Kentucky has not been contacted by the FBI

Back on September 26th, the FBI rocked the college basketball world by releasing information on quite possibly the biggest scandal in the history of college sports.

The University of Louisville was one of the primary schools involved, and the impact of their punishment is expected to be catastrophic to the program. Kentucky fans have been a nervous wreck about the UK’s potential involvement in the nationwide epidemic of using athletic brands to bribe top recruits.

In a release by Justin Sayers of the Courier-Journal, the University of Kentucky has confirmed they “have not” been contacted by anyone from the FBI regarding the investigation. Kentucky was one of 16 schools in Kentucky and Indiana that confirmed they were not being investigated.

Here is the list of schools in Kentucky and their responses:

• University of Kentucky: “We have not.” (Jay Blanton)
  • Western Kentucky University: “The athletics director and university general counsel say they have not been contacted.” (Bob Skipper)
  • Morehead State University: “According to Athletics Director Brian Hutchinson, we have not been contacted.” (Jason Blanton)
  • Eastern Kentucky University: “Not to our knowledge, no.” (Kristi Middleton)
  • Northern Kentucky University: “We have not been contacted by the FBI in regard to the college basketball investigation.” (Brian McEldowney)
  • Murray State University: “No we haven’t been contacted.” (Dave Winder)

The investigation is ongoing, and more information is expected to release in the coming weeks, but this is certainly a good sign for the Wildcats.

*Sigh of relief*

You can read the rest of the Courier-Journal article here.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

33 Comments for Kentucky has not been contacted by the FBI

1. Mad Catter
    10:26 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Wow, that’s going to ruin the day of every Card fan out there. They were SOOOOOOOOOOOO sure Cal was a target.

2. chris43
    10:30 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m not too worried on this and never have been. I mean anything is a possibility but I TRULY believe the Kentucky brand sells itself especially with Cal at the head and the promise of millions coming after the “one and done” year. Cal has the swag and the track history of second contracts in the NBA.

• Luether
      10:44 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Naive…

• timbo
      11:34 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Projecting cynic…

• UKFanMan
      12:08 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

I agree Chris 43…and no Lucif…er…Luether…sorry for typo…I understand where u r coming from…and no one wants to be naive…or ignorant…yada yada…but like John Wall said…you know you will be a multi millionaire in 7 months…why would any one jeopardize that for small potatoes? And the kids involved here…their parents blow…r u serious? Is it they do not believe their kid is a one and done? So the fam might hafta wait a year or 2 or maybe even 3? So they wanna be “F*****G Paid NOW? Truth is Cal recruits more than basketball ability…he recruits character…and he is firm on it…we have dropped out of offers and recruiting top tier players based upon character…if a guy disses his mom or his grandma? He is out. If the guy is a “ME” guy…and not a “Team” guy? Then he is out. And I am totally down with all of that…even at the expense of a Championship. And Cal teaches his kids to be servant leaders…to pay it forward…to be good citizens of their communities…to be grateful for the Blessings God has bestowed upon them…and I am not making this stuff up here…and I am totally down with all of that as well…if Cal never wins another Title…but he keeps doing what he is doing…making men from boys…and making huge positive impacts on their families…then I am totally down with all of that as well…and I believe that I represent the thoughts and beliefs of 99% or more of Big Blue Nation…there is a fringe everywhere…and the fringe tends to be the most vocal…but the fringe does not represent the incredible fan base of Big Blue Nation and does not represent The Big Blue Mist that follows our Cats around the nation and around the world…We people may be crazy as Cal says…but in a good way…the fringe aside…I do not know when Rick succumbed…I believe it began when Cal was hired to coach at Kentucky…even Rick knows that the Kentucky coach is King of the Bluegrass…and he could no longer recruit against UK…and he could no longer beat UK…check the record…he basically lost to UK almost every year…and inn the tourney too…so I do not know…no one but Rick does…but…after the Sypher scandal? Any decent parent would not send their kid to be under his tutelage…unless as parents you cared less about it…which would suck…then 17 year old kids brought into Minardi Hall to be seduced with alcohol, weed (Behanan), music and “ladies of the night”? Which all culminated finally into a 2013 National Title for Ricky boy…and a back tattoo for Ricky too…all of that scandal came out of course around 2015 or whatever? And then…with them already being on probation…and not even yet receiving their punishment? And we are still waiting on that…they cheat to the level of having Adidas pay the families of players who sign with Louisville to the tune of $100k or more? It is a sick thing. And Rick is going to fight for his 44 million dollar buyout? I have a better chance of earning $44 dollars for mowing someone’s front and back yard. And let me briefly comment on the FBI’s “Snitch Line”…I am sure Rick has tried to disguise his voice and call it and “snitch” on other schools/coaches…and I am sure that first on his list would be Cal…lol…Rick chose to leave the job he should have retired from…for 70 million and to run and coach the Celtics…he failed miserably and then had the nerve to take the head job at his former employer’s nemesis? His head was so big I believe he thought he would run right over Kentucky. Which ONLY tells us ALL that he never GOT IT. As the head coach at Louisville you do not even have half of your own city on your side. Debatable if it is even 50/50 in Jefferson County. And the rest of the Commonwealth? 95/5 at best. The point of pointing this out should be obvious. Anyway…even when Rick was head coach here at Kentucky…I met him one time in the back hallways of Rupp Arena after a game…and that lasted for about one half of one second…I said, “Good game Rick” and with zero head nod and zero eye contact he muttered a half of one second “thanks” and that was it…and his wife hated Lexington…and had a reputation of being a complete ass at the top notch stores at the top malls here at that time…and we all knew she hated being here and wanted to go back to New York or Boston…and I suppose that after Ricky Pee failed in Boston…that Ricky Pee convinced her that Louisville is a big city on a big river…not right, but…I could always understand that kind of crap from silver spoon kids who grew up rich and inherited it all…still not right…but…understandable…to a point..but Rick and JoAnne were not rich silver spoon kids who inherited all that…meaning they grew up middle-class like the majority of all of us have…not all…silver spoons happened…poor happened…and they might have been at best lower middle class in terms of income…but this is precisely what makes America great…regardless of your circumstance…if you work hard and desire to achieve…then you can! My point in all of this is this…Rick and JoAnne grew up in decent but relatively humble circumstances. Yet once Rick tasted success guiding Providence to a unlikely Final Four appearance…and then was hired to coach the New York Knicks…and had relative success at that position…and then became the head coach at the University of Kentucky…and he took over a difficult situation left behind by Eddie Sutton…but not to place full blame on Eddie…lets include Cliff Hagan the A.D. who hired Eddie…so we had to clean house…CM Newton brought in to do so…and he eventually hired Rick…and had to be convinced to do so…or was it David Roselle the University President at the time that had to be convinced…one or the two of them both had to be convinced due to Rick’s violations when he was an assistant coach at the University of Hawaii…but Rick convinced them…and within 2 years he was King of the Bluegrass…as Cal is today…but he gave that all up for the money and the power of being the head coach and general manager of the Boston Celtics…just turned out that his coaching style at the NBA level was not so adored by his players…pretty much…and we all must imagine that it IS vastly different coaching multi-millionaire superstar players…than it is coaching younger kids in college trying to become multi-millionaire superstar players…so after that major fail Rick retreated back to College coaching…smart enough…but he was offered the Michigan job…which was pretty hot still at that time after the Fab 5 and all…but chose Louisville…the arch enemy of his former employer…and the “little guy” in the state of Kentucky. I wonder to this day did Rick think he was so popular here that fans would switch allegiances from UK to U of L because of him as head coach? If he ever did even think that thought…oh my was he mistaken. well, this conversation could go on forever…I could write a book…and everything I have said is from memory…I am a 52 year old UK fan…so I was like around 24 when Rick got hired…and I remember most of it…I was gonna say all of it….but none of us recall “all of it”…as far as the ongoing FBI stuff? I hope and pray we are not involved. And I do not believe we are. Why would Cal as head coach at UK have to pull any of that kind of crap to get any recruit? It makes zero sense. And knowing Cal as I do now? He is a man who stops recruiting top players if they do not treat their own mothers with respect and if they are “me, me, me” guys and not “team” guys…I have seen it many, many times over the past 7 or 8 years…so I find it difficult to believe he would NOT drop ANY player he was recruiting if that player and/or his family was demanding monetary compensation in advance of their NBA career. I do not believe I am naive. And I hope I am not naive. But everything I said as a lifelong UK fan is 100 for real. Thanks for your time.

• BBNDan7
      6:37 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Is there a record for the longest comment in KSR history?

• TBW3011
      6:55 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

There absolutely is and it’s right above your question. #WeWereAllWitnesses

• My Dixie Wrecked
      9:12 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Pro tip: Don’t write a book as a reply. TLDR.

• ukkatzfan
      12:43 pm October 7, 2017 Permalink

You remind me of the character in “Raider’s of the Lost Ark” with the sword. I am like Indy. You’re wrong.

• Reuben Cuban
      7:02 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

UKFanMan, under the influence of one Jonathan Miller.

Bullet points please.

• borgie01
      8:52 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

lol I saw what you did there – very well done!

• Reuben Cuban
      7:14 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

UKFanMan and Jonathan Miller posts reminds me of a scene from the cinematic classic, “The Big Chill”:

Karen: How about you Michael? So tell us about the world of big time journalism.
      Sam Weber: Yeah.
      Michael: Well where I work we only have one editorial rule. You can’t write anything longer than it takes your average person to take an average crap.
      [everyone laughs]
      Michael: I’m getting tired of everything I write being read in the can.
      Harold: You can read Dostoyevsky in the can.
      Michael: Yes, but they can’t finish it.

• RealCatsFan
      8:23 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

I actually read UKFanMan’s post while taking a crap, and my feet are still numb from sitting there so long.

• mcp157
      12:45 pm October 7, 2017 Permalink

UKFanMan
      Good response but something I read here made me think of a thought I had in the past, especially when they named the field at Commonwealth stadium C.M. Newton Field. If Jurich is accountable for Pitino, shouldn’t Newton be held more accountable for Mummy and Bassett?

3. Luether
    10:45 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Does anyone honestly think that any school would say “Yes” to this question??

• true2blue
      11:15 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Are you upset that louisville will probably go down alone in the state? Are you really that naive to think that if your cardinals cheat, then so does everyone else? Time to take the pill and accept the fate of L1C4. Stop trying to point the finger elsewhere and making a sad attempt to troll Kentucky fans. You’re starting to make yourself look worse. BBN!

• KYcats11
      12:06 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Wait! Stop everything! Our boy, Luether, finally finished a sentence without, …!

• Reuben Cuban
      7:05 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Little brother on Belknap – uavel – is still denying it.

“This is for the folks in Louie-Ville…….it won’t come true unless you say it will”.

• ukkatzfan
      12:48 pm October 7, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. Worrying about UK doing something wrong is bad. Only worst thing is feeling relieved when a media reports they are safe.

4. Skeps
    10:50 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Moment of silence for Louisville fans. It just keeps getting worse for them.

5. kentuckybackupplayer
    11:29 pm October 6, 2017 Permalink

Little brother just got a lot littler.

• RealCatsFan
      8:28 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

That was an absolutely epic post! It was like going on a journey – a literary journey into the annals of Rick Pitino. Wait, that sounds gross, let me rephrase that. UKFanMan’s post reminded me of one of those epic 4 hour movies that span multiple decades. I’m in awe, dude – please tell me you did not type all that out on your phone!

6. Kat4Life
    12:42 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Dear God FanMan…….that was a mini series !!

• RealCatsFan
      8:30 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

7. TBW3011
    6:58 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Let me know when the Cliff Notes of the UKFanMan post is available.

8. CvilleWildcat
    8:15 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Exactly the reason I don’t read Jonathan Miller posts….my attention span can’t handle, HEY, did you see that squirrel?

9. runningunnin.454
    8:29 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

UKFanMan, did Rickie P authorize that biography? Available in paperback?

10. bluecat15
    8:33 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Seriously!!! This is not NCAA BS. The FBI doesn’t notify you if they are investigating you.

• borgie01
      8:55 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

Spot on comment! If anyone thinks the FBI is not listening still, they are delusional. The press conference essentially turned the lights on, now they follow the cockroaches as they scatter.

11. Trevor
    9:55 am October 7, 2017 Permalink

I will make my comment quick and concise. It’s all about “Keeping Up With The Jones”.

Who are the Jones? UK and Duke.

These other schools just don’t have with UK and Duke has in terms of recruiting prowess and track record in the Pro’s (obviously UK’s is much better). So basically these other schools and trying to close the gap. How? Pay for those recruits (or at least try to).

Anything can happen or come out but I just do not see UK or Duke being involved in this. Mainly because they don’t have to be,

Just my $.02

12. Ruppstartedit
    1:19 pm October 7, 2017 Permalink

Wouldn’t it be great to see coach K led off in handcuffs and the handler says ” keep moving rat face”?

13. catlaska
    5:37 pm October 7, 2017 Permalink

Go Cats. We good.

14. SamKat83
    7:02 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

I wonder if UNC has been contacted, or even Duke?

I know NC is awaiting an NCAA decision.

It is time for Cal’s idea of four major divisions of 16 or so teams each and a tournament of those teams. A new ruling organization with shorter list of rules would be welcome and the time has passed for the NCAA.

Rather, just assure we keep UK’s noses clean and work for the level playing fields for all teams.

Go AD Burnhart, all other UK coaches, and especially our beloved Coach Cal! Coach Cal