Kentucky Derby Festival Classic will “Take a Timeout”

WDRB

The longest-running high school all-star basketball in the country will not be played in 2018.  Officials announced the annual Basketball Classic in Louisville will not be a part of the 2018 Kentucky Derby Festival.

Once the most prestigious high school all-star game in the country, the event has recently struggled to attract the nation’s best players, thanks to the rise of other all-star games like the Jordan Brand game and the Nike Hoops Summit.  Attendance has not been great either.  It once drew up to 18,000, but in recent yeas has struggled to make it to 5,000.

Described as a “reevaluation,” I personally hope to see the event return one day, even though it’s doubtful.  The KDF Classic was the first place I got to boo Greg Paulus and yell to Patrick Patterson, “COME TO KENTUCKY!”

If the game does not return, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander will be the KDF Basketball Classic’s final MVP.  Last year he led all players with 29 points and 6 assists at Freedom Hall.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

6 Comments for Kentucky Derby Festival Classic will “Take a Timeout”

1. Catcasey1
    3:16 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

Seen that come n

2. Bill Selfs Hair Piece
    3:18 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

Bummer. The only 2 times I went were to see Brad in ’16 and Shai the year after. Why not make it the Adidas KDF2 Classic?

3. ClutchCargo
    3:51 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

I believe the kids are only allowed to participate in two of these type events, so KDF is the odd one out.

4. RickE
    4:33 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

It’s a sign not many U of L recruits will be good enough to play = No crowd.

5. Jiminy Crickets
    4:44 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

Uk recruits don’t play in this… they’re typically in Jordan or McD ( or both). Since Cal we’ve typically only had one recruit play. It’s mostly UL recruits. As of today UL has no recruits, and probably won’t fit 1-2 more years, so why have it?

6. ukkatzfan
    5:44 pm February 1, 2018 Permalink

I went to it in ’94 and ’95. Toby Bailey was a different school favorite I seen. But I seen the BEST thing coach-2 ever did in ’95. There was a 300 pound fat center that spent the game running between free throw lines. He never had enough time to get in position it seemed. Was like watching a tall, fatter version of myself playing. I had no idea why coach-2 ever recruited Nazr that day. But after a year of JV ball at UK, 3 more years that involved a shot against Vandy and a 20 year NBA career…. Was the best thing coach 2 ever did in his entire basketball career by my standards. And Nazr made the very most out of an opportunity that his scholarship gave him. I think his attitude would be an upgrade for most. He will always be a favorite cause I seen him at the Derby Classic.