Kentucky a two-seed in the Midwest in ESPN’s latest Bracketology

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 12.00.38 PM

Yesterday, ESPN’s Joe Lunardi said he believes Kentucky will be a two-seed after their win over Florida, and in this morning’s latest Bracketology, he has them as a two-seed in the Midwest Region along with Kansas (1), Arizona (3), and Duke (4):

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.12.06 AM

Vanderbilt is the last team in in this scenario, giving the SEC five teams in the Big Dance: Kentucky (2), Florida (3), South Carolina (7), Arkansas (9), and Vandy (12). Tennessee is currently the fifth team out with two games left in the regular season (@ LSU and vs. Alabama).

The four 1-seeds? Kansas (Midwest), Villanova (East), Gonzaga (West), and North Carolina (South). So, yes, Villanova and Gonzaga are still 1-seeds after losing this week.

Which 1-seed would you like to see Kentucky paired up with the most?

[ESPN]

32 Comments for Kentucky a two-seed in the Midwest in ESPN’s latest Bracketology

1. 8xchamp
    10:26 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

So the same geek that said no way we could be a 2 seed, has had a 2 seed the last two brackets. Only thing I see is we will definitely be in the toughest region

2. Catsby80
    10:29 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

to answer your question, i’d love to see us in Gonzaga’s bracket, but we all know well and good that ain’t gonna happen…

riddle me this, how in the world is Duke still a 4 seed when they lost both of their games this week?

• catsarerunnin
      10:46 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Because they are dUKe. Nuff said.

• J-Dub421
      2:00 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

How does he have #7 Arizona as a 3 seed? They’re ranked ahead of us right now.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:29 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

I would take that Midwest scenario right now and be happy with it.

4. CJTabb
    10:36 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

I would take this bracket. Only other one seed I would rather have is Gonzaga obviously.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

My reason for liking this Midwest setup has more to do with the 3 – 16 slots. Gonzaga will have a hell of a time getting to the final 4, imho, if that West region falls into place as predicted.

5. az1006
    10:39 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

The only 1 seed I don’t want to see is UNC. Let’s be honest…It took an historic effort from Monk for us to scratch by in that one, and I don’t want anything to do with them. Any of the others, we’ll see where the chips fall.

Go Cats.

6. BBNBRIAN
    10:42 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Nope… No Louisville or West Virginia – not happening.

7. Sentient Third Eye
    10:45 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

In terms of quality, I see no real difference between being a 1, 2 or 3 this year. Things are so balanced this year and there are no really good teams, does it really matter as much as some years? I say this year it is more important to avoid a handful of teams that are getting hot at the right time (all of whom could be from a 1 to a 4 seed).

8. AllBlueAllDay
    10:47 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Me personally I don’t know that I want to see Arizona as the 3 seed. They have a really good guard with trier that I’m sure would drop a career high on us. That being said I feel much more confident after Saturday. So let’s get this team to full health and go full speed ahead into March madness.

9. Bill the Cat
    11:14 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Can someone send him a second picture to hang on that empty hook on the wall?!

On a serious note, we will have at least 2 of the following in our bracket: West Virginia, Wisconsin, Louisville or Duke.

10. EdC
    11:28 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Lunardi’s predictions are as bad as his wigs.

11. plumloopy
    11:32 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

How is UCLA a 3? I just don’t get it. They beat us on our home floor, I couldn’t convince anyone we deserve it more than they do. Two of their three losses are to top 10 teams and both of which they avenged. They’ve got three wins against the top 10, two were away.

I think the Cats can earn a 2 by winning out, which is entirely possible, but UCLA have a 3? I don’t get it.

• Mc12
      12:11 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

The only thing I can think of, and I may be wrong is that they favor Oregon and Gonzaga and since he favors Gonzago over Oregon, and Oregon over UCLA keeping UCLA at a 3 and not a 2 allows them to play the opening two games in Sacramento closer to home. I also believe the #’s don’t do their OOC rankings much justice.

• JoeMoney333
      1:23 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Most have said it’s their SoS that is holding UCLA back. Past the top 2 other teams in the PAC12 the league is bad and their OoC schedule was in the 250’s

12. AndTheDevil
    11:56 am February 27, 2017 Permalink

Before we all wish for Gonzaga, let’s look at some Zag facts. The Zags are 3-0 against the RPI top 25. One of those wins was beating Florida at Florida, something UK couldn’t do. Gonzaga has won its conference games by an average of 27.7 points. For reference points, the Kentucky Wildcats beat Stephen F. Austin, Duquenseque, Cleveland State, Tennessee Martin and Hofstra (all teams around on part with your average WCC team) by an average of 27.2 point. The Zags shoot. They shoot 50% from 3, 73% on FT, and 50+% on all shots. They have a big who might be one of the few people Bam can’t out muscle. Dude is a Hoss.

Not saying we couldn’t beat them, but not saying they couldn’t beat us either. They’re pretty good at the things we’re not very good at defending.

• bourbonlover
      12:11 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Gonzaga didn’t win at Florida, they beat them in a holiday tournament.

Also this presupposes that the team got no better since the beginning of the year when we played these teams you referenced.

I don’t argue that they are not a good team, they obviously are, but the supporting facts are shaky at best.

• AndTheDevil
      1:13 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

You’re right the AdvoCare Invitational is held in Orlando which isn’t in Florida at all.

• catsarerunnin
      1:56 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Yeah Orlando is in Disneyworld not Florida.

13. Mc12
    12:17 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

I hear you. Just wanted to add that Gonzaga beat Florida in the state of Florida, but not in Gainesville.

14. TreyTingle
    12:31 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Mark my words. No matter what Joe Lunardi says UK will be place in either the toughest bracket, or the bracket that has the most potential rematches. With that being said, watch Duke will ultimately be out West in Gonzaga’s bracket most likely, never fails.

• fauxbobknight
      1:19 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

give it a rest already..do you think people like being placed in our bracket?

• JoeMoney333
      1:22 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

First, no one is marking your words. You’re not that important.
      Second, the brackets are done by region and location. It’s why UL, IU and WV often end up in the same bracket as UK. They are usually close to the same regional location. Add in the fact that the MW often has good basketball and UK’s bracket tends to look more difficult. Compare that to a west bracket where regionally the teams are weaker. This is common knowledge at this point.

• catsarerunnin
      2:01 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Ohhhh so that explains why dUKe,regardless of their seed,usually plays in their backyard. It’s “region and location”. That clears up years of confusion and frustration. Thank you Mr. Money.

15. Game Changer
    1:01 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

So much parity this year that any 1-4 seed could win the whole thing this year… having said that people don’t realize how good Gonzaga is… towards that end I would take Providence bracket…. they won’t repeat. Kansas is in my opinion the favorite to win the whole thing!!!

• Game Changer
      1:03 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Sorry I meant to say the Villanova bracket!!

• Eazy
      1:18 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Kansas was the favorite last year, too. They will choke again.

• Game Changer
      3:25 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

Teams most likely to win the whole thing:
      1st tier- Kansas, UCLA, NC
      2nd tier- Arizona, Kentucky, Gonzaga
      Dark horses: West Virginia, FSU, UF, Louisville
      Over-Rated: Duke, Villanova, any Big 10 team

Most likely scenario: Kansas will win the whole thing, UCLA will be Final Four team, North Carolina will be in the championship game, UK will either go out in the round of 16 or in the Final Four (all riding on Monk and Bam), Duke could lose in the second round, Pitino will flip out at someone or something!!!

16. 8 god
    1:58 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

TT, this is such a great and derpy picture. I want to see it every day.

17. 96ChampionBestTeamEver
    5:15 pm February 27, 2017 Permalink

KU because I think it would be hard to beat us twice. Looking at the above scenario we’d have a lot to worry about besides KU.