Kentucky survives a major scare, wins 68-61

“Making it work” ain’t easy
cal-ugh

Phew.

Kentucky turned in their worst performance of the season, but fortunately, went on 12-4 run to finally put away Cleveland State 68-61. Kentucky looked out of sync for the majority of the game, showing no effort and poor execution, but a huge final five minutes from the Harrison Twins kept them alive.

Julius Randle led all scorers with 15 points and 15 rebounds, his sixth straight double double. Andrew Harrison had 12 points and five assists after being plagued with foul trouble throughout the game. His twin Aaron was close behind with 11 points.

More coming all night. Something tells me this is a Calipari press conference you don’t want to miss.

57 Comments for Kentucky survives a major scare, wins 68-61

1. Bunny
    9:15 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

The twins came through…

2. PillowTalk
    9:15 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Not that he is to blame but Julius Randle has to pass the ball faster out of double teams. The gaps close to quick.

• slappy
      9:18 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Not only that…he needs to learn how to be stronger with the ball in his hands. Keep it up high. Because his turnovers are really getting on my nerves

• M
      9:37 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Agree completely.

3. Hollahollaholla
    9:18 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Hey, they won. I’ll take it.

4. Obligatory Retro Comment
    9:18 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I wanna’ know why Richie Farmer ain’t gettin’ more playin’ time.

• jar jar binks
      9:25 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Substitute Derek Willis’ name in there and you’re on to something.

5. Jason
    9:18 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Remember Michigan State and Duke had major scares too it’s going to get better.

6. Cincy Cayt
    9:19 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Survive and advance. In less than 48 hours, we’ll see if we can build on this. Just like in March.

7. kybb
    9:19 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t able to watch the game, is it even worth it to go back and watch the replay?

• Dr Van Noorstrand
      9:23 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

It depends if you enjoy being frustrated for 1 hour and half.

• jimmyhat
      9:23 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I would recommend fast forwarding to 6 min left in the game unless you just wanna get pissed off.

• Kentucky Fan
      10:54 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Just always keep in mind “don’t worry, they DO win this game, keep the 3-point streak, Randle’s double-double streak, etc.” and you can bear to watch it.

8. Luther
    9:21 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Improved FT shooting and clutch play by the twins was the difference in this game. Had Ky shot FTs like at Mich St, the outcome would have been different…

9. White Castle Sliders
    9:21 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

UK has to shoot better from 3 plain and simple….teams are gonna pack it in on them. When they do I wouldn’t mind to see Willis in there to bust teams out….. They’ve shot terrible from 3 all year. I know Young and the Twins are better shooters than they shown but still you gotta knock it down from deep when teams are packing it in. #needsomehashmarkrange!

10. booface
    9:22 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

7) only the last 6 minutes…totally worth it

11. hersheyisabear
    9:23 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Effort is everything. We play like we did the last 8 minutes for 35 minutes, we are unstoppable.

• Serious Guy
      9:28 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Is this guy serious?

• johnc
      9:35 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

atejust as long as were playing cleveland st

12. Ridge Runner
    9:23 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

whewwwwwwwwwwwww

13. kybb
    9:25 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

ok, thanks fellas

14. theSkinny81
    9:26 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Came out sleeping, woke up late. But hey, they woke up.

15. Jatt Monez
    9:26 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I’ve been saying it since the first game. Elite 8 at best. Screen grab this and throw it in my face during march if I’m wrong. Your glorified AAU team is getting exposed.

• RealCatsFan
      9:28 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, if I had time to waste bet I could look back at posts from December 2011 where you were talking the same crap. Go to bed, junior.

• theSkinny81
      9:29 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Your team struggled against Fairfield.

“Back 2 Back” my azz.

• vooface
      9:35 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

You could say the same about duke….excep they squeezed out a 1 point win in the final 5 seconds against a team that was 1-4 hmmmmm stfu

• Jatt Monez
      10:11 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I’ve only started posting on here this year. Get it together bro.

• bigblue
      10:20 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Jatt Monez won. He used ‘bro’. Cool.

16. Surprised
    9:27 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Shocked that they came back and won. Never heard so many airballs launched. They wont survive march if they keep playing like this. Overated team but matt hyped them up all summer like stoops and his fallen troops. oh well maybe sweet 16 at least and not NIT.

• jeremy
      9:36 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

It’s not March, Surprised. This team is just a few games old. They have a lot to learn. It is a win against a team that’s going to win some games this year. Some good things to take away, primarily…a will to come back and win. Over rated? Check back in come January/ February. WAY too early to pass judgement.

17. jq
    9:27 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Found out they are NO LONGER STARS but part of a star GROUP/TEAM.

18. hersheyisabear
    9:30 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Please don’t feed the trolls.

19. littlethings
    9:32 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

defensive stance, throwing the ball in the post (without turning it over) and energy from start to finish. It’s the little things that they need to learn.

20. Loisville Troll
    9:35 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

OVERATED!!!!

• vooface
      9:41 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget about duke (escaped a loss to a team that’s 1-5), Loserville (lost to a diminished UNC team that lost to unrated Belmont), and MSU (almost lost to Oklahoma, portlsnd, and Columbia)….great comment tho bro! Go back to your hole!

21. R UKidding me
    9:48 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

These guys are WAY too athletic to freak out just now. BUT, this may be he most unlivable group UK players since Carruth and Parker’s Team Turmoil. WCS has personality, but calling UK fans fair weathered kinda turned me off on him. The twins are aloof and I’m worried they are going to stay on their own page. We will still be good, but Cal has his work cut out for him to get these guys to gel. Love Marcus Lee, respect Randle, Lee needs to remember how to shoot the ball – but he hustles. We will have 7 plus losses on this 40-0 team.

• Rae
      10:07 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Marcus Lee, Randle and Hawkins alone make this team more likeable than last year’s. The only one I liked last year was Noel.

I wouldn’t go so far as 7. Eventually they figure out how to win against the good teams. They won’t lose every big game on the schedule. Even last year’s team beat Florida and Missouri when they had to, even if it didn’t amount to much in the end. Athleticism will get them very far. Their problems are not so much not having the pieces as execution, and the execution is lacking largely through mentality. James Young at one point had the ability to shoot; he just needs to rediscover it.

22. R UKidding me
    9:49 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Unlikable…sorry

23. Rixter
    9:49 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Loisville troll? What grade did you drop out of?
    By the way, it’s overrated.
    You typed 3 words, and misspelled 2 of them. Go trim your line beard.

24. Rixter
    9:54 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Do any Cat fans post here, or is this strictly a U of L board?

• Obummber
      10:13 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

U know I don’t think anyone comes here any more…..I figured after a game like that ksr would be blowing up but I guess not.

25. bigblue091812
    10:00 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

6 games in, they win tonight by only playing 7 minutes. We could beat loserville tonight, tomorrow, Dec 28th and in March. When the NCAA’s roll around this team will have played 31 games, bring on Loserville, Hoosierville and anyone else. The smart money will still be on this team. Keep hating and doubting to all the dumbass trolls. I guess loserville fans think Russ Smith is gonna give them back to back titles shooting 45 times a game. Sounds like they been smoking crack with Behanan, Ware and Harrell.

26. Obummber
    10:11 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Randle needs to get rid of the ball when double, triple and quaddroople team is coming at him. Feel bad for Marcus lee he should be getting more playing time. Lastly as deep as this team is we sure do play right into their hands with the slow half court dribble drive or whatever mess they r running…… You would think he would try to wear teams down with an uptempo game but he doesn’t…….

27. CatSinceBirth
    10:11 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I wish Cal would prepare for six days, as he did in this case, come in, set his arse down and let the kids play. No, he’s up every minute hollering and yelling his brains out. Those freshmen have to be under immense pressure. You can hear Cal hollering over 22,000 people. I don’t know whether that looks bad on him, or the fans. I get so sick of hearing him at the beginning of every season talking about the “Dribble Drive”. Bull crap. Every team we play runs way more Dribble Drive than the Cats. Most nights we look more like a high school team than a college team. Early on it was the lack of practice that was the problem. What will it be now? We have practiced just as much as any college team. I also didn’t care for his not caring if we lost quote. The late Jimmy Valvano would chew him a new butt if he were to hear him say those words. Jimmy’s words were just the opposite. “Never give up”. I know all the Einstein’s will debunk me, but that’s okay. I have skin that’s 66 years of age, all dried up, and tough as horse hide. Bring it.

• PhilUK18
      10:27 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

You’re 66 and you’re whining about a coach at the best program in college basketball yelling to his players from the sideline? I hope you’re not one of those geezers that whines how my generation is soft, bc I’m 23 and I think that’s pathetic on your part. These kids knew what they were signing up for with being coached by Cal and playing at UK. If they don’t like it, they can transfer.

• PhilUK18
      10:30 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

How are they going to hear him and/or learn what to do if he’s not yelling? I won’t even bother dissecting the rest of your comment, bc that first paragraph alone says you’re too stupid to make any sense of what I say anyway

• Linda Taylor
      10:39 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Old School is that you using someone else’s screen name?

• Bruined
      10:40 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

The best program in college basketball that didnt play for a NC last year?

• PhilUK18
      10:57 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Bruined- Uh, yeah. Where is it written that the best program all time in college bball has to play for the title every single season? Anyone who would argue UCLA is all time a better program than UK is incredibly stupid. Apparently that group includes you.

• Bruined
      11:09 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Anyone that would argue UK is the best program with less championships than UCLA and only 9 more all time wins than Kansas probably has parents that are related.

• PhilUK18
      11:22 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

And how does the title count look for Kansas? How about all time wins for UCLA? Congrats to them on their great run with one amazing coach, but that doesn’t make a program the best ALL TIME. It makes them the best of the 60s and 70s, but last I checked there were lots of other decades where basketball has been played. You’re a fool. Drink something from under your sink, please.

• Bruined
      12:05 am November 26, 2013 Permalink

So when you’re arguing vs Kansas its championships that matter and vs UCLA its all-time wins? You should ease up on that lousy kentucky bourbon its turning your brain into mush or maybe its the inbreeding.

28. CatSinceBirth
    10:23 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, and you also stole my screen name.Think of something original idiot.

29. Uncle Rico
    10:27 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

#27 don’t pi$$ off UNCLE RICO. Cal is the best coach in basketball today so shut your mouth before Rico pays you a visit you old ba$tard

30. Jarrod T
    11:00 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m not plugging anything, but is it none other than Joe B directing the Russian Army National Choir? I mean, its his doppleganger for sure.

31. Catscatscats
    11:02 pm November 25, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky needs to play zone. With the new rules it would really help the guards keep quick guys out of the lane. Kentucky clicked tonight when Andrew Harrison was making plays. This team struggled when he was out, they couldn’t find a rhythm. A lot of fouls probably helped keep them from finding one. This team is going to be freaking good.

32. CatSinceBirth
    8:51 am November 26, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones, if the other CSB, who claims to be the original CSB, is indeed the original, please remove me, but at the same time, if I have seniority, please put him, or her in their place, and remove them. I have been CSB on KSR for several years, and this is the first I’ve seen this.