Kentucky moves up to fifth in both polls

68814689

It’s a new week, and your University of Kentucky Wildcats moved up one spot to fifth in both the AP and Coaches Polls. Villanova reclaimed the top spot in the AP Poll after former number one Baylor lost at West Virginia, although Kansas actually got more first-place votes. Kansas did get the top spot in the Coaches Poll, followed by Villanova, UCLA, Gonzaga, and Kentucky.

Here are both polls for your viewing pleasure:

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 11.59.07 AM

16 Comments for Kentucky moves up to fifth in both polls

1. catsarerunnin
    1:02 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Yeah buddy!

2. Catsby80
    1:07 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Are we seriously going down the Gonzaga road again? How many times do they have to get a high ranking to only be an early exit in the tournament? Enough is enough.

• hal9944
      1:26 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Dude, they’ve beat South Dakota, Pepperdine, Pacific (at pacific), San Francisco (at San Francisco), loyola marymount, and saint marys in their last 6 games. If thats not a top 5 team in the country, idk what is! Bahahaha

• @GoCayts
      2:21 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know how real the Zags are, but this is not your fruffy headed, defensively challenged group of Dan Dickaus and Kyle Wheelchairs. Perkins is PG we recruited, now a junior. NWG was a McDs AA 4 years out of hs, but a junior because of a transfer. Mathews is a graduate transfer from Cal who’s pretty good. And Karnowski is a yuge man in the post and a 5th year guy. Also have a 5* freshman big guy.

Can’t wait to play Kansas.

• Catsby80
      4:21 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Big man, you can rattle off their players left and right. Until they make a final 4, I will not buy their stock. If you want to buy fools gold, be my guest.

3. RexRox
    1:56 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

And in the more predictive polls (and more important in my eyes), Cats and West Virginia have begun to separate themselves from the field. UK #1 IN Pomeroy with WVU #2 and the reverse in Sagarin.

• I admit I don’t want to see WVU in the tourney, but if we make a deep run it’ll probably be tough from round 3 on (and maybe earlier), regardless of the competition.

• Mathlete
      2:41 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

This would be a great year to avenge that 2010 Elite Eight loss to WVU that still hurts my soul to think about

• RexRox
      3:08 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Mathlete, think we already avenged that thing in 2015 (in a big way).

• What Rexrox said.

• Mathlete
      5:59 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Yes and no on the vengeance thing… We wrecked them in ’15, sure, but they upset what was probably one of the 5 greatest teams UK has ever had. This is *definitely* one of the 5 greatest teams they’ll ever have past, present, or future so beating them this year would even the score in my mind

• catsarerunnin
      6:01 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Yeah what he said only with more authority.

• EdC
      7:58 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Yep. The thing is that WVU’s strength of schedule is SO bad it is hard to figure out if they are real or not. The other thing is that the way they thrive is pressing. How do you think that would go against UK? They do still have big mouth Daxter who would also certainly try way to hard after the spanking he and the team got when he ran his mouth about us last time.

4. rainman
    2:31 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Personally I still think UCLA is the team to beat!
    Not sold on Villanova, or Kansas!

I LIKE MY TEAM! lol

5. Luether
    6:00 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Dook and the Cardinals will be in the final game this year…