Kentucky Basketball: The thrill is gone?

Jeff Gross | Getty Images

Jeff Gross | Getty Images

Jeff Gross | Getty Images

Now before you jump through your computer screen and strangle me, let me explain.

I love Kentucky basketball just as much as the next person. Kentucky basketball runs so deep through these veins of mine that I consider it to be my main support system in hurdling these New York City winters.

All of this being said, I sense that the excitement surrounding this 2016 Kentucky basketball season is lacking. Remember the buzz in Lexington prior to the 2009 and 2011 seasons? Remember the tent overflow of Stoll Field?

Matt, Ryan, and Shannon raised a good question on the show yesterday. Knowing that #tentcity wasn’t an overcrowded, Kentucky-basketball-love-fest that we have become so accustomed to, has Kentucky basketball lost its thrill? Have we become so spoiled with year-after-year of greatness that we are now numb to it? This got me thinking. So I took to twitter to see what BBN was saying on the matter.

Football season has the overall fanbase down:

One-and-Done overdose:

BBM Camping restrictions:

Freaking Wisconsin:

Duke:

Other:

For me, the lack of excitement is simple. I am not over the Wisconsin loss. Perhaps because it is still fresh in my memory, the nagging Wisconsin hangover just Won’t. Go. Away.

You hate Duke. I hate Duke. For once, I feel threatened going into a season. Duke is going to be so good and there’s nothing we can do about it. The sheer thought of Duke sitting atop the College Basketball rankings makes me sick. Sue me!

While recent postseason play by Kentucky has left us with feelings of emptiness and the looming question of “what if?”, I have to remind myself how difficult it truly is to win a College Basketball National championship.

When was the last time the favorite, or even the second favorite, won the NCAA title? You would have to go all the way back to 2012 and our beloved Wildcats. The agony of a 68-team bracket where the champion has to win six-straight games makes March a casual basketball fan’s dream, but a Kentucky fan’s nightmare. They don’t call it March Madness for nothing.

Look around at other sports. The best team in College Football typically wins the title every year. The best-out-of-seven-game playoff format helps to ensure that the best team wins the NBA, NHL, and MLB titles more often than not. The NFL is a bit different where the top four teams tend to make their AFC and NFC championships. Once you get to the SuperBowl, however, it’s anyone’s game.

Sure, as Kentucky fans we expect to win the National Championship every year. This is how you and I like it. Regardless of the obstacles the month of March throws at us, like Cal says, “We are college basketball.”

Readers of KSR, BBN: what do you think of this matter? Why do you feel that the fanbase has been less enthusiastic leading into the 2016 season? Unleash your comments and opinions in the comment section.

Follow me @colleenwag_KSR

Article written by CWag

22 Comments for Kentucky Basketball: The thrill is gone?

1. sincitycat
    1:15 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

As much as I hate to admit it, I still am not over the Wisconsin loss. It is second only to the loss to Texas Western in 1966. That said, let’s go get (as The Beatles would say) Number Nine.

2. Chesters Daddy
    1:18 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

It’s stoops he has people down but personally I can not wait and I think a lot of it is also coach k fans was always pumped cause we was always 1st in recruiting last 2 years Duke has took multiple recruits from us

• The REAL Billy Hill
      3:44 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Anybody care to translate this…?

• Chesters Daddy
      5:30 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Lol is that all u do read people’s post and correct Grammer u dumb shit if u can’t understand due to a coma missing after coach k than what the hell you on here for

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:52 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

I’M THE DUMB SHIT?!?!?! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

3. jch67
    1:26 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

I would have to agree, it just doesn’t seem the same as Cal’s first few years. To me, trying to figure out who’s on the team each year has become tedious – I know, how can you complain about cycling NBA talent in and out every year… That coupled with the lack of suspense – we know we’re a top 5 team at the least, and getting excited for the regular season is not as easy as it was a few years back.

That or I’m just getting too old…

4. TorpedoVegas
    1:57 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Really looking forward to this season. I have a feeling this years team is going to be damn good.

5. BigPerm
    2:16 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Omg who are all these new writers and why do we need so many?? I though Tipton works for the newspaper. Trying to click bait us with sensational allegations is cheap and we deserve better.

• Neal Orac
      2:28 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Agree. I immediately thought of click bait. 1/10

6. Neal Orac
    2:30 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Also, comparing the “author” to Tipton is spot on. This is exactly like something he’d write. Crazy how KSR used to mock Tipton, now they rely on his cheap tactics.

7. UKBlueGreen
    2:39 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know if it is click bait or cheap tactics. They may be trying to shift from all the football talk. If our coaches don’t have any personal or work related issues, I’m good.

8. terwilliger
    3:01 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

For me, it comes down to the lack of upperclassmen leadership. I love Derek Willis, but can he be as big a factor this year as Darius Miller was in 2012? I love Briscoe and Humphries, but can they be as good as Jones and Lamb? As of right now they are not. And even WITH all those great players, we still needed a once-in-a-generation type player in Anthony Davis to win it all.

I have no doubt this will be an exciting season, with some big time wins and, hopefully, no injuries and a deep tournament run. And I’m pumped for it. But it seems to me that coach K has figured out you need more than just the top talent — you need solid, experience role players as well. When Cal can put that type of roster together again, I’ll be much more confident.

9. runningunnin.454
    3:05 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Well, post a comment about this cry-baby author from NYC and the sniveling whining tweeters and you’re moderated. Figures.
    CATS RULE!

10. runningunnin.454
    3:08 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

So what was the “trigger” for the moderation?
    Whining, sniveling, sissies?\
    Hey, I didn’t use Pu$$ies.

11. Jiminy Crickets
    6:42 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

combination of all:
    1. Although we wont admit it, we have seen that Cal needs the most talent to win big. We are really talented, but not to the level we are accustomed
    2. Duke is super talented, and we know how that turns out
    3. there’s no favorite player
    4. Football sucks
    5. We all know UK will struggle early, lose games they “shouldn’t lose”, and hope it all “comes together”.

all that being said, I think UK is definitely a top 5 team, and just pray Duke and Coach K fall on their face

12. @GoCayts
    7:05 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

The Wisconsin game gets me … the fact that we can have such an awesome team but be beaten by bad officiating and come away without the title … bleh

Trying to learn to just enjoy the season and not expect a title like a normal, rational fan in another fanbase I guess.

• runningunnin.454
      8:59 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

The Wisconsin game was all on Cal; he took our foot off the gas when the Badgers were gasping for breath and watching the clock. It happens….like when Petino didn’t cover the inbounds pass to Laettner.
      However I’ll take Cal over any other coach in the country….he gives us that title expectation every year, and that is special.

• @GoCayts
      6:40 am October 3, 2016 Permalink

I agree he let up when we had them tired, but I’m not going to agree that game was “all on Cal”. We couldn’t get it to Towns late and had some bad possessions, Ulis/Booker had bad games, etc. But with all that, I still think we would have won with an even game.

13. 3 fan
    8:48 pm October 2, 2016 Permalink

Total team turnover hurts. When one or none return hard to get as excited for people you haven’t seen.

Football has sucked the life force out of the fans. I hate being a U.K. Football fan

It was a boring summer. No summer tour. No “returning Cats” game. Extremely boring by Cal standards

• The REAL Billy Hill
      11:33 am October 3, 2016 Permalink

“The knowledgeable fan knows we should have won more than one NC since Cal arrived.”

You’re an idiot.

• 3 fan
      1:53 pm October 3, 2016 Permalink

I would be upset Billy Hill but its from you so it’s no sweat. You are a jerk and a stupid one at that