Kerry Blackshear Jr. will take an official visit to Florida

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

Virginia Tech graduate transfer Kerry Blackshear Jr. has chosen his first official visit, but it won’t be to Kentucky.

According to Corey Evans of Rivals.com, the 6-foot-11 forward will be visiting Florida starting tomorrow.

Blackshear, an Orlando, FL native, is rumored to have interest in Florida, Kentucky, Texas A&M as a transfer, along with the possibility of returning to Virginia Tech next season.

Following his trip to Gainesville, Kentucky is widely expected to also receive a visit from the former Second-Team All-ACC forward.

Let’s hope Blackshear Jr. is big on final impressions…

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

16 Comments for Kerry Blackshear Jr. will take an official visit to Florida

1. az1006
    11:38 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

I mean…He lives in Florida. This should come as no surprise. Kentucky will get a visit too, I’d bet, and it won’t matter if it’s the first or second one.

• KayutsBy90
      12:15 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

You say that but remember Reid last year was planning on visiting UK and Nova but committed on his visit to UK without ever making it to Nova for a visit. You always wanna be the first visit.

2. dctawk
    12:01 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Yup. I like mike white…. But I think he has only produced Dorian Finney-Smith, who he coached 1 of the 3 years he played. Think I may ‘splore my options quite objectively if I were serious about my NBA dreams.

3. 2andToodleLoo
    7:20 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

This guy has to consider developing into NBA talent his top priority. If so – he’s picking UK.

4. just a guy
    8:19 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

At Florida he will be the key big man, on a really good team, with chances to showcase his talent. At UK he will be part of a rotation and get 18 minutes a game on a really great team.
    Tough choice. Been saying Florida gets him since EJ and Nick came back

• Cokely53
      8:34 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Add in that it’s his home state. I’m leaning UF too and that our team is set. Which isn’t exactly a bad team. We will still be plenty good without him.

• Ridge Runner
      8:57 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Unfortunately, I agree and pray I’m wrong.
      🙁

• BlueSteel
      11:51 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

He was the key big man at Virginia Tech for at least the last two years and still – here he is with no legitimate NBA draft status.

• bbndee
      12:19 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

My man, a freshman Ej Montgomery got 15 minutes a game last season behind Pj and Reid. A freshman Immanuel Quickly got 18 minutes a game playing behind Ashton Hagans and Tyler Herro. Where in the world are you getting that he will only play 18 minutes?

5. runningunnin.454
    9:06 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Obviously playing against quality competition in the games only didn’t prepare him for an NBA career. Who at Florida will push him in practice on a daily basis? The daily grind at UK would challenge him to be the best version of himself.
    Also, the Gators don’t have Cal and Kenny Payne to expand his skill set; Florida’s inside game during White’s four years has suffered due to lack of development.
    I doubt he would be limited to 18 min per game; Travis averaged nearly 30 min/game.
    If he wants NBA, go UK.

• mashman 93
      9:26 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. If he comes to UK he will play and play a lot.

6. Rise
    9:46 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

You figure he would follow his old coach to A&M.

7. UKinmyblood
    1:07 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

If his chief motivation is to get into the NBA, then Kentucky is the most logical destination. He should not be concerned about playing time or any of that. If he can’t find his way onto the court at Kentucky, he’ll never find his way onto the court in the NBA.

• TheMaxCat
      1:26 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

His numbers might be better at Fla. but his game will be better at Kentucky. Largely due to the Coaching Staff and competition in practice. One year at the Mecca of Hoops to give it his best shot at the next level (NBA or elsewhere)…. and a genuine chance at a FF or NC. One school gets players ready for the league year in and year out and its not Florida. I don’t know where his head is and homeland heartstrings can always be a factor but he is older, and already been away from home awhile and hopefully will put himself (and UK) in the best position to obtain their goals. .

• timbo
      1:26 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

That’s a very pragmatic way of looking at it. Making the playing time argument make sense in the mind of a young man is not as straightforward as you’ve made it seem. I mean, it really runs counter to logic, doesn’t it? “You don’t have to play as much or score/rebound/assist as much to make it to the next level.” That’s contrary to every playing experience a kid has to this point.