Kentucky already a heavy favorite vs. Northern Kentucky

With all of the talk about Kentucky’s bracket, let’s refocus on the first game they play, vs. our neighbors to the north, the Northern Kentucky Norse. On Sunday night, Kentucky opened as a 19-point favorite, and now, the spread is up to 20.5.

Meanwhile, if you missed it, here’s the Norse’s reaction to finding out they’ll face Kentucky in the first round:

Yeah, I’d say they’re pretty pumped.

12 Comments for Kentucky already a heavy favorite vs. Northern Kentucky

1. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I have to give NKU credit for having one of the best mascots in the tournament. 🙂

• Big DAWG Loggin
      5:14 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but the CATS will have that ole Victor E. Viking’s goldilocks in a mascot-man-bun before it’s over.

2. bballdoc
    10:24 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Too bad NKU was matched with UK, because many, many people would have cheered for them to beat anyone else. This is a breakout accomplishment for a new program in Kentucky. Not every high school player can go on to a power 5 conference team. Think of what this does for NKU’s recruiting pitch.

3. ukgags86
    10:40 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Didn’t we also have to play Eastern Kentucky in the first round one year. I don’t follow NKU or EKU but with the exception of Louisville, these are great situations where UK fans would root patiently for another local team. Seems like the tournament committees thinks they can manufacture excitement and intrigue when I feel like there would have been a lot more with them playing anyone except UK. BBN would have come out for NKU via ratings and the tournament committee took away that opportunity. Bummer!

• Mathlete
      11:07 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I’m pretty sure been paired with every other D-1 school in Kentucky (except maybe Morehead State) at some point

• Adam From Awesome Trot
      12:25 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Murray State is now again the only Div I team that UK hasn’t played. We played Morehead State in 2012, and 9 other times.

• Adam From Awesome Trot
      12:28 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I mean Div 1 team in Kentucky

• Mathlete
      1:20 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, that one. Morehead, Murray, tomayto, tomahto.

4. kuhlkat
    11:02 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Good Lord…this is low hanging fruit. No way UK doesn’t cover this spread. NKU is way too slow and short to stay within 20. Even Brad playing won’t effect this easy cover

• Mathlete
      11:09 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I wonder if we’ll see a lot of Sacha, Tai, and the walk-ons this game? Now that the performance metrics don’t matter at all anymore I’d see it as advantageous to keep our legs fresh for Sunday’s game if we’re given the chance

5. RackEmWillie
    12:29 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

This is the one game I didn’t want in the first round.

I’m not an NKU fan, but I really was excited for them to make it this year and I wanted them to play literally anyone else.

But, it’s still a great chance for their program and to get some good exposure. It’s something their players will remember for the rest of their lives.

6. Luether
    7:19 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Just have fun and don’t get anyone hurt in this game…