KSR Show Thread 1/10: LIVE from Glasgow

The KSR crew is live from Don Franklin in Glasgow this morning to break down all things Kentucky vs. Alabama, along with the rest of the craziness going on in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

72 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/10: LIVE from Glasgow

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:59 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, the SEC West just got a lot more interesting. The Egg Bowl might have some of those 55-53 type scores without overtime.

• runningunnin.454
      10:05 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Does running and gunning apply to football, too?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:07 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Steve Superior preferred “Fun & Gun” for his offense.

10:07 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, there was the old Run and Shoot, so I would say it does.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:12 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

That was something when Lavell Edwards started that offense at BYU when most (if not all) other teams were still doing a lot of the “3 yards and a cloud of dust offense”. Watching a WAC game was fun unless you’re like my dad who used to think a 3-0 game was fun to watch. Not me. Haha. I don’t know if he still likes scoring that low.

10:24 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

So Miss St hired The Pirate? I’m surprised Vandy didn’t go after him so he could fit in with their nautical theme. Aaaarrrrrr!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

You guys may remember Neil Price when he was doing UK radio (did the women’s games I think…I’m not sure what else). Dick Gabriel talked to him last night and Price said that when Leach got off the plane he had a cowbell with a skull & crossbones on it. lol. Perfect!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to mention that Price is at MSU as their play by play guy if you didn’t know.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t like that the SEC allows the cowbells, and other schools can’t have anything similar…just because of history. The players used to wear leather helmets…should we have kept that?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:38 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and someone in the comments yesterday (the article about Leach) questioned why he would want to live in Starkville in the middle of nowhere. I replied that he was surrounded my nothing but potato fields in Pullman and desert in Lubbock, so he may like small town remote living (Matt sort of alluded to that earlier).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:40 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Of course if he had his choice he’s probably coach the University of Key West Pirates. Mumme said whenever they went to Florida on a recruiting trip Leach HAD to take a detour to Key West because of the pirate thing.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to hear about Quade; he should have stayed at UK…we could have used 44.7 from the 3 line. He probably would have stayed eligible, too.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:09 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

“…we could have used 44.7 from the 3 line”

Says me every year when because when we lose in March it’s always due to a cold shooting day/night.

• StillBP
      10:18 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Can Rhyne Howard play for the men and women? (just a joke)

10:25 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

She is amazing, isn’t she? Yeah, if they ran screens to get her open, watch out!

• StillBP
      10:28 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

she is fun to watch. And during these high scoring games, her scoring is relatively low in the first half, then BOOM…2nd half she blows up. Imagine if she had a whole game of hot shooting!

3. J-Dub421
    10:17 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Just goes to show you how great Cal and our coaching staff really are at making sure our guys go to class and do what they’re supposed to do. If I were Quade’s mom, I’d be pissed (both at Quade and Washington’s staff).

10:19 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree on the part about Cal and his staff. But Quade is a big boy now and should have learned responsibility at some point.

10:24 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I probably need a tutor to read comments here. I see that you did put some of the blame on Quade himself. πŸ™‚

10:28 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I can feel her pain, in a way. We have to stay all over Daughter #1 to stay on top of her stuff. I’m afraid she may be in for a rude awakening in college next year. Speaking of “awakening”, the child could sleep through a nuclear alarm clock.

10:35 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I definitely get it, from her perspective. My two kids couldn’t be more different when it comes to taking care of their business. The younger one is the first one out of bed every day and has been getting himself up and ready for school since 3rd grade, always gets his homework done, etc. We don’t even have to do anything in the mornings except tell him bye on the way out the door to catch the bus. His older sister, we love her to death, but she has always been a handful when it comes to making sure she does what she is supposed to do.

10:57 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I know what you mean, Clutch. And my older kid is an excellent student. Has never received less than an A in any subject as long as she has been in school. She is just getting caught up in a spiral of procrastination that is caused for the most part by social media and her friends always doing something. I keep telling her to not let the 18 year old version of herself spoil it for the 35 year old version. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and slap the shit out of the 18-year-old version of myself. πŸ˜‰

11:02 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s a great way of looking at it, RCF. Too bad we can’t figure it out at 18. Brad Paisley has a song, “Letter to Me” along those lines, about what he would tell the younger version of himself if he could.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Alabama ran Anthony Grant off, and he’s doing well at Dayton. They’re ranked 15, and are 13-2. But what does Bama know about basketball?

10:29 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Their fans care about maybe ONE basketball game all year, and that’s when UK is in the house. Maybe the Auburn game, maybe Tenn, but not much else.

5. Realme
    10:20 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

To act like EJ hasn’t done anything positive is obnoxious. He is clearly trying, he clearly cares, and he does do dome things right.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

He scored 25 points against F-D; yeah F-D is not good; but, he was hitting the mid-range jumpers…just needs to stay away from the 3 line.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

He’s diving for loose balls and stuff, so the effort is there IMO.

6. cats646
    10:20 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t EJ the one that slammed that ball down at the last second against Tennessee last year?!? If so that was his best moment BY FAR!!

7. J-Dub421
    10:21 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Just go ahead and give Rhyne Howard player of the year. It’s starting to look like it’s inevitable that she’ll get it. (And I think she deserves it.)

8. J-Dub421
    10:26 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

True CC, but they have tutors and such and should have noticed his grades were slipping. You’d think their coaching staff would kick him in the pants to keep him eligible. (I really hate not being able to reply to comments.)

RM, agreed. EJ has been making extra effort to rebound lately, etc. Matt and others are acting like they didn’t say the same things they’re currently saying about EJ about Nick for the last two years. Stop expecting a finished product form 18-20 year olds. They’re still working and improving. Give EJ time to develop.

• Realme
      10:30 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Yes! And while I’m at it I want them to stop bashing Whitney. So he’s not good yet. Neither is Juzang, but they don’t go on and on about it.

10:39 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

The bashing of normal, talented freshmen is part of what creates the mentality here that you have to be a one and done player to belong here. It’s stupid.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:34 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Very sorry to hear about Coach Robic’s daughter. Being a living organ donor is no small deal, especially for a liver. I wonder what kind of assistance a donor gets in regards to medical expenses, time off work, etc. IMO, a lot more people need to sign the back of their drivers licenses to be organ donors. The ignorance surrounding this is depressing. I really think it should be an opt-out thing instead of opt-in. About 95% of people say they are in favor of organ donation, but only about 58% have actually signed up for it.

• Realme
      10:39 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Doesn’t the portion of the liver liver grow back? Seems less scary than giving away a kidney.

10:41 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I had no idea that a living person could donate part of their liver until I read that today. Liver is scarier to me, since you only have one and it does a lot.

10:52 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Yes, it apparently does grow back, but I would worry about the possibility of bleeding and complications since they have to remove a portion of it.

10:54 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Even with a transplant, the odds aren’t real good with liver cancer. Prayers for Haley.

11:08 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I can only imagine what her parents are going through. It takes a lot to rattle me when it comes to my own health and safety, but it’s different when it’s your kid and you have no control over the situation. I would be losing my shit, no question.

10. J-Dub421
    10:49 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you’re right. I don’t know, but would be willing to bet that living organ donors get penalized on their insurance and get almost no assistance, etc. Our healthcare system is so bass-ackwards.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

The recipient’s insurance pays for medical appointments and follow-up care. There is also a living donor assistance program that can help. Medicaid and Medicare will also cover future care.

11:20 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

RG, any assistance for lost work? That would be the biggie for me. There should be something in place similar to maternity leave.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure, RCF; that may be addressed at the state level.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Wow, what kind of stupid poll has Louisville Football ranked #19 and UK Football nowhere in sight of the top-25. Just keep on disrespecting our boys – they feed on it.

10:58 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

What is that, a poll of UofL message board members? That level of silliness might be amusing, rather than motivational.

• StillBP
      11:22 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I just read the poll write-up. It says Louisville is the best bet to challenge Clemson in the ACC. just bc the ACC blows they are putting UofL in there. 2nd in the ACC isn’t worth much when the ACC isn’t very good. But whatever, our guys seem to thrive off the disrespect.

• StillBP
      11:23 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Sporting News poll

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Whoa, what poll is that; haven’t seen it. Actually, I don’t think the final poll has been released…last I saw still has Clemson ranked No. 3.

11:27 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

So being one of the also rans in the ACC means you have to be ranked in the top 25? Got it. Actually, it did seem to work that way for Virginia when they ended up 1st in their side of the ACC.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh, for next year…that’s less than meaningless. Of course we will have tougher competition, and UL won’t do much if they don’t get some linemen.
      Let’s remember this poll when we crush the Cards.

11:38 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m just waiting for LSU to blow Clemson into the weeds to restore order.

11:46 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Hell, our recruiting class is at least ten spots higher than University-6 as well.

12. J-Dub421
    10:59 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

CC, spot on re: the bashing of normal talented freshman. Those are also the same people who whine that they hate one and dones, they also hate Cal and want him to get more four year players. They’re also the same people who bash any player that returns because any guy who doesn’t go pro after a year clearly sucks. *eyeroll* We could go 40-0 and win the title every year and those type of people would still find things to complain about. You cannot please some people.

11:19 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Probably the same ones who bitched about lack of recruiting when we had Tubby.

11:21 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I bitched about Tubby’s lack of recruiting, so I can verify that they are not all one and the same. πŸ˜‰

13. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I personally couldn’t give two turds about the Royal Family.

• StillBP
      11:20 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I couldn’t give one turd!

11:22 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Get that checked out, BP.

• Realme
      11:30 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m with Matt. Britain having a royal family shouldn’t still be a thing.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Hah, my wife asked me to record that last Royal wedding. I said, you want me to take up 6 hours on my DVR for that?
      I relented…but I didn’t keep it, ha ha.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:36 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

How the hell does a cell phone tower fall down?

15. Realme
    11:39 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha “Go stick your head in a hole.” Never heard it before, but I will be using it now.

16. Realme
    11:43 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Yes, we are all SO SURPRISED that AJ isn’t leaving, when the only reason we thought he was was Matt saying so yesterday.

11:46 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

And then it was like a choice between the NFL draft and coming back according to AJ? The whole thing just seems strange. I seem to remember that AJ was not dealing with lack of playing time very well in his freshman year.

17. J-Dub421
    11:54 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Fired up Ryan is hilarious.

18. runningunnin.454
    11:54 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t like noon games.

19. J-Dub421
    11:58 am January 10, 2020 Permalink

We’re going to continue to dominate Louisville in football for the foreseeable future. Satterfield is not rocking recruiting like Stoops and Co. did when he first got to UK. And our recruiting has gone up from there. Louisville is currently behind and losing ground to us on a yearly basis.

12:01 pm January 10, 2020 Permalink

As good as our class is this year, it still surprises me to see it ranked outside the top-20 in a lot of polls. I was expecting it to be closer to the top-15. I heard somewhere that if you factored in the star rankings of our transfers into the program, we would rank top-10. Not sure if that is true, but I like the sound of it!

20. RealCatsFan
    12:03 pm January 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, have a good weekend, peeps! I’ll have to miss the basketball game because I will be in Club Volleyball Heaven from 8 AM – 1 PM. And our kid’s team is missing 3 players with flu or injuries. Ugh.