Kevin Knox will enter the NBA draft and sign with an agent

Kevin Knox is off to the NBA.

Kentucky’s SEC Freshman of the Year announced Friday that he is entering the NBA Draft and plans to hire an agent, thus ending his career as a Wildcat.

“After careful consideration, I have made the decision to follow my dreams of becoming an NBA player and enter the 2018 NBA draft,” Knox said. “Thank you to my teammates, my coaches and the fans. You have made my year as a Kentucky Wildcat one of the best years of my life. God bless.”

He gone.

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for Kevin Knox will enter the NBA draft and sign with an agent

1. Baize
    3:30 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

??

• Baize
      8:53 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

This was supposed to be a sad face. Oops.

2. kjd
    3:31 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

No surprise here.
    Wish him the best.

3. BlakeBlueNation
    3:31 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Not surprised. Really bad move on his part though…

• abobicesaevior
      3:43 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

You’re silly.

• UKantstopus
      3:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

How does following your dream and becoming a millionaire seem like a bad decision?? Everyone that say this would be out like a fat kid in dodgeball if this was available to then!!!

• BBNDan7
      3:48 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, choosing to get a check for million instead of risking injury….terrible idea

• ClutchCargo
      4:02 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Staying was a greater risk than going now. How is taking guaranteed, life-changing money a bad choice? That’s just silly.

• Alex90
      4:13 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I won’t say it’s a bad move but it is a risk. He’s good but can’t dribble and is a lazy defender and has shown a lack of concentration/intesity. So what if he’s not physically/mentally ready for pro basketball and is out of the NBA in 2 years? If he came back he has another year to improve his skills and develop mentally/physically. But he could also not improve or get hurt and lose a years worth of money, so there was no bad decision to be made really.

4. KYjellyRoll
    3:31 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hope this doesn’t surprise anyone, best of luck to Knox. Now goes SGA, vando, Richards and all the rest!

5. dballrb
    3:32 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

As expected..High first round draft pick is hard to pass up…Best of luck to Knox.

6. ukwildcat1991
    3:32 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

And here… we go… again…

7. Mathlete
    3:32 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Go get paid Kevin, give em hell!

8. BigBlueToo
    3:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck on your journey.

9. Dowser
    3:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Good luck Kevin Knox!….
    Come on with your bad self E.J.! Bring it!

• kybirdieman
      4:05 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

We can make millionaire, just can’t win championships.

10. Blue Goose
    3:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck to him. Go Big Blue.

11. icheeralluksports
    3:34 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I thght he flew home to FL to make the announcement. Looks like that was prerecorded.

• Rixter
      3:43 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

That’s a great point. he knew all along, but like Charlie Daniels in ‘Uneasy Rider”, he somehow just couldn’t resist the fun
      Of chasing us all just once around the parking lot

• ClutchCargo
      4:04 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Or… maybe he made one to go along with each possible decision. Lots of overthinking of this. It’s over.

• runningunnin.454
      4:14 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha, good Charlie Daniels song.

12. JTA
    3:34 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I liked the part where he pretended to think about coming back.

13. mothandras
    3:34 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Another year in the rebuilding phase.. sigh.

• RedWildcat26
      3:50 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

We look to be losing possibly the fewest players this year of any of Cal’s teams and you’re calling it rebuilding? Dang, I’d hate to see what you called this past season…

• BBNDan7
      3:50 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah because teams that are rebuilding win conference tournament make sweet 16’s. Got it

• It’s a little more complicated than that. The path to the FF had been cleared for us but we gagged against KSU and didn’t come close. Plus we know this isn’t the only player we lose. I believe Shai, Hami, & PJ are gone, and I I’m not holding my breath on Jarred. We don’t know what we’re going to get out of any of the others like Richards, SKJ, etc (Quade should be solid if his back is okay). We really don’t know what we’ll get from Hami or Jarred (because of injuries in JV’s case) if they come back. I would call that a rebuilding year.

We shall see.

14. So again the lesson is never believe it when they talk about possibly coming back. Good luck Kevin.

15. codeblue270
    3:35 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Great representative for UK & the BBN now go make us proud at the next level!

16. lbaker0050
    3:35 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

No surprise really. Hard thing to pass up no matter how young he is. Best of luck Kev!!

17. Chacosrule
    3:35 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Surprise!!!!

18. TheMaxCat
    3:36 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Happy for Kevin, go chase your dreams!

19. JD
    3:38 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Smart move. If you’re a lottery pick you have to go.

• tippytoe
      6:29 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He’ll be playing the lottery after he blows all his money.

20. kydrummer
    3:38 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Thank you for some memorable moments. Good luck in your pursuit of you dream! #BBN

21. Cousins Fake Tooth
    3:39 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Gonna get tore up. But good luck.

• abobicesaevior
      3:44 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

You’ve just proven you know nothing about basketball.

• There are others who feel the same way. They may not be right, but to act like that’s not a concern is a bit short sighted IMO. But, that’s just an opinion.

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      6:57 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

@abobicesaevior I bookmarked this thread. Hit me up mid NBA season next year to eat your crow.

22. King_tucky
    3:40 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t never expect it. Just enough chatter to let us down. Fine n great that he goes. We expected it. But why even mention coming back unless u would come back. Let it be a total shock if u did. Don’t like the teasing.

• Bobbum Man
      3:41 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I’m not sure he mentioned much at all, I believe it was his dad doing most of the talking

• True, but it was still a family member and not just some random blogger or recruiting “expert”.

• Stuck on Blue
      5:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He was asked if he was going to the NBA or if he was coming back. He hadn’t made up his mind yet and said he was thinking about it. How is that teasing? I think the fact that he didn’t rush and took a couple of weeks to think about it because this was one of the biggest decisions of his life is to be commended. I wish nothing but the best for Kevin. If he’s lucky, he will end up in a situation like Bam in Miami. A decent team with a good coach.

23. Bobbum Man
    3:40 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Wish I hadn’t gotten my hopes up, knew the smart money was he was gone but the hype machine got to me

24. Underdog
    3:41 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck Kevin. You’ll do great.

As for next year’s team, I hope Jarred stays.

I assume we’ll have the following bigs returning:

Nick Richards
    PJ Washington
    SKJ
    Wenyen Gabriel (though I think he’s likely to leave to play pro ball somewhere)

But to be special, we need Jarred.

He is our most important recruit for next year.

Keldon LOVES D. Hagans LOVES D. And Vanderbilt LOVES D.

We will be vicious on D next year if Jarred returns. I think he’s gone, but there is a chance!

• Troll Slayer
      3:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I agree

• JerryDamage
      4:01 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Is he gone? They’ve barely mentioned him at all as far as someone leaving. I think that injury is going to keep him here for another season.

25. Han
    3:42 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck in the NBA.

So Shai is surely gone now too. Hagans, come on down.

We’ll need one of the first or whichever of our forwards come back to lead us in scoring. No returning lead scorer after all.

26. Troll Slayer
    3:43 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Good luck, Kevin!

27. wyatts1
    3:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Can’t blame the kid for following his dream, he had a great season in college but he’ll have a hell of a learning curve when he realizes how physical the NBA is. Glad he came to UK and was such a good kid for us, however as always my heart goes with the 2, 3, or 4 year players that gives UK it’s proper respect. Can’t blame him for taking advantage of the current set up that the NBA has created in today’s game, but you can blame me (or others) when some fans doesn’t hold these one and done players in as high a standard as we do 3-4yr players. It just isn’t possible.
    With that said I do believe in today’s time we have one of the best college coaches in the game today and he’s keeping us in national contention every year with his styyle.

28. Blublood41
    3:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

What we expected. Can’t blame him but I’m kind of disappointed.

29. drew_123
    3:48 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I’m not mad, I just wish his dad hadn’t teased us.

30. Rixter
    3:59 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

why couldn’t he just come out a week ago and make this announcement, as we were all expecting it. But the family had to play all week like he was agonizing over the decision. He even flew home to Tampa this weekend to discuss it some more. And, yet.. the announcement was taped (as icheeralluksports pointed out) at the UK basketball facility. Who knows if it was taped Thursday or last weekend, but the point is, he already knew. That family played us, for a week.. played us like a Stradivarius

• ClutchCargo
      4:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

If you feel played by the family of an 18 year old college student you don’t even know in real life, that’s on you. LOL!

31. TonyMontana
    4:01 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

All along I said he’s a lottery pick… he’s a lock, so he’s gone. But then…. All that talk from his dad got my hopes up big time. Well shoot! Can you imagine another season with him? We could’ve been REAL contenders. Anyway, I wish him the best. Work on your beast mode and get aggressive in the pros Kev.

32. Randall lee
    4:04 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Follow your dream, blah, blah,blah. I have a dream of rooting for the same team for more than 5 months. I see players across the country better than ours coming back for 2 or 3 years. At that this point cals formula has deleted our team removing all quality upper classmen. The best we can hope for is a sweet 16 from this point on.and for PhDs out there dieing to correct me its deluted

33. chrisg18
    4:08 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

It will depend on who picks him, but more than likely will spend most, if not all, of next year in the G league. Good luck to him though!

34. Randall lee
    4:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Clutch my balls my spelling aside, everything I said was true.

35. Randall lee
    4:39 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Also where can we find another Klingon to play forward. That forehead looked like a pack of ballpark Frank’s.

• Stuck on Blue
      5:19 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Can you please post a picture of yourself? I’m sure you are model material, but I want to be sure. I bet you look like a cross between George Clooney and Brad Pit, amirite?

• Stuck on Blue
      5:20 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

(Sorry, forgot to turn on my sarcasm font)

36. Dark Soul
    4:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He knew he was going the whole time. Just wanted attention. That being said it is the smart move.

37. bigbluehank
    4:54 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Another player for Cal’s BBNBA wall! Great work!

• njcat54
      5:19 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Cal should only put the pictures of kids who won championships on the wall. Maybe that would seep into their instant gratificational minds.

38. Theymademesignup
    5:27 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Don’t worry, couple more years and Cal will retire. Then we can finally get back to our regularly scheduled basketball watching.

• tippytoe
      6:26 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

All we can do is hope. Funny how a carpet bagger can destroy a great basketball tradition and all of college basketball by himself.

39. Miller45
    5:34 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

have fun in the g league 2019

40. mlvei
    5:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

If I was a freshman at school and got offered millions in my major to go to work immediately I would go. So would most students. You can always go back but in this major you’re 1 injury away from a handful of nothing. I dislike 1 and done but I understand the feelings.

41. Randall lee
    6:12 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

An assembly line full of NBA meat keeps rolling out of Rupp. Another phat-head sticker for the locker room wall. And another season of what might have been.

42. tippytoe
    6:17 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Blahahahaha. Another Cal fool that will languish oversees or some developmental league..

43. mcp157
    7:42 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Excellent mid range jumper but soft as hell. He also needs to learn to handle the ball in transition. Seemed like a nice kid, though.

44. Glenn Fohr
    3:31 pm April 7, 2018 Permalink

Who cares, same crap different year.