Kentucky beat LSU, but were we impressed?

wenyen-lsu

If you had Wenyen Gabriel in your office’s MVP of the Night pool, you, my friend, are a winner.

Gabriel was the star for the Wildcats with a career-high and team-high 23 points on an impressive 7-for-11 shooting night, including 3-of-6 from outside. He chipped in eight rebounds and two assists for good measure in his team’s 92-85 win, while Malik Monk took threw in 22 points of his own.

Now for the burning question: Should fans be satisfied with a seven-point victory? I say no way. LSU is trash. You gotta blow them out in this one. That ending was embarrassing. Learn defense.

But a win is a win, I suppose.

lsu-box

Article written by Drew Franklin

71 Comments for Kentucky beat LSU, but were we impressed?

1. Rise
    9:08 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

I never seen such a athletic team be such terrbile defenders. I don’t get it. No shot blockers maybe?

2. Kevin C
    9:09 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Pathetic. This team just refuses to play defense.

3. DelrayCat
    9:10 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Lets face it…the problems with this team lie in the paint. We simply have no frontcourt. Bam is one of the most overrated players of the Cal era, as far as being one-and-done ready. He just doesn’t have that much game and is really not even a good positional defender with his size. Humphries has not improved at all over last year. Willis and Gabriel are not well suited for banging in the paint, but are forced to do so out of necessity. Tai is so limited offensively, and SKJ must be truly bad if he’s not even getting garbage minutes. Now we can live without a significant amount of scoring from this group, but our complete lack of interior defense, rebounding, and rim protection will likely send the cats to an early exit in the tournament.

• henderblue
      9:46 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Summed up very nicely and I think the majority of BBN would agree. Teams just take the ball to the basket and we oblige by moving out of the way. Even LSU scored at will in the paint

• unbridled
      1:50 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

True but the perimeter defense is atrocious as well. Straight line drives to the basket are uncontested from onset. The lack of on ball defense only exacerbates the weak interior play. While Bams game might be lacking….I think the guards are given too much of a pass. I know monk and fox are dynamic, but scoring is only one facet to the game of basketball and many of the teams problems stem from what they can’t or refuse to do.

4. chris43
    9:10 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

ALWAYS nice to get a win! Impressed? No, not by any means. LSU was a 9-13 team who was 1-9 on conference if I’m not mistaken. We started out great moving the ball and playing hard. But once we got the lead we took the lead….relax time and take the foot off the gas. LSU made a run but simply didn’t have the talent to beat us. They played harder I’ll give them that but there’s still a ton of room for improvement. A month or so ago we would have beat this team by 20+ at home. There’s still plenty of time to get it together so hopefully we can make a run in the tourney. If GABRIEL can be consistent at the 4 spot it’ll help a ton.

5. Luether
    9:10 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Agree, Drew. Unimpressive win…

6. RealCatsFan
    9:11 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

They were outscored by 9 in the second half – not acceptable.

If LSU had started their run 5 minutes sooner they would have won.

7. hensley79
    9:11 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

A win is a win!!!! But defense giving up 85 points is not good !!!

8. jim tom
    9:11 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

No expectations moving forward therefore no disappoint come tournament time.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:15 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Look, jim tom crawled out of his cave to troll on KSR again.

• jim tom
      9:18 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Thank you for your comment and sharing your infinite wisdom.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:40 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

No, please, share with all of us your “obviously intelligent and non-inbred redneck insight” into the game. Its hilarious.

• AGSlater
      10:07 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

board still thinks we are #1 seed prob. lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

And you’re still #1 seedy.

9. EdC
    9:12 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Nope. Terrible defense. That was LSU’s 5th highest score of the year. Made unbelievable number of shots in the paint. http://a.espncdn.com/redesign/assets/img/ncaab/bg-court-logo.png

10. Samattox47
    9:13 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

The offense looked better. LSU just got hot from three late in the game. They needed Blakeney to score 31 for them to even be in it. I wouldnt look into it too much.

• UK Maine-iac
      9:24 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

But UK is always allowing some person to go off. It seems like every game, one player lights us up. No different here. It’s a big concern.

11. INCALWETRUST
    9:14 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

We are so snake bite trying to decide who is switching to who, we might as well play a zone. No Im not for a zone. STOP THE BALL!

12. catsarerunnin
    9:15 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Hate to admit it but this team is going in the wrong direction. I’m very concerned but not giving up on them.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      11:41 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know, they seem to have improved offensively for most of the game. Still a lot to work on, but improvement is the right direction. I don’t think they were worse than they’ve been over the last 4 games or so.

13. UK Maine-iac
    9:22 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Letting LSU put up 85 is pathetic. This lack of effort on defense makes games hard to watch. If this doesn’t improve I doubt we get out of the first weekend come tournament time. And seriously what is up with SKJ? Is he in Cal’s dog house? There is no way possible he is worse than Humphries who shouldn’t be allowed to wear a UK jersey. But if he is that bad, yikes.

14. kaintuckterrif
    9:25 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Unimpressed with their unwillingness to put forth the effort necessary during the game to shut players down or at least force them to make difficult shots. When is the last time a KY player has taken a charge? They seem lazy and their play has become too ugly to enjoy.

15. EdC
    9:29 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

The 100th ranked offense just put up 85 on us. After that sinks in remember how many easy shots they missed in the first 10 minutes.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:32 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Stop watching them, then.

Hockey is in full swing.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:38 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

LOL. Look at all the haters and chicken littles crawling out of the woodwork lately.

I’m sure Matt Jones appreciates your patronage!!

HELPING TO GROW THE KSR EMPIRE!!! LOL

• EdC
      9:49 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Look at the same old cheerleader that doesn’t understand the basics doing the same old tired act just name calling like a child every time someone doesn’t agree all is rosy.

• EdC
      9:51 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

You must really hate facts living on hope and emotion.

• catsarerunnin
      9:57 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Hope and change????

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

EdC, have you ever posted one positive comment?

• BluKudzu
      6:38 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

UK Big Board Update February 7, 2017 at 9:38 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)

I’m sure Matt Jones appreciates your patronage!!

HELPING TO GROW THE KSR EMPIRE!!! LOL

This is so funny, did you actually mean to post this?
      Aren’t you doing the same thing you criticize others for doing? Posting an opinion?
      This is why I like you so much. You show everyone how blissfully ignorant you are with every word you type.
      You are right, Matt Jones does appreciate you, and trolls like you, because of your butt hurt, worthless comments and the constant ridicule of others, which help grow that empire.
      You post as much or more as anyone on KSR.
      If you do not wish for KSR to grow, the Card Chronical could use your help.
      You are entertaining, and awkward. Please do not change. Stay ignorant my friend.

16. CATandMONKEY
    9:29 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Good offensive game still missing credible top-25 defense. Dislike the slop and lapses. We can play better and I remain hopeful that we will.
    Wenyen was great. Hotdogging and all.

17. Shiz-Nit
    9:31 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

I know a win is a win, But…. it sure doesn’t feel like a win. Surly not impressed and why the heck is our D suck so much at this point in the season.

18. Rixter
    9:33 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Poor Alabama blew an 8 point lead with 3 minutes left in regulation, then two 5 point leads in triple OT. Game headed to overtime # 4

• Rixter
      9:38 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

and the only way they can get the ball back is if SC knocks it out of bounds. Otherwise Carolina shoots until they make it

• Kevin C
      9:49 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Um…”poor Alabama” won the game. Did you learn nothing from the Super Bowl???

19. jackuss1
    9:33 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

we are the same damn team that played at FL

20. maximumscott
    9:35 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Did you honestly expect a Night Day difference?!?!?! Geeze. Give it time to play out. If GABRIEL contributes regulalry with 2/3 of his effort tonight then we will have an effective half court offense. WILLIS isnt getting it done PERIOD! I noticed our guards driving more to the basket. It opened up a lot of 3 looks and weak side oops.

21. Keith Biggins
    9:39 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

This team is getting hard to watch with this terrible defense. Cal needs to eat their ass every practice until they start showing the effort of his past teams.

• maximumscott
      10:05 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Eat like groceries?

• I love your screen name KB! Very clever. 🙂

• symphonist41169
      8:34 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

He’s exactly right. No way this LSU team should score out of the 50s against our athletes. If Wenyan doesn’t have a career night we would’ve lost that game. Yes, I know Blakeney went unconscious too but when you play against Swiss cheese defense anybody on ANY team is subject to go for 31. We can’t get the fast break points we depend on if the defense can’t stop the other team from scoring.

22. 3wildcat3
    9:44 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Alright, with all the negativity, I’ll go out on a limb. This is a final four team at the least, maybe even a title holder. Should we have beat lsu by more? Yes. Could we have played better D? Yes. But, I’m a fan. I always believe in our Cats. Make fun of me, ridicule the team. Do whatever makes you erect. It’s a great team trying to figure it out. That’s all. I’m not impressed by this win, but I’m not discouraged either. If I’m wrong in march, come and rip me apart, but if I’m right, , all you fairweather johnsons need to admit you overreact and put way too much effort and passion into a game played by kids.

• catsarerunnin
      9:49 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

“Do whatever makes you erect”? Lol!!!

• RealCatsFan
      9:54 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Oh, I’m not giving up on them, but they sure were a lot more fun to watch about six weeks ago. I think most of BBN is trying to figure out what the hell happened, along with the coach.

• maximumscott
      10:07 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

They never knew how to play half court offense. Now they have to learn and they played well first half. As long as they show progression each game Im ok. With our talent growth will happen exponentially

• 3wildcat3
      9:59 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Exactly what I meant to say!!

• UK Maine-iac
      10:00 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Criticizing a team’s weakness doesn’t make people less of a fan. Of course these guys can make a Final 4 or cut down the nets, we’ve seen their potential. But this latest run isn’t an anomaly. They’ve been playing bad for a good stretch. That should concern the John Short-like fans who never offer productive criticism, only blind love. People calling for Cal’s job are dumb, but it’s plenty acceptable for people to have complaints about how the team is playing, especially defense. Doesn’t make them fairweather fans.

• Well said UK Maine-iac. Do you actually live in Maine? I’ve been there once. Would love to go back.

• 3wildcat3
      10:12 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Didn’t say it wrong to criticize their weaknesses, I did it myself. Was just making the point that I love them, win or lose.

• 3wildcat3
      10:15 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

You are 100% right UK Maine iac. As fans we should criticize. We are lucky to be one of the very, very few programs that can tear apart a win. My only point was to say win, lose, or draw, I love Kentucky, and even more, I love my Wildcats!!

• UK Maine-iac
      10:29 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Oh yeah, win or lose, I love UK basketball. Yes, Chris I do live in Maine, have for about ten years. Come on back, we need something besides Red Sox and Patriot fans up here.

23. Rixter
    9:45 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

BAMA wins!

24. RealCatsFan
    9:49 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Sad thing is, we were talking about LAST year’s team playing poor defense. This is two years in a row that we have fiekded teams that cannot defend. What gives?

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

RCF; is fiekded German? What does it mean?
      Hee Haw!

• RealCatsFan
      9:28 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

Verdammtes Auto richtig! 😀

25. chris43
    9:53 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

It’s a win but honestly if we played like this against Florida, South Carolina, or even Tennessee we’d most likely get beat at home. If we play this way we’ll lose to Bama on the road. Defense is horrible giving up tons of easy and open shots. I’ve also wondered what is the deal with SKJ as many have asked? Humphries got decent minutes last year and has quite the reserve role this year. He’s had time to improve but just doesn’t seem to have it. He’ll be a JR next year and I’m willing to bet that he still can’t be counted on as even a quality role player. We have no depth at all this year.

26. 3 fan
    9:58 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

We have not 21′ but almost 28′ of suck in the middle

27. bharlan24
    10:02 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

IT’S TIME FOR SOME KIND OF CHANGE

If your happy with this victory, how about the following.

LSU is next to last in the SEC
    Their record is now 1 and 10 in SEC
    Their overall record is 9 and 14
    Prior to this game they have lost 8 in a row
    Lost at home to to South Carolina by 30
    Lost at home to TX AM by 12
    TX AM beat them at Tex AM by 30.
    I’m of the opinion UK will not make it to the Sweet 16.
    I hope I’m wrong because I am a UK fan for 69 years.

28. AGSlater
    10:05 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Our defense is still non existing near the basket. Wow. Bam needs to come back. We arent getting better. Cal thinks so…

29. maximumscott
    10:08 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

This is still a Final Four Caliber team. Quit freaking out!

30. AGSlater
    10:15 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Id bet the house on Bama beating us

31. hensley79
    10:27 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Go read Gary Parrish article on cbs sports.com!!! He is 100% right!!!

32. blueballs80
    12:10 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

This team will be one and done in the tournament both SEC and NCAA if we play defense like this. Mark it down.

33. Brian in Franklin
    12:16 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

Hey Spring Game is around the corner!

34. satcheluk
    10:40 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

Who da thunk? Can’t wait for football to get here.

35. itsabouttheblue
    11:13 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

A 7 pt win? Against a sry LSU team. Is it really a win. Looking outside the bx.