Kentucky basketball officially posts two assistant coach job openings

John Calipari is ready to hire two new assistant coaches.

Following the departures of Tony Barbee and Joel Justus – the former took the head coaching job at Central Michigan and the latter became the lead assistant coach on Bobby Hurley’s staff at Arizona State – the Kentucky basketball program has posted two job openings to find their replacements.

The first? A full-time assistant coaching position, one that includes on-court coaching and off-campus recruiting, the role Justus previously held.

“To assist the Head Coach in the administration of a Division I Men’s Basketball Program,” the job description reads. “Duties include but not limited to the following: assist in coaching, recruiting, basketball camps, academic and personnel support, and all necessary administrative work as assigned by Head Coach.”

The second, however, is an off-court, on-campus recruiting role, the position Barbee previously held. This job also includes game planning, scouting, assisting with camps, and academic support, among other requirements.

“Duties include but are not limited to the following: game plan and scout future opponents to provide strategy for countable coaches to implement during practice and competition; on-campus recruiting and limited recruiting correspondence; basketball camps; academic and personnel support; and, all necessary administrative work as assigned by Head Coach,” the description reads.

The deadline to apply for both is May 3.

For comparison’s sake, UK posted the job opening for Jai Lucas’ special assistant to the head coach/recruiting coordinator role on August 20, 2020 and finalized a deal with him just four days later on August 24. The school officially announced the hire on August 31. Calipari then shuffled coaching roles in September, giving Lucas an on-court assistant coaching job and moving Barbee off the court as an associate to the head coach.

The same is expected to happen with Kentucky’s upcoming coaching moves, with Illinois assistant coach Orlando Antigua expected to take the on-court coaching position and fellow Illinois assistant Chin Coleman rumored to take the off-court coaching position, at least initially. Another shuffling of roles would likely lead to Coleman moving into a full-time coaching and recruiting role, with current UK assistant Bruiser Flint sliding over to take Barbee’s old job as associate to the head coach.

Do you think you have what it takes to be an assistant coach at Kentucky? Here are the questions being asked on the job postings:

1. How many years of experience do you have recruiting collegiate athletes at the national level?
    • None
    • More than 0, up through 1 year
    • More than 1 year, up through 3 years
    • More than 3 years, up through 5 years
    • More than 5 years
  2. How many years of experience do you have coaching basketball at the high school, collegiate, or professional level?
    • None
    • More than 0, up through 1 year
    • More than 1 year, up through 3 years
    • More than 3 years, up through 5 years
    • More than 5 years
  3. As part of the Southeastern Conference, candidates considered for staff or coaching positions within UK Athletics are required to disclose any unethical conduct. Please answer the below questions regarding your personal NCAA record. Have you ever been charged with a violation of NCAA 10.1 Unethical Conduct by the NCAA or any NCAA member institution?
  4. Have you ever been charged with a NCAA Level I, II or III, secondary or major violation?
  5. Are you currently involved in any pending NCAA investigation, charges and/or violations of NCAA legislation?
  6. Has the NCAA Committee on Infractions ever issued you show-cause penalty?
  7. If you answered yes, to either of the previous two questions, please list all violations in which you’ve been charged or were involved. If you answered no to both of the previous questions please type: N/A(Open Ended Question)
  8. I agree to and understand that failure to disclose any NCAA violation or false information regarding my NCAA compliance history will result in removal of my application for consideration.

You may not be a fit in the experience categories, but you’re certainly more qualified for the jobs than, say, Sean Miller, Will Wade or Bill Self in the others.

The dominoes continue to fall.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

43 Comments for Kentucky basketball officially posts two assistant coach job openings

1. nocode96
    7:13 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

I guess they only posted these AFTER virginiacat and a few others from the KSR comment section turned the positions down? I have to assume they were over qualified given their extreme levels of expertise in the area.

• Bluehender
      7:28 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

We have several commenters who should apply…

• VirginiaCat
      8:54 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Your comments sting, NoCode, but somehow, someway, I think I will be able to move forward with my life.

• just a guy
      9:09 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Nocode, can you roll over and wake up KYfan4ever? I think y’all are late for the CalsNuts conference. Maybe while you’re in there you can apply. You seem like a good Yes man, should be perfect

• runningunnin.454
      9:13 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

They called me; but, I just have too much to do around the house. I’m sure they will find someone with the same 57 year coaching experience.

• just a guy
      9:37 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Maybe on the way to the conference you can swing by and pick up BigBoardUpdate, you know like you, yourself and Irene. Shouldn’t be difficult, you’d likely not even have to leave the driveway

• UK Big Board Update
      9:52 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Awwww. Stay mad. LOL

• UK Big Board Update
      9:59 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

lmao – I haven’t posted on this site in damn near two years, and I’m STILL living in your head. Hilarious.

• runningunnin.454
      10:04 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Just a guy, oh oh, ,you’ve done it now, ha ha ha
      You don’t tug on superman’s cape
      You don’t piss into the wind
      You don’t pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, and
      You don’t mess around with…Big Board. Ha ha ha.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:39 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Running, you’ve always been one of the good guys in my book…..

• 4everUKBlue
      12:50 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Awww justaguy, you need some preparation H and aloe? Poor baby boy….lmao! You obviously weren’t talking about me but you and Loooother are my two favorites with your sources.

• runningunnin.454
      4:04 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Ha ha, BB; just picking on you a little. Where you been, off serving our country?

2. Buck Naked
    7:56 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Welp, I guess it’s time for me to step up and get this train back on the tracks…

3. Billy Jenkins
    8:50 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Offseason drama in full swing!

4. panicpat
    9:06 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

I agree with you Virginia. Nocode has a bad habit of belittling anybody who has a different opinion then him.

5. Blueballz
    9:15 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

They forgot two bullet points on the posting:
    -must know zero inbounds plays where the team looks to score
    -must know zero zone offenses/or offenses in general

• UK Big Board Update
      9:55 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

I hear Trump is looking for a job. LOL

• bosch8184
      11:12 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Knowledge of shooting mechanics only slightly encouraged, but definitely not a requirement.

6. ClutchCargo
    9:54 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Not sure why there has to be all the disparaging comments based on this article. lol It’s just a hoop a public university has to jump through to officially hire somebody.

• runningunnin.454
      10:05 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

C’mon Clutch, party pooper, we’s having fun.

• WKY Cat
      10:10 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Clutch because we have blind loyalist on both sides.

• Megan
      6:39 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

The same thing struck me, Clutch. They have to post the opening to pretend it’s open to everyone and everyone has the same opportunity to apply and be considered, when in truth they’ve already decided who they want. Apparent fairness and plausible deniability. Gotta go through the motions.

How weird would it be for Illinois to lose TWO assistant coaches to Kentucky? It’s like Kentucky can come in and take your prized possessions, and there’s really nothing you can do about it except make it a little more expensive for Kentucky to empty your cupboards. If it happens, I kind of feel for them.

7. secrick
    10:16 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

I may apply way under qualified though but did sleep at holiday inn express last night.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Anyone with “SEC” in his name has to be qualified. Or maybe you can apply as an SEC ref. How’s your vision? 😉

8. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Hmmm, it didn’t say anything about being able to stand on the sideline to yell “GO!” I guess Cal still isn’t ready to delegate that duty. 😉

• makeitstop
      2:31 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

My favorite is “What are you DOING?” But that’s hard to hear sometimes bc we are all yelling it together lol. And yes, that’s the head coach’s job, bc if an assistant yelled it, the HC would respond “if u don’t know, how would he?”

9. Kentucky Gentleman
    10:21 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Barbee and Justus each took a higher level position at another program which looks like a move up for each of them.
    Cal said after the season that he would be looking at making some changes with the program so I am curious if these moves are at all a result of Cal letting Barbee and Justus know that they needed to find a new job, or if they landed these other jobs on their own and the shakeup kind of worked itself out. Seems like it could be a win-win-win for everyone involved.

• WKY Cat
      10:41 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

Gentlemen….zero knowledge on my behalf but I’m thinking they were told to start looking knowing other coaches were being hired. But Cal wanted them to get good jobs so kept everything under wraps.

• bosch8184
      11:13 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

plural noun: fall guys
      a scapegoat.
      “he contends that he is innocent, that he was set up as a fall guy”

• VirginiaCat
      11:23 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

No doubt that there was behind the scenes activity. Cal is not going to replace a coach without finding a soft landing that preserves the coach’s reputation. In my professional experience, it’s rare to fire someone outright. You give them time to find another position and help in the process. When a new job is found, you announce the move in a positive manner, i.e., the employee is moving on to a more challenging position.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:49 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Now other teams have to buy out us instead of us paying a buyout, means more money towards our new assistants.

10. mikeintn
    10:45 am April 27, 2021 Permalink

I hear Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama is looking for a job.LOL

• UK Big Board Update
      12:45 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Well, that’s because Clinton, Bush, and Obama served two full terms. LMAO

I wasn’t alive for Carter, but I hear he’s still helping the unfortunate by building houses for them. The recent guy is down at his retirement home in Florida receiving made-up participation trophies for losing the White House, Senate, and House in one term. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      4:01 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

And he still lives in your head. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      4:02 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

In all fairness though, kudos to Carter for that. He was an awful president, but I appreciate him doing that.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:59 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Sorry for your loss. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:55 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Me too!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:57 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

And touche!

11. makeitstop
    2:26 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Most head coaches don’t make as much as our assistants. CMU paid the last guy about $300k in the most recent disclosure. Barbee made at least $400k at UK (that salary was reported 4 years ago). KP made almost $1m. So, I’d say they had a “hardest job a coach has to do” conversation w the head ball coach, and concluded they needed to move on. There’s always a mid major job for an assistant a top 10 resume and no level 1’s.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:52 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Meaning we get the buyout to help pay the guys.

12. Middy
    3:23 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

Look at what the Knicks are doing with KP in town. It wasn’t who was on the bench. It was who wasn’t. Some of the players didn’t live up to expectations, but good coaching gets the most out of their talent.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:57 pm April 27, 2021 Permalink

That’s my feelings on it. Cal’s a good coach but he lost the best in game adjuster on the staff. When Cal would get ejected KP would quietly slide over and win the game.

13. UKkathy
    1:53 pm April 28, 2021 Permalink

The last season aside, the absolute worst decision Cal ever made was to let KP get away. I am happy for him with the Knicks; but I surely do miss him. I hope some day he will come back to Kentucky as our head coach. I am very apprehensive about this upcoming season. I don’t trust Cal since 2015 as it has steadily gone downhill ever since.