Kentucky still a two-seed in new Bracketology, but man what a path

What if I told you Kentucky could be in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament, playing its first and second round games in Columbus, followed by the regional in Louisville, and their toughest competition to get to the Final Four would be Virginia, Purdue, and Iowa State?

That’s pretty much a dream scenario, right? It’s the one Joe Lunardi laid out in his latest Bracketology, which still has Kentucky as a two-seed to Virginia’s one-seed, but with that path, who cares?

CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm also has Virginia and Kentucky as the top two seeds in the South, but with Houston as the three-seed and Iowa the four-seed:

Despite Saturday’s results, Lunardi and Palm still have Tennessee as a No. 1 seed, along with Duke, Virginia, and Gonzaga. The other twos? Michigan, Michigan State, and North Carolina.

I know we want a one-seed — and Kentucky’s chances of landing one are looking better and better — but is it worth it if we can be the two-seed in Louisville with a team like Virginia or Gonzaga as the one-seed?

[mobile_ad]

51 Comments for Kentucky still a two-seed in new Bracketology, but man what a path

1. bigbluebanana
    3:04 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’d take the 2 seed with that path all day long. The competition wouldn’t be terribly tough (however, we all kinda thought that last year too), and living in Pittsburgh, Columbus and Louisville are not bad drives to take my son to see the Cats somewhere other than Rupp. At this point though, I’ve grown confident enough in the Cats that any path they have to take, they can do it.

• Aar
      3:40 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’d suggest that the Cats’ strength as a team made last year’s path tougher than it was on paper. So far, the Cats don’t make me suspect the same this season.

• 4everUKblue
      4:11 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, we should be an 8 seed in the west, we don’t have any quality wins and Cal can’t coach. Did I mention I’m a season ticket holder?

• bigbluebanana
      4:50 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Nice 4ever! I was hoping someone would bust out this type of sarcastic comment. But to be fair…I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1845 and Stoops told me this weekend at our garden party the exact details of his wedding vows. I’m actually Cal’s brother and deserve the credit for bringing him here. To be fair, he still sucks and so does UK. So, I’m kind of a big deal and my finger is on the pulse of all things UK. Literally having UK discussed in March by every talking head in sports as a title contender does t change my view that Cal is the devil.

• J-Dub421
      4:19 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’d take this bracket all day every day. Who do I call to lock this in?

• RealCatsFan
      4:30 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

LMAO at 4ever channeling his inner mashburnfan. 😀

• runningunnin.454
      4:43 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

4ever forgot one…the SEC is no good, even though we have two teams in the top 5.

• ClutchCargo
      4:50 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

And we only have a .500 record over the past week. Pathetic.

• runningunnin.454
      4:59 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep, we lost to another bad SEC team; LSU is only ranked 13.

• Ridge Runner
      5:35 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Let’s book this flight!

• 4everUKblue
      6:00 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Thanks banana, RG and CC, I knew I’d forgotten some details, but I knew I could count on you guys to come through.

• mashburnfan1
      7:06 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Seems I am not alone in ranking the SEC. I have said all year there were 2 good teams. I said all year LSU is still an “I don’t know” team as they lost to some bad teams. After the top 2 plus possibly 1 all the SEC is bad. Here is an article I saw today.

SEC (Overall ESPN.com experts’ rank: 4)
      What’s good about the SEC: The national consensus is that the best teams in this league, Kentucky and Tennessee, could cut down the nets in Minneapolis at the Final Four. In the SEC, we might see two more matchups between the Vols and Wildcats before the NCAA tournament. Plus, the LSU squad that defeated Kentucky in Lexington last week has emerged as a possible sleeper in March. And Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Keldon Johnson, PJ Washington and Tremont Waters are all vying for All-American honors.

SEC Rankings
      Top/Bottom Strength 4th
      NCAA Title Likelihood 2nd
      Star Players Factor T-3rd
      Overall Watchability T-4th
      What’s bad about the SEC: Once you get beyond Kentucky, Tennessee and LSU, the league is a mess that lacks another team with bona fide second-weekend aspirations. Yes, the SEC might have seven NCAA tournament teams (or more), but its top-heavy vibe means it’s not easy to get excited about watching the action in this league if the Vols, Wildcats or Tigers aren’t involved. Plus, some of the SEC’s best players, such as Vanderbilt’s Simi Shittu and Arkansas’ Daniel Gafford, play on its worst teams. That the same South Carolina team that lost to Wyoming in December is 8-4 in SEC play is really all you need to know about this league. — Myron Medcalf

SUCK IT.

• catsarerunnin
      7:17 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

You’ve been saying a lot of things bashburn. You give yourself way too much credit.

• bigbluebanana
      7:23 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Quoting Myron Medcalf to prove a point on a UK website is one of your dumber moves. He hates UK and the SEC almost as much as you do. What’s next? You gonna quote Bob Knight for proof Cal sucks? You suck it. I’m honestly almost as excited for the Cats to win it all just so I can come here and see you soon it as a bad thing and use it as proof we suck, as I am just to see #9. Just remember mash, absolutely no one here values your input or thinks you’re smart even in the slightest. You’re just a miserable person. You’re pretty much a meme to us now as 4ever has shown with his/her flawless owning of you in the comments.

• runningunnin.454
      8:20 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Those SEC rankings are BS. When Auburn’s big man gets healthy, they’ll be really good; and Auburn, Ole Miss, and Miss State are still getting votes for the top 25.
      I don’t see any teams from the Big10, Big 12, or Pac 12 in the top 5.
      As far as watchability, when you have Wisconsin and Virginia in your conference you lead the snooze parade.

• 4everUKblue
      10:15 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Roflmao at mashburnfan, you really need to go into standup comedy man, you’re not even smart enough to realize you’re embarrassing yourself. What a clown!

2. IrishCat
    3:08 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

It doesn’t get better than that.

3. Bigblue7982
    3:11 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ll take this over a 1 seed.

4. brian
    3:18 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Why are the locations different? Columbia vs Columbus and Tulsa vs Hartford.

• shmikey
      3:28 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

The pod seeding they’ve been doing for several years now. It’s just for the first two weekend and then those 4 winners meet in the regional location. It’s to allow more teams to play closer to home so more fans go to the arenas. Aka more money for ncaa, but it’s win win for the fans too.

5. BBNBRIAN
    3:28 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

All day long, baby! It will never happen, but it’s nice to dream. We will have to run another brutal gauntlet while Duke is on the other side of the bracket with a cake walk.

6. ukkatzfan
    3:29 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Another date with the coach’s wife in first round ?

7. spincr4hire
    3:31 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Why pair against NKY again ?

• runningunnin.454
      4:28 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s probably the only thing he has right. They always put us against one of the smaller Kentucky schools.
      And you can bet if Murray State makes it, they have to play Louisville.

• RealCatsFan
      4:32 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep – if they aren’t satisfied screwing UK, they extend it to the other schools from the state.

8. Aar
    3:34 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’d rather be the top 2 seed than the weakest 1 seed that gets shipped off to Timbuktu with games starting at midnight eastern time. The top 2 gets games located close to home and favorable start times. The weakest 1 typically gets the opposite.

9. Brad Gregory
    3:43 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’d love it since I’ve got tickets in Louisville!!!

10. BigBlueToo
    3:44 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Gimme, gimme. I’ll take it.

• RealCatsFan
      4:32 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

You beat me to it – I was going to say almost the exact same thing.

11. AirForceOne
    4:10 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Give me that bracket!!! If course we all know the NCAA will screw us!!

12. terwilliger
    4:24 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

That Buffalo game is a trap game if it happens. They are good again this year and we sparked that ass last year after they talked trash. They have everybody back and will want revenge, while our team of freshmen won’t have a similar chip on their shoulder. Mark my words, if it happens, that will be our toughest game in that bracket.

• runningunnin.454
      5:02 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and they’re not in these brackets; but, don’t want to see Lehigh and Wofford. They’re No.1 and No.2 in 3 pt shooting in the nation.

• jaws2
      5:22 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and Lehigh and Wofford play NO ONE with the defense KY can play. Seriously, both would have a real tough time getting up good shots against this team. I wouldn’t be concerned about either of those.

• runningunnin.454
      6:35 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

You’re probably right jaws; I just thought it interesting when I saw the 3FG% leaders. I don’t know whom they’ve played; but, Wofford beat UNCheat last year at Chapel Hill, and I think only lost to the tackyheels by 10 this year.

13. shelby
    4:29 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Why do u ppl keep bringing up lunardi’s nonsense?

14. Swizzle
    4:34 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Dont wanna play Syracuse

15. runningunnin.454
    4:39 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I can’t believe they pay guys to come up with this stuff every week. Doesn’t mean anything.
    One thing they have wrong is that we’re not in UNCheat’s bracket. Done deal.
    The Loyola -Chi matchup is interesting; that’s the team we shaved points against in the NIT that resulted in three of our players being banned by the NBA.

16. Birdman75
    5:53 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been saying for a few weeks now that I’d MUCH rather be a 2 seed in the south than a 1 seed out west. May be a great thing to lose to Tennessee in Knoxville…

17. So “Sister” Jean will fire up her Twitter account to roast Drew again!!! Yes sir!!!

18. henderblue
    6:25 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Be great to have that path but lots of things can change. Doesn’t really mean a lot. As I remember we had a pretty nice path last year but we lost one we shouldn’t have. Gotta win 6-7 in a row, whatever it is, no matter who we play.

19. dukeisking
    7:08 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Had an easy path last season and look what happened.. Kansas state busted that tail..

• bigbluebanana
      7:28 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Almost as bad as: when dook lost to South Carolina last year in the second round (and they were expected to go much further than we were), or in 2014 when dook lost to that power house Mercer in the first round, or in 2012 when they fell to perennial favorites Lehigh in the first round. I’ll stop there because after Wednesday night this week, dook won’t even be number one anymore.

• runningunnin.454
      8:29 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

LOL BBB…you could at least get the Dookie some burn cream.

• 4everUKblue
      10:35 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah dUKe had the best roster the last three seasons and how did that work out? Let me know if you need a reminder dookie.

20. KYjellyRoll
    7:14 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

UK ends up being a 1 see just so they can keep us away from Louisville…maybe not but we a 1 seed team

21. KYFAN4LYFE
    7:56 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

LOL @ KSR already forgetting last year. Remember how great our path to the NC looked….until we got stopped early by KSU? I know I sure do. #NoEasyPath

• runningunnin.454
      8:27 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Every game can be tough; remember Princeton?
      And, for the record, KSU currently leads the Big 12 with a 10-3 record.

• KYFAN4LYFE