Kentucky now has the best odds to win the National Championship

KSR-3625

Kentucky may be the eighth best team in the eyes of the AP votes, but according to Vegas, they’re now the favorite to win the NCAA Championship. Bovada updated their odds this week and Kentucky is the favorite to bring home the title at 5-1:

• Kentucky: 5-1
  • Purdue: 50-1
  • Butler: 50-1
  • Florida: 50-1
  • Maryland: 50-1
  • Michigan State: 66-1
  • Indiana: 75-1

Those buildings are tall for a reason…

[Bovada]

49 Comments for Kentucky now has the best odds to win the National Championship

1. Mathlete
    12:50 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I love my team, but I’m not seeing whatever Vegas sees yet. Hopefully by the time March gets here I will have changed my mind

• ukjaybrat
      1:10 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

my guess is really good guards. and hopefully that they won’t be sick in march. but liek you i’m a little skeptical “at this time” we’ll see in a couple months

2. Ben27
    12:53 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Count me as very happy, but confused! Lose to TN & Kansas and barely beat Georgia? I am glad to not be peaking at this time like U of L is right now. We have plenty of time to improve both offensively and defensively. Wide open tournament! All depends on matchups.

• maximumscott
      1:20 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

TN played extremely well. Barnes said they played their best all season that game. We played with no energy. KU beat us, plain and simple. I do think KU is playing better now as a team than we are, so considering that i dont look at the overall picture as that bad. KU is a hot team right now. UGA, we didnt have Fox, Mulder amd Bam didnt play for an entire half and we let them build a 14 right off jump with no energy. However the UGA game i liked. We had to win with Will and Toughness. Monk played extremely well defensively and looked to give more effort on D. If that carries over, then we are heading to our peak, which is higher than any other team in the country hands down!

3. UKFaninNY
    12:56 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Um, no they are not

“Odds-on” means they are better than 1:1

Learn sports terminology

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:01 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

odds-on (ŏdz′ŏn′, -ôn′)
      adj. Informal
      More likely than others to win; having a good chance of success: “I was the odds-on favorite to become the next president of the Ford Motor Company” (Lee Iacocca).

• Mathlete
      1:07 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Need some ointment?

• CatsFanFrankfort
      1:10 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Um, who cares how she worded it?

Learn not to be a petty dbag.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:11 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

UKfaninNY continues to reinforce the “insufferable prick” stereotype that many apply to New Yorkers.

• ukjaybrat
      1:16 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

HEY !!!!
      My wife’s from New York and only half her family are insufferable pricks
      😀

• UKFaninNY
      1:21 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

You bothered to give me the “dictionary definition”… and yet you changed it

Why?

(I know the answer)

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:25 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Because I didn’t want people to be confused between the informal/colloquial definition and the racing definition you used. Here’s another definition for you:

smart-ass
      ˈsmärdas/
      informal
      noun
      a person who is irritating because they behave as if they know everything.
      “for a know-it-all smart-ass like me, it was a humbling experience”

• CATandMONKEY
      1:23 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

My state shares a border with NY and my wife would argue some of it rubbed off and travelled south with me. If this was his first ridiculously inane comment I perhaps could have refrained; however…no doubt Big Board could regale us with UKFinNY’s illustrious collection of witty reparte’.

• ukjaybrat
      1:25 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Doesn’t look changed to me.

Looks like depending on what dictionary you find the definition in, it will have slightly differen wording.
      The fact you are unwilling to admit you were wrong speaks more about you than it does TT

• catsarerunnin
      1:31 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I love the smartassness of Mrs.TT. Carry on.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:32 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

If he had chosen to elucidate and discuss that more than one definition exists; that would be reasonable. He went straight to full douchenozzle. Not out of character based on previous posts.

• catsarerunnin
      1:38 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to use “douchenozzle” the next a telemarketer calls. Well done and thank you.

• catsarerunnin
      1:39 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

*next time.

• binarysolo
      1:39 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

UKFaninNY is odds-on-favorite to lose this argument.

Signed,
      A UK fan in Brooklyn

• Angelo
      1:43 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I like Tyler’s spunk!

• Booby Petrino
      2:03 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

UKFaninNY is now headed to the proctologist to get TT’s foot removed.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:11 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, this dude is definitely a turd. He usually resorts to “KY is full of toothless hillbillies” when he’s cornered.

Gimme a few….

I’ll be back.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:50 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

UKFaninNY February 18, 2015 at 9:31 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)

I like number 1 the most — Y’all got nothing else to live for so may as well root for a good basketball team!

UKFaninNY October 25, 2016 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Sorry Stoops,

But you did suck —

If you think you won so you were right, then you’re dumber than most even think

———————–

“A Story on Enes Kanter’s Success with OKC”
      UKFaninNY April 12, 2015 at 9:07 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)

His numbers are better but you do realize that not only are the Jazz much better without him but OKC is actually better when he’s on the bench.

UKFaninNY February 29, 2016 at 9:51 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      I love how Tyler, a huge UK fan, thought Murray just started doing the bow and arrow thing Saturday…

UKFaninNY June 23, 2016 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

NBA Draft…

No one cares.

UKFaninNY March 22, 2016 at 9:01 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)

I just wanted to post that Roush should be finished here

I’m shocked we haven’t seen an apology non-apology yet actually

———————–

“Rex Chapman is in studio! (Wednesday Show Thread)”
      UKFaninNY
      UKFaninNY October 26, 2016 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Eff him

UKFaninNY November 7, 2016 at 9:57 am | Permalink
      Like It (1)

Quit trying to make Rex liked again —

Chapman has shown (more than once) he doesnt deserve another chance

UKFaninNY November 29, 2016 at 9:26 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)

Dakich sounded like he was being paid by UK

Quite honestly, it was embarrassing

He also kept pulling the ridiculous “this referees didn’t even play basketball!” card — as if that has anything to do with whether something’s a foul

He was bad, but I guess since he was (obscenely) pro-Kentucky, you guys will love it

UKFaninNY November 4, 2016 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I know — it’s crazy — I cant believe he (Jamal Murray) sucks

UKFaninNY June 24, 2016 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

This is basically a nightmare for Cal —

I mean, his own stated goal is to get kids to the next level — He did a lousy job (I know they all will have their shot but they all did worse then expected)

NBA Draft day is supposed to be his Super Bowl — He lost

UKFaninNY June 29, 2016 at 12:59 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)

You realize this site hated Calipari before UK hired him, right?

UKFaninNY November 16, 2016 at 10:10 am | Permalink
      Like It (1)

As good as Monk looked, that’s how bad Bam looks — And not just to me…Others are taking notice…

UKFaninNY April 24, 2015 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Tyler —

Okay, but like I said, at least be funny

Those attempts at humor are (severely) lacking

UKFaninNY October 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)

I know everyone loves these but enough with the military comparisons to football — It’s dishonoring to those who actually served in the armed forces

At least you got rid of that Patton quote on the header that wasn’t even a Patton quote (thereby underlining how stupid this is)

———————–

“It’s official: John Calipari elected into the Hall of Fame”

UKFaninNY April 6, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)

Pretty funny that this is occurring now, when pretty much everyone agrees he was outcoached by a guy who didn’t make the HOF…

In fact, Mark Titus, who is very fair and certainly not a “hater” blames Calipari in large part for the loss over at Grantland.com (Hubris!)

• UKFaninNY
      3:10 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Ha!

I love how you have so much free time to look up my posts from months (years?) ago

As far as “odds-on” – I am right – It is never used to mean better odds than any individual team but as the better than 1:1 favorite

It’s okay, you can admit that’s why it was changed

• ClutchCargo
      3:14 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

RIP, UKFaninNY

• UK Big Board Update
      4:01 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Google search. Took me about 5 minutes.

And again, because you refuse to admit defeat:

odds-on (ŏdz′ŏn′, -ôn′)
      adj. Informal

• J-Dub421
      4:03 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

odds-on favorite
      odds-on favorite
      the most popular choice of a wager. Fred is the odds-on favorite for president of the board of trustees.
      See also: favorite
      McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Everyone uses odds-on favorite to mean the favorite. It’s a commonly used idiom.

• UKFaninNY
      11:07 am February 3, 2017 Permalink

Again, she wouldnt have change dit if she thought she was correct

The end

4. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    1:00 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Vegas knows Hamidou Diallo is going to be suiting up for the CATS before too long. Fox, Monk, Briscoe, Diallo and Bam. With Wenyen and Willis coming off the bench first. Small lineup, but so are the warriors and every other successful team in the NBA. 😉

• ukjaybrat
      1:15 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

the warriors have a gameplan that college teams can’t emulate. they have 6 players averaging over 38% from three plus one at 35% and one at 31%

A college team would be lucky to have more than 3 guys shooting like that.

• SleepieAce
      1:18 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I’ll just be happy if we beat Florida without Fox and no one else gets sick. Tournament is still several games away.

• ukjaybrat
      1:20 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

report from ksr earlier said fox and mulder could be back this weekend in time for the game. no word on skj though.
      We should know more after today’s practice

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:00 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Not saying UK has to shoot from the 3 to play small, they play small by using their speed and their defense to cause turnovers or a tough shot, and execute in transition. Ill take that lineup and hope that Diallo could be the stopper we need! Hes got a 6 foot 11 wing span, coupled with elite athleticism that adds up to a hell of a defensive specimen and finisher in transition. You got to hope with this team that Monk is hitting his shot and we are playing solid defense out front and not giving up straight line drives. Lets not try to pretend to be something that we are not. Were not packing it inside and dumping it off to Bam, that doesn’t work and it clogs the lane up. He gets 5-7 touches a game for a reason. Teams play us a specific way now and we have to adjust to that style, or we will be out of the tournament early. Teams are going to zone us until we start to make 3s and then adjust and play a box and 1, with their best defender mirroring Monk. We dont have another guy down low to help Bam! Plain and simple. We have two 6″9 guys in Derek and Wenyen, that are not low post offensive players. Speeeeeed is the name of the game this year. And the way to stop us is to slow it down. Hence the low scoring games last few weeks. Perfect time to start to “tweak”, then peak…

5. mikeintn
    1:10 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

WOW I like the sound of that, but I don’t see it now, makes me feel better.

6. Sentient Third Eye
    1:15 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

If Kentucky gets their groove back in the next month (meaning they get healthy and solve how to attack a 3-2 zone), it might be too late for teams to figure out the next way to beat them.

7. maximumscott
    1:16 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Alot of teams are peaking right now and playing their best ball. Peaking is referred to as reaching the maximum potential your team can possibly reach. Teams often dont sustain the peak for months. Typically, teams will peak and stay hot for a month and a half, sometimes longer. Im glad we arent playing our best now. We have definitely not peaked. But we have seen what it would lool like offensively, just not defensively yet. This team will be firing come SEC tourny time, which as always is just in time for tourny. Cal has the pieces to win a title. I think we are lock for elite 8 and a food shot at FF.

8. Tipa
    1:24 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

My guess is that most of the favorably for Kentucky is due too a popularity bias and deep runs in past seasons. Kentucky has the most fans, and so many fans are wanting to bet for them which in turn drives the line lower. Additionally Cal’s ability to over perform expectations in the tournament is probably still in peoples minds. Looking at Cal’s time here, he is the most likely coach to get his team to the elite eight/final four whether he has a good or “bad” team. Similarly Villanova, Baylor, and Gonzaga will be very high odds compared to current rank because of popularity. I’m surprised KU isn’t the top dog after every teams performances the last 3 weeks but Self’s ability to exit the tournament earlier probably hurts them in the perception of betters.

• secrick
      1:35 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I do agree with some of what you said. Self does fizzle out in the trnt quite a bit.If Ky gets hot they can win along with several teams. Bam has to be a beast on the inside for us to win and i would like to see Gabriel concentrate more on rebounding than shooting the three. We need a big time rebounder to help Bam.

• Mathlete
      1:38 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Self’s ability to finish prematurely is matched only by Rick Pitino’s

• catsarerunnin
      1:47 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

That’s frustrating for Mrs. Self.

9. binarysolo
    1:37 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I just hope the players aren’t reading about the Vegas odds, along with where they are in the mock drafts.

10. TBW3011
    1:38 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

These are not predictions or based off any likely results. Has nothing to with buildings in Vegas being tall. The buildings are tall because of the “juice” on the losing bets. They practically can’t lose over time. These odds are based off the money coming in on teams, not on what Vegas thinks.

11. TBW3011
    1:42 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Odds have nothing to do with your actual chance. You get 5 to 1 on your money if you bet us. That doesn’t mean Vegas thinks we would win it all 1 out of 5 times. If I bet 10 million on Kentucky right now the “odds” on Kentucky would go to 1/9 in Vegas. That bet in know way increases our likelihood of winning though. If that all makes sense.

• secrick
      1:51 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Still don’t get where they come up with Ky 5-1 to win it all but don’t bother to explain because i probably still wouldn’t get it.

• Mathlete
      2:35 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

@Rick – Vegas moves the lines around based on how people are betting to get more people to bet on other teams, it’s the same reason point spreads move around (and were invented to begin with).

They’ll keep reducing the payout (5:1 odds = $5 won for every dollar you bet + your original money back) until people don’t think it’s worth their time to put money on Kentucky anymore

12. RedComet90
    1:56 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand how. I’m not a betting man, but still.

13. EdC
    4:00 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

This is super simple. The way Vegas betting lines work is that after the initial line EVERYTHING is based on the accountants offsetting the bets to guarantee the house makes its vig. If a lot of Kentucky fans bet on their team then their “odds” of winning look better so people will bet on other teams with worse “odds.” I put odds in quotes because it has nothing to do with actual odds. It is pure accounting.

14. satcheluk
    4:46 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

If I could short that I would. That is an overpriced bet.