Kentucky falls to Kansas 90-84 in an instant classic

© Denny Medley

© Denny Medley

© Denny Medley

Kentucky went in to a rowdy Phog Allen Fieldhouse tonight and took a blood-thirsty Kansas to overtime. Ultimately, the Cats just ran out of gas, falling to the Jayhawks 90-84.

Tyler Ulis scored a team-high 26 points, 14 in the first half, playing every single minute of the game. He also had eight assists. Derek Willis, Marcus Lee, Skal Labissiere, and Alex Poythress all fouled out, dooming the Cats in the final minutes. The Cats had no answer for Wayne Selden, who finished with a career-high 33 points.

62 Comments for Kentucky falls to Kansas 90-84 in an instant classic

1. vegascatfan
    9:41 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

good game, but not an instant classic.

2. Long Dong Silver
    9:42 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

The refs won.

3. Craig Sagers Suits
    9:43 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Looks like KU had their check clear because 25 more shots at the FT stripe in their favor is beyond ridiculous. Granted there were a few fouls they had to commit in garbage time but that’s besides the point. And one question: Where’s this Tai Wynard kid we keep hearing about?

• ukbradstith
      9:59 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Wynyard was never going to play this year. He’s not going to see any time, why waste a year playing him 2 minutes. Doubt he would give us anything Humphies couldn’t anyway.

4. sensiblefan
    9:43 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

“A few weeks ago, no one gave Kentucky a shot in this game. They should walk out of The Phog with their heads held high.”

Going into the season, Kentucky was the favorite to win the game

#perspective

• Seven Ate Nine
      9:48 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

A top 5 team favored to win on the road against another top 5 team? Nice try, but I sincerely doubt that.

• sensiblefan
      9:52 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

They lost tonight by a marginal amount. So yes, the Kentucky we all imagined at the beginning of the season would’ve been the likely favorite.

My point is, this team is too talented for everyone to be accepting a “moral victory”. That is a winnable game.

• ukbradstith
      10:00 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

No one with any basketball knowledge predicted this win pre season. I’d love to see proof of that.

• sensiblefan
      10:34 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

My point is we as Kentucky fans, as well as the rest of college basketball world, likely predicted Kentucky to win this game going into the season. Kentucky was bringing in the #1 recruiting class along with a 3 key players coming back from a team that went 38-1. That is enough to confidently say Kentucky was the favorite to win this game. What more basketball knowledge do you need?

5. tippytoe
    9:43 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Last foul on Willis was bogus. When he left, we were toast.

• not
      11:05 am January 31, 2016 Permalink

*last two fouls in Willis were bogus

6. rainman
    9:44 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Once again, Kentucky takes the air out of the ball, and IMPLODES!

• canecat
      9:45 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Who are you people!

• CATandMONKEY
      10:11 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

You exemplify only the downside of intellectual disabilities. All the idiot, zero savant.

• rainman
      10:20 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Some people can’t handle the truth, I get that!
      This wasn’t the first time, probably won’t be the last!

7. hooter6911
    9:45 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I’m sorry to say this. But, Brisco’s free throws hurt us. I would never have put him back in after his cramps.

• We were out of bodies.

• EdC
      9:50 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

and so did Ulis’ late turnovers and many other things. We aren’t as meaningfully deep this year. Matthews only got 2 minutes so I’m thinking something is going on there that we haven’t heard about.

• hooter6911
      10:07 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I should have ended my comment on a positive note. The CATS made huge strides today. Should be a great boost of confidence for them. Proud of how they fought. Refs were much different in the second half. Most of the foul calls on Lee were legit in my opinion. He definitely doesn’t know how to foul. I feel like he has regressed. Deal is who he is. Making baby steps. Definitely a 2 to 3 year player. But I’m sure “his people” will keep him from making the right decision.

• hooter6911
      10:08 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Skal is who he is. Damn auto correct

8. rainman
    9:46 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

The Refs should be very proud of themselves! Took a good game and turned it into a FARCE!

9. Broski
    9:47 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

It was a great game but the officials ruined the second half. That should’ve been a good loss but the poor calls just leave a bad taste. Disappointing

10. UKfanman01
    9:47 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Great heart by the Cats. When a team shoots nearly 50 free throws it’s hard to win. Even if you block, steal, and assist more. Their point guard was consistently allowed to push off, half of the fouls they called on Kentucky were either bs or super late, then you have the only time they call fouls in favor of Kentucky is when Briscoe has the ball. I can admit when UK gets beat but they got out reffed this game. I’ve heard of home court advantage but man

11. j4stone
    9:47 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

just because a game goes to overtime does not make it an instant classic. UK blew yet another 2nd half lead. I don’t consider that a classic. Brisco’s free throw shooting is absolutely killing this team.

• canecat
      9:50 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Any positives?

• karlitopequeno
      10:07 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Any positives? Yeah. Alex Poythress shut down Perry Ellis, even with four fouls. Skal fouled out, but showed he can make that elbow jumper in crunch time. Tyler Ulis is still Point God (but I think those late TOs were partially caused by fatigue). We will not see another opponent that good in that hostile of an environment again this year, and our guys handled it pretty well. If one more shot drops in regulation and this thread has a completely different demeanor.

12. Big Meech
    9:49 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Really what do you expect at their house. Of course they get the calls. Foul trouble did hurt but we can’t blame the refs. We are doing just fine and thus game gives me a ton of confidence for March. Go cats

• Long Dong Silver
      9:54 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

No. I can blame the refs. You are wrong.

• RexRox
      10:06 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Both of you are correct.

• rainman
      10:22 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

47 freethrows, outscored by 17 at the line, yeah I can blame them!

13. scwhite9
    9:49 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

When we shoot 22 free throws and they shoot 47, something is questionable. I call BS on the referees.

14. J-Dub421
    9:50 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Kansas shot 47 free throws. We shot 22.

15. EdC
    9:52 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I normally won’t whine about a free throw difference because often there are reasons for it like more aggressive D or one team drives more. In this game I didn’t see either of those so it doesn’t feel right. Whatever … this won’t hurt our seed and we learned a lot.

16. The Rest of the story
    9:53 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Again Self could not beat the Cats in regulation so the refs gave him another 5 minutes, what a joke this game was.

17. big cat
    9:57 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

COMPLETELY outplayed….Willis a no show; Lee a no show; Skal….well He’s overrated yet also a no show. Murray was shut down. Ulis was usual self and totally awesome. I think Coach Cal missed it with Briscoe and Skal….so let’s see how good a coach we have with a less than average team by recent standards.

• VMG348
      10:03 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

This can’t be a UK fan… Or your that 1% everyone talks about. Nice to meet you.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:14 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I hesitate to use the word retard…but in this case…

• Big Meech
      10:14 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

You can’t be serious. Why do u even watch the games

18. jim tom
    9:58 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Quit your whining. We got beat plain and simple regardless of foul differential. Maybe if we don’t turn the ball over at end of regulation or make our free throws outcome is different. Lost the game move on

19. Kaptain Kat
    9:59 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Love the fight in this team today. Kansas doesn’t win that game on a neutral court. 47-22 Free throw attempts difference in the game.

20. uk1018
    10:01 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

😝 to you too!!!!

21. Big Meech
    10:01 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Stop crying. We will grow from the loss. When it counts we will be there. There’s no team out there that is scary and we can beat anyone in the tournament. Refs are no excuse. Own your issues and move on

22. big cat
    10:06 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

…and PLEASE….this one was NOT on the refs…we gave this one away. We will be lucky if we make it to Sweet 16 this year…..oh and I’m predicting a seed out West in NCAA tournament…..won’t be a lucrative year cats fans!

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Go to bed, you’re drunk.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:15 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Wrong comment section big.

• VMG348
      10:16 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Please stop posting, Nancy!

• big cat
      10:23 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

…..I hope I’m wrong… but I no longer believe all the hype. I do feel this team is overrated yet they seem to under perform….Sweet 16 at best…mark it down….oh BTW if I’m drunk then RealCatsFan is on crack cuz this team is not spectacular….and it is POLITICALLY CORRECT to be critical…..I’m not a left wing liberal…..lol.

• rainman
      10:25 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think he’s drunk, just stupid!
      OH, and a TARD!

• VMG348
      11:46 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I’m still hoping for drunk…

23. CATandMONKEY
    10:07 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

All KSR employees should forevermore be banned from attending a road game. This is on you, Drew.

24. RealCatsFan
    10:13 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

I’m encouraged by the fight this team showed in a hostile environment. Now I know why Kansas has such a good home winning record, and no, it’s not because of the fans. Still, the Cats had their chances to win this game going down the stretch, but just couldn’t execute when it counted. Was really hoping Murray would get hot from 3-pt land, but never happened. Not scared of Kansas at all should we meet them in the NCAA tourney on a neutral court.

25. mj7juice
    10:17 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

47 free throws? Unbelievable, I mean really. Goodness. Willis’s 5th, Hawkins 2nd absolutely bogus not to mention 20 others. Complete BS. Ullis with a rebound with seconds to go GETS BULLDOZED, no call and the fairies kick it out for a three. Worst officiated game ive witnessed at any level.

26. mj7juice
    10:18 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Loved the fight despite the atrocity from “basketball officials”.

27. kenny
    10:35 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Not so sensible fan lol uk should never lose they should have 100 championships

28. Big Meech
    10:37 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

Pussies blame the ref. Men look at themselves. 5-23 3 point shooting Murray didn’t have a great night. He needs to play well against tough opponents

29. sweet wm
    11:15 pm January 30, 2016 Permalink

KU radio network was saying the team had instructions to foul Briscoe on purpose twice to get the ball back and Briscoe cannot hit free throws.

• catdaddyd
      1:14 pm January 31, 2016 Permalink

Missed free throws are like a turnover, takes away point opportunities and gives them another possession.