocked that you were able to get the words “squirt”, “gun” and “soaker” past the modbot, especially all in one post! πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:39 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

That is impressive.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I knew someone would go there, and I should have known it would be our Camaro drivin’, kiss stealin’, wheelin’ dealin’ son of a gun!!! WOO!!!!!!!!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:45 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I may have seen those guys (ha) play RG, and had no idea how good they were. I don’t remember at all the result of the game, but it was fun to see Transy games. Speaking of guns, I remember the guy dressed as a pioneer and I think he carried a musket just like West Virginia’s mountaineer dude. If I’m right, does Transy still do that?

10:53 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Kiss stealin’? πŸ˜€ Now I’m blushing. And for the record, I paid for all my Kiss records back in the day.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:01 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

That whole thing is a Ric Flair reference. I changed “Limo ridin'” to “Camaro drivin'”!

11:11 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

cg, I may have to change my MO. This ride is looking awfully sweet to me!

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Beautiful; but, that price tag is not so beautiful.

11:20 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

You have to pay to play, rg. πŸ™‚ If it had the hemi or the 440 six pack, it would be an easy half-mil.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

LOOOOVE the muscle cars man, and Dodge/Plymouth made some of the most unique ones with design and names. Who couldn’t love a muscle car called The Road Runner, The Barracuda (hat tip to Heart’s song also)? Not to mention The Super Bird.

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I had a Road Runner; had that goofy cartoon “beep beep” horn. A while back I saw a Super Bird going down the road…and did a double take, totally forgot that car.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:58 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I have a neat coffee table muscle car book that gives all the specs in addition to great photos and history.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:59 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I found it really cheap in a bargain bin years ago.

12:55 pm November 1, 2019 Permalink

At the Mike Linnings’ car show a couple weeks ago there was an orange hemi powerd SuperBird, rg. Real deal car. Back in the late 70’s they couldn’t give those cars away. Guzzled gas, and they had that crazy wing on the back and nose cone on the front. A lot of people couldn’t get them to fit in their garage!

6. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

When you have an exceptional player, you need to have him on the court or field with the ball in his hands as much as possible. That separates good coaches from also-rans. Remember when we barely got Randall Cobb any touches against UT? I saw my share of this with the HS volleyball team that I followed this year. Drives me crazy!

7. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Can’t keep Quickley off the court; going to have a big year.

10:51 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and I love that kid. Quality dude!

8. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I think Mike Harmon should go “all in” on having Ryan stump for him – release a video with Ryan wearing a Harmon t-shirt and doing one of his “pep talks”, complete with him ripping off his shirt and crowd surfing. #surewinner

• Realme
      10:57 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Would be much better than the commercials I’m hearing this week.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Matt should put his tracker on the spot and make him say if he is a UL or UK fan. If he is a UL fan, Matt shouldn’t have to worry about him showing up at any more KSR remotes. πŸ˜‰

11:17 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Of course, if he takes after The Turtle, he would just lie about it anyway…

10. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

What Matt is describing is known as a secondary brain tumor. It means that there is a primary cancerous tumor somewhere else in the body that has metastasized to the brain, rather than originating there like it did with my dad. Coincidentally, today is the one-year anniversary of when he went Home to the Lord. πŸ™

11:16 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like he went to the staff doctors with specific symptoms (headache, dizziness, etc), and it was brushed off. Folks, when something seems “off”, follow up on it until you get an answer. Alex Trebek is another example of how risky it can be to ignore symptoms that just don’t go away. My philosophy is rule out the stuff that can kill you first.

• Realme
      11:19 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Shouldn’t they have been able to tell something was wrong and needed to be followed up on by doing normal bloodwork?

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Will always be a tough day…best wishes. Those days are always days of infamy.

11:24 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Thanks RG. We’re just glad that he picked All Saints Day to make the journey rather than Halloween. Kind of fitting.

11:26 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I am not aware of a blood test that would necessarily disclose a malignant tumor, unless it’s some kind of leukemia or maybe lymphoma. You usually find this through imaging like CT scans, PET scans, or MRI. I have read that research is being done to try to develop a blood test that can detect cancer.

• Realme
      11:32 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m always getting weird blood count results and the internet will say it’s a possible cancer sign (I’m fine, that’s just the google machine πŸ™‚ ). That’s where I got the idea that someone with cancer would have crazy white blood cell counts or whatever.

11:41 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

You can absolutely scare the bejeezus out of yourself doing Google searches for symptoms.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am November 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m not so sure that Izzo would have come to UK. He is from Michigan, and he built MSU up into a power. He just doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would thrive in the UK fishbowl. Kind of like Donovan.