Kentucky’s NBA Draft Decisions: Monday Update

What’s the latest on who will stay and who will go? Over the weekend, the players went home to spend Easter with their families and discuss whether or not to declare for the NBA Draft, and, if so, whether or not to sign with an agent. On this morning’s show, Matt shared the latest on those decisions after some conversations with people in the know.

Here’s what we’re hearing.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

As reported on KSR over the weekend, Shai will announce his decision Tuesday night, potentially on SportsCenter. Given projections that have him going in the lottery and a high-profile announcement, it’s all but certain #HeGone.

Kevin Knox

Matt is hearing Knox will announce his decision either today or tomorrow. Last week, Knox’s father said his son was open to the idea of staying at Kentucky another season despite being projected as a late lottery pick. How does he feel after a weekend of reflection?

“Let me just say, I don’t think it’s certain what he does,” Matt said. “I still think the smart money is on him going, but I don’t think that’s certain.”

The others

What about Hamidou Diallo, PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt, and Wenyen Gabriel? Matt said he’s expecting all of the decisions will be made public this week, but, as of Saturday, the only player whose mind was made up was Shai.

There’s been talk that some players you might expect to go through the process to get feedback may not declare at all, which makes sense given the news that PJ Washington will have surgery to repair a broken pinky and Jarred Vanderbilt’s lingering ankle/foot issues.

Stay tuned…

[mobile_ad]

25 Comments for Kentucky’s NBA Draft Decisions: Monday Update

1. maximumscott
    1:38 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

We are going to be a super team next year!

2. az1006
    1:54 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I hope Knox takes to heart what some scouts are saying…There’s potential he could be a top 5 pick next year, if he comes back. He’s certainly got a lot to work on, and with his father being a former pro athlete, you’d think he’d certainly be a voice of reason, one way or the other. I hope they all come back, but can’t blame them either way.

3. maximumscott
    2:07 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I believe knox comes back

4. bluecrowe
    2:13 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Knos is far from a complete player, but we know the NBA drafts on potential. Shai I believe is that weird case where one more year would likely just reveal his weaknesses more obviously and lower his draft stock, but he should have found a way to win the K State game on his own if he was truly worth a lottery pick. There is no discussion there.

• BigBlueMeade
      2:23 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

He is a lottery pick, not an All-American or an Anthony Davis type talent. Taking over a game by oneself is no easy task. His draft stock is on his measurements and ability to get to the rim, the rest is based on potential.

• BlakeBlueNation
      3:43 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

He is not a lottery pick. He’s predicted to go 15-16

5. Smyrna_Cat
    2:35 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Should be interesting.

6. BBNDan7
    2:37 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Not to be that guy, but this wasn’t an update at all lol

• ClutchCargo
      2:41 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

It’s hilarious how Matt can never be wrong, because he never actually says anything without hedging the other way.

• MACDADDY
      2:41 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Its all about clicks.

• lexslamman
      2:46 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

ClutchCargo – that is the calling card of all commentators – sports, financial, political – most don’t have the nerve to make a clear call in either direction.

• You beat me to it Dan. It just should have said “No update”. But oh well.

7. Joe B. Y'all
    2:37 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Interesting that it doesn’t seem as Knox’ announcement is as formal as Shai’s. Perhaps because he is either coming back or just going to the combine and not hiring an agent.

8. deputy305
    2:42 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

They are all gone!!

9. chrisg18
    3:16 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’m glad we have finally stopped with the Nick Richards having to make a decision nonsense that KSR was pumping out for weeks and weeks.

10. Dallas
    3:20 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’d love to have them all back. But the only 2 that I think could make us the best team next year is PJ and Vanderbilt. If they come back we are the best team next year.

• ClutchCargo
      3:26 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Give me those 2 and a more physically mature and aggressive Knox, and I like our chances! And I’m assuming Richards and SKJ are staying put.

11. pillsboy
    3:40 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I agree Matt loves Matt. I met him and chatted with him once and he is an arrogant self absorbed (shallow) person. I hate Mitch as much as next guy but dude we don’t need you!

12. Jiminy Crickets
    6:13 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

The matt Jones report: he could be gone, or he might come back. We should know this week, but we may not know until the combine, which some guys will attend and some won’t, and we’re not exactly sure which ones those are.

There’s your update

• makeitstop
      10:18 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

He’s just practicing: he was for them leaving til he was against it…