Kentucky reaches out to Purdue graduate transfer Matt Haarms

© Brian Spurlock | USATSI

© Brian Spurlock | USATSI

Kentucky is among the 20-plus schools that have reached out to Purdue graduate transfer Matt Haarms.

According to a new report by 247Sports’ Evan Daniels, Kentucky joined Gonzaga, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Illinois State, Louisville, Arizona, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Arizona State, Syracuse, DePaul, South Carolina, Boston College, Seton Hall, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Washington State, Utah, Oregon State, San Jose State, and Cal State Fullerton in the first wave of schools to reach out to the 7-foot-3 center following his transfer decision Monday.

“It’s been a wild day,” Haarms told Daniels. “Have about 30 missed calls that I still need to catch up with. … It’s too early [to know who I’ll consider] right now. I still have people calling who haven’t texted me so I don’t even have the full picture just yet.”

Last season at Purdue, the talented transfer prospect averaged 8.6 points on 52.4% shooting, to go with 4.6 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks a game just a year after averaging 9.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game as a sophomore. Per 40 minutes, Haarms averaged 16.7 points (52.4% FG, 63.4% FT), 8.9 rebounds, and 3.8 blocks per contest.

According to Pivot Analysis – a data-driven basketball analytics outlet – and later publicized by Sam Vecenie of The Athletic, opposing teams shoot just 49.1% at the rim when he’s on the floor compared to 58.1% when he is off.

After graduating this spring, the 7-foot-3 center will be eligible to play immediately next season.

Would you like to see the Purdue transfer at Kentucky next season?

Future Wildcat guard Terrence Clarke certainly would…

Check out some of his highlights below:

(247Sports)

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

28 Comments for Kentucky reaches out to Purdue graduate transfer Matt Haarms

1. Fitz
    6:28 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

“Would you like to see the Purdue transfer at Kentucky next season?”

Absolutely! He may not be the total answer to our need for a biggie, but with scholarships to give and no big man on the horizon why not have him for a year. Thirty other programs have reached out to him, so he’s must be considered a good get

2. Bluebloodtoo
    6:33 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Love it. Great fit for cal’s big man. Would be good for haarm too.

3. JASUN74
    6:46 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

You better believe we’d love to have this big fella. Forget what some genius posters here will say, this kid could make a big time impact wherever he goes. He’s a defensive stopping big that would be fantastic in our style of play. I mean perfect for Kentucky. You just can’t substitute his size and length on the court. Good luck Cal and bring him in if you can. Go Cats

• BobbyBlue
      7:11 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

If Cal wants him I am all for it, but I suppose that is still to be decided.

4. blueblue
    6:50 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

I can count on one hand the number of schools in that list that would be a step up from staying at Purdue. Just my opinion!

5. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    7:00 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

BBN—>Cal: Get him!

6. CrystalBall
    7:15 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

If EJ knew he would be playing the 4 instead of the 5 he might be more likely to return.

7. jimlowe7
    7:17 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Purdue may not have the Masters Degree he wants so he can go elsewhere to get it and play immediatelly

8. Bruce Dickinson
    7:37 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

This would definitely help us next year. If he wants to play professionally, it would definitely help him too.

• mashburnfan1
      8:53 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Yea cause Cal has done so well developing Nick and EJ. Both were 1st round picks (Nick a possible lottery pick) as a HS senior and after 3 years under Cal Nick is now a mid 2nd round pick and EJ is a late pick to not drafted. Would love for the kid to come here, to play for Kentucky first and foremost. We have enough draft picks, I want titles and right now (and past several years) we are not close to one.

• Park
      10:45 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, his track record with bigs is horrible. I mean Cousins, Noel, Davis, Cauley-Stein, Towns, Adebayo. Why can’t Cal get and improve a big? smh

• timbo
      11:34 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Get lost mash. You’re utter garbage. I’d respect you a lot more, and even dialogue with you, if you were honest about your team loyalty. Only an antagonistic coward would pretend, insult with backhanded comments, and carry on as you do, here. You’re too dishonest for that though, and you’re not interested in dialogue. You type, hoping to enrage others. You’re a bum, of the worst variety.

• Bruce Dickinson
      10:26 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

You are crazy if you can’t see Nick has gotten better. The only championships you want are for duke or some other school.

• catsby.5
      11:32 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Trashburnfan, go play in traffic you pessimistic, lousy excuse for a Cats fan. People like you are never satisfied and believe that the grass is always greener on the other side, On behalf of us all, please go to the other side. Idiot.

• dcforuk
      5:33 pm April 7, 2020 Permalink

A coach’s track record getting 4-5 stars to the pros is similar to a major league baseball batting average. Nick Richard was not mentally confident enough to go from high school to the pros. That was revealed freshman year. He may have actually gotten drafted higher than he’s projected now but it would’ve been based on fools gold. Everyone knows that. That is a very poor example if you want to bash Cal.

9. tdub
    7:46 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Get him!

10. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    7:54 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Rumor that the Purdue coaches are claiming that 1 team on that list tampered and reached out to he kid well before he announced he was leaving.

• mashburnfan1
      8:54 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

If it was UK it would be all over the news, we are clear.

11. Fitz
    8:08 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Iona? Wouldn’t that be special!

12. sprtphan
    8:52 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

I love this guy.

13. michaelb
    8:59 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

TBD

14. michaelb
    9:02 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the staffs reasoning : ok he’s a grad (mature ,smart etc) . We’re the best a making players good post players – Kenny and cal will make this guy a decent big . The thing I’m not liking is that the grad transfer doesn’t have a 3 ball this time . That’s a great plus just look at our last 2 seasons

• RoarFor22
      11:36 am April 7, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t say Reid had a “3 ball” shot lmao he shot like 20% on 25 tries. Sestina had an actual three point shot, Reid was not a three point shooter whatsoever

15. RAGE
    9:48 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

I am going out on the limb and just say he is KENTUCKY bound at this point… Do I know something??? OF COURSE NOT lol but I just have the feeling that he is going to wear the blue and white next year… Plus I have read a lot of our comments tonight about him and have no reason why some people would not want him here.. I have heard almost everyone on here kept saying that we need big men for next year and not more guards.. The option are def dwindling at this point.. So why not take a flyer on him.. You can’t teach 7’3” and he can protect the rim.. Perfect for our defensive philosophy… Would let our wings gamble more on defense and pressure the ball more.. Do I think he is the answer to everything of course not.. However I think for what we need next year he is a pretty good fit.. So I hope Cal can bring him home band I think he will but maybe I am just hoping lol

16. dcforuk
    10:02 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

Answer a good question with a question…….why wouldn’t we want to see him at Kentucky next season?

• dcforuk
      5:27 pm April 7, 2020 Permalink

I will give you one good reason why we wouldn’t want him. We first would want Nick Richards to come back but if he does not come back then we want this Purdue guy. Or, maybe your response to that is like my son’s response: “we want him either way.”

17. catsby.5
    11:31 pm April 6, 2020 Permalink

• BobbyBlue
      12:47 pm April 7, 2020 Permalink

Just occurred to me that Trashburm is actually Jerry Tipton—- Hell look at the backhanded attempts to run down Cal and the Cats .