Kentucky makes the cut for Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms

© Thomas J. Russo | USATSI

© Thomas J. Russo | USATSI

Kentucky landed one grad transfer yesterday in former Creighton guard Davion Mintz. How are their chances looking with Purdue big man Matt Haarms? The 7’3″ center narrowed his list to ten this morning, and the Cats made the cut, along with Arizona, Arkansas, Boston College, BYU, Gonzaga, Memphis, Minnesota, Texas Tech, and UNC Greensboro.

“Just going to take some time first and then think about how I’m going to handle this going forward,” Haarms told Evan Daniels. “Not going to drag it out though.”

Last season, Haarms averaged 8.6 points off 52.4% shooting, 4.6 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks per game, and the year before, 9.4 points and 5.4 boards per game. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, he can’t visit the colleges he’s interested in right now, but told Daniels he’s been in contact with each coach over the phone and many of them are planning to take him on a “virtual tour” of their campuses.

Let us know if we need to send any B-Roll of KSBar, Cal.

[247 Sports]

20 Comments for Kentucky makes the cut for Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms

1. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    9:04 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

A defensive minded guard and center transfer in the same year with what we have coming in would be a problem for a lot of teams.

2. Cokely53
    9:33 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

UNC Greensboro? You’d leave Purdue to go showcase your NBA skills at UNC Greensboro? I thought I wanted this guy but now I’m not so sure…

• Kyreds
      9:38 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

I agree UNC Who?Also Boston College, Memphis,BYU & even Minnesota !Those teams are really not ever on TV .My point is what scouts go watch their games??

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:46 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

No kidding. I had forgotten he had them listed until now, and that is a head scratcher for sure. Maybe he has family there or something, but yeah, one would think if he’s trying to improve his stock that’s not the school. You might as well go NAIA (not really, but…).

It’s also puzzling to me that he has 10 schools in basically mid-April, but to each his own.

• lexattorney
      10:12 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

He is 7’3” but SO skinny! I had to look twice to make sure I was seeing his arm correctly! No wonder he averaged less than 5 boards per game…any decent-sized 4 or 5 will just brush him aside!

• runningunnin.454
      12:19 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

Chris, I think his family is in the Netherlands.
      LexAtt, this is where the similarity ends; but, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was 7’2″ and 225 lb when he went to the NBA. He put on weight and matured in the league to 260 lb.

3. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    9:47 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, he is likely the best center option out there. And he will help us a lot. But he only started half the games for Purdue and average 20 minutes per game. And he was not projected to start next year. The kid is leaving Purdue because he wants more minutes and wants to start. He will help for sure, but the fact that he was not a full time starter and likely a bench player next year, should let everyone know he isn’t going to dominate, wherever he goes. He won’t be better than Richards, that is for sure. We probably will get him because we don’t have a center on the team next year.

• Alex90
      10:15 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

All UK would need him to do is contest shots and catch lobs. UK believes they have at least 2 stars next year so those players open up space that wasn’t there at Purdue. Funny how having star players makes others look good.

4. Wildfelinebeeline
    10:06 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s ours. You could argue for Gonzaga as they’ve had some success with bigs. But I think he’s an East coast guy. Maybe he threw that list together in an attempt to make it look like he put some thought into it. But I think he already knows what he’s doing given some of the options on this list.

• trumpetguy
      10:30 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Zags have had foreign players in the past, will have another good team next year, Mark Few apparently knows what he is doing…

5. Park
    10:14 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Grad transfer by definition is a kid who is continuing to play college because they aren’t good enough to be a professional. He will not be a superstar. He could be a serviceable center for us though. With Boston & Clarke we shouldn’t need scoring help. In 3 years at Purdue Haarms has never averaged less than 2.0 blocks per game in just a little over 20 mins per game. I wish he rebounded better but they say he has a high motor and does the little things like taking a charge. If Richards & Montgomery are both gone, I think we need him. Height and wingspan aren’t common either. Again, not superstar but could fill a void for us.

6. VirginiaCat
    10:59 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

I would not be surprised if he picks a second tier school where he would be a starter and play maximum minutes. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than play at a top school and spend a fair amount of time on the bench. He would be a good fit for us – rim protector – but probably not a great fit for him. He is looking for minutes and exposure in order to build stats and attract NBA attention. Trading Kentucky for Purdue wouldn’t improve his situation substantially. He was a role player at Purdue and would be the same at UK.

7. BobbyBlue
    11:45 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Can’t count out “bullet proof “,Sean Miller at Arizona. He is still is recruiting like it’s business as usual.
    I’m sure he still has lots to offer !

8. UKFanSC
    11:51 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

If he comes he comes, would love to have him, but as Cal has said many times he only wants players who WANT to be at Kentucky. We’d be doing as much for him as he would for us believe me…… and he is hopefully intelligent enough to see that. His visibility, brand, skill set, strength, conditioning, diet, and “off the court” training ( speech, media, community, etc) would benefit greatly. I believe more so than any other school he is considering. But if thinks Cal and KP will allow him to shoot 24 foot jumpers all year he’ll soon be disabused.

9. TonyMontana
    12:10 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

Honestly, I dont care for grad transfers announcing their lists. I dont get it. Like when Juzang announced his top 5. Just announce what school you’re going to! What’s the point of dragging it out?

10. T-Town Cat
    1:47 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

Alabama got a commitment from the 3rd ranked Grad transfer, a 6’9” post player from Yale. 1st Team Ivy League. Averaged a double double. I I wonder if UK talked to him.

11. ChetSteadmansSalisburySteak
    2:28 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

Jared Carter?…..

12. Dee
    3:22 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

For his pro development he would be smart to come here. However I see him “fitting “ in better with BC. Tall skinny white guys usually don’t fit with coach Kenny Payne

13. Cletis75
    5:14 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

Guys? Have we had more than Wiltjer?

• catdaddyd