Kentucky Smashes Tennessee 70-55 for Second Straight Win at Thompson-Boling

Photo via SEC

Photo via SEC

Kentucky extended its winning streak to three by telling Tennessee to bite the curb, then stomping on their faces for 40 minutes. The Wildcats have now won two straight at Thompson-Boling after defeating Tennessee 70-55, their first win over a top 25 team this season.

Tennessee could do nothing to slow down Kentucky in the first half. Davion Mintz was not shy, pulling up from three in transition without hesitation and hitting the bottom of the net. He hit his first five three-point attempts, while Isaiah Jackson abused the Vols inside. He had 13 points, a pair of blocked shots and a thunderous slam before intermission.

As excellent as the offense was in the first half, Kentucky struggled to make shots after halftime. The easy transition buckets went away as UK made only 4/23 shots by the under-four media timeout, yet still led by 20 points thanks to whistles that put Kentucky on the free throw line. The Wildcats proved they are in fact free, draining 17-of-20 to keep the Vols at bay.

Kentucky’s defense deserves a ton of credit for today’s win. Tennessee had been averaging over 82 points over the last four games. Saturday afternoon the Vols only made 32.1% of their shots, including 6-of-22 from behind the three-point line.

The Big Blue Nation wondered if this team would ever turn a corner. As usual, the Wildcats are hitting their stride just in time for the postseason.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

64 Comments for Kentucky Smashes Tennessee 70-55 for Second Straight Win at Thompson-Boling

1. ThankfulCat
    3:01 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Line up haters/losers

I thought this team was done?
    I thought Barnes owned Cal?

2. mashman 93
    3:01 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I know we only have 8 wins, but this one by far is the most satisfying win of the season. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

• 4everUKBlue
      3:03 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I know I sure did enjoy it.

• GoCatz
      3:03 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Agree!!

• ukcamel
      3:33 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

As Kevin Malone would say, it’s just nice to win one

• Bluenblood
      4:20 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Agree

• FloridaCat88
      5:31 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I bleed blue win or lose, always have always will. At this point I just enjoy watching this team get better and continue to fight. Go CATS!

3. 4everUKBlue
    3:02 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

This is 100% Cal’s fault! Isn’t that what they say when we lose?

• ThankfulCat
      3:03 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I blame Cal totally

• 4everUKBlue
      3:04 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I agree.

• ThatsAShame
      3:09 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Fire Cal! Cant coach. Game has passed him by! Blah blah blah

• mashman 93
      3:38 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I blame Cal for this win too.

• InigoMontoya
      3:44 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I blame Jobu.

• EdC
      3:52 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Same stuff different day. People who value Cal more than UK give him credit for all wins and blame something else for all losses. This was a good win but it doesn’t prove anything either way.

• Glam Girl
      4:21 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

AGREE

• 4everUKBlue
      4:24 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Ed that depends on your point of view. As I see it the Cal haters blame Cal 100% for all the losses and give him zero credit for any wins. Personally I’m going to live in today and enjoy this W.

4. GM1978
    3:08 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Garbage Truck Workers convention

5. Dildo Baggins
    3:09 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

You idiots are chirping over a losing season??? wow!!!!!!

• ThankfulCat
      3:12 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

You’re chirping like a loser. Are you mad or big mad?

• 4everUKBlue
      3:12 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Yeah the nerve of fans enjoying a blowout win against a bitter rival on their home court….I see now how you can call us idiots, enjoy your misery.

• spincr4hire72
      3:13 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

….And you’re on here commenting

• nocode96
      3:15 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

lol, no. We are just frustrated with dildos like you that are sheets pointing out the negatives. Today was a very solid win, go enjoy it rather than chomping at the bit to come on here and be a Debbie downer. We bleed blue in a championship season, we bleed blue in a winless session. That’s our team and we are proud of them and support them even in the worst of times. Try it, you may like it. Or, just stay miserable, no one cares.

• EdC
      3:21 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

That’s what I was thinking. I am glad for a win and it is a the bet win this season for this team but being an actual UK fan doesn’t typically include getting giddy over beating the #18 team in the country to go improve your record to 8-13.

• Bluehender
      5:03 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Ed, what would you get giddy over right now? Its middle of February, snow covered and “fans” are happy over a win over one of our rivals. In convincing fashion on their court. What is gonna make you giddy right now if it’s not that? Maybe you just like being miserable..

• ClutchCargo
      3:28 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Any win over UT on their home court in any season is a big win. Any UK fan who has been around longer than 10 or so years understands that.

• Bluenblood
      4:21 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Go away Toothless Troll

• millertim
      9:22 am February 21, 2021 Permalink

Clutch, you have your deputy of Minister of Propaganda for UK— 4everUKBlue. He’s a Goebbel’s protege blindly worshipping Cal and attacking all independent thinkers— perfect fit for your regime.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:38 am February 21, 2021 Permalink

Hey Tim I just enjoy listening to you living in misery, your life might get better if you learned how to eliminate all that hatred from you sick skull.

• millertim
      10:49 am February 21, 2021 Permalink

Actually I have a great life and enjoy talking to real fans on here that don’t lap up the garbage Cal spews from time to time. Sorry that some on here have too dense of a brain to think independently of the company line. I’m sure you have enjoyed our losing season and agree with every lie and deceit that Cal has offered to explain the team’s failures but not his own. Your acceptance of failure and mediocrity says more about you than those of us UK fans who demand excellence from a top caliber program. Nope, unlike some, I have a great life and sports is just one realm that I enjoy but also view with a critical eye to push the program back to the top echelon of college bball.

6. friendsofcoal
    3:09 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Hitting their stride just in time for postseason? What postseason?

• ClutchCargo
      3:29 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

SEC tournament. Win that and we keep playing.

7. NashCat79
    3:10 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

As a guy that lives and works in TN, the text messages are much more enjoyable today. Hopefully we can pick up a couple more games and stay on this little run. Defense, triples, and free throws. We can win that way.

8. Mr.Incognito
    3:17 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

SEC tourney and we’ll go from there (hopefully)

9. HoptownBBN82
    3:18 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

So I guess Allen and Ware might as well get used to riding the pine the rest of the season. That or only seeing the court for 2 minutes a game. Gotta build draft stock for those 5 star players.

• EdC
      3:22 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Did you miss the part about UK winning convincingly with that strategy?

• 4everUKBlue
      3:22 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Way to find the negative, I was worried no one was going to come with negative comments. I personally don’t care who plays as long as we win, it looked like the best combination of players to me.

• Cats513
      3:22 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Dude we won by 15

• MrFlip41129
      3:23 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Does it matter long as the CATS win? Those kids don’t seem upset about it! Only old men fans that wish for old days think and feel negative about a win and worry about mins for kids that are not 5 star. Go elsewhere with negativity.

• katmandue2you
      3:43 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Boy don’t you know shit from apple butter? Stereotyping old men the best you got to bring to this party? Better watch licking your fingers at the breakfast table

• MrFlip41129
      3:50 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Haha Boy!? I’m a 40 year old man! I have alot to bring to THIS PARTY! But really don’t want to be negative. I’m a Kentucky fan from eastern kentucky true Blue. Just tired of the negative comments Cal haters and politics that get brought up. And I will watch my fingers are the breakfast table after your wife and/or mother gets finished cooking it for me…

• katmandue2you
      4:19 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Well I’m tired of 40 year olds making juvenile comments about old men. My momma is dead but if she had fixed you breakfast it would’ve been the best breakfast you ever tasted. Now my wife? …she leaves a lot to be desired in the kitchen and she’s East Ky born and raised. But being from West Ky and living in Central Ky. hopefully we can agree on two things: Tennessee Sucks and Elders need to be respected. Don’t bat your eyes you’ll be there before you know it.

• Bluenblood
      4:23 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Some people just cant enjoy anything…..

10. Dr. Tom
    3:20 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Okay all you basketball beanies, are you ready to face the wrath from Cal??

• 4everUKBlue
      3:23 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Don’t you have some experimental vaccines or pills to push?

11. bigblueincincy
    3:26 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Two things every post can count on.

Complain about Allen.?

Stupid ass kneeling comment…

Enjoy the wins and cheer for the team. Nothings ever good enough. This Team plays hard and when shots fall they can be pretty good.

• EdC
      3:28 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

You forgot about complaining about Askew and calling him a turnover machine despite the fact that he has the best assist to turnover ratio on the team. Don’t get me wrong. I still don’t like Calipari but it was a good win, end of story.

12. sammydog
    3:38 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

The fans are the ones putting the pressure on Allen. Insisting Cal play him when he is actually a 1st year player isn’t helping the kid. He has to hate the pressure that puts on him. Leave him alone and allow him to develop at his own pace. All this hullabaloo has to be making him a nervous wreck.

• mashman 93
      3:40 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Best post I have read about Dontae and playing time.

• T-Town Cat
      4:09 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Amen, Brother.

13. Dr. Tom
    3:40 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

How about that out-of-bounds pass under the basket to Toppin!!

• T-Town Cat
      4:12 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

An out-of-bounds play! What th….?

14. HoptownBBN82
    3:57 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Couple of things to point out here. 1. I’m not an old man, I’m a woman. 2. Yes we won but we still have a losing record so there’s that. Call me negative all you want but facts are facts. 3. Yes I am complaining about playing time for Ware and Allen because lack of playing time usually leads to transfers out of the program or have we forgotten that because we actually won? I guess it doesn’t matter if they transfer now that we are on a “winning streak” just like it didn’t matter when Juzang, Baker, and Matthews transferred out because we were winning. That’s all I’m saying on the subject.

• Bluenblood
      4:24 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

I am positive that you are negative

• 4everUKBlue
      4:34 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Hoptown, Juzang was homesick, Baker showed never showed much promise and I believe the spotlight was too bright for all three. As I understand it playing time is largely decided in practice, the right players were on the court today as evidenced by the 15 point W at UT. We dominated them most of the game, played great defense and won big on the boards. Anyone wanting playing time probably needs to show it in practice and during whatever time they get on the court, like Toppin for example.

15. panicpat
    4:06 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

That second half was like getting teeth pulled.

16. Southky
    4:08 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Now that they have strung together some wins do your think it would be a good time for a “social justice message?” Or do y’all think that might be a bit distracting?

17. T-Town Cat
    4:10 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Great offense the first half, even better defense the entire game. UT looked discombobulated. Our players look more relaxed and happier, which should make us happier.

18. JGo
    8:55 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

A gr8 win with a gr8 showing as a team. Toppin coming on. Really want to see Sarr pick his game up more.

19. millertim
    9:49 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Good win and great first half! Something about beating Tennessee that is more enjoyable than any other SEC team! Kudos to Cal for having this team play at a high level… though its late in the season and post-season tourney unlikely, there’s still hope!!

20. millertim
    9:51 pm February 20, 2021 Permalink

Wow… say something positive about the team and Coach Cal and instantly be put in censorship, “comment awaiting moderation” garbage. Great win for CATS and always love beating Tennessee! Hoepfully this comment makes it through…

• 4everUKBlue
      9:41 am February 21, 2021 Permalink

Tim it’s probably because the bot thinks someone hacked your account and posted a positive comment, it is so unlike you.

• millertim
      10:55 am February 21, 2021 Permalink

Nope, wrong again. I post positive comments when its merited and when your team is 8-13 with a limited chance at a post-season then you’ll see more constructive comments meant to improve the team, not demean it. Your cheerleading efforts do nothing to improve a failed team— just accept losing as a norm. Well, I don’t accept my beloved UK program falling off the top echelon, like you do… sorry, comrade, I think independently of the company line… But hey, keep attacking those who think. I’m sure it makes you feel good and is probably the only way you feel you can “support” the team…lol

21. JDid