Kenny Walker has some high praise for Julius Randle

Julius Randle

Kenny Walker recently watched the new Cats practice, and gave Julius Randle some very high praise in a conversation with Larry Glover. Walker said that he thinks Randle is the most talented player to come to UK since Shawn Kemp.

Of course, Kemp never officially got to play for the Cats (he signed a letter of intent and enrolled, only to fail the SAT and later leave the team after being accused of pawning two gold chains that had been reported stolen from his teammate Sean Sutton); however, he did practice with the team often, and of course, went on to become an NBA All-Star and slam dunk legend. Kemp still considers himself a Cat and even designed a pair of shoes for Reebok named “Letter of Intent.”

I’ll take it.

15 Comments for Kenny Walker has some high praise for Julius Randle

1. kyfrydaddy
    6:44 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Is there a link for the full interview Tyler?

2. Pre mature
    6:56 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

It just moved

3. Skyknowsbest
    7:19 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

When I saw Wiggins play in person, I said best high school recruit I’ve seen live since “Shawn Kemp.” Sky played a lot of pick up with Kemp, and if he says Randle is that good, I’m ready for one hell of ride this season!

4. Louie Dampier
    7:35 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Randle will be one of the best 5 players to ever play at Kentucky. I’d much rather have him than Wiggins. Not even close. And Julius is a major competitor. He’ll just keep on keepin on,..like the Energizer bunny. Talent, heart, and soul,..he is The Maine. I just hope he stays out of foul trouble in the big games,..Florida, Tenn, Dirty Birds, Tarheels, etc.

5. RealTalkk
    7:39 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Wow, the praise that Randle is getting left and right is just ridiculous! I absolutely cannot wait for this season to begin!!!

6. bmt22033
    7:42 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is gonna be great and I still wish he’d chosen UK. When Cal was still recruiting for this class, I tried to watch as much of the AAU, skills camp, etc. footage that I could from all the players UK was targeting (and certainly Wiggins and Randle). That’s the sole basis for my opinion and as good as he appeared to be, I didn’t share the feeling that Wiggins was going to be the second coming of MJ or LeBron like some people have claimed. He might ultimately prove me wrong but I can’t help but feel like there’s a lot of over-the-top hype surrounding him right now and it’s gotten to the point that I’m not sure he can really live up to it. I’m not sure that *any* player could live up to it, honestly. But I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if Randle’s name is in the mix for the #1 overall draft pick a year from now.

7. JRock1966
    8:11 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

And Willie Cauley-Stein will be on the front line with him…holy!

8. Kim Sutherland
    8:28 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Shawn Kemp stole Sean Sutton’s gold chains?!! That makes him an honorary Cat in my book!

9. Wildcatsteeler
    9:10 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

After Wiggins wilts under the pressure of having to be “the guy” for Kansas, Randle will have a dominant season and be the #1 pick. Mark it down now.

10. bosshog
    9:17 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

My feeling has been that if he can shoot decent percentage on his jump shot, Randle will be the most consistently dominant offensive force we’ve seen at UK since Mashburn. With Randle’s all-around game and competitive fire to anchor them, I think this team has the potential to be the best we’ve ever seen at UK (yes, including the 96 team). Now we just need to see if they can come together and tap that potential in very quick order.

11. jmfatz47
    10:10 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

We are really lucky to have Julius Randle. We get to watch him go out and show the world why he is the number #1 pick and one of the best UK players of all time. I have never seen a player with the potential to be so physically dominant (a different type of dominant than Davis). Based on the landscape of current college hoops and this kids ability and drive, it will be truly amazing to watch.

12. Troy
    10:17 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

I watched Kemp play with UK that summer, and I can’t tell you what high praise this is. Kemp did things that I STILL haven’t seen people do to this day. This is amazing news.

13. bigcatstanding
    10:43 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

#6 very good post #8 Thanks for showing your jealousy by taking a rumor and making it fact. I’ll guarantee you that Randle if not number one will not drop any lower than the 2 spot. it will not reflect on him not being the best, but because someone will need a skinny jumper rather than a strong big man with all the skills. Randle reminds me of Jamal Mashburn on steroids, the only area where I think Mashburn was better was from deep. Randles ball skills are far superior to any big man in the class, so good that wouldn’t be afraid for him to handle the ball at any time and start our offense. Believe me when I say this, there is no one on one advantage for anyone against Randle when he has the ball. when the isolation happens it will be embarrassing, Randle will break them down and dunk on any player in college basketball. BBN OWNS YOU YA YOU LOL

14. bigcatstanding
    11:00 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

#4 this team is so loaded there’s no way he ever gets in foul trouble, because great players can just keep taking the floor. Never in my 48 years of life have I scene a team with this much talent, I really believe that these players are here for the right reasons, to play as a team and bring home a championship, almost every player has said so that it’s not about playing time it’s about doing something great. GO BIG BLUE.

15. Blue Leather
    6:34 am September 5, 2013 Permalink

bigcatstanding, I agree. I am older than 48,by a few years, LOL, and agree on how loaded this team is. I for one am looking forward to the journey that this team will take us on.