Kentucky blows a 21-point lead, loses to Tennessee 84-77

CaQS-eQXEAATJNY

I’m not sure there are words for what I just saw. After being up 21 points in the first half, Kentucky absolutely fell apart, letting Tennessee get within six at halftime. The second half was even worse, Kentucky unable to get into a flow thanks to foul trouble and poor rebounding. The Vols eventually won, 84-77.

The officiating was atrocious, and you’ll hear a lot about it tonight, but Kentucky was plenty bad all on its own. All of the Cats’ demons came back to haunt them; no presence inside, no offensive flow, nothing. Just Tyler Ulis trying to do it all.

We’ll have more throughout the night if you can stand it.

108 Comments for Kentucky blows a 21-point lead, loses to Tennessee 84-77

1. EdC
    9:19 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Yep. Might have won with different officiating but we got outrebounded, had more turnovers, shot poorly, poor shot selection, again heaving 3s early in the shot clock throughout the game and were generally outhustled. Our bigs all still swinging at blocks like they are playing volleyball. Not a good follow to a great Kansas effort.

2. SanDiegoCats
    9:19 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I’m in shock. I really feel bad for Tyler. This is the first time this year I have completely lost confidence in this team. Good teams get better in 2nd half. Last two games we have gotten a lot worse.

3. mcphilld
    9:19 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Another horribly coached game by Cal, he should go to the NBA to expose how bad of an in game coach he really is.

• canecat
      9:20 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

How many games have you coached? Maybe UK could hire you.

• mcphilld
      9:22 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

How many millions am I getting paid to coach like a Jv girls coach?!

• theSkinny81
      9:23 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Haven’t seen you around here before… WELCOME! /s

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      9:24 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

You’re borderline autistic if you actually think you could do a better coaching job than cal

• Rixter
      9:25 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Bend over, and I’l McPhill you!

• ukbradstith
      9:26 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Literally nothing to do with coaching. Terrible individual defense, poythress costly turnovers, zero post play. Lost this game.

• mcphilld
      9:28 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Been following the site since the beginning, juat never posted. This game was very frustrating. Not sure what offense they were running, made no adjustments on defense outside of the high double which led to open baskets/fouls shots on 3 straight possessions. I get that the officiating was bad, but it’s coaching when you blow a 21 point lead to a horrendous Ten team.

9:29 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Hahahaha. Sure……

• WeareBBN
      9:32 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

He already showed how bad he was in the NBA once. Look Cal is a great guy and is great for the kids and community but not a great coach. Unless he just has way more talent, which he usually does, he does not win. Even with all that talent and blowing through easy schedules, lets face it when he was at Memphis Conf USA sucked and right now the SEC sucks, to get a high tourney seed year in and year out, ONE title that he almost blew by trying to coach in the 2nd half of that Kansas game. I am not saying fire Cal, love the talent he gets here, most years, but when you depend on Freshman every year you must get all the right ones or know how to coach. The years he does not we are bad, remember Robert Morris and this year seems the same. College bball is bad enough we will make the NCAA but we are not that good of a team and doubt we go past the 1st weekend, great kids just not a great chemistry.

• mcphilld
      9:32 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Again, never said I could do a better coaching job than Cal, I’m also not getting paid a lot of money to coach college ball. I just expect the highest paid coach in the game to at least show some in game coaching ability that’s all. He’s a great recruiter and an amazing developer of talent, but I’m now convinced he’s a subpar game manager.

9:37 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

And this is why we are lucky to keep coaches more than a few years….

• mcphilld
      9:42 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Good call Big Board, I’ve gotten spoiled lately by the overall success. It just sucks having such high expectations after a great showing at the Phog and then losing a game like that

9:45 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

It happens all over the nation, not just here.

• Kyblue34
      9:48 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Seems like most of our players just don’t fit into Cal’s system this year, and Cal is too stubborn to change. Ulis and Briscoe are only two who can play man to man defense, and Ulis and Murray are only two that can drive and create offense.

9:51 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Happens sometimes.

• UKALLDAY1
      9:57 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Anymore national title predictions?? All I see is guards pounding the ball deep in the clock! Our PG is falling apart!! You heard what Tyler said, the day after the Kansas game he couldn’t move and woke up HURTING!! Our first 5 consist of 4 guys jacking up 3’s and the 6’8” is our number one post option, we were suppose to have he #1 class, we can do better than this. I said it many times before you can only go so far being this perimeter oriented, low percentage shots are not always going to fall!

• Dubai_Bryan
      10:02 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

First of all, have some respect for the coach that has given us one of the best runs in UK history. Everyone will be DREAMING of the days Cal was here once he is gone and we get another Tubby or God forbid Billy Clyde….or a guy like Tom Crean. 4 of the last 5 Final 4s, 38-1 last year…and another powerhouse team next year most likely. They aren’t going to dominate every year! Second, A_Blue_Wildcat, whoever you are, saying someone is “borderline autistic” is one of the most offensive and ignorant things I’ve ever read. Do you even know what autism is? Do you have any idea how many people in this world are affected by autism and struggle with the stresses and hateful misconceptions from people like you every day?? I have a young and very intelligent son with autism who will have to work his whole life to overcome cruel and uneducated people such as yourself. Please think for a second next time you make a comment like that…

• PoopTooth
      10:10 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

@ mcphilld and WeareBBN – Can’t really say the coaching is the reason… Frankly tired of hearing coaching is an issue… i’m not going to be the guy to go through Cal’s accolades, champions, runner-ups, final fours, elite eights, etc… because I hate those guys most days and I’ve had my doubts as well. But lets get real… just cuz Cal doesn’t call a timeout and baby his players into a set play when you think its convenient, means he’s being out coached. You don’t get to this level and win like this being a terrible x’s and o’s coach that’s reality (regardless of recruiting). Does he do it the way we want him to all the time? Does he hand hold and give step by step instructions? No definitely not but he’s consistent in getting young to understand basketball and make winning plays in college which transfers over to the NBA level. Do i wish we had times where he would call more plays especially in-bounding? Sure, but the fact is, he gets young guys to understand the game and play with each other on the fly… now that’s basketball!!! It’s never been a sport meant to be controlled by the coach… it’s controlled by action, precision, and pace whether it’s the players or the refs… the coaches have little control in the every day movements and moments of the game… and that’s where Calipari excels! Grow up and be supportive… this man, his family, and many young kids have given up more than you could imagine in your little life so you could sit here and type BS on your keyboard.

10:51 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Good luck, PoopTooth.

The idiots are out in full force tonight.

4. A_Blue_Wildcat
    9:20 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

We just got outrebounded by a team that has the size of a typical division two team. This might be the worst frontcourt in over 20 years.

5. tippytoe
    9:20 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Can’t wait for the Big Bore to spin this one. Blaming referees, calling everyone who’s frustrated on this board names like a troll or body parts.
    Go ahead, loser let’s hear ya!

9:28 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

cats paw, you’re getting ridiculous.

I like how you had to wait until the last minute and know we lost before you crawled out of your hole to troll. And the only thing you’re worried about is me.

But please, carry on. Loser.

6. SanDiegoCats
    9:20 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

And I hope Lee goes to nba. I know none of our bigs played greatbut he’s the only one I think has regressed from start of year.

7. Mc12
    9:21 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

College officiating is at an all time low. Not just against UK, although there was an 8 to 10 min stretch that was laughable, but across the board. I seriously think high school officiating is better. I also believe that NBA refs should train college refs. I also seriously believe that they should raise the foul limit to 6 to reduce the influence they have. The 4th on Briscoe, followed up by the call against Willis, then AP gets thrown down and gets called for a ticky tack on the other end. Good stuff.

• WildFan
      9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Exactly how do you not call the 2 (possibly) three fouls with Poythress being taken to the ground and then 5 seconds later call a nothing foul against Poythress on the other end?

8. BMT
    9:21 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

There were certainly some bad calls but you can’t blame going from up 21 to losing by 7 all on the refs. I feel bad for Tyler. He’s the only person that plays his guts out and obviously gives a damn about winning.

• catdaddyd
      10:33 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Tyler was lost several times on defense and shot 3 for 10.

10:56 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

^ Now this tool is hating on Ulis.

• catdaddyd
      11:05 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Is there anything that I said isn’t that isn’t true? And leave my tool out of it.

9. TorpedoVegas
    9:23 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Someone try to spin this loss to some how make it positive for the future. Is this the sixth wake up call? Are they going to play tougher next time? Add any other bs excuse we’ll hear from the players. This team has been exposed for what they are and they will be lucky to avoid 10 losses.

• plumloopy
      9:59 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Gotta hope for 2014. Unfortunately, that was a much better balanced team than this one.

10. canecat
    9:24 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

mcphilld if you are such an expert, I would think money would not be an issue for you

11. kenny
    9:25 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Can somebody, anybody give me a reason to believe this Kentucky team is going to get it in time? First time this season I’m very disappointed in this team. Cats fan till the end tho, just not as optimistic after what I just seen.

• BMT
      9:28 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I wish I could but I’m right there with you. I’ll always cheer for the Cats but at this point, I’m just going to have accept this team for what it is. They won’t win the SEC outright but they *could* win the SEC tournament if they would all play their butts off (you know, like Tyler). IMO, the Sweet Sixteen is probably this team’s ceiling but I would not be surprised at all to see them lose earlier, either.

• RealCatsFan
      9:42 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I have two numbers for you to digest before you dig the hole for this team. 2011 and 2014. Both had multiple bad losses on the road. Both got hot when it counted.

• catdaddyd
      10:38 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Both 2011 and 2014 had low post Guys. TJ and Jorts, Julius Randle.

12. BTownUKFan
    9:25 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Jamal Murray plays like he’s at a skills camp. He has no desire to win, he just wants to show off his abilities.

• catdaddyd
      10:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I just wished he would pass it on a fast break once. It would be like a unicorn sighting.

13. canecat
    9:27 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

can’t wait for the post game show, oy vey!

14. lmdxn
    9:27 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Was it just me or did the rims sound like they had loose pennies clanking around in them?

15. kenny
    9:27 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Speak comfort to me ukbigboard.

9:30 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

You’ll never amount to anything in life?

I’m sorry, thats all I could come up with…..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• kenny
      9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I’m really disappointed in you, I usually agree with you on most things, I look at things from a glass half full perspective as do you, from what I’ve seen.

9:42 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Meh. Just tired of all the trolls running amok on here. KSR doesn’t seem to care…..

• kenny
      9:47 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I know what you mean, I live in Louisville, I can’t even go on fb, now without having to hear it. I can assure you I’m not a trol, just the first time this season I’m pretty disappointed,

9:50 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

They have nothing to talk shit about to us. We have owned them, even this year, and its not been close.

• kenny
      9:58 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know what’s worse ul fans or uk fans that think cal has not been successful at uk. It’s like that ff drought never happened. He’s set expectations so high, which is a good thing.

16. ukbradstith
    9:28 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

At least you don’t play in the road in the tourney. Trying to be positive…

• Bill the Cat
      9:39 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

We looked like a group of kids playing IN the road tonight.

17. lmdxn
    9:30 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know how much more of this season I can watch if the officiating is going to continue like this. No doubt we gagged tonight but the calls in the last two games go beyond bad and make me question intent by the officials. Unwatchable.

18. Jaxson
    9:30 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

With the win tonight Tennessee is 11-11 and at least a .500 team. So it’s better than losing to an Auburn team that’s 9-12. Still bad. Hard to explain how UK played so well at Kansas then does this.

• plumloopy
      10:01 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

A .500 team in the SEC doesn’t even make the CBIT.

19. AllBlueAllDay
    9:32 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Could this loss be the equivalent to the road loss at south Carolina in 2014? You know the year where Aaron Harrison said they could still be something special.

20. Bluebleeder
    9:34 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

This team plays to the level of it’s opponent.

21. mudcreekmark
    9:35 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I know I am no coach and Cal has done wonderful things everywhere he goes. but damn I wish he would switch up his defense from time to time. They were just spreading the floor out, taking our bigs away from the basket and then just driving the ball to the basket. They would score or get fouled. Usually when teams get into foul trouble teams will play zone to protect themselves by playing zone. This is two games in a row that we had trouble keeping anyone in front of us and getting fouls upon fouls. We are the easiest team to prepare for because they know exactly what we are going to do. Look at Kansas, they played a triangle and two to try to make sure they had contact with our two best players. A good coach will try something to change momentum but we just keep doing the same thing no matter the situation.

22. EdC
    9:35 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Anybody still think this team doesn’t compare well to Nerlen’s team? Noel’s team was 19-6 before he got injured in the Florida game. What happens if the best player on this team gets injured? Anybody see anything other than NIT?

• BMT
      9:37 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Oh hell no. If, God forbid, Tyler was injured and out the rest of the season, they’d be NIT bound for certain. Absolutely, positively, without a doubt.

9:38 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

What if Damion Lee gets injured?

Marcus Paige?

Denzel Valentine?

• BMT
      9:39 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

The problem is, Tyler is just one guy and even though his heart is big enough, he can’t pull the whole team along by himself.

• EdC
      9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t really expect for you to pick up on the point so I guess in that twisted way you succeed. Congrats.

• EdC
      9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Agreed BMT and like Noel the team would fold if Tyler missed a game with a cold.

9:43 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

My point is, you could say that about any team, especially this year.

• EdC
      9:45 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

And again you completely missed the original point. Never mind.

9:49 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Explain it to me then.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      10:12 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I think the point is, you don’t really have a point. Just looking for anything to be down about. It sounds like an exciting way to go through life.

23. lmdxn
    9:36 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

The most telling stat to me was UT had 26 points off the bench to UKs 4. Yea. Letting bench players go off and in return throwing up basically goose eggs is not a key to success.

24. Mountain Cat
    9:38 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Jamal Murray can’t guard anybody!!

• mudcreekmark
      9:52 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

He beat us at Kansas with his terrible defense.

25. big cat
    9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I say again…IF we make tourny we will be in the WEST bracket…i stopoed drinking the koolaid a few years ago….sick and tired of this BS….but of course we blame refs but never admit that Cal is NOT a great coach….a good recruiter, but i like to think UK is THE reason for the talent…not Cal. Brad Stevens should be our coach at UK….remember Butler…yeah that coach for the Celtics.

• kenny
      9:43 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

You missed out on some pretty decent kool-aid last year

9:44 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, the last several years have really sucked.

• RealCatsFan
      9:46 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, Mark Coury and co was some great talent that Tubby was pulling in during his last years at UK. And high level players were just falling over themselves to play for us when BCG was here.

• Mc12
      9:49 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I would love to be in the West bracket.

If you like to think UK is the reason for the talent what happened with Billie G? Next year’s team will be sick. Honestly, this year’s team has a shot based on the landscape of college basketball.

Although not having toughness in the paint changes things. I’m assuming Wynyard is just getting dogged in practice. I think Skal needs to take over as the 3rd option in the frontcourt ahead of Lee. At least Skal has room to develop, and can hit a shot.

26. jblaze
    9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I’m gonna call Derrick Willis dad he will make everything okay!! BO lieve

27. Jiminy Crickets
    9:40 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

What the h#LL is wrong with Lee?? UT has no one over 6’5 and Lee gets dominated. POY cant stay out of foul trouble. The game plan was SIMPLE, drive at UK, they will foul you!!!

Where is our bench? Skal sucks, and looks lost! Matthews, who looked good early in the year looks terrible and useless.

Im frustrated and I just dont understand. Up 15 at Auburn and lose, then up 21 at UT and Lose????

• EdC
      9:44 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Kind of hard to expect Matthews to not play at all in the Kansas game, come in for 3 garbage minutes here and set the world on fire but yea, our star recruit and senior leadership aren’t as advertised. One of our juniors who Cal was reluctant to play has far outshined the one that is supposed to be such a ball of energy and outrebounded the much more athletic Poythress.

28. JCBlue22
    9:45 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Are there any good Cal to the NBA rumors on right now? I’d like to feel optimistic about Kentucky basketball for once

• canecat
      9:46 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Be very careful what you wish for

9:48 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Cal will go to the NBA soon, with help from douche nozzle like you.

• JCBlue22
      9:50 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

good. maybe we can beat the teams on the bottom rung of the SEC for once

• kenny
      9:54 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

How quickly we forget

• ukbradstith
      9:57 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

For once? You mean like basically every year? So awful being in our greatest stretch in history.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      10:16 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Aww, is this your first year following KY?

29. big cat
    9:46 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

…..and Isiah Nabisco is NOT a great player….Lee has not improved, no BIGS at all, Skal way overhyped coming in….but give it to Cal, he’s smart…he gets fans to believe but he can’t get his team to believe. We can do better. Honeymoon is over folks!!!!

• kenny
      9:52 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

4 ff, 1 championship, good honeymoon.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      10:19 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Fastest coach to 200 wins in KY history and 2nd fastest in NCAA Div I. Stop trolling.

30. StevieGotLoose
    9:46 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

This team is pathetic, losing to a team with an 11- 11 record and 4-6 in the SEC. Anybody who thinks this team will make any noise in the post season is crazy. They will get a mid level seed and have to play another mid level seed and lose in the first round. Good thing tomorrow is signing day for football. Matt Jones and crew can spend the day talking football and not have to spin this loss, because losing to Kansas in OT (after Kansas missed something like 18 free throws) makes the cats a really dangerous team in the post season. This loss was just a bump in the road I’m sure.

9:48 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Good to see you got out of your cave!

• StevieGotLoose
      7:25 am February 3, 2016 Permalink

I have not been in a cave, I have a life outside of this website and a family that I would rather spend time with than watch this group play (lose).

31. JCBlue22
    9:48 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

it doesn’t matter anyway, we’ll just get a new team next year when this bunch all jump to the NBA to make their millions. Players first everybody!

• plumloopy
      9:55 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

It’s funny, I feel a little this way. I realize that I’m only willing to put up with the one-and-dones when we’re winning. It’s like you resent the guys who come for 8 months and then leave with nothing to show for it. I felt this way in 2014 (not 2013 having just gotten a championship) and then that year completely changed at the end.

• big cat
      10:53 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Mmmm…..grape flavor last week…..the flavor of the week is orange this week. Keep drinkin the koolaid folks…put some bourbon in it to kill the memories of this dysfunctional team.

10:58 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Have fun crawling back on the bandwagon, big cat.

• StevieGotLoose
      7:31 am February 3, 2016 Permalink

I am very tired of the players first attitude/mantra. We don’t have a team, just a bunch of players who want to be elsewhere. I hope the entire freshman class leaves because they are not worth having. One big problem is the NBA is not going to take them. May be Cal can take a page from the loserville book and find another school for them to transfer to and free up the scholarships.

32. big cat
    9:50 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

we are a west seed….and Cal just got beat with Donnie Tyndall’s leftovers at UT…LOL….suck it UK Big Board…u guys should be ashamed….u probably follow coach Cal to the bathroom to wipe his butt….

33. SanDiegoCats
    9:50 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

God big cat sucks. What an awful life. Just read his posts. Poor guy.

This game sucked. More than any this year. And it doesn’t get any better coming on the board and reading comments that this guy posts.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      10:23 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

They need a feature on here where you can block posts of people you don’t want to read, i.e. trolls. Like it would just have a blank spot where their posts are or a collapsed comment.

34. Memphis UK Cat
    9:55 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

OMG we lost to prison orange. Ouch, now i have to hear Rocky Top from the neighbor’s yard. Very disappointing after a hard fought Kansas game.

35. plumloopy
    9:56 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I was thinking Cal should have gotten himself T’d up to try and counteract the refs a bit. Easy to say now, but I did think that. At some point, you have to push back or we’re going to get the rep as a team that fouls a lot, fair or not.

36. Bill the Cat
    10:03 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Are we the ONLY team in college bball that almost never plays a zone defense? NOT saying we should play zone exclusively but you got to mix it up on teams at times. Plus, it allows your defense to rest a bit b/c they aren’t chasing guys around screens all night. I realize we aren’t supposed to question the coaches in bball like we can in football but day-um, it’s not that difficult to see these things.

37. CATilactica
    10:12 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I like him as a person. But Poythress should just quit basketball

• catdaddyd
      10:50 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

He will after this year.

38. runningunnin.454
    11:19 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I come here after wins & nobody is here. You worms sure crawl out from under the rock after a loss.
    Bashing Cal is 1 thing; he does make the money;but, he’s in the HOF & I doubt if any of you could coach T-ball. I am tired of the personal attacks on the players on MY team. Last couple of yrs you bashed the Harrisons; tell me, miss them yet?
    Tell me, how many times have you played in front of 20,000 people & a national TV audience? How many jump shots did you make? How many rebounds did you get?What was your FT %.
    Really, I would like to know. But; if the answer is 0,0,0, and 0, I think you should shut up and crawl back under your rocks.

39. runningunnin.454
    11:53 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Exactly why is my comment awaiting “moderation”? I see all genre of vulgar words and perverse sexual innuendo on this board; and, you don’t want to post a comment from an actual UK alum that contains no vulgarity or personal assaults on players, the coach, or handicapped people? I feel like Briscoe and I just picked up my 4th foul.

I insist you post my original comment.