Kentucky holding steady as a 2-seed in latest bracketology

Just think, in a week and a half, we won’t have to post Bracketology updates anymore! Until then, we’ll keep bringing you the latest updates from Joe Lunardi and his bracket pals. This morning’s update has Kentucky as the 2-seed in the South Region (Memphis), which also includes North Carolina (1), Arizona (3), and West Virginia (4):

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.11.25 AM

A few weeks ago, we were convinced Kentucky would be a three-seed, but the rest of college basketball seems determined to fall on its face, so not only is Kentucky now one of the higher two-seeds, there’s a slim chance they could get a one-seed. Ridiculous.

Currently, Lunardi only has four SEC teams in: Kentucky (2), Florida (4), South Carolina (8), and Arkansas (10). As I predicted this morning, Tennessee is now off the bubble, replaced by Vanderbilt, who’s the first team out. Georgia’s also in contention as the fifth team out.

Check out the rest of Lunardi’s projections here.

12 Comments for Kentucky holding steady as a 2-seed in latest bracketology

1. maximumscott
    10:40 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Im not sure how I feel about this bracket. I dont like seeing UNC or WVU. Arizona is not bad but I cant tell how good they are bc they were beat by 30 by Oregon and beat UCLA at UCLA. Other than that they dont really have eye popping wins. Decent pieces of a team. I mean any bracket is going to have good teams. The most important thing is location so the fans can follow and make it feel like home. Isnt the worst bracket but lets hope it gets better.

• Mathlete
      12:58 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

WVU is only as dangerous in any particular game as their press. We’re so quick at moving the ball down the court they’d be down 20 at halftime so I wouldn’t sweat them. Plus we’d either have to play WVU or UNC but not both in this scenario.

Out of that bracket I’d be more concerned about Iowa State than WVU, they’ve been giant killers this year holding wins over Baylor and Kansas (in Lawrence!) and scared both again in their other head-to-head matchups. They would at least scare Arizona straight if they didn’t beat them outright.

• maximumscott
      1:03 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Yea, Iowa State scares me as a team that could surprise and end someones tourny run.

• 2Dogs
      1:10 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I have a hard time believing we’d be up by 20 against WV at any point. With our recent starts I could see us down 20 at halftime.

• Mathlete
      3:19 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

@2Dogs – that’s probably true, hopefully we get over these slow starts but it’s kind of working out in our favor lately. It seems like opponents are burning it up, but really they’re working hard for most of those points and they fall apart late from tired legs in the last couple of games. Think about how long Vandy went on a scoring drought in the second half, and Florida went through the same thing.

Defense wins championships because offense stops working well when you’re tired. Defense doesn’t have to be perfect (and won’t be – opponents will eventually hit shots), offense requires much more accuracy for anything further than 5 feet out than defense does

2. bdmnky81
    10:59 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Can someone explain to me the logic of continually complaining that DUKE gets easy routes to the championship and then wishing for an easy bracket for us? Just a touch hypocritical. I want to beat the best all the way to the championship, not rely on playing scrubs.

• ukcamel
      11:10 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know about wanting an easy road, but at least twice we have been way under-seeded (2011 and 2014). As Cal said, that was unfair to Ohio State and Witchita State, the #1 seeds that had to play is early. As long as we get the seed we deserve I don’t care who the opponents are.

As far as Duke goes, I don’t care. Maybe some people do, but I don’t.

• Mathlete
      1:01 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

We complain about Duke playing nobody until the Sweet 16 because they play no one until the Sweet 16 (and sometimes still get knocked out by Lehigh and Mercer). Wishing we got the same treatment is irrelevant to the former point.

It’s like seeing your boss driving a Ferrari while you’re trying to make payments on your Kia Sedona. You wish you made that kind of money but it doesn’t change that your boss drives that Ferrari and you don’t.

• ClutchCargo
      1:48 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

It’s because everyone actually does want the easiest route to the title game, but Duke seems to be the one team that consistently gets it that way.

3. mccullou
    11:42 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I would love to see Kentucky go to the South Regional. I have tickets to the Memphis regional! Go Cats. Keep winning so this can happen.

4. Cals Hoverboard
    1:44 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I’d rather us be an 8 seed playing like a #1 than a #1 playing like an 8. It’s just fun to point out the hypocrisy of the committee wherever it may arise. No doubt we’ve seen some conference favoritism in recent years to whichever conference is the “strongest” that particular year. And some of the media darlings that we know get the “benefit of the doubt” in seed and location. There is so much parity and momentum swing in college basketball this year, I couldn’t tell you who I’d want to face or not want to face until late next week when the conference tournaments shake out. Who’s hot today may look like hammered poop by the end of next week while others, that we’ve overlooked, we’ll be like “wow, don’t want to see these guys in our region”. I just hope our Cats are like the latter.

5. runningunnin.454
    6:47 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Well hello, West Virginia….where ya been?
    Where’s Louisville, Wisconsin, and Indiana.
    Oh Hoosiers, 16-14 and 6-11….maybe next year, Huh.