Kerry Blackshear Jr. withdraws from the NBA Draft

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

It’s already been a big day for Kentucky’s 2019-20 roster thanks to EJ Montgomery’s decision to return for a sophomore seasonand the night is far from over. Kerry Blackshear just made things even more interesting.

The Virginia Tech grad transfer just announced he has withdrawn from the NBA Draft, meaning he’ll be eligible to compete on the collegiate level next season. Blackshear made the announcement on Instagram.

“After taking the time to weigh my options, I have decided to withdraw my name from the NBA Draft. I am still evaluating my options for my last year of eligibility and feel extremely fortunate to be in the position that I am in. I look forward to continuing my education and earning a Master’s degree while competing in the sport that I love as I continue working toward my goal of playing professionally.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kerry Blackshear (@kjblack15) on

Blackshear, listed at 6-foot-10 and 250 pounds, was a second team All-ACC selection last season, averaging 14.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. He also led the Hokies with 28 blocked shots and ranked third with 83 assists. He entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal after Virginia Tech head coach Buzz Williams left for the Texas A&M job, and ESPN named him the No. 1 ranked college basketball transfer on the market.

Several insiders predicted Blackshear would leave his name in the Draft or even try his hand at the G League, even though he wasn’t one of the players invited to this year’s NBA Combine. On the other hand, Blackshear was high on Kentucky’s list after announcing his decision to transfer, and the UK staff met with him right away. At one point, Kentucky even seemed like the favorite in the grad transfer’s recruitment. Now, could a Montgomery-Richards-Sestina front court hurt the Cats’ chances?

It’s important to acknowledge his decision to withdraw from the Draft does not necessarily mean Blackshear is heading to Lexington, as he clearly states he’s still evaluating his options. Other contenders include Florida, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Tennessee and Texas A&M, or he could decide to return to Virginia Tech. However, with the NBA officially out of the picture, he could be Kentucky’s to lose.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

39 Comments for Kerry Blackshear Jr. withdraws from the NBA Draft

1. TheBIGGeez
    9:41 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

and Boom goes the dynamite…

2. dctawk
    9:47 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

He’s huge for any school. What school is biggest for him????

3. ClutchCargo
    9:48 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

I am officially intrigued. Add Blackshear and we have an impressive front court. Kind of completes the roster.

• Ridge Runner
      10:02 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. Nothing against Nick or EJ.. but this is the big fish.

• kjd
      5:53 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Add Blackshear and NR is on the bench and playing 10-15 minutes a game.

4. Ridge Runner
    9:48 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

So what’s the deadline date for transfer announcements?

• Han
      9:53 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

First day of classes, probably.

• Ridge Runner
      9:59 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

This transfer future could end up where media (including our Cats Pause Yearbooks, etc) don’t print / send out final rosters and books until Thanksgiving. Lol

5. Ranch
    9:55 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

UF or UK I’m guessing

6. Ranch
    9:56 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

No deadline on transfers….drop/add date for classes I guess

7. Ranch
    9:57 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Val’s got some sellin’ to do

8. Ranch
    9:57 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Cal’s

9. Realme
    10:06 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Ooooooooohhhhhh shit! We could end up 3 for 3 on Nick, EJ, and Blackshear.

10. Smyrna_Cat
    10:07 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Have a tough time seeing him coming here since both are bigs are coming back. But then again, but his goal is development and a championship.

• mashburnfan1
      10:32 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Well genius if he saw how well top picks from High School Nick and EJ have done {NOT} why would he come to UK for so called development. Nick {#1 C recruit and 1st round pick from HS} has been here 2 years with little to no production and still not wanted by the NBA. EJ {top 10 player and 1st round pick from HS} had low numbers at UK and now not wanted by NBA at this point. In defense of EJ he was given little opportunity because Cal brought in, and played the most minutes, Travis who did not develop any further than what he already was.

• Kywildcats09
      10:41 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Yeah maybe coach K would be best for him. He can train him like Marques

• makeitstop
      11:23 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Well, I defended Mash on the last post bc I thought his point was the unreliability of high school projections. Sadly, it’s just part of the “Cal can’t develop talent” thesis which is closely related to the Flat Earth Theorem. Mash, K can’t be a great coach if Bolden was a great recruit under ur hypothesis. We could add names to that list but why bother? Sometimes kids are overrated. Other times it takes longer to develop. It takes me 5 years to teach a person to be really good and well rounded and versatile in my business (10,000 hours), do u just wiggle ur ears and cast a spell? Teeing up w “we suck” is a galvanizing approach only if u aim to alienate the fan base. Practice tip.

• Cletis75
      1:28 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Mashfan calling someone a genius, while talking out his backside. Nick was never the #1 ranked center. He was #6. Ever hear of Ayton,Bamba, Wendell Carter, Robinson, or Brandon McCoy? You always complain about facts being optional on here, but you continually base an argument on total lies.

• EastKY-BlueBlood
      5:09 pm May 30, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn, why do you follow Kentucky basketball? I’m actually being very serious. Doesn’t mean that you have to be blind to all things that are true and say things that are false just to be positive. But you’re never positive and all you have to say is negative. So, you invest a lot of your time to post on basically every single topic, and 90% is very negative. Just think you would look for something else to do with your life. I mean it doesn’t upset me like others, it kind of gives me something to laugh about every day. LOL it’s fun to see what you can turn into negativity. It’s just very obvious that you don’t understand college basketball at all or the game of basketball to be matter of fact, what so ever! Your level of actual basketball knowledge is extremely poor. So if you don’t really understand the game, then nothing about it or the team you so-called pretend to be your favorite team that you root for, never brings you any joy and it’s nothing but a terrible job done, with lackluster talent and even worst coaching, what do you get out of it? Most people decide to follow a sport because they really love that sport. Then you have people that really follow it because they love that Sport and they really love that team. But it’s odd when someone who obviously doesn’t really get the ins-and-outs of basketball and especially college basketball, invest so much time into a team that they say they like, but they constantly trash and constantly post daily, and yes daily you do not take a break from a day of bellyaching and whining like a kid who got his candy took during recess! LOL ? Seriously, try something a little more healthy for you. Maybe Sports just isn’t for you then. Try books on tape? Just an idea, maybe you will find a connection with it.

11. BobbyBlue
    10:26 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Been dreading that he will commit to the gators
    if he dropped out of the draft.
    Close to home and they need him.

12. VirginiaCat
    10:31 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

Okay, the planets are aligning. Now it’s time for Cal to earn those big bucks and bring Blackshear to Kentucky. Blackshear is potentially the missing piece of the puzzle and Cal can’t whiff on this one.

• AirForceOne
      11:15 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

If Kentucky doesn’t get him, it is not a “whiff” by Cal. Good grief, you people are so spoiled!

• mashman 93
      7:48 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Are you kidding me? AFO is right our fan base is spoiled.

13. FakeDickeyV
    11:06 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

I can comment again!

• nocode96
      1:14 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Me too!

14. UKCatAttack
    11:06 pm May 29, 2019 Permalink

It would be great if Cal landed Blackshear but I swear some of you are the worst. We have went 2 for 2 with EJ and Nick and now saying Blackshear is a must for Cal is ridiculous. I see no way we aren’t preseason number 1 next year with our current lineup and favorites to win it all. Cal has put together our best roster since 2015 when you look at talent, experience and depth. We just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. If Blackshear comes GREAT we are even better if not we are ok!

• nocode96
      1:16 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

“Some” can really only meant to be directed towards mashburnfan and vag cat, the only two left with the “we suck, Cal sucks” approach. It’s okay to call these numbnuts what they are.

• ukcamel
      1:45 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Definitely the most returning talent since 14-15. Four guys that were major contributors to a team that went to the Elite 8.

The only thing I would slightly worry about is that we lost two guys (Washington and Herro) that were go-to guys to get a bucket when we really needed one. And as much as the returning guys are going to get better, I’m not sure any of them are ready and able to take that responsibility. It might need to be Maxey or Whitney.

That isn’t meant to be negative. I really like my team and think next year could be very special!

• ibescootch
      1:59 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m REALLY impressed by Whitney after watching his 10 part special on YouTube. That kid is solid, and an absolute beast. I think he’ll be a go-to guy, for sure.

15. 2andToodleLoo
    5:04 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Get this dude in here.

16. just a guy
    7:22 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Love to have him, but Florida is the team to beat for him. The SEC may be loaded next year if UF gets him, LSU somehow got a ton back (including Smart which is REALLY odd), and of course UK. But rest of conference (minus Vandy) should be better

17. Racerr11
    7:40 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn numbnuts is very appropriate for a negative person who thrives on negativity. Goofy goofy so called fan.

18. HackRichards
    8:12 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

We’ll be fine either way. Helluva competition though in the front court for minutes if we get him.

19. panicpat
    8:19 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I would rather be punched in the throat then read another mashburn post!

20. makeitstop
    8:55 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Selfishly u want to stockpile talent and he’d probably start. It would give us the ability to sustain an injury and survive it, unlike last year and the year before when injuries to Vanderbilt and then Reid and PJ changed the course of the season. We survived Poythress (but prolly lost to UW bc we were missing him) and Willie in prior years bc we had such depth we could take a guy playing a few minutes and move him in the rotation. But without injury there aren’t enough minutes for all the frontcourt guys and cal really wouldn’t be able to go back to dribble drive without further cutting into the minutes by moving Brooks or Whitney to the 4. It’s a first world problem but I can’t see him thinking 20ish minutes is a good landing spot and that’s assuming he starts. Just please God don’t let him reconsider w Bolden leaving and go to Duke. I’d rather face him at UF than see that.

• runningunnin.454
      9:09 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Excellent points, especially about the Poythress injury; that cost UK a title. The defensive intensity with/without him was day/night.
      I thought Blackshear would stay in the draft, and can’t believe he didn’t get good feedback; I watched several VT games, and he’s a horse.
      With EJ and Nick back, I believe he’ll pick Florida; he’s from Orlando.

• ScottGreene22
      3:44 pm May 30, 2019 Permalink

We sure could use him but either way this team should be very good

21. CopenhagenCat