Kentucky Fights for a Tough 74-67 Victory at Vanderbilt

© Jim Brown | USATSI

© Jim Brown | USATSI

Kentucky surged out to a nine-point halftime lead and withstood a late Vanderbilt run with physical play to pull away for a 74-67 victory at Memorial Gymnasium.

A week ago Kentucky got out-toughed in Knoxville.  Today in Nashville they owned Vanderbilt inside.  The Cats outscored the Commodores in the paint 36-26 and blocked seven Vanderbilt shots.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had another excellent performance without Quade Green in the lineup.  The point guard led all scorers with 22 points on 7-of-11 shots.  Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya-Jones made plenty of hustle plays, Kevin Knox fought for buckets down the stretch and Hamidou Diallo nailed a corner three-pointer with 1:15 to seal a Kentucky victory.

Riley LaChance had three free throws with 30 seconds to play to make it a one-point game.  A career 85.8 percent free throw shooter missed all three free throw attempts to end any chance Vanderbilt had to win the game.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

21 Comments for Kentucky Fights for a Tough 74-67 Victory at Vanderbilt

1. A_Blue_Wildcat
    6:12 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Great win. I know most people will look at this as us barely beating a really bad Vandy team, but anyone who has followed Kentucky knows that at Vandy is always tough no matter how good or bad they are. On a side note we really need to learn how to close out a game before I have a heart attack.

• Everybody’s Super Bowl.

• Mathlete
      6:58 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Side note – we were without our regular starting point guard (who should be looking over his shoulder because Shai is gonna take his job)

• Luether
      7:22 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

My sources say we barely beat a really bad team…

I say it’s better than losing to a really bad team…

• 4everUKblue
      7:49 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been on the edge of my seat all afternoon waiting to hear your take on it Luether. Whew! Now I can sleep.

• Eazy
      11:08 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

My sources say UK was a 2 point favorite that covered and won without 4 scholarship players. Solid win on the road.

2. EdC
    6:13 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

OK it was rough but Knox showed signs of getting inside the paint and it paid off. Good all around from SGA and Wenyen.

The icing on the cake is Lechance being the one to choke the game for Vandy.

• 4everUKblue
      6:20 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. Wish they all put in the effort that Wenyen does.

3. Did we manage to slip Lachance the loaded Globetrotter ball?

Patrick Sparks he is not apparently. Those FTs weren’t really even close.

• J-Dub421
      6:45 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Lechance definitely choked.

• BBNBRIAN
      6:49 am January 14, 2018 Permalink

You could see it in his eyes afterward. Dude totally crumbled under pressure.

4. KYjellyRoll
    6:17 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

I sure hope to see Shai back next year :-)… looking like a good pg without quade in the mix.

5. JTHinton
    6:25 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

What happened to the black out

6. blueballs80
    6:25 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

We let them back in the game when we fouled Lechance and couldn’t call a timeout. Luckily for us, he missed all 3. Shai will only get better with time and I hope he comes back next year. He can play and might be the go-to guy.

7. UKLugo
    6:48 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

OMG! This team sucks. I cant believe we didnt beat them by 30! Just kidding. Good win. Especially shorthanded at that place with such a young team.

8. CopenhagenCat
    6:55 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Glad they won.But I keep waiting for other guys to step up.Diallo drives me crazy. I swear he seems lost and doesn’t play defense.As big as this team is I have no clue why they give up to many easy baskets .I’m glad they won. But I still haven’t seen any hustle out of the team.Alexander is playing great. The guy is a very smart player. Richards should be dominating but isn’t giving his all. I’m still waiting for the team to get it together. Hopefully they will. Or West Virgina will lay a butt whipping on them.

• Luether
      7:24 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

My sources say that WV will school Ky…

• henderblue
      7:28 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Your sources probably would tell you that if they schooled Kentucky think of how bad they would drill your Louisville Cardinals

• Eazy
      11:11 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

Lol. And we will smoke WVU by 39 in the tournament in the game that counts right? Texas A&M beat WVU by 23 this season!

• 4everUKblue
      7:32 pm January 13, 2018 Permalink

That’s it, Luether’s sources have spoken, we have no chance.

9. satcheluk
    2:48 pm January 14, 2018 Permalink

Good win, but this team is hard for me to watch due to the consistent lack of effort in D and rebounding. They magically come alive at crunch time, but where was that effort the rat of the game? There is nothing worse in this world than talent without drive and when I see 2-3 guys standing there watching 1 of their teammates fight 2-3 from the other team for a rebound it makes me want to puke.

This is not a freshman thing. My 8 year old fights harder than they do half the time. As his coach, I tell him he will ride the bench if he is not the hardest worker in the team. I don’t care about results as much as effort and I will not allow talent to coast. Maybe we need to take some losses with Half-assers riding the pine to force them to give 109% effort 100% of the time.