Kentucky is back in the Champions Classic through 2022

One day before Kentucky meets Duke in the 2018 Champions Classic, the program announced it has renewed its contract with the Champions Classic and will continue to play in the event through the 2022 season.

“The Champions Classic has been the gold standard for college basketball’s regular-season events for the last seven years, but I love what we’re doing to use it to tip off the basketball season,” John Calipari said in the release. “What better thing for our sport than to begin the year with four of the most successful programs in college basketball.”

The Cats will get Michigan State in New York in 2019, Kansas in Chicago in 2020, Duke in New York in 2021 and Michigan State in Indianapolis in 2022.

UK and Duke are tied with 4-3 records in the Champions Classic while Kansas and Michigan State are at 3-4.

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Kentucky is back in the Champions Classic through 2022

1. madarchitect
    11:46 am November 5, 2018 Permalink

Being it back to Catlanta!!

• serdi
      11:56 am November 5, 2018 Permalink

Hope they do not renew the December classic with Ohio State, UCLA, and the Cheats. No problem playing Ohio State and UCLA, just do not feel we should be in competition with cheats.

• Shively1978
      2:13 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

1. Kentucky has never been irrelevant. I don’t care who is coaching or who’s playing it’s Kentucky. Cal calls it everybody’s superbowl for a reason. 5 different coaches have one titles. And I’m sure there will be more after Cal. I have no problem playing Duke and Kansas but to call it a champions classic and include Michigan state is a joke. They are not some prestigious historic program. Indiana had better history even though they suck now. UCLA even.

• 4everUKblue
      3:14 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

I love Kentucky too but when I say irrelevant, I mean from 98′ to 09′ we never made it to the final 4. Being everyone’s Super Bowl does not make us relevant if we go 10 yrs without getting to the final four, take UConn for instance, they’ve won more NC than we have in the last several years, but where are they now? Do you think they’re relevant? Also Indiana was relevant every year while Bobby was coach and they have 5 national titles but where are they? Relevant to me means you are in the hunt year in and year out, I don’t believe you’re relevant if you’re going 10 yrs without making it to the final 4. We were not up to Kentucky standards during those 10 years, at least not the standards I became accustomed to. Maybe some fans liked Tubby ball, I did not and I found it boring, and don’t even get me started on BCG.

• 4everUKblue
      3:17 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

Like it or not, Tubby won with Pitino’s recruits, he was a good coach but could not recruit and that’s the reason he never got back to the final 4 after Pitino’s recruits left. After watching Pitino ball, Tubby ball was boring as hell imo.

2. madarchitect
    11:46 am November 5, 2018 Permalink

Ugh. Bring…

3. KYFAN4LYFE
    11:57 am November 5, 2018 Permalink

I’d like to be excited, but we have no idea what our team will look like next year, let alone 2, 3, or 4 years from now.

• UKCatAttack
      12:01 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah but you are a UK fan 4 life so it shouldn’t matter. We are goin to be UK and playing Duke Kansas and Michigan St will always be fun.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      12:54 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

My point is that these games are only “big” if the talent matches up to the hype. If you’d have told me 3-4 years ago that UK football would be playing Georgia at home on November 3rd, 2018, I would have had no reason to be excited about that game, like I was just days prior to that game.

Plus, Coach K will be in his mid-70s by 2020, and who knows if he’ll even be able to sustain his recruiting and success that much longer. Duke is only Duke as long as K is there, and keeping them relevant….which actually makes me happy that he’s getting closer and closer to kicking it, LOL.

• Booby Petrino
      1:10 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

I can’t remember one season that Cal has been here that hasn’t been exciting. Why would I expect less in the future?

• Booby Petrino
      1:11 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

I mean some are clearly more exciting that others, but it always starts out exciting. Even 2013 was exciting at the start…it just tanked.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:54 am November 6, 2018 Permalink

Hey KYFAN4LYFE, don’t forget that an asteroid could hit the earth in two years and kill us all. Try not to get too excited about anything.

4. clint w.
    12:03 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

I think this is a good sign Cal stays through those years. We want to be relevant in this tourney and Cal is what keeps us relevant.

• runningunnin.454
      12:29 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

How long is Nosferatu going to coach at Puke? Gawd, look at that picture…what a sourpuss.

• Cokely53
      1:15 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure the name Kentucky is what keeps us relevant Clint. We won 7 titles before Cal and we will win more after he leaves. Sure he is incredible but we will find someone to replace him and have first pick at it.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:22 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

Cokely, yes we won 7 before Cal came, but after 98′ we started to become less relevant and during BCG years we were totally irrelevant so I agree with clint. He said Cal keeps up relevant.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:25 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

In other words, he didn’t say Cal makes us relevant, he said Cal KEEPS us relevant, and with that I agree.

• 4everUKblue
      3:46 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

I prefer to keep it in the present and as I remember it, after 98′ we never made it to the final 4 again until 2009. After Tubby left, if I’m not mistaken, we went after a few big name coaches and none were interested and we wound up with Billy Clyde and the name Kentucky didn’t mean so much then and we did not have first pick. I hope we keep Cal for another 10 years because he has kept us relevant since he got here.

• RAGE
      5:57 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

You are Right… Tubby was allowed to stay about 3 or 4 years to many… Billy Clyde inherited a mess and was no coach to turn it around… Barnhard should have been fired for not hiring Cal the minute Tubby got on that plane… at least he got it right the second time around….

• friendsofcoal
      10:27 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

Thank the good Lord that Barnhart didn’t get fired!! He’s the man and the best AD in the country right now.

• Cokely53
      10:00 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

But you’re proving my point. The reason we can get a coach like Cal is because we are Kentucky. If we were irrelevant then we don’t pull off that home run hire. You think he comes if we weren’t? We may be down after Cal but we will find another

• 4everUKblue
      11:19 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

We became irrelevant after 89′ until 09′, yes we got Cal because we are KY but we did not get first pick, as I said, we offered several coaches and Cal was not one of them so we wound up with Gillespie. I remember a dUKe fan saying years ago that we UK hadn’t been relevant since google was invented and at the time he was right. Some coaches want no part of this program for whatever reason, Cal was the exception and perfect for the job. Tubby was pretty much grandfathered in by Pitino when he left and like it or not, he never got us to the final 4 with his own recruits.

• Shively1978
      2:22 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

Irrelevant from 89-09 really so the two titles and three straight final fours from 96-98 are irrelevant

• 4everUKblue
      11:24 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

And btw, Memphis got Cal and I’m pretty sure they didn’t get him because their name was Memphis. Cal was perfect for the job, but we didn’t know that at the time. A lot of people didn’t really want him because of how the NCAA had tarnished his reputation, and that is exactly what they did….with no proof or direct connection to anything.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      2:26 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

Sorry my bad I meant 98′ to 09′, I just reversed the numbers. If you had read my earlier comment Shively you would see it was an honest mistake, Tubby never got us to the final 4 after 98′, so YES irrelevant until Cal got here!

• Shively1978
      5:14 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

Yes honest mistake but I don’t think we where ever irrelevant. We weren’t up to Kentucky standards but when teams played us especially in rupp it was a big game for them. My point is this Kentucky is the most prestigious basketball school in history and have been for many years and will be when Cal’s gone. A team like Duke hasn’t proved they can win without Coach K. So until they do Coach K is Duke.

5. Iamheasyouarehe
    1:43 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

Amazing Count K has no gray hair and says he doesn’t color it….trying to keep from busting out laughing.

6. BigolBlue
    11:15 pm November 5, 2018 Permalink

If anyone wants to make good money take Duke at +3. Easy money

7. JohnnyCheeseSticks
    8:38 am November 6, 2018 Permalink

Have they fired Eddie Gran yet?

8. Cat68
    2:14 pm November 6, 2018 Permalink

Who is calling the game tonight?