Kentucky fans can’t really complain about NBA super teams

After the news broke that DeMarcus Cousins is joining the Golden State Warriors, NBA Twitter lost its collective mind, criticizing Cousins for chasing a ring and the Warriors for ruining the league. Earlier, Drew outlined the reasons why this move was the right one for Boogie, but I’m more amused by the number of Kentucky fans outraged by the concept of a super team. As one fan tweeted after I shared a funny Warriors GIF, how could I possibly be a fan of such an “evil empire”? Well, it’s easy. As a Kentucky fan, I already am.

Leave aside the fact that Boogie is rehabbing from an injury and had zero offers before reaching out to Golden State; even if he was 100 percent healthy and had plenty of offers, what’s wrong with him going after a championship? Isn’t that exactly what Reid Travis is doing at Kentucky, or for that matter, any one-and-done who comes to Lexington? Travis could have gone to any program as a grad transfer, including defending champ Villanova, but chose Kentucky because he wanted to surround himself with the best talent to have the best chance at winning a national championship and prepare for the NBA. And he will leave Kentucky after this season, just as Boogie will leave Golden State. Yet, you don’t hear Stanford fans claiming Travis “sold out” or is “soft” for coming to Kentucky, in part because most of them don’t care enough, but also because they realize it’s a win-win situation for him.

As for the fans who claim the Warriors are “ruining the league” by assembling so much talent…what do you expect them to do? Try to lose? Stop making intelligent decisions? Not listen to DeMarcus Cousins when he calls and asks to join their squad for a very low price? The stigma of the evil empire is something Kentucky fans should totally understand because the program’s had it forever, going back to the days of Adolph Rupp. Calipari has cemented his legacy by convincing the best of the best to come to Kentucky; the Warriors, the Lakers, the Celtics, and the Rockets are doing the same thing and it’s totally legal. Fans of other college programs like to complain all the time that Kentucky gets all the good players; aren’t Kentucky fans complaining about Boogie’s move doing the same exact thing? Isn’t that just jealousy?

The only argument you could make for the two situations being different is that players come to Kentucky primarily to have the best chance of making it to the NBA, and secondarily, to win a title, whereas, NBA superstars are making these moves primarily for rings. Yet, you could argue Cousins’ situation is a mixture of both. By going to Golden State, he’s got an environment in which he can rehab, return to the court, not have the pressure of being the only star, win a title, and improve his resume for a monster max deal next summer. Until the rules change and prohibit all-stars from teaming up on the same squad, that’s perfectly fine. And, as a Kentucky fan who’s watched the program thrive off the one-and-done rule, it seems pretty hypocritical to criticize it.

[mobile_ad]

71 Comments for Kentucky fans can’t really complain about NBA super teams

1. JTHinton
    3:00 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

See amendment, first

• KentuckyHouse
      3:12 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

You have every right to speak your mind, but the First Amendment also affords me the freedom to call you and idiot and hypocrite. So it cuts both way, moron.

• JoeMoney333
      3:14 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

That’s not how that works… That’s not how any of that works!

• JTHinton
      3:27 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I was joking. Right afterwards, but it didn’t go under my original comment. She’s 100% right.

• runningunnin.454
      4:23 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Idiot, hypocrite, and moron were harsh, and not called for…obviously a joke.

2. JTHinton
    3:03 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it! You’re not wrong, TT.

3. BBNDan7
    3:17 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Fans are upset only because it makes the season less entertaining to watch. Even when Kentucky went undefeated they lost in the final 4. It’ll always be entertaining in single elimination formats rather than best of 7

• RealCatsFan
      8:33 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Bam – you completely nailed it. It might be interesting for a little while to see how some of these combinations of players work, but the ultimate outcome will be very predictable.

4. KYcats11
    3:21 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Sorry but this is not comparable to the Reid Travis situation. Kentucky has not previously won 3 of the past 4 championships. Plus, NBA is completely different than NCAA because NBA has 30 teams while NCAA has over a hundred. Also, *most* one and dones come to UK to get to the NBA, not to chase a championship. (That’s a secondary reason). That being said, while I dislike Golden State, it was an extremely smart move for Boogie and I cant blame him for that.

• Cletis75
      3:50 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

The only way this could even be comparable is if we had all Americans transferring after we won the championship.

5. Mike Honcho
    3:40 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Don’t really think it’s a fair comparison. There’s 30 teams in the NBA vs. 100s in the ncaa, and as we’ve seen in recent years, talent doesn’t necessarily proportionately congregate to one spot as does in the NBA. Plus the NCAA tournament is a one game series where just about anything can happen. In the NBA best of seven series’ the better team is very likely to win every single time.

• Mike Honcho
      3:45 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

For example: 41% of the western conference all stars are on one team now whereas only 13% of 5 stars are on UK next year

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:39 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Which is ALOT more then most in NCAA?

6. catsfan27
    3:44 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

#4 and #5 hit the nail on the head. Most talented team doesn’t always win the NCAA tournament. Completely different from 7 game series’. Most talented team probably wins 7/10 NBA titles. Most talented team in the NCAA almost never wins

• catsfan27
      3:45 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

*Wouldn’t say almost never wins, but it happens much less often

7. Cletis75
    3:46 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

I always thought our guys would enjoy earning something. So much for “earned not given”, huh?

• bigbluebanana
      4:01 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Where else was he supposed to go? No one wanted him. He supposed to just sit out a year?

• Bobbum Man
      4:01 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

He had no offers, where did u want him to earn it? Why go play for a garbage team for one season?

• az1006
      4:06 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

He wallowed in Sacramento for 7 seasons, where the front office failed him over and over again. He finally has a shot with a winner and tears his Achilles. Due to said injury, he has no offers to go anywhere (not even back to New Orleans), except for one…The two-time defending champs. What’s he supposed to do? Just not play anywhere? Come on dude…Cuz has paid his dues and earned this in every conceivable way. I bet you’re a blast at parties.

• Wade
      9:44 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Cuz will prove himself and reunite with Wall

• mashburnfan1
      4:41 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Banana and Bobbum are right. Every other team had a few days to contact him and make an offer, NONE did. Probably cause of the injury, it is possible Cuz never plays again as this is a very serious injury. I think he did a great move cause now they won’t rush him back to play needing to win quickly, they can wait till he is 100% ready and cleared to try a return. Also smart for the dubs cause now he is on the team and I think it gives them protection to sign him for much more in case Green or Klay leave next year. He is not expected back till Jan/Feb and even then who knows, dubs took the chance nobody else wanted to take.

• Cletis75
      5:27 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

He contacted golden State, not the other way around. He went looking for a handout, not to get the best deal possible.

• Cletis75
      5:30 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Any team would have took him for 5 mil. Most for 10-15. How is this any different than paying 5-10 mil for a championship.

• bigbluebanana
      7:23 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

So….you’re wrong about the 10-15 mil thing…no one was gonna take him at that price point, more importantly, you’re saying that when given the option, people shouldn’t join a winning culture? In your field of work, you wouldn’t join the best company if given the offer?

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:48 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Cletis75 you have no clue what your talking bout… you are not seeing this from Boogies view but only from a fans Perspective

• Cletis75
      4:37 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Banana, are you saying I should quit my $35 per hr job to work at Wal-Mart for $10 hr because Wal-Mart is a more successful company? Aixelsyd, I am looking at it like this- when sh!t gets tough, Boogie takes the easy way out. Why only contact one team? Had he contacted the Lakers or Rockets and said GS is offering me 5mil, whatcha got? I guarantee you they would have offered more. He just looks like Durant now, only worse. He’s gonna get a ring that they were gonna win without him anyway. That’s like living in your parent’s basement and bragging about your house.

• bigbluebanana
      10:39 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

No guy, not at all. I’m saying if you only had one job offer while unemployed, and the only offer that came to you was the top tier company IN YOUR FIELD, you wouldn’t turn it down. Also, way to throw in your salary, cool story…also, if you think Walmart is considered the best of the best, my guess is you don’t make $35 an hour! Lol

8. Bobbum Man
    4:00 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I agree with the others still not the same, 7 game series the best team almost always wins… one game loser goes home anything can happen

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:50 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

So the Celtics were more talented then The Bucks this year? And Cleveland more talented then the Raptors and Celtics!? Don’t think so buddy

9. chardun20
    4:01 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

My opinion, the NBA is no fun knowing that Golden State going to win the Championship just about every year. I already don’t really watch the NBA until the playoffs, now there’s not much use in that.

• cats646
      5:19 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

I understand your point, but if Kentucky were to start winning championships left and right would you stop watching them? Or do you watch college football? Because Alabama is almost always a guarantee to win it all.

• chardun20
      5:43 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

cats646, I’m not a big NBA fan to start with. I do follow former UK players in the NBA. If UK was to 10 NCAA Championships in a row, I would watch, but it wouldn’t be a big deal if I didn’t because I know they would win. If UK goes undefeated in the regular season every year, I wouldn’t watch, I’d just wait for the NCAA Tournament.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:52 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Not much of a Fan then are you?

• cats646
      6:20 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

I see you’re point.

10. hweathers
    4:24 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Sure doesn’t take long to scroll through on days its the “NBASR”

11. runningunnin.454
    4:32 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

I don’t blame the players; Cuz did what he had to do, and Rondo tripled his salary; but, it sure busted up my fav team.
    One obvious difference between the Warriors and the Cats is money; it’s like the other MLB teams trying to compete against the Yankees from the 1920’s to the 1970’s.
    If Cousins gets healthy, and they have no other injuries, the Finals games will be blow outs.

12. Swizzle
    4:44 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Can and will

13. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    4:47 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

It’s time to send the Steph Curry Davidson jersey to the Goodwill rack Mrs. TT. You can be a Warriors fanatic all you want and jump on the bandwagon now that Boogie joined them with your boy Steph but they are ruining the NBA. It’s not entertaining to even watch the finals anymore. Call it jealousy if you want, to me it is players taking advantage of a broke @ss system and making the league boring.

14. cats646
    5:16 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

The way I look at it is, why do you think he chose Kentucky? He chose us because he wanted to win a ring. Now since he has basically a year to burn, why not try and get a ring? I don’t like Golden State, but I understand his decision completely.

• Cletis75
      5:43 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

When he came here, we were an nit team, not champions3 of the 4 previous years. Not even close to the same thing.

• cats646
      6:18 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Yes but he knew with the other freshman coming in that they would be a championship caliber team. Closer to the same thing than you think.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:59 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

464, it’s way over Cletis75 ‘s head obviously.

• Cletis75
      5:01 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, because all freshmen starting fives had won so many championships up to that point! Like I said Apple’s to oranges.

• Cletis75
      5:15 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

He came here to build something special. He was Cals 1st 5 star to commit, I believe, so he didn’t join a bunch of five stars, he was one of the first building blocks. Now he looks to be riding someone else’s coattails. Had he went to the Rockets and knocked off GS, I would consider him a difference maker. He was my 2nd favorite cat of Cal’s tenure behind WAS. It hurts to find out when one of your guys makes a b!tch move like this.

• Cletis75
      5:16 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

WCS

• cats646
      6:21 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

I just don’t get it Cletus. He has a free year. What’s the big deal with him going to the team he’s most likely to win a ring with? I don’t blame him at all. I would bet he won’t be there after this year anyways so who gives a damn.

• cats646
      6:26 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Cletus, are you also mad at PJ for coming back to win a championship? He said himself that’s why he came back. Should he have gone on to the draft and ended up playing overseas? Anything besides chase a ring. I can’t believe a player would even think of such things. Smh

15. TBW3011
    5:52 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Apples and oranges. I’ll like it or not like it if I want to.

16. TBW3011
    5:53 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

And this article is a terrible example. When was the last time the outcome of a college season was known before a game was played? It’s not even close to the same thing.

• Look Out Fireworks
      9:50 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Every year for the last 10 or so.

Everyone knew before the season started it would be Kentucky or Duke winning the title.

Every. Single. Year. Guaranteed.

And look how that turned out.

17. TBW3011
    5:58 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

And anyone who doesn’t like what’s going on with the NBA (I’m one of them) shouldn’t be pissed at Boogie or the Warriors for that matter. It’s the NBA’s fault for having a system that allows this. Not the teams fault for taking advantage of it. It’s not like Boogie pulled a gutless move like Durant who lost in game 7 to the Warriors then joined them. That’s the most mentally weak thing I’ve ever seen from an elite athlete, but it’s just the way Durant is built. He’s an incredible player, but he’s not an alpha. The exact opposite in fact.

• Look Out Fireworks
      9:51 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

It’s not like Boogie is the first player to ever join a team full of superstars.

18. Wilfred Smith
    7:55 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

So, guys suck if they chase money. They also suck if they chase championships. What reasons are they supposed to use to pick a team? The uniforms?

19. BigBlue1979
    11:32 pm July 3, 2018 Permalink

Have people forgot that the Rockets were possibly just a Chris Paul injury away from beating the Warriors. I mean we dont know for sure but it was very likely.

20. Brian in Franklin
    12:20 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

NBA is horrible anyway. Plus its almost football season.

21. (Aixelsyd)0505
    12:28 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

So all these haters are saying that if their squad won 3 of 4 championships then they would start rooting for another team and root against the team they love???? These hypocrites are the ones who make UK fans look so dumb.

22. thenamerobdigity
    8:54 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

The Reid Travis comparison os extremely weak. Cousins was an All-Star. I didn’t see Reid Travis in a mock draft at all.

The Warriors tied for the most regular season wins in NBA history 2 years ago, then the second best player in the league joined them. The next year ANOTHER all-star joined them. The competitive balance is ruined. I don’t think people are mad at the Warriors, they are disappointed in the league. Much like people are upset with UK and Duke, because the rules allow it. (Max contracts in the NBA, and the 1 and done rule).

Everyone is playing by the rules, it’s just the balance is out of whack.

23. catsfan1995
    9:26 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Sorry Tyler, this is the dumbest thing you’ve ever written.

• Look Out Fireworks
      9:53 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

Sorry FakeCatsFan1995, that’s a dumb comment.

• catsfan1995
      8:04 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

How so? Would love to hear your take “Look Out Fireworks” (dumb name, btw)

• cats646
      3:08 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Yea catsfan, she’s written plenty of dumb stuff.

24. Wade
    9:41 am July 4, 2018 Permalink

This is the nba not college you don’t know what your getting in college with 19 yr olds bolting to the league, but a group of 25 year old all stars 6 or 7 of them iquidala was one and prolly another sprinkled in there. I’m are unpaid student athletes and there’s also duke unc Kansas nova who are the others in the nba too compete with gs

25. bigbluehank
    12:12 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

“…players come to Kentucky primarily to have the best chance of making it to the NBA, and secondarily, to win a title…”

While I disagree with other points in the article, this statement was unfortunately spot on. It’s disappointing that what seems like most of UK’s one-and-done players care so little about winning a title. I will never understand how a large portion of the fanbase considers these players who are here for nine months “all-time favorites”, or why they have such loyalty to them once they leave the program.

26. henderblue
    12:20 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Wade, that’s a ridiculous bunch of mumbo jumbo. WTH? You get an F in writing.

27. michaelb
    1:24 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Where can I find the hello mr prez this Demarcus cousins audio or video?!

28. Dark Soul
    4:45 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Its also more about this weak generation being afraid of competition. How can you be Durant or boogie and think its a championship that was earned. I’m used to true greats like Jordan and the Dream that didn’t have that if you can’t beat them join them mentality. Boogie knows its a bit$! Move because he lied and said it was his only offer. Multiple teams offered and one of them was a 3 year 30 million$ contract