Knox to the NBA: Full statements from Knox and Calipari

Brian Losness-USA TODAY Sports

Soon after Kevin Knox announced his departure to the NBA, the University of Kentucky sent out a press release with statements from Knox and his head coach, John Calipari.

Wipe your tears to the side and read those below, if you can:

Kevin Knox:

“No one expected me to be a Kentucky Wildcat,” Knox said. “It turned out to be one of the best decisions in my life. I’m not going to lie, the journey has been rough. But I have no regrets. It has made me a better player and a better person. Throughout the season I faced challenges, but with challenges comes growth. At the age of 18 growth is always good.

“My development and my team’s development led us to an SEC championship and a berth in the Sweet 16. Not many can say that. I started this journey with a tough decision and once again I’m faced with another tough decision. I have found lifelong mentors in my coaches, a brotherhood in my teammates, and playing for the best fans in the country, the Big Blue Nation.

“After careful consideration, I have made the decision to follow my dreams of becoming an NBA player and enter the 2018 NBA draft. Thank you to my teammates, my coaches and the fans. You have made my year as a Kentucky Wildcat one of the best years of my life. God bless.”

John Calipari:

“Kevin came in as one of the youngest freshmen in the country and adapted as well as any player I have ever coached,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “He improved in every area of his game, became an efficient scorer like some of the best players I’ve coached here and could score all types of ways, including runners, pull-ups, 3-pointers, post-ups and in pick-and-roll offense. His defense and rebounding improved throughout the year, which is a big reason why we were able to go on a run at the end of the season.

“He’s one of the greatest kids I’ve coached. He was a great teammate, a great student and a great player. He is mature and responsible well beyond his years. All of that will bode well as he moves on to the pro ranks. His scoring ability and his 6-9 frame make him a positionless player that the entire league is looking for. I can’t wait to see what the next step is for him.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

57 Comments for Knox to the NBA: Full statements from Knox and Calipari

1. Bobbum Man
    3:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Needs to get a lot more assertive and physical, can’t take games off when there’s several other pros coming for your minutes… I think he’ll get there, definitely has the tools and the size. Just needs to work some things out which as young as he is he’s got plenty of time to do

2. bosch8184
    3:46 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

LOL @ everyone who thought he was going to be back.

Will be a fun year of 6 new freshman. But hey, maybe they’ll play 3 good games in March. That makes it all worth it right?

• Bobbum Man
      3:48 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Or… we can sign a bunch of 3 stars who will stay for 3-4 years, then in 3/4 years we can hope they can win 3 games in March! U wanna compete every year or wait 3-4 years each run while ur teams develop? Dumb comment and dumb point

• henderblue
      4:15 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Good comments and good point Bobbum Man

• BlakeBlueNation
      3:49 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hope you know we aren’t getting 3 more freshman. 2 at most.

• ClutchCargo
      3:51 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Ahhh, the asshats come out of the woodwork when they get their little feelings hurt.

• bosch8184
      3:51 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Or they could win National Titles like Nova and UNC.

But hey, we can’t recruit worse players like the teams we keep losing to, right?

• bluetide
      3:56 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

What are you talking about? Knox and Shai are the only ones gone. We are going to have a team of returning players like you people always want so get excited for goodness sakes

• Bobbum Man
      3:58 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Well we’ve won as many as UNC has since he’s been here but yeah… keep reaching

• makeitstop
      4:00 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

The one and done is on its way out, the NBA will finish it off in their next CBA. Meanwhile if we get Vando, PJ, Green and Richards back w either of the juniors they will be hard to beat next year. I’d rather have Knox back but u add Hagan or EJ Montgomery and next years team will have more returning talent than any he’s had and more over all talent than all but his 2012 and 2015 teams and that’s nothing to bitch about.

• ukcamel
      4:59 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

“Our freshman stink, that’s why they are coming back next year – we’d be better off with them off the team.”

“We need to recruit players that stick around for more than one year.”

How is it that the same people say both of those things.

3. Bobbum Man
    3:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Also, is 19 ads between the article and comment section really necessary? Seems a bit excessive. Especially when you scroll down then 4 more load and it shoots you back up to the top of the site only to have to do this 4-5 times before finally arriving in the comments section

• Megan
      3:55 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s annoying.

• For the millionth time:

*On a PC browser? Install Adblock Plus.
      *On iOS? Install the Adguard app and use ONLY Safari, not any other browser and CERTAINLY not the KSR app.
      *On Android? I dunno.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      4:08 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I don’t have 1 single ad…not ONE….not even on the sides. Ad blockers have been around about as long as the website ads themselves ; if you don’t know how, or refuse to use one, that’s 100% on you.

4. wildcatmama
    3:49 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I have been an avid wildcat fan for 63 years, but I’ve had my feel of the “one and dones”. We’re never going to win championships with a new team every year. Look at the teams in the final four. They were all upper classmen. I’m not about the NBA. I’m about Kentucky winning championships and it isn’t going to happen without some players staying 2 or 3 years. I’ve seen Calipari tell too many to not come back. He likes the microphone and cameras WAY too much. After 8-9 years of this it’s getting old. We’re not about college basketball anymore, just a pipeline to the NBA.

• bosch8184
      3:52 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

100% true.

• Bobbum Man
      3:53 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

You do realize he can’t force them to stay right? Or force them to go? Maybe just maybe the kids and their families are deciding and cal isn’t some puppet master in all this. But yeah let’s rack up the 2-3 star players so maybe we can be a decent team in 4 years

• wildcatmama
      3:59 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I realize he can’t make them stay. But how many times have we heard him tell players there was no place for them on next years team. I’m fed up with playing one year and for most of them off to the “D” league. He never seems to want to build a college team, just get them to the NBA. And that’s not going to win any championships.

• makeitstop
      4:05 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Cal actually pitched the Knox family on him staying which I think was solid advice and frankly his job. They made the call based on what they felt was best for them but they took their time and covered all the angles as they should for their 18 year old. Hard to fault anyone – would’ve been great to get him back but we assumed all season he was gone.

• Realme
      4:07 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

We have “some players staying 2 or 3 years”. We have won a championship. Your comment is not reasonable.

• wildcatmama
      4:11 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I just wonder is this all we can ever hope for. Win the SEC tourney and bow out Sweet 16. I heard Cal say twice this year he should have called a timeout, the UT game and KState. I like Cal and he’s brought a lot of excitement back to Wildcat basketball. But if the object is to win championships I don’t see it happening with a new team every year. 2012 we had Davis, Darius Miller, Doron Lamb, and Terrence Jones. You’ve got to have at least some experience if you’re going to win it all.

• I don’t disagree with everything you just said, but Davis was a freshman.

• Realme
      4:20 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Not only was Davis one of those infernal one and dones, he was THE MAIN REASON we won the championship. And we’ve had experience on most of the teams. This year was the outlier.

Why am I trying to reason with someone so silly. Have a good weekend everyone. Best wishes to Kevin.

• ukcamel
      5:03 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

How could you be a Wildcat fan for 63 years and also just forget 2012 happened? Were you in a coma?

5. BlakeBlueNation
    3:50 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Unless we get PJ, Jarred, Quade, Nick, Sacha, and Wenyen ALL back we won’t be any good. We don’t have a star, if he stayed he could’ve been that star.

• LaRueBlue
      4:04 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Keldon Johnson is a star. Nice try though.

• LaRueBlue
      4:04 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Ashtan Hagans will be too.

• wildcatmama
      4:05 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

PJ is testing the water, I’ve heard transfer rumors about Sacha and Quade. Nick is gonna have to really improve. As much as I’d like to be encouraged about next year I’m just not seeing it.

• henderblue
      4:20 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Well wildcatmama, ya know you must can’t sweat it here in April. Take some time to enjoy spring and summer and let it go for a while. We’ll be alright

• Rixter
      4:10 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He can be the star in Sioux Falls next year. That NBA paycheck will spend BIG in Iowa!

6. JTA
    3:54 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

My favorite part was when he pretended he was thinking of coming back.

7. Bobbum Man
    3:56 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

All the Cal haters are still so funny to me, would you all really rather return to the tubby days? The Billy G days? How quickly u forget how bad we were then, happy about 3-4 star players. Sure tubby won one with mostly ricks players, had nothing against him. But it’s just crazy to me people would rather have players not anywhere near as good as what we get simply because they’ll stay 3-4 seasons and then maybe we can put together one decent year where we can honestly compete

• wildcatmama
      4:00 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Tubby and Billy clyde are not the only choices. Are you happy with a new team every year that can’t make it to the final 4? Look at Villanova. They’re hanging banners.

• Booby Petrino
      4:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Can’t make it to the final four?? Lol they’ve made it four times since cal has been here… Was that a joke?

• makeitstop
      4:10 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

They’re hanging banners w 2 first round picks, one likely a lottery pick! And a bunch of good supporting players who may also go next year. We have 2 first rounders but no experience, just a bad draw that we missed on a couple we counted on and Matthews would’ve been a nice junior on this team don’t u think? Sheez cut Cal some slack he’s adjusting same as everyone else is as the game changes.

• Booby Petrino
      4:10 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Who would you like to have, “mama”? Who has made it to more than four final fours since cal has been here?

• Realme
      4:11 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

You’re doing a parody, right Wildcatmama? You can’t have forgotten all the final fours Cal has taken us to with these talented young players.

• bosch8184
      4:13 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah they are first round picks thanks to their work and success at college…not the recruiting rankings before they step foot on a college campus.

Big difference.

• makeitstop
      4:41 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Bosch, hang on – Spellmam their freshman was a 5 Star, Bunson was a 5 Star and Bridges and Divencenzo were 4’s according to 24/7. They have talent coming in.

8. knowitall
    4:06 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

LOL at all the haters! I am a KY fan but Some of the people who comment on here are just plain dumb. So these kids are supposed to come back just to make the fans happy? lol that stupid. Not one of us would pass the chance for millions to make a fan happy. If you are a first round pick and don’t go you are nuts; And can’t make it to the final four? Where the hell have you been the last 9 years?

• njcat54
      4:28 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

The millions will still be there. Michael Jordan stayed at Carolina for 3 years. He seemed to do ok.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      4:34 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

The Jordan era was night/day different compared to today’s NBA. Plus, Jordan made the majority of his $$ off of Nike, Gatorade, etc. In his time, players weren’t getting $20-30 million/yr. on 2nd contracts, like even mediocre players can get now.

• njcat54
      4:56 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Ok Smarty… then how about Malcolm Brogdan, Kamba Walker, Frank Mason, Denzel Valentine & Josh Hart. This year you have Jalen Brunson, Devonte Graham, Joel Berry and many more upperclassmen who will play in the NBA.

I cannot WAIT for the NBA kill off the one and done rule.

9. knowitall
    4:10 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Wildcatmama has heard rumors, lol, and doesn’t see it next year. May be we should hire her to coach since she has inside knowledge and obviously knows baskletball lol

10. Megan
    4:11 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

So he didn’t explain his decision. Would like to know what factors made the difference.

Obviously, the chance to double his starting salary wasn’t that important to him.

• henderblue
      4:24 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Factors? Here’s a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$

• KYFAN4LYFE
      4:40 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

If you’re a lottery pick, it’s not even about the 1st contract, so much as the “guarantees” and protections….none of which is available to a college player (for now). In the NBA, it’s all about that 2nd or even 3rd contract, depending on various circumstances, like games played, accolades (stats rankings, All-Star voting, etc), average PER, availability (injury history?), etc.

11. Brad
    4:18 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

4 out of 9 final fours, 6 out of 9 elite 8s. Couple bad breaks from winning 2 more titles at least

• njcat54
      4:32 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yah… including two extremely improbable final fours. Average end of year ranking for Cal’s teams is the same as Tubby’s – #12. Tells me Cal’s teams are huge underachievers given the hype they get before each season.

• Rixter
      4:39 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

that’s ok for a school like Villanova. But UK is ‘the GOLD STANDARD of college basketball’. 3 straight years w/o a Final 4. Not acceptable for us.

• ClutchCargo
      5:19 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Thanks, njcat54, for teaching us that only the “probable” final fours are good. And Rixter is nearly delusional enough to qualify to be a UofL fan.

• njcat54
      5:29 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

… and a final four is not a championship. It just means you won one more game. Average final ranking of Cal’s teams is 12th… pretty mediocre.

• makeitstop
      8:24 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

NJ, looking at final coaches polls, UK averages about 6th, not 12th in the 8 years they were ranked. I have no idea how to weight 2013 when they were out of the poll. But they were 5th in 2010 and 2017, and 3’rd in 2011 and 2015 (crazy), 2d in 2015, obviously first inn2013 and 16th and 17th in their down years 2016 and 2018. That’s far better than Tubby. And probably not much different than Slick when he was here. I feel like they were too 10 the year before they were eligible for the NCAA again and clearly had good runs there but wouldn’t be much better than averaging 6th. That’s pretty damn good albeit dropping the last 3 years. He was averaging 3rd until 2016.

12. Rixter
    4:32 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

“we don’t need the money,” Knox Sr. said.
    Mr. Knox, we know it’s hard to admit you need your son to take care of you. we all exaggerate our financial situation just a little. It’s ok if you really do ‘need the money’

• KYFAN4LYFE
      4:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

“Need” ? “want”. I don’t “need” a 65″ LG OLED 4K HDR TV….I have a 60″ Samsung LED 4K HDR TV now….but I do “want” one, soon, and so I’ll do what I have to in order to get one. Savvy?

• KYFAN4LYFE
      4:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

BTW, that first “?” is supposed to be a “does not equal” sign, but I guess the archaic WordPress platform doesn’t know how to process such things.