Kentucky escapes hot shooting VMI, 92-82

Kentucky needed the entire game to put away VMI, the team picked dead last in the SoCon’s preseason poll, Sunday night. VMI’s hot shooting kept it close and had UK fans sweating bullets in the final minutes, but the Cats were able to pull away in the end, 92-82.

See the stats:

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Kentucky escapes hot shooting VMI, 92-82

1. 72uksprinter
    8:13 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

The Bubba Parham Show outscored UK by 4 points in the second half.

• Booby Petrino
      8:31 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

But we scored 44 points in the 2nd half and he had 35 total, so not sure about that.

• 72uksprinter
      8:57 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Booby,
      Good point.
      But, by Bubba Parham Show I meant VMI as a team.
      They made 8 more on top of Bubba’s 10.
      Phenomenal.
      Good on them and good on our guys for getting the W.

• Booby Petrino
      9:04 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Gotcha *thumbs up*

2. michaelb
    8:14 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Where can I get a bubba parm jersey . He’s better shooter than steph

3. Bigblue7982
    8:15 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

No one should be worried VMI literally couldn’t miss even over the defense.

• mashburnfan1
      10:50 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Not worried. I knew after the preseason games this team had ZERO chance at a title. Already looking to next year and hoping Cal gets the best FR and some guys stay so we may have a chance next season. But he will still push these guys, that will not be ready, to the NBA so in June he can brag about more picks…….yeah….ssdy…same shit different year.

4. ukbradstith
    8:16 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m not giving up by any stretch, but I had this team figured all wrong. Pitt beat this VMI team by 40. Hard for me to see how we are serious contenders in March but hope I’m way off. 13, 14, 16, 18, and to some extent 17 were all pretty average seasons and it looks that way again.

• Sublem
      8:21 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

VMI didnt go off on Pitt either. They shot 20% from three against Pitt, a team that depends on its 3’s to win games is going to get stomped by other teams when they can only hit 20%

• JTHinton
      8:47 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

We made the national championship game in 14 and lost to a team with a bunch of upperclassmen, who had been on probation in 13 for recruiting violations.

• mashburnfan1
      10:53 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Sublem….because Pitt maybe played defense, maybe Pitt has an actual coach. Make all the excuses you want, most decent teams beat this VMI by 15 plus and good teams win by 30 plus. They are even a young team, no senior plays for them.

5. michaelb
    8:21 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Good thing we hit our free throws or we would have lost . I don’t see how cal doesn’t just run these guys legs off for not playing d.

6. big cat
    8:21 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m not shocked. We are pathetic.

7. Cmart0907
    8:24 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

I think it just boils down to effort and intensity these guys play with. Lack of urgency.

8. 72uksprinter
    8:28 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Bahamas hype is probably the worst thing that could have happened.
    Unless Cal has just worn them out, they are simply not showing up in their defensive sets.
    Long way to go, lots to improve on.
    Go Kats!

• Truth_Hurts
      8:32 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Perimeter defense. I’m very concerned. This team was way over rated. They can’t guard anyone. Very long way to go, especially on defense.

9. Jiminy Crickets
    8:35 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Here comes the “VMI is good” guys! Sure Parham hit some crazy shots, but what about all the wide open 3s the other guys took? This team has a really long way to go

• Truth_Hurts
      9:04 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Yeah people would have you thinking VMI are world beaters. This is a team picked to finish last in their conference.

10. jytruebluefan
    8:35 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

I really didn’t see as many bad defensive plays as much as I saw great shooting from VMI. What are we supposed to do when a team can’t miss? We did well to shoot great from the FT line and capitalized on Turnovers. Go Cats!

• mashburnfan1
      10:55 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

guard them. get in their face and make them drive off the line. don’t give them open 3’s. maybe evn go zone but extended to cover 3’s. that will all require actual coaching though.

11. CATandMONKEY
    8:40 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Did Cal have the guys pull a 2 1/2 hour practice earlier today, a’la Billy G?

12. N-UR-i
    8:50 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Sad

13. jaws2
    9:13 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Like I said earlier when the spread was announced; EASY money on the Vegas line. This team ain’t beating any team by 33 the way they’re playing.

• CatsandPats
      9:37 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

I’ll always bleed blue but I’m like you Jaws, I’d bet the house on that line. Team is too young and too inexperienced to carry that spread.

• michaelb
      9:42 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

Yea that’s a way to continually make $

• aklcat22
      10:56 pm November 18, 2018 Permalink

They just beat North Dakota by 38 points 4 days ago and had VMI shot the same 20% they shot against Pitt they have 33 fewer points and we win by 43, they were just hot. Poor perimeter defense plays a role but they still had to knock down the shots.