Kentucky is back in the Top 10

Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

With road wins over Georgia and Auburn, Kentucky is back among the top ten in the Associated Press college basketball poll. The AP ranked Kentucky eighth overall this week, up four spots from No. 12.

Tennessee is the No. 1 overall team for the first time in 11 years after collecting 48 of the 64 first-place votes. Kentucky’s next two challengers, Mississippi State and Kansas, are ranked No. 22 and No. 9, respectively.

Rank Team Points PV Rank

24 Iowa State 156

25 LSU 154

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Kentucky is back in the Top 10

1. mikeintn
    12:30 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Sounds good, keep it going CATS. go get MS and KAN.

2. a21CATSfan
    12:34 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I would’ve hated to see dUKe lose a 2nd straight game at home. They would’ve slid all the way to 3rd, if that would have happened. CATS

• JASUN74
      3:24 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Lol. No doubt. Haha. Seriously, I would almost bet they wouldn’t drop past Five!! ES-Duke-PN would’ve went on and on about it being because of the injury and as soon as he steps on the floor they’ll automatically be back to 1. Lol. I’ve never seen anything like the Duck suck feast the last few years. Yes I meant to say Duck. Lol. I don’t know why but I did it anyway. Haha. Thanks buddy

3. Headhurts
    12:39 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Damn coach Cal, this freshman thing just isn’t working ……grin giggle.

• BigolBlue
      1:58 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Well he does only have 1 title and a million nba guys playing college. Not ssying just saying

• Wade
      2:15 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

We had stretches of 20 years twice we didn’t win but one. I like our pace so far!

• bigbluebanana
      2:19 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

And only two coaches have more in the same amount of time, one of those coaches, and this is a direct quote from you bigolblue “is and has been killing Cal in recruiting and getting the better players”. So, a guy who you yourself said gets more talent than Cal only has one more title? And the other guy? He won twice with rosters full of junior and senior leadership. Kids leaving early isn’t just happening at Kentucky broseph, they leave early everywhere. Look at Tennessee this year and how they e developed upperclassmen, that’s a HUGE rarity. I don’t even think you believe your own BS because your arguments literally contradict themselves. If Cal does it, you b1tch, if someone else does the same thing, you use that as an argument against Cal? Explain that logic please! How something only works when it fits your personal narrative.

• beastmodekp
      2:02 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

And how many have 0 titles and either NBA players or graduating players? It’s not easy. One bad game — and it’s all over.

• BigolBlue
      2:35 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

The same nonsense is why Cal gets a pass. Everyone knows besides the homer fans that Cals success or lack of as far as titles is underwhelming. You guys are why Cal could coach another 10+ years with 0 titles and he will get a pass.

• bigbluebanana
      4:34 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

My dogs drop more knowledge in tightly coiled piles in my back yard than you have in your entire body bigolblue. There are literally only two coaches with more titles than Cal during his UK tenure and ZERO coaches with more elite 8’s and final fours, and neither of those coaches will ever even remotely consider UK. Cal could get fired tomorrow and Jay Wright ain’t walking through that door. I have zero idea of what you expect, none! People like you are the reason Cal might walk away voluntarily and we go back to obscurity, like we were before he got here…kinda like Indiana or UCLA now…why on earth do you want that? My only logical answer is that you’re just a miserable troll who loves Louisville or something.

• BigolBlue
      5:41 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I dont need articles guys. Once i see its over twitter characters allowed I dont read. Keep taking jabs and deepthroating cal

• beastmodekp
      3:52 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

And people like BigolBlue is why UK fans are considered “over the top”. Yes, we should have more titles (Even Cal would admit that). However — some of those Final Fours shouldn’t have happened either. Knight and they had no business beating an experienced OSU and UNC team. It happens man. Just like Duke shouldn’t have lost to Lehigh, Mercer, etc. Answer me this, Bigolblue — who would you like as the next head coach? Then, please consider resume’s please and thank you.

• beastmodekp
      3:55 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

If Cal goes another 10 years without a Title, he would not get a pass. But, It’d be extremely hard to fire the guy though, which is different than a “pass” imo. Unless of course, they completely fall off earth and go to multiple NITs in the next 10 years.

• JASUN74
      3:58 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

BigolBlue, I bet you got as many pimples on your ass and no one to pop them, than he has NBA players, so there!! Why don’t you rename yourself BigolBitch?? You should!! It would definitely be appropriate and true.

Honest question for you. Did you get bullied a lot a couple years ago when you were in elementary school?

Listen little buddy, it does get better when you get older. Seriously!! I want to give you some real advice here to help you out!
      First of all, Instead of telling the teacher every time one of those kids picks on you, stand up for yourself!! You punch one of those kids in the nose and I bet they’ll leave your little ass alone.
      Secondly, you should quit doing everyone else’s homework!! Once you get over to the big school, you don’t want to keep doing that because they’ll never let you stop.
      And lastly, maybe try some acne cream and washing your face really well before your bedtime. It’s very important for you to get some confidence in yourself if you ever want to someday kiss a girl, or even have a real girlfriend that isn’t your pillow!!

I know you’re probably not thinking of this stuff yet but trust me, it will be here in no time and you need to be prepared. Just remember, we’re all here for you if you have questions on being a grown up and we’ll be happy to help you. You’re not alone, and even though I can tell you’re miserable, please try to talk to someone before letting this get any worse.

I know you probably didn’t haft to go to school today, but try to make some friends tomorrow and a good way to start could be just saying hi to someone, or try being nice and put on a fake smile. You can fake it at first and eventually it may turn into a habit.

Anyway, telling your classmates, “your dad can beat up their dad”, probably isn’t going to work much longer, and you’re going to haft to learn how to fit in or you’re going to have a rough time and probably continue getting beat up at school everyday.

I sure hope this has helped you out and if you need anything just holler. If I’m not here, I’m sure some of the great guys and gals will be glad to answer your question. Also just keep in mind that the people here are actually ADULTS, and you need to talk different than you would at school. Thanks little buddy and try to make tomorrow the first day of a fresh start for yourself.

• BigolBlue
      5:42 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Atleast my daddy didnt name me Jasun with a u??? Who was the one who got bullied? I bet you got clowned on hard for that

• JASUN74
      6:02 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Yeah of course My name is really Jasun, just like yours is BigolBlue. Lol. I would say school kids, especially the ladies would think that’s a cool name. Haha. BigolBlue my daddy would’ve probably been drunk as shit when the naming part came around so I doubt he had much to do with it. Lmao. I swear my name isn’t Jasun, but I thought that be a cool name if I have another son! You really don’t think it would be a good cool name for a kid? Seriously? Too gay as the kids might say? Lol. I think it’s pretty good.

Anyway, I know, you know I just like to mess with you. I hope so anyway. It’s all in fun from this end and I don’t want to make anyone really mad or nothing, because life’s too short. You seem to let it roll off of you pretty good I guess. Lol. Honestly, I think you’re a good guy that loves the cats, but you’ve just flat out made up your mind that you’re never going to sugar coat it and not going to let yourself get too invested because you don’t want the disappointment that comes with it if we happen to fail. Failure is just part of it sometimes for everyone though and we all deal with it differently.

I do wish you wouldn’t be so negative about them after some good happens, but I will say you’re consistent. Haha. Are you just so deep in now, trying to be the bad guy and hated by everyone, that you can’t even be a little happy because people may think you’re getting soft or something?

Anyway, I guess I’m the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter, but there are some great fans here and they just want a break from the real world, just for a minute. They come here, (me included) to read about the Cats, and all those kids that play their hearts out, but every single day on almost every post , there’s you!!!, being negative and trying to bring everyone down. I know you can’t believe half the stuff you write because i know you’re somewhat intelligent, but all this site is anymore is about you. I honestly do hope things aren’t that bad for you and you’re doing good in life and are a happy person. The truth is, even though you’re an ass sometimes, just to get your kicks from people, almost everyone here still likes you. Well I do anyway. Lol.

I was just going to erase this, but I’ve took the time to write it out so I’ll just hit send. You have a good one buddy, and I hope maybe one of these days, those kids will make you happy and not be such a disappointment to you. Most of them are only 17-20 years old.

You know BigolBlue, I do know there are people in this world who just want to be different than everyone else, just because it makes them stand out I guess. It’s possible that you’re just one of the guys that work for KSR to get clicks! If so, that’s cool I guess! Your world and all that, but probably more like, just a lonesome guy. That’s all I got for you for now but I’ll be back right after these messages! Lol. Are you taking all your Meds everyday that you’re supposed to be taking? Haha. Seriously, you have a good one man.

4. lexcatfan2367
    12:40 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I love this team. Go Cats!!!

5. Smyrna_Cat
    12:48 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

That sounds about right!

6. VirginiaCat
    12:48 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Tennessee at #1 is questionable, in my opinion. Don’t burn me at the stake, but I think that Duke is the best team in the country and will be very hard to beat in the tournament. Our ceiling will depend on consistent play from PJ and Richards. If those two play well, we could make a very deep run. If not, we will start early with the “who is staying and who is going” routine.

• IrishCat
      1:27 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t disagree. My head tells me Dook is still the best overall team, but the Vols have the resume and deserve the top rank right now. Dook is absolutely beatable, but I do agree w/ Matt that it’s a tough matchup for us personnel wise. Hopefully they pull a Dook and get knocked out in the round of 32.

• maximumscott
      1:51 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

The problem with Duke right now is obvious. Missing tre jones hurts. To win Barret and Zion must score combined 50plus points a game bc their role players just cant cut it.
      Yes, they have the #1 and 2 overall Picks, but they are 1-dimensional without tre jones. They will adapt to win without him, but what happens when he comes back? They’ll have to readjust their scheme again just before March.

Reddish has taken a backseat and his ego is shot. If Barret or Zion have an off night Duke is losing. Hell, even with them both going off they still only score 72 points… that wont be enough come tourny time.
      Duke played its best TEAM game against UK. They have not looked that good since then, actually they look more beatable. Meanwhile UK looks completely different and is getting better with multiple players doing well.

UK can win without Johnson scoring.
      Can Duke win without Barrett or Zion scoring?

Dont think so…

• BigolBlue
      1:58 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I think Virginia is better. Barely lost to them on the road. They are the best team imo in the country.

• bigbluebanana
      2:23 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

UMBC disagrees. UVA will lose at least 3 more games this year, dook will lose at least 2 more, Tennessee May only lose 1 or 2 more. UK is just right behind those teams right now, and come March, it’s anyone’s guess…all it takes is one bad night for a team to go out.

• BigolBlue
      5:43 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Thanks matt I mean Banana. I swear you mock everything he says. Its like your him

• BigolBlue
      5:44 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Right behind them? Sheesh

• Rixter
      3:25 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I like Tennessee at # 1. let’s see how the hunters do now as the hunted.

7. KYjellyRoll
    12:59 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m telling you these guys not only have talent but they’ve got the heart to go with it. This will be fun. Go Cats

8. dave1964
    1:02 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

PJ Washington is killing this team on defense. The reason our 3pt defense is so bad he sags of his mad so much. Will need Richards to step up and be more productive before this team make a big leap.

• Truth_Hurts
      1:34 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Dave I think you meant to post this in December? Defense overall is much improved.

9. Aar
    1:34 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

After the game on Saturday, I thought they would get the No. 8 ranking.

Now for some snark. Do ya think the the KU @ UK game being on ESPN College Game Day factored into the 8/9 rankings? Winner climbs, loser falls hard.

10. Wade
    2:04 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

How is nc still in here this high and look at those sec schools will ya! Best conference for football and basketball and just about everything else that’s a real sport! Go cats!

• runningunnin.454
      2:12 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, blown out at home by UL, beat ND and Miami and they rise in the ranks; oh well, looks good for us.
      I watched Nevada play Air Force over the weekend; I think they scored like 18 points in the first half…over rated.

• IrishCat
      8:52 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s what I say running.. UNC definitely shouldn’t be that high, but I’m fine w/ it only b/c we beat them handily and will do it again if we meet them in March.

11. Racerr11
    2:04 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Bigoleblue dummy, Cal has more final fours, more final 8 than any coach during his time at UK. Great coach, great developer.

12. Racerr11
    2:11 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Great job Cats keep improving like always, going in the right direction at the right time like always.