Kentucky is a 4.5 point favorite over Duke

Las Vegas has its line for tomorrow night’s game and your University of Kentucky Wildcats finds itself as a 4.5 point favorite over the Blue Devils from Duke University.

That game will be coming to you live from the United Center in Chicago as part of this year’s Champions Classic. ESPN will carry the 7:30 ET tip.

What do we think about that opening spread?

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Kentucky is a 4.5 point favorite over Duke

1. Stives
    1:54 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Believe Duke wins this game. Not there yet on defense. Different result if played later in season.

• Sublem
      3:39 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I don’t understand half this fanbase. Where is the pride? Where is the confidence? Wanna talk about lack of defense, and yet Duke let their opponents score 70+ points in both games.

• 54Meeks
      3:57 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

You are a fool. Stives is making a prediction based on his opinion and what he’s seen from both teams. Duke was playing walk-ons/3rd stringers for over half of the 2nd half in both games.This has nothing to do with pride. If all you want is pride and no rationality go watch the football team go sub .500 season after season with the rest of the hopeless homers.

• bennyd113
      4:33 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Walk-ons and 3rd stringers??? Must have missed that when I was watching because I didnt see that and didnt see graysen allen score 25 points in the first half!!!

You do realize that plumlee is their center right? Not a good plumlee either, hes just in there for a big body.

• bennyd113
      4:37 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

54Meeks – there are 7 players for duke in the bryant game that had 22+ minutes. I think you are a duke fan in disguise with that comment, trying to fool everyone saying duke was playing their bench a lot!!! GTFO

• 8 god
      8:19 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Duke has no bench lol

2. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:04 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Gotta love the opening line. Anything over 3 in CBB (at a neutral site) is a sign that Vegas thinks one team has the clear edge.

• Megan
      6:12 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Arg. Vegas does think one team has an edge. Vegas doesn’t care who wins. It simply wants to balance out the betting pools and walk away with its vig.

The spread is not a prediction. It’s an indication of what the betting public is doing. Here, it looks like more money has been placed on Kentucky. So Vegas is enticing people to place more money on Duke by giving them a handful of points to sweeten the deal. Again, not a prediction. Vegas doesn’t gamble. It makes money off people who do.

3. deltasig41
    2:07 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t watched one second of Duke basketball thus far this season, but I do know we matchup pretty evenly with them. Defensively I don’t know if we’re where we need to be, but I think we can score with anyone. When we played them 3 years ago, Duke was far better than we were and still barely pulled out the win. I think this will be a close game and really could go either way, but…Ultimately I think Kentucky wins.

4. deltasig41
    2:08 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Because we’ve played two superior teams to the schedule Duke has played so far. I think that gives us the edge.

5. ClutchCargo
    2:33 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I’m not as confident about our ability to score as others seem to be. Mainly because I’m not sure if we are ready for the multitude of flops/terrible calls we are certain to see.

6. @BallBlog_Chad
    2:45 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

could really come down to refs … are they gonna call the touch fouls? flopping is supposed to be a technical this year I think. we’re deeper, are we gonna run ’em? their freshman pg, Thornton, has not really been playing much so far. is Derek Trillis gonna keep drilling errrything?

• ClutchCargo
      4:17 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Problem is, if I read the new rule correctly, is that a flop is allowed to be assessed if it is spotted while reviewing for a flagrant foul. Can you imagine a situation where someone flops but hits someone in such a way that it is reviewed to see if it was flagrant? That’s just idiotic.

7. chadtrill
    2:55 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I have no idea what is going to happen in this game and neither do any of you, HAHA! The 4.5 points reflects Cal’s experience with young players and how well our fans travel to the champion’s classic. As far as what any of our players do it’s really anyone’s guess. I’ll guess that if Skal and Jamal both shoot the ball well and we limit our defensive breakdowns that we could cover very easily.

8. KevinM
    3:16 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Have confidence in Cal and how he’s handling the guys this early. This is a good test early on, and I expect the Cats to match Duke step for step.
    Does Duke have someone to stop Murray and Skal? Have they ever been known as a defensive team?

They’re going to need the refs to help them.

• ClutchCargo
      4:20 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I hear they have a few guys who excel at slapping the floor. Ha!

• TJY
      4:29 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

IMO they were great at D back in the 90s. Coach K is having trouble getting his one and done’s to buy into Defense, see the last two years for examples. The reason Okafor wasn’t number one was because he wasn’t made/taught to play defense…and he shoots free throws like DeAndre Jordan.

9. WatchinginCali
    3:19 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Duke by 9. Too much outside shooting for the (current state) perimeter defense. Skal is good, not great. Jamal is bad early, strong late. AP is a no-show and Lee in foul trouble, so we lose the rebounding battle. I think this team will take awhile to come together. Will be strong late in the year.

10. 54Meeks
    3:33 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

How the Cats win:
    Guards hit open perimeter shots/Contain Brandon Ingram. Skal stays out of foul trouble. Bench (Poythress, Willis, Matthews) plays very well.
    How the Cats lose:
    No answer on defense for Brandon Ingram. Lots of fouls are called but Duke has deeper/more talented bench. Skal/Lee get in early foul trouble which leaves no one to protect the rim and Humphries will struggle trying to guard Duke in pick and rolls.

Duke 77- Cats 68

• wyatts1
      9:55 pm November 17, 2015 Permalink

Lmfao, guess again!! How about haveing some faith in your team instead of predicting our rival to beat us. Anybody who could say duke will beat kentucky, given the history is truly not a real uk fan at all or those words would have never been typed! Go big blue

11. plumloopy
    3:35 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Would be interesting to do a poll over team most hated to lose to and compare that to age.

12. BTownUKFan
    3:52 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I like Vegas experts’ record on picking the spread and I like their confidence in Kentucky. Coach Rat face did OK last year with his freshman but historically he does not develop them quickly. I think our big men run their big men into the ground and they run out of gas in the last 5 minutes. Kentucky by 3.

13. bennyd113
    3:59 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I hate Duke soooo much. This game means a lot whether people like to admit it or not. The ”GOD” of recruiting is now Coach K for some reason and its now OK to go get one and dones now that he is doing it. Makes me sick to read articles about it.

Ullis will need to guard Graysen “sunshine” Allen and that will frustrate him!!

Kentucky guards are better at driving and with the fouls that have been called that is an edge to UK. Expect Murray to go off and Cats win by double digits as Cal would LOVE to run the score up if he can!!!

14. TJY
    4:26 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I am not happy with our defense but I’m very happy with our offense. That being said, Coach K has had issues getting his one and done’s to buy in to defense, last year Duke didn’t play defense until maybe March, so I give our offense the nod over Duke’s D.

Jamal Murray will not go 1 for 10 from 3 Tuesday night. Give me the CATS minus the points. Oh and I have a feeling Cal may unleash Alex.

Go CATS!

15. Long Dong Silver
    4:57 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

Personally, this early in the season and on a neutral floor…I would have it as pick ’em. I really have no idea what to expect tomorrow night.

16. jtrue28
    5:42 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

What was the spread last year for the Kansas game?

17. Megan
    6:16 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

The outcome will color everyone’s view of these teams for some time to come.

18. wyatts1
    10:14 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

It bothers me when fans for uk actually says out loud that a rival in every aspect of the word (not being in conference) duke aka puke has a chance against our wildcats! We have a much better and exp bench for starters. Secondly we have the best floor general that Cal has ever coached! Have the few bandwagoners thats rooting for duke actually seen us play this year lol? Our floor general has a abundant amount of talent around him at all times, Canada basketball star Jamal Murray, the emergence of Willis after playing with the “best” for the last few years! Plus dont sleep on a possible future #1 draft pick skai something lol and the stick of dynamite named Alex!!
    Now how is duke gonna beat us again?? NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!! Go big blue!😎