Kentucky listed as No. 17 overall seed in official NCAA Tournament Seed List

Good news: Kentucky was listed as the top five-seed, considered the No. 17 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Bad news: they may have to go through (in order) No. 48, No. 16, No. 1, and No. 8 to get out of the South region.

Arizona was seen as a shocking four-seed when the brackets were announced, but the NCAA actually had them as the WORST four-seed of them all.

For comparison sake, Clemson, the second-worst five-seed, got a draw of New Mexico State, Auburn, and Kansas as the highest-possible opponents in their bracket.

Check out the entire list of teams:

I wish I could say I understood the NCAA’s thought process, but at this point, that’s too much to ask.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

28 Comments for Kentucky listed as No. 17 overall seed in official NCAA Tournament Seed List

1. peaches76
    7:41 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Ask Mitch Barnhart.

2. unbridled
    7:42 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Completely stupid. Oh well. Let’s start the games. I like my team. NOBODY wants to play UK right now. NO ONE!!

3. humboldt24
    7:46 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know any Cats fans who are happy to potentially face Arizona in the second round, but let’s at least be reasonable in our angst. Saying things like:

“Oh, and despite the Cats knocking them out in the SEC Championship, Tennessee was listed as the No. 10 overall seed.”

Yes, we beat them today, but they beat us twice already (including on our home floor) and they beat Purdue on a neutral court. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/ even had them as the #9 overall seed so it’s not that surprising. For the record, we were even ranked #18 in their compilation, so maybe we shouldn’t be complaining too much about being screwed by the committee.

Instead let’s focus on taking Davidson and continuing the positive trend we’re on. Go Cats

• Optional Facts
      7:53 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Agree… honestly I’ll take our draw against the Duke draw. Arizona will be a test but if we can get past them I like a match up with Virginia. I think we have guards to distribute and break down their defense.

• dballrb
      12:54 pm March 12, 2018 Permalink

Duke finally got screwed!!..lol..

4. kybred1
    7:48 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

My only question is UNC is 25-10 and UK is 24-10. And we won our conference tournament! They are not that much better than Big Blue!!

• TonyMontana
      8:07 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

North Carolina has 6 wins vs. Top 25 teams. Kentucky has 0.

• KayutsBy90
      8:12 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

That’s blatantly wrong. We beats WVU, A&M and Tennessee. All ranked in the top 25 seeds.

• VinDatuk
      8:12 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Except at WVU and UT. UK didn’t lose at home to Wofford.

5. Rise
    7:48 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Isn’t Mitch Barnart on the selection committee? Can he not say something on the screw job? Oklahoma getting in is a joke. NCAA needed that extra money with Trae Young playing.

6. maximumscott
    7:49 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

UK playing this type of ball is the team everyoneis afraid of. The 1 question to ask is has this team reached their ceiling? I say no, but they are getting close and clicking. We get Vando back and we beat davidson easily and put Zona out by at least 10 points.

7. IAmTheDanger
    7:50 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Are you ready for some more NCAA garbage? Texas Tech is 24-9 and 2-5 in their last 7 games and guess what? They are a 3 seed. NCAA is a joke and a sham….what a bunch of BS.

8. ScratchtheMascot
    7:56 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

I’m less upset by the 5 seed than I am UNC getting a 2. Love to hear that explanation.

9. jaws2
    7:58 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

How the hell can Syracuse be 44th and have a play in game? This seeding is ridiculous!

10. Catcasey1
    8:01 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Mitch has no balls

11. Memphis UK Cat
    8:04 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Bottom line is we needed to win more games. Right now we are rolling and I think we can make a final four run.

12. UKWillGetNine
    8:05 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

I’m more upset that Tennessee is in are bracket. I can’t handle playing them again for the 4th time.

13. 4everUKblue
    8:17 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Gained much respect for Admiral Schoefield after reading this quote from him.

“Kentucky is the standard in this league and across the country, really,” the versatile All-SEC player said. “If you want to be the best, you have to beat Kentucky. I can’t think of a better team to play for the SEC (Tournament) championship. I mean that with respect.”

14. Smyrna_Cat
    8:19 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Jack, do you actually watch basketball … or know anything about the game?

Tenn. SHOULD be a 3 seed … and do you think AZ is looking forward to playing us? I bet they are crying, too.

15. humboldt24
    8:21 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Can we please stop complaining about this? Yes Arizona has some talented players, but they are the lowest ranked #4 seed by both Kenpom and ESPN BPI. In both rankings we’re nearly tied with them and both teams are peaking right now. If we wanted a better draw, we shouldn’t have lost to UCLA, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee (@home) and Florida (@home). With our resume, we were always going to have a tough route to the championship. Now let’s worry about all that we can control, and that’s preparing for Davidson (who actually are a really good team. The highest ranked 12 seed by a mile in both the aforementioned rankings).

16. Chacosrule
    8:21 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

There are 3 or 4 teams with the firepower to beat duke. 3 of them are in our bracket. The other is unc.

17. dballrb
    8:25 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

Where’s Rembrandt??Maybe he/she could paint a better mental picture than the obvious one in front of us??

18. UKfanman01
    8:58 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

UK 10 loss season = 5 seed
    UNCheaters 10 loss season = 1st place # 2 seed

19. Clyde X
    9:26 pm March 11, 2018 Permalink

You “…wish (you) could say (you) understood the NCAA’s thought process…”. Let me help you out. Their thought process is “How can we screw UK this year?” That is the only possible explanation. An occasional ridiculous bracket would be one thing. An annual ridiculous bracket has to be intentional. All I can say is, thanks Mitch.

20. makeitstop
    1:41 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I’d trade w any other 5 seed. But it is what it is, we need to get past a damn good Davidson team, and we need Vando back!