Kentucky wins but moves back down to a 4-seed in latest Bracketology

UlisWTF

It was confusing enough when Kentucky improved from a 4-seed to a 3-seed in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology after losing to Vanderbilt, but this morning, after beating Florida, Kentucky is back down to a 4-seed, this time in the West Region:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.43.16 AM

(To be fair, college basketball is totally whack this season and I like that bracket slightly more than the Bracket of Doom Lunardi had us in on Monday.)

Florida’s loss pushed them out of Lunardi’s field, which only includes four SEC teams: Kentucky (4), Texas A&M (5), South Carolina (9), and Vanderbilt (9). Alabama and Florida are in the First Four Out, with LSU looking in from the outside in the Next Four Out.

Based on this Bracketology, Kentucky has a 42% chance of making the Sweet 16, a 12.5% chance of making the Final Four, and a 3.2% chance of winning the whole thing:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.53.40 AM

Agree? Disagree?

[ESPN]

19 Comments for Kentucky wins but moves back down to a 4-seed in latest Bracketology

1. karlitopequeno
    10:04 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

As has been said before, we absolutely do not want to be in the same bracket as Purdue. The trio of Swanigan, Haas and Hammons will overpower our bigs and make for an unpleasant end to our season. I don’t want to get caught looking at any matchup beyond them at this point.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:18 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

North Carolina and Purdue would be serious trouble for us. I do not like this bracket at all.

• UKFaninNY
      10:18 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

I agree –

But, looking forward, I dont want to be in North Carolina’s bracket for the same reason – Johnson and even Meeks will eat us alive inside

2. Yev
    10:20 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Tell you how much you shoudl trust the bracketology. Vandy and UK cannot be in the same region like this with both being in teh same conference.

• BobKYCats
      10:37 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

That hasn’t been a hardline rule for years now.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:20 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Can nobody get North Carolina ‘s and Duke’s ncaa games out of North Carolina?
    Not even in fantasy?

Of course the NCAA selection committee does it every year; they think the rest of the country is blind or stupid!

• yitbos93640
      10:35 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Seeing as how UNC would be a #1 seed and the NCAA pretty much always has a game in NC…no. This has Duke playing in Denver, which aside from Spokane….is farther away from NC than anywhere else that round.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Sorry, didn’t see the Duke bracket; however, this happens year after year after year, ad nauseam.

4. BobTheBuilder
    10:38 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Of course Duke has the highest percentage to go to Sweet 16 for four seeds. Easiest grouping.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:55 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

He is trying to predict what the actual committee will do, and they will always give Duke an unfairly easy path. Coach K has naked pictures of somebody with a prostitute, I’m guessing.

• RealCatsFan
      3:44 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t know Pitino was on the selection committee…

5. crystal_blue_persuasion
    11:00 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Lunardi was saying we were a 4 seed during the game last night so I think the 3 seed after the Vandy loss was a mistake

6. Catsby80
    11:06 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

How the hell is UNC a 1 seed? They are ranked 8th and have a couple head scratching losses… Give me a break…

• Piedma Schwartz
      11:27 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Probably just working off an assumption that since they’re currently 1st in the ACC that they will win out and win the conference tourney, which if happens, a 1 seed would be deserved.

• Catsby80
      12:02 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

I suppose so, but they play at Duke on Saturday night. If they win the ACC tournament, then yes… But as of today, my #1s would be Kansas, Michigan state, Nova, and Virginia. That fourth number one should go to the winner of the ACC tourney (assuming it is either UVA, Miami, or UNC).

7. Sentient Third Eye
    11:41 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

The way this Kentucky team is, they will benefit from a hard bracket. This is the kind of team that can beat anyone if they are “on”, but they can lose to anyone if they are “off”, and they are more likely to be “off” against a lesser opponent.

8. Rixter
    11:45 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

It sounds like everyone is saying, they hope we get into a bracket with only 9 and 10 seeds.

• damage_control
      12:17 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like a couple people don’t want UNC or Perdue because they are bad matchups. Other than that it doesn’t sound like that at all.

• BobKYCats
      12:36 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t mind that at all. But realistically speaking, I do think I’d want to avoid UNC and Purdue, if possible. Other than that I’ll take our chances matching up with anyone else.