Kentucky third favorite to win title in anonymous coaches poll

CBS Sports’ annual anonymous survey of college basketball coaches is back, and today, the panel is tackling the ultimate question: who will win the 2020 NCAA Tournament?

Michigan State is the overwhelming favorite at 54%, followed by Kansas (17%) and Kentucky (12%). Duke and Florida round out the top five with 7% and 5%, respectively. More than one hundred coaches voted in the poll, and Matt Norlander shared some of their comments. I really like this one about Kentucky being the hunter and Michigan State being the hunted.

“It’s really difficult not to go with Michigan State. They are oozing experience on all fronts. They have the roster, the head coach, as well as continuity on the coaching staff to make another deep run in March. But for some reason, I think they are better when they are the hunted and not the hunter. They thrive on having something to prove — or feeling like they aren’t being given the respect they deserve. That won’t be the case this year so it’ll be interesting to see if they can keep their edge or if the hunger that was there last year is gone. That’s why I’m going with the University of Kentucky to win it all. A few years back you couldn’t turn on a television without seeing or hearing Coach Cal and the Wildcats, but lately people are doubting them both on the court and on the recruiting trail. Every team goes through a down cycle, even Kentucky, but they are going to be a hungry bunch all year and into March.”

I sure hope so. To check out the rest of the comments, click the link below.

[CBS Sports Candid Coaches]

15 Comments for Kentucky third favorite to win title in anonymous coaches poll

1. 2andToodleLoo
    11:10 am September 5, 2019 Permalink

Seriously – when will Kansas get punished for all their noted cheating. If these D-bags were to win it all before being punished I wouldn’t be surprised. NCAA is a joke.

• grammarpoliceUK
      4:46 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

They won’t be. Now the government has joined the NCAA by refusing to release their files because, as they state, it could “hurt third party individuals”. Those third party individuals are more than likely the coaches. Case over.

• JASUN74
      6:44 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

What’s happened is, they’ve found out that some of their colleagues and close friends and/or family has been involved and they’re trying to protect them. I guarantee some NCAA employees were right in the middle of something and making some big money. This judge has probably gotten a pretty hefty bank account lately also. Lol.

I honestly have no idea about anything except for what I’ve read, but I’ve always thought, if you do the crime, you do the time. Or at the very least lose your job!!! Haha. I don’t think people can ever forget about this and even in twenty years someone will want the truth. Its really un telling who is involved in this crap. The only thing we really know is, it’s a disservice to all the Coaches and Schools that do it the right way.

2. JTHinton
    11:46 am September 5, 2019 Permalink

That MichSt team scares me; I’m not one of the Trolls who say we won’t make a bowl game or we’ll be a 11 seed, but I think they might kill us on opening day if we start slow. I think we will be fine in the long run though!

• IrishCat
      1:59 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Having two legit point guards coming back keeps me pretty confident in how we will show out, especially since Winston is so crucial to what they do offensively, and I think Ashton might be able to swallow him alive. Still, I have some reservations, just like you.

3. BobbyBlue
    12:14 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

NCAA is completely corrupted, starting with Emmert and his $4 million
    salary.

4. UKinMKY
    1:17 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Don’t get the Kansas hype. Even with Azubuike in the lineup, they weren’t exactly a juggernaut. Don’t see them being that good with him coming off multiple injuries. I buy the MichSt hype though, Winston and Langford will carry that squad.

5. VirginiaCat
    1:25 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Norlander hits the nail on the head when he says that “…a few years back…,” Kentucky was the alpha team of college basketball, but that lately people are “…doubting them on the court and on the recruiting trail.” This will be a critical year for the Cats, whether we get back to the swagger of Cal’s first six years, or continue with our pattern since 2015. I am hoping for the former. Go Cats.

• a21CATSfan
      1:49 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Yet, Tom Izzo “only” has one championship in a much longer time period than Coach Cal at his respective school, but never receives near the criticism. And Coach Cal has the same results in the NCAA Tournament as Coach K in the last 4 years (since he supposedly took over recruiting), but doesn’t quite get the same praise for adapting to the game. Coach Cal is also becoming one of the best evaluators in the sport. I wouldn’t want anyone else. CATS

• nocode96
      4:12 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Amen 21

• BigBertha
      4:24 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Agreed!

• catsarerunnin
      6:10 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Why do you care VCat? You’re not a fan regardless.

• JASUN74
      6:50 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

Yes Sir a21CATSfan!! Mich St will have a great team this year, but I’ll take Cal and not think twice about it.

6. BigBertha
    4:23 pm September 5, 2019 Permalink

What’s special about Kansas this season? In years when MSU is the best team, they always lose in the first round.

7. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:35 am September 6, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky probably won’t even win the SEC, regular season or tournament. They certainly are no longer a threat to win the NCAAs.