Kentucky an early national championship favorite for next season

If you’re like me and doing your best to pretend tonight’s national championship doesn’t exist, let’s look ahead to next year, shall we? The 2018 National Championship will be held in San Antonio, Texas, and according to oddsmakers at the Westgate in Las Vegas, your University of Kentucky Wildcats are the current favorites at 10/1…alongside Duke and Louisville.

From @Covers:

C8gX5uPXUAABmmJ

Of course, this is entirely premature, and I don’t recommend putting money down on a team that will be made up of 90% freshmen…but, next year will be the 20-year anniversary of the 1998 national championship, which also took place in San Antonio; that’s gotta be a good omen, right? Or, at least an excuse for me to share “One Shining Moment” from that season:

Never gets old.

23 Comments for Kentucky an early national championship favorite for next season

1. maximumscott
    4:36 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Alot of schools in the top 10 who are losing key pieces to their team. UNC possibly 50% of team leaving, Duke samething, Oregon samething, Nova Samething. UK is the only school to prove that they can rebuild and reload.

2. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    4:38 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

I stopped reading when I saw Indiana at 20/1

3. JTGinter
    4:51 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Im not going to get my hopes up….

4. Jiminy Crickets
    4:58 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Louisville is likely returning everyone except Mitchell, and even he may come back if Pitino has anything to do with it. UL will be preseason top 3, and will be loaded. Does anyone ever leave early at UL? Mitchell is projected #21 and had best season of his career, as a JUNIOR, meaning his stock will never be higher, and Pitino said if he doesnt go top 20 he should return.

• KYcats11
      5:04 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

UL fan??

• Lip Man 1
      5:04 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

By next year UL may have the hammer dropped on it by the NCAA and be ineligible to compete.

• 4everblue
      5:36 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Yeah the NCAA has been swift to act in dropping the hammer on UNC so I’m sure they will be tough on UofL too…. I’ll believe it when I see it. ACC…It just costs more….

• catlaska
      5:41 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Pitino is an odd duck. Obviously not tuned in. Hope Mitchell figures it out.

• catsarerunnin
      5:47 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Please don’t insult ducks…

• RexRox
      6:28 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Can’t see Mitchell coming back. loserville will still be tough however.

5. MattRice
    5:03 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Indiana at 20/1….. they aren’t losing much, but they aren’t gaining much either. That team fell apart and now they have a new coach, I’m not so sure about that one.

Louisville seems kinda high at 10/1 as well.

6. Kfckernel
    5:06 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

As long as we don’t have to play the Championship game in the Great 8. Hope they use Cal’s “S” curve and not put UK in the bracket of death again or get a WWF referee to call the games.

• catlaska
      5:42 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. Whats the S curve mean exactly?

• dballrb
      6:24 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

No doubt, EVERY year “our” championship game is the regional final.2014 was brutal. I think we spent ourselves just getting to the final.

7. SoCalCat
    5:25 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Maybe I don’t have Blue enough glasses on, but I expect next year to be brutal in terms of regular season record compared to the past. I would be surprised at a top tier seeding. Cal may be losing more sleep than normal next year.

8. UKALLDAY1
    5:26 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Who cares about this, Vegas does not consider officiating or NCAA seedings and draw. It was the officials (John Higgins mainly) that have cost us 2 out of the last 3 championships the Wisconsin game in 2015 and this years AWFUL UNC game, they took two baskets (4 points) away from us and we lost by 2 points, that plus about a billion other blown/bad calls we were robbed. Officials play such a crucial role in these games, they too are in the Vegas sports book. UNC won with the Whistle vs Arkansas and UK. Then of course we are going to get the toughest draw, like every year.

• dballrb
      6:22 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Louis-ville will be aleight that’s about it.

9. CatBlue in LR
    5:29 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

The song says, “The ball is TIPPED…”

10. RICKSVD
    5:52 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Anyone who watched UL this season knows mangok was their best inside player both offense and defensively. If Mitchel leaves, they are a bubble team. Any team who’s sarting big man is anus, is in trouble. With Mitchel, they still won’t hit this year’s win total. Don’t sleep on the shockers.

11. woodeaglevigil
    12:39 am April 4, 2017 Permalink

From a historical perspective, UK or Kansas should be the favorites for next year, especially UK. Other than UCLA winning it in 1968, it has either been UK or Kansas that has won it when the year ends in an 8, with UK winning 4 of their 8 during years that end in 8 (1948, 1958, 1978, 1998) while Kansas won 2 of their 3 in 1988 and 2008. Plus, other than the 10-year gap between 1948 and 19558 titles for UK, there have been 20-year gaps between UK’s championship wins for those years that end in 8 (58, 78, 98). So, going by these patterns, it should be UK’s for 2018.

NOTE: I do know the NCAA Tournament is totally random and anything can happen. So, anyone could actually win it in 2018.

12. woodeaglevigil
    12:41 am April 4, 2017 Permalink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_champions – link listing NCAA Champions since first one in 1939