Kentucky ranked 14th in both the AP and Coaches Polls

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

After dominating wins over Georgia and South Carolina, we knew Kentucky would move up in the polls, but the question was how high. The latest polls are out and Kentucky is ranked 14th in both, an 8-spot jump in the AP poll and a 7-spot jump in the Coaches Poll.

The top three is also the same in both polls: #1 Villanova, #2 Kansas, #3 Oklahoma. Here are both polls side by side for your comparison:

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 12.53.03 PM

30 Comments for Kentucky ranked 14th in both the AP and Coaches Polls

1. Suffering Fools
    1:59 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

And we’d have buried Kansas if Ulis hadn’t had a cold.

2. kenny
    2:09 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Any update on Alex Poythress? I’ really hope he comes back healthy. It would be nice if he played a couple games before the ncaa tourney, it would be big mentally, and physically for him.

3. Mathlete
    2:10 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Daaaaaaaaaaamn Dayton, check out the Flyers! Sean Miller has some competition from his little bro for the best coach in the family.

Anyone else that loves seeing the little guys make some noise in the polls (and obviously the tournament)?

• BobKYCats
      2:17 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely. I’ve enjoyed seeing Dayton, GW, Providence, and maybe even St Joes before the year’s over get time in the polls. It’s what makes college basketball so great.

My all time favorite was that year that Murray St peaked at No. 8.

• crazyy8s
      2:32 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know if the talent is there for Dayton to really make a deep run, but Archie is legit. There’s a reason he gets mentioned as a candidate for top-tier coaching jobs. I just hope he’s smart enough not to take the probation-laden UofL job when it comes open. He’s the best coach I think might be willing to take that job in it’s current state (although they may get a sacrificial lamb to coach through the probation years before going after better coaches). I’m still thinking Archie may be Kentucky’s next coach.

• Mathlete
      2:38 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has thought UK’s next HC (in 20 years after Calipari hangs it up and the banners stretch all the way around Rupp’s rafters) should be a Miller. Either Archie or Sean would be fine with me, but I think Sean is more prepared for the bright blue spotlight than Archie if that decision had to be made today.

• crazyy8s
      3:14 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I’d be thrilled with either Miller, but the biggest selling point for me is that Archie is only 37 (10 years younger than Sean). I’m not convinced there is a tangible coaching ability difference between the two, and Archie could potentially stick at one school for decades. There’s some incredible potential there.

• J-Dub421
      3:18 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t want anyone as UK’s next head coach who hasn’t at least made a final four.

• Mathlete
      3:47 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

@J-Dub – a fair point, but how many Final Four coaches are looking to leave their current gigs? Even if UK did come calling, who would seriously consider the offer? Brad Stevens? Gregg Marshall? Shaka Smart? John Beilein? Jay Wright? Billy Donovan? Kevin Ollie?

The trouble is there just aren’t that many guys who have built consistent contenders and would be willing to uproot and move to Lexington. Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Mike Krchevysilverado, Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins, Roy Williams… these guys aren’t going anywhere. They’re kings in their current castles. Even if they did have the opportunity to come to Camelot, who’s going to roll the dice like that?

Archie Miller took Dayton to the Elite 8 and they’re always dangerous in the tournament, there has to be something to be said for that considering the caliber of players he can get at a mid-major school.

Meanwhile Sean Miller contends with Calipari for a lot of top-level recruits, even if he doesn’t win many of those battles (because, you know, Calipari and the UK effect). We’d consistently have great players coming through here and one of those teams is bound to break the ceiling for him eventually.

It’s all hypothetical anyway, but UK is going to have an impossibly hard time finding another coach as perfectly suited for the job as Cal.

• J-Dub421
      3:57 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I agree that any coach who’s currently at one of the other big name programs MSU, Kansas, etc.) are not going to leave their current programs. Everyone throws around 4 names (for the most part) of possible replacements for Cal: Sean and Archie Miller, Greg Marshall (Wichita St.), and sometimes Mark Few (Gonzaga). None of them have made a final four. This is why it’s depressing to think about replacements for Cal, because there really isn’t one. Anyone who’s on Cal’s level (or relatively close to it) is at a major program they aren’t going to leave. The rest simply aren’t good enough. Hopefully Cal will stay for several more years, and we won’t have to worry about it.

• nets on nets on nets
      4:10 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Quick question guys: how many top 10 wins does Kentucky have this year??
      I know Duke beat UVA, and Louisville beat Virginia, heck even Wisconsin and Oklahoma State have top 10 wins?
      Also, are they any potential top 10 wins left on UK’s SEC schedule?? I believe a top 10 win would really boost UK’s tournament resume.

• nets on nets on nets
      4:10 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

CORRECTION. Lousville beat UNC.

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      4:22 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Greg Marshall has made a final four. The year little brother got lucky.

• BobKYCats
      4:26 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Just one, nets, over No. 5 Duke in the Champions Classic.

Now go home.

• Mathlete
      4:28 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Agreed, I’d like for Calipari to stick around until he’s older than Rupp would be today if that’s possible. I could see him hanging it up or moving on after next year though, that kind of grind is tough on anyone.

You could also take a flyer on Tony Bennett from UVA if you’re not excited about the Millers, Few, Marshall, et al. They don’t play the most exciting brand of basketball on Earth but their defense is consistently top shelf and they win a lot of games in a tougher conference than the SEC.

• J-Dub421
      4:28 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I stand corrected WWT. Greg Marshall moves up a notch in my estimation then.

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      4:47 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Until Tony Bennett makes it past the Sweet Sixteen I’m not sold on him. His ceiling could get higher over the next 5 years but I think he is right where he belongs.

4. secrick
    2:52 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

What’s wrong with Kenny Payne being the next head coach at UK and buy the way i hope he doesn’t take the u of l job but couldn’t blame him since he played for them.

• CATandMONKEY
      2:59 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

He has never had a head coaching job. He will not be offered the UoL job. As mentioned by Matt during the show, this is NOT football. UK is the number one coaching job in the country and UofL is a top-ten job. No way those would ever go to someone, no matter how good and beloved, that has no head-coaching on their resume.

• Mathlete
      3:02 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

KP is a great guy and a good coach, but he’s not experienced enough to get the UK job. The UK HC has been and will continue to be one of the most sought-after jobs in all of basketball, so you really have to pay your dues or have tremendous success (or get stupidly lucky like BCG).

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:00 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Dang, Texas A&M be tumblin’ with those 4 straight L’s. They were going to be a great win for us.

6. nets on nets on nets
    3:33 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I could see Johnny Jones as a candidate for the next UK job (once Cal goes to the NBA, whenever a great job presents itself.) Jones can recruit obviously and he rolls the ball out and lets the players do what they think is best. I think Jones could really embrace the “get tossed ASAP and let the players do the coaching” tactic.

• david8577
      3:39 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

What a sad sad life you lead.

• jfluse
      3:40 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

The only trolls who would make that comment are either wading in the squirts (U of L) or can’t stand that dwight schrute (IU) is on their sideline!

• Broski
      4:12 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Cotton headed ninny muggins

• CATandMONKEY
      6:13 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Grayson Allen was found out who his father was when he played UK.

7. Rankin1205
    4:36 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Does it bother anybody else that we destroy Georgia & S Carolina & move up 7/8 spots and Grayson Allen travels to squeak out a win @ home against granted a very good UVA team & moves up 9/10 spots.

8. Ky_Tom
    5:03 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

@ BigLaw Dawgin’
    I hope Your right, but its my guess, when UK gets to Texas, the Aggies will play their best game of the year,, count on it,,,,,,,We see it so many times, ..Games You think UK is and should be a lock, and the other team just plays out their a$$, and makes shots look easy…At least this is what I expect from Texas A&M…..Hell, I’ll be very surprised to see UK have a easy win at Home against Tennessee Thursday Night..A team that clearly embarrassed Kentucky after blowing a 21 point lead…But the game that stick out in my mind…The Auburn loss…There no rhyme or reason UK should have lost that game.. But like I said, other teams seem to make unbelievable shots look easy, and its always a guy who never scores that does it…How many times has UK let unknown players have a career night against them…way to many for my liking…………

9. bigbluekyhokie
    10:11 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Li’l brother not even showing up in the coaches poll. Sad.

10. UKfanman01
    10:13 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Agree with coaches poll more. SMU and UofLol have no business being ranked considering they’re both on sanctions