Kentucky, UCLA emerge as favorites to land Makur Maker if he attends college

@MakurMaker

@MakurMaker

Is big man Makur Maker back on the table for Kentucky? There’s a chance.

The 6-foot-11 center and 5-star prospect in the 2020 class originally declared for the NBA Draft in April, but he quickly clarified he’d be keeping his options open in terms of a potential collegiate career. Due to the uncertainty of the pre-draft process and his inability to work out for teams due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Maker did not sign with an agent and instead decided to maintain his college eligibility coming out of high school.

Now, that could work out in Kentucky’s favor. College basketball insider Jon Rothstein is reporting Kentucky and UCLA have emerged as the favorites in Maker’s recruitment, if he decides to attend college in the fall.

The NBA G League previously reached out to Maker about signing a deal with their new professional pathway program, but Maker has said he is not interested. His only two options are the NBA Draft and college.

“Out west, I’d consider UCLA and maybe Oregon, but if I’m not out west, I’d consider Kentucky,” Maker told Evan Daniels last month. “You know Kentucky has everybody. They produce pros like Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins – Coach Calipari has it all. And maybe Auburn also.”

Maker’s original list has seemingly held up since that interview. In addition to UK and UCLA, Rothstein is also reporting Oregon, Auburn and Memphis are in contention for the big man.

Maker is listed as the No. 16 overall prospect in the country, the No. 3 center in the nation and the No. 1 prospect from the state of Arizona, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

18 Comments for Kentucky, UCLA emerge as favorites to land Makur Maker if he attends college

1. Han
    4:37 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

If there’s a chance Sarr doesn’t get a waiver, this would be amazing. But if we’ve got Sarr on the roster, does Maker seriously still come here and battle for starting minutes? I know many believe he’d start over Sarr, or we could play both side by side, but there’ll be tons of negative recruiting from other schools that Cal won’t give him more than 20 minutes a game and won’t let him shoot 3s, etc.

Still, would be great to add him or Williams.

• JASUN74
      10:20 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Han I don’t think anyone in their right mind would think he’d start over Sarr. No way. The kids ok but has a long long way to go. Too skinny and wants to play like Larry Bird. Haha. He stands outside the three point line way too much for me and just isn’t what we need at all.

Saying that, if we could get him and he would understand He needs to become a center, get him. Cal could really work with him and make him better, but he already has two cousins in the league and the very best trainers in the country!! He is what he is I’m afraid. Now he could be really good if he’d just want to develop on the low post, I’m just not feeling it with him.

No doubt in my mind that Sarr will play next season. He just will, Cal will make it happen. But we need Williams to go along with him and we’re the best team in the country hands down. We may even be without him. Lol. Have a good one brother.

2. UKinIN
    4:40 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

On one is calling to ask my opinion, but I’d stay away from any Maker. Seems like a situation that will come back to bite any school he attends.

3. UKFanSC
    4:50 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Assuming Sarr is eligible I see no reason for adding this guy, and as IN says, the potential baggage that comes with him.

• Corder
      4:58 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

What’s the baggage claim? I ain’t heard much about him assuming that he was going to go pro all along.

• terwilliger
      5:12 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have any inside info, but anybody who is considering Auburn, Memphis AND Oregon is sketchy af.

4. BobbyBlue
    5:23 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

If Cal gets Williams tomorrow I would think all this speculation about Maker,will be a moot point.
    On the other hand who knows what the NCAA, under the corrupt guidance of the incompetent Mark Emmert will do for or against UK transfers.
    Will he continue his petty vendetta against Calipari, that stems from the Terrance Jones fiasco when Emmert was president of U Washington ?
    Guess time will tell !

• BobbyBlue
      5:33 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Seems Ms Davis has shown really poor timing to bring Maker up one day before Williams decision especially when his mentor has already expressed that there was some concern with the log jam of Bigs at the 4 spot. From what little zI have watched of Maker he certainly doesn’t look like a traditional 5, and prefers the perimeter,stretch 4 xx, as more of a wing.
      If Cal wants him he certainly isn’t going to call me— just thinking out loud !

5. A_Blue_Wildcat
    6:01 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

People saying he would take time away from Sarr haven’t watched Maker play, he would start as a PF. He’s athletic as can be and has some guard skills and can shoot, no doubt it would look like a Towns/Cauley-Stein type of duo (although who knows if it’ll be as good). Still think Williams will commit tomorrow and talk about Maker will go out the window, but if Williams goes to Baylor then I could see it happening.

6. Megan
    7:12 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Would we rather have Williams or Maker? I’ll take the experience and depth at the center position.

• JASUN74
      10:23 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree with you 100% Megan, Williams all day everyday! Lol.

• IrishCat
      8:36 am May 11, 2020 Permalink

Okay, but if Maker isn’t a center, Williams is DEFINITELY not a center.

7. IrishCat
    7:41 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

I could definitely see some chemistry issues if we end up w/ both Sarr abs Maker, but not knowing what the NCAA will do, you can’t turn Maker away if he wants to come, can you?

8. RAGE
    7:46 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

I think if Maker want to come to Kentucky that you take him without hesitation… Chemistry issues I don’t care this kid can play and will help any team he plays on at the college level… This is a no brainer Maker could play the 4 beside of Sarr and we would be the overwhelming favorite to cut the nets down by March

9. wildcats8
    8:27 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Feel like this dude is just trying to use our name for draft clout his brother teased a Kentucky commitment for a long time as well. Hopefully I’m wrong and he learned from his brother burning out in the nba very quickly but who knows.

• JASUN74
      10:28 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

He has two cousins in the NBA but no brother. I’m sure he has a brother or two but none as a big time player we’ve ever heard of. They both are good players and never burnt out. Thon is a starter and Mukar, (I think it’s spelt that way) comes of the bench but stars some times. If you’re talking about someone else , sorry for the misunderstanding.

• JASUN74
      10:29 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Man spellcheck ate me up on the last post. Sorry for that. Lol

10. UKLugo
    11:20 pm May 10, 2020 Permalink

Brooks Sr won’t be as excited about this signing. Would probably regulate Jr to the bench.