KSR Show Thread, 1/13: Recapping the loss to Bama

The Kentucky Basketball fun was short lived and now we have a 20-point home loss to discuss on today’s therapy edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Tune in as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude recap what all went wrong against Alabama last night.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

115 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 1/13: Recapping the loss to Bama

1. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

• Bluehender
      10:13 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Brilliant rg…

10:25 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

No way. That team has leadership. Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

10:57 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I have noticed that very few females appreciate the deep comic genius that is The Three Stooges. 😉

11:27 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I used to watch them when I was a kid. Probably would still appreciate if I bothered to watch.

11:44 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

For me, it was the sound effects that made it really funny. 😀

2. ClutchCargo
    9:57 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

How do I go about requesting my two hours back?

• Rixter
      10:11 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

and it’s more than 2 hours, really. I’m dragging today from staying up watching, then grumbling myself to sleep

10:21 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I turned it off with about 5 minutes to go and went ahead and got a head start on the grumbling.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:09 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Well let’s look at the bright side, we “could” still run the table in the SEC.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:17 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Did anyone see the Bama guy hobbling around under the goal, and we didn’t throw the ball in there; I had to laugh.

10:21 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

That was the moment I knew for sure we were going down. Why couldn’t they hear me yelling at the TV to throw it to Sarr?

10:30 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

My favorite was when Allen was wide open on the left side, and Mintz, who was also wide open on the left side was like pointing at him while whoever had the ball was not accomplishing anything on the other side where all the defenders were.

10:34 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

This team has the lowest basketball IQ since the 2012-13 team. I don’t know where the team went that played against Florida, but we need them back. And it wasn’t just that Florida is bad, we actually looked like we had played basketball before. Last night, not so much. Somebody on another thread mentioned that it might be that they created their own distractions last weekend and have been dealing with that ever since. Maybe that’s part of it.

• 206Bones
      12:33 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

I have watched Mintz time after time not pass Allen the ball when he was open.

5. Bluehender
    10:17 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Cal will never do it, but this team needs to be practicing zone defense and zone trapping press. We have no offense. We can’t stay in front of anyone in defense. The zone and zone press would create opportunities to score and keep people from driving the lane. But he won’t do it…

• Bluehender
      10:18 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

The one thing we do have is length. And depth…I guess that’s two things we have

10:23 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

At the very least, how about some help defense when a guy blows past our defender on the perimeter? We never rotate a man over to block the path and take the charge. I could drive my truck with the boat in tow down the open lanes they had.

• Bluehender
      10:42 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Poor coaching RCF? You are right. What you are describing is non exsistent at the moment

11:00 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Blue, any competent coaching staff should have been able to recognize that and make the adjustment. Yes, if the off-ball defender leaves his man, that leaves him open, but if he gets the charge, it won’t matter because it stops the play AND gets a foul on the opponent. I usually hate the block/charge call, but in this case it was obvious that we needed to do it at least a couple of times to discourage the penetration. These guys are all trying to play individual defense instead of TEAM defense. That won’t work at this level.

6. secrick
    10:22 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

We are awful on 3 point defense. Pratt said Ky wants to play inside out. Our big guys have no idea what that means. Throw it in to me and i am shooting never go back outside for the 3 or maybe back to them. I think Allen may be the best player on the team.

10:27 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Bama was constantly running screens to get their shooters open. Our guys don’t seem to know how to competently set a pick, much less rub a defender off of it.

• secrick
      10:32 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Hard to believe we can’t set a screen to get a kid open for a three. POOR COACHING

7. Southky
    10:24 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

They did me a favor disrespecting the flag and our country at Florida. For the first time I can remember I didn’t watch one second of the game. UK basketball used to be a solace fir me. A way to get away from the problems of the world but now politics are injected into even amateur sports. The University of Kentucky represents the state like it or not and Kentucky is still mostly a conservative and patriotic state. I’ll be back when politics are out of sports in general.

• secrick
      10:30 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

SOUTHKY, I agree. Did watch the game but only because i love college basketball. Didn’t lose any sleep over the loss.

11:01 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I’m ready to move on from the kneeling, and I think the team needs to do the same. We don’t need any more distractions.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Ugly loss, and on top of it, we had to listen to Vitale drivelling on for two hours. At one point, even my daughter yelled “shut up!” At the TV.

10:29 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Dukie V always seems that much more irritating during a frustrating loss.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:28 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Preach, Shannon! People keep throwing around words like “outdated” and “antiquated” with regard to our offensive approach. It’s about the personnel right now.

10. BigBlue4Three
    10:28 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Depth? Sorry but our starting 5 can’t even compete with Alabama’s subs? I guess we have mediocre depth to back up our mediocre starters.

And at what point does Boston take a seat on the bench and stay there. Horrible shot selection, turnover machine, shooting 16% from 3 pt line on second most attempts for the season and ZERO defense, yet still gets 25-30 mins a game.

10:34 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Boston got his ass torched so many times last night that he probably had to sit on an icepack.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I would say that the good news is that we could possibly get almost all of these guys back next year. The bad news is that I am not sure it will matter. I have lost confidence that this coaching staff will get them to improve.

• BigBlue4Three
      10:37 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Why is that good news? Guys that can’t shoot nor play defense are not what we need. There is no way we get Clarke or Boston back (which is a good thing). We will also not have Jackson back and that is NOT a good thing.

11:03 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I’m hoping that at least Allen will hang around, and not transfer. Now that he is finally getting some PT, he probably will stay.

12. Realme
    10:31 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I’m late, sounds like they’re trying to analyze that game. Here’s a summary: we played like shit. More frustrating now, since we just saw what they are capable of.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

You surely didn’t try to watch that game Live, did you?

10:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, I only didn’t watch the Miss st game live. Once they won that I thought it was safe.

10:43 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I watched it kinda live (started about 20 minutes late on DVR so I could ff through commercials). Not sure if that was a good strategy, since it was then non-stop frustration not broken up by timeouts.

11:43 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, that game might have driven me back out to the garage for a while. Of course, I have volleyball tournaments this whole weekend, so I probably won’t be able to watch it live anyway.

13. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Did anyone notice how many times out Cal called last night? Oh, I forgot…GO GO. Maybe he should yell MOVE MOVE. I could guard a tree.

10:47 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, he was coaching his ass off, wasn’t he?

14. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

So where does this travesty rank in the history of bad home losses for UK? I can’t remember any this bad, even during the BCG years or the probation years.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

The ’88-89 team had a home loss that bad to Indiana; but, that team finished 13-19. Do we think this team can win 13 games?

10:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Is it that bad? Bama looked really good.

• JTHinton
      11:08 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

RCF, to me this wasn’t all that bad because Alabama is just that good. Other than Tennessee, BCG-era SEC was weak and we didn’t play teams this good.

If cal won’t change the style of play, at least pull a Tony Bennett and grind out every possession. If you’re going to let Bama score at will, try to at least limit possessions and wear our their defense

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:15 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I wasn’t planning on chiming in today, partly because I’m busy but also because this team has me bummed. I didn’t believe the kneeling & the aftermath had anything to do with last night, but I’m not so sure any more. If they didn’t expect blowback, that was a horrible & total lack of leadership on Cal’s part.

Anyway, we lost to LSU in Rupp 76-41 on Jan. 18, 1987 (Rex’s freshman year). Amazingly, we had beaten UL 85-51 in Freedom Hall in December. We got knocked out of the SEC & the NCAA tourneys in round 1.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

The odd thing was, we had lost to Bama in Rupp just a week or 2 before the LSU game, and it was our worst loss ever in Rupp (by 14). Then LSU made us look like a HS team.

15. Realme
    10:34 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Twitter was full of hilarious lines about how long Petty has been at Bama. My favorites were John Robic’s Hair saying that he has now played through two pandemics, 1918 & 2020, and that he will graduate with his second doctorate this Spring.

10:38 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

And he could still come back for another year! He could have a son as a teammate at this rate.

• secrick
      10:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yep that old fart can shoot.

10:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

His dredlocks make me think he would major in CDB studies.

• BigBlue4Three
      10:43 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

CDB Studies would be awesome. Love me some Devil Went Down to Georgia.

10:43 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

His spooky eyes make him look like he’s more into other things that come from the same plant.

10:45 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Oops, my dyxlesia must be kicking in. ?

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Hee Haw, now that’s funny

16. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

That is truly what password hell would be like. If I had $22 million riding on a password, I think I would explore something like hypnosis.

10:48 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I think I would use song lyrics if I had a 24 WORD password.

10:52 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I’m thinking it should be 24 completely random words. Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to use that many words that could be easily figured out once they get one or two of them.

11:05 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Maybe use a song lyric and change a couple of the words so it is not so easily guessed. For example, if the line has a name in it, change the name to that of a loved one.

11:07 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Or maybe something like misheard lyrics that you come up with on your own? 🙂

17. Realme
    10:42 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Stupidest call yet.

18. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Being that’s she’s college age, my daughter empathizes with the players, and she thinks Ben Jordan’s death could have really affected the team. However, that doesn’t really explain the lack of defensive adjustments.

10:48 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Obviously the coaching staff and walk-ons were grieving, but only Keion was on a team with him otherwise. Not that it wouldn’t be disturbing for the others.

10:52 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I told her the same thing, but she said if your teammate is hurting, you are too. Her perspective – she probably has a better viewpoint than me because this old fart hasn’t played an organized team sport in many years.

10:56 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Makes total sense.

11:08 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I will say this – I am so ready for UK sports in general to have a year or two without major tragedies. I realize bad stuff happens, but we have lost a coach, the daughter of a coach, had a player basically incapacitated, and now lost a two-sport player. All in the span of a little over a year. In fact, if I recall correctly, Coach Schlarman and Coach Robic’s daughter both had the same rare cancer. Anyone know if that’s right?

11:11 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Pretty sure Hayley had liver cancer, and Schlarman had bile duct cancer.

11:13 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I think Haley had more common liver cancer. Schlarman’s was specifically bile duct. But I agree with you so much, enough tragedy.

11:15 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Ooops, uh, what Clutch said.

11:19 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I thought she had bile duct and it metastacized into the liver. But I could be wrong. Still, exceptionally rare in someone her age. 🙁

11:26 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

You’re probably right, that’s pretty specific info.

19. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Agree with Donna; if you can’t play, and you have hair like that, you look like a clown. They need to follow Keon’s lead; at least, he look’s serious.

10:47 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

You’re my favorite, but their haircuts have zero to do with how they played. “Serious” looking Keion was as bad as anyone.

10:50 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

At least Cal ditched his Bob Huggins look.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Eh, looks worse if you can’t play the game; at least, Keion looks like a man.

10:54 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I don’t care if they look like Cousin It, so long as they can score and play defense.

10:57 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I think that’s silly. Players that look dumb (I’m not agreeing that any of ours do, hello, did you see ramen head?) look dumb winning too.

• JTHinton
      11:03 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Go back and look at the haircuts on the 09/10 team. They’re all the exact same! And they looked professional!

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

We have little boys that look like little girls; play like little girls, too. Snicker, c’mon back.

11:05 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

It’s 2020 y’all. Styles change. They don’t affect wins and losses.

11:08 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Or 2021. Same difference. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Cal’s hair looks stupid, too. Looks like a mobster at Apalachin in 1957.

11:18 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I didn’t notice Cal’s hair last night, but I like the curly in the back thing.

11:26 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Cal could have a comb-over using overly long eybrows or back hair, and I wouldn’t care all that much. I’m not too worried about players’ hair, either, tbh.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Snicker snicker; all that went right over y’all’s head, didn’t it, ha ha ha ha ha.

11:39 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Spell it out for us?

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

S-A-T-I-R-E

11:50 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

We’re too shellshocked from last night to appreciate subtle humor. 😉

20. secrick
    10:53 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Pistol Pete had long hair but he could play. Yeah i agree with 454.

21. JTHinton
    11:01 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Boston, plain and simple, is a liability on both sides of the ball right now. That may change, but if it doesn’t, you’re digging yourself a hole by playing him as much as we do.

Kind of reminds me of the 17/18 season when Cal insisted on starting freshman Nick Richards every game even though he couldn’t get on the court the rest of the game. It’s all fine and well until we dig ourselves in a 12-1 hole, as we did against K-State in the Sweet 16, and couldn’t ever come back. (I’ll never, EVER get over the fact that one of the worst teams in the Cal era could have made a Final Four by playing Davison, Buffalo, K-State, and Loyola-Chicago and we somehow botched that.)

22. secrick
    11:05 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

The first time i see them go inside and the big man throws back out to the open man and we hit a three , i’m getting drunk.

11:10 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I don’t drink, but I’ll join you.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

If I watch much more of this team, I’ll need a morphine and tonic.

23. Realme
    11:17 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I hope James Harden just stays fat. It’s fun when superheroes are actually human.

11:22 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

John Wall let himself go for a while there when he was out with an injury.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Harden needs a shave.

11:27 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Maybe he’s hiding multiple chins in there these days. 😀

11:35 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Clutch, you don’t like the “Talibeard”? 🙂

11:38 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Nah, I’m just speculating on why it might have a practical use now. Beards are technically hair, so I don’t really care. 🙂

11:39 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Anyway, I think you have to be really skinny for the full Talibeard effect.

24. Realme
    11:28 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I can’t imagine losing snow days forever as a school kid. That’s horrifying.

11:31 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I have already pointed that out to my 14 year old, and I don’t think he had considered that yet.

11:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, I know it pales in comparison to people who have lost loved ones, jobs, etc., but this really has to be a bummer of a time to be a kid. I worry about my teen-age kids. I suffered through bouts of depression and a lack of confidence when I was about their age, and I am keenly keeping an eye on them for signs of something like that, but they are pretty resilient so far. I sure hope the world miraculously changes for the better soon, for their sake.

11:47 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I honestly think kids these days are a little tougher in some ways than we were at the same age. They have never known a time when terrorism wasn’t a constant and real threat, for instance. This COVID stuff, while very inconvenient for my kids and their friends, hasn’t seemed to shock them all that much. It’s just something we get through.

25. ClutchCargo
    11:29 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I heard of a school district somewhere not too far away where the superintendent has already said they will have snow days if it snows. Said kids need to have a little bit of joy wherever they can find it right now. I totally agree with that.

11:32 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Impractical, but I like that.

11:35 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

This was during the time of 100% online instruction. So teachers and students would all just get to not do that on those days. Get outside and build a snowman, etc.

11:36 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I’m good with it. Now if it looks like a week-long shutdown, maybe give them a day and then go to NTI so they don’t end up having to do make-up days in the summer.

11:37 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Clutch, there are some experiences with your kids that just can’t be bought, and that is one of them.

11:41 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Yep. No need for a weeklong shutdown anymore, but a day here and there that doesn’t stretch out the school year wouldn’t hurt anything.

11:45 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

The last time the Louisville area had a really major snowfall was 1994, when we got 15-18″, and I was off work for a week, and it was absolutely glorious!

11:50 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I still went to work during that snow event, but it was awesome. Nothing gets me going like a little crisis!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:52 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

When I was in 5th grade at Ashland Elementary, we had so many snow days they made us go 3 Saturdays in a row. It was the worst. Getting on the bus for school when you knew cartoons were on. At least my teacher did us a solid and let us watch just a little cartoon TV on those days.

26. Realme
    11:37 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

I hope The Crippler never accidentally badly injures someone.

11:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like a character from the old “Batman” series.