Kenny Payne said it best: “Alex is playing unbelievable”

DSC01944

The Bahamas have been good to Alex Poythress. Alex is the team’s leading scorer through four exhibitions, putting up 60 points, 20 of them today. His confidence is sky high, higher than it’s ever been during his time at Kentucky, and it shows. After the game, Kenny Payne said that when Alex returned to school for his junior year, he vowed to prove he’s one of the best forwards in the country, and he’s doing it:

I’m proud of Alex. Alex is playing unbelievable. He just has to continue to play with confidence. I’m not surprised at all. Again, I said it the other day: He came back to show people that he’s one of the best forwards in the country. As of today, he’s showing it. He’s showing it. His skills have gotten better. He made two threes today. He’s rebounding the ball. He’s playing with confidence. We can’t ask anymore of him.”

When asked if he returned to school to prove everyone wrong, Alex said yes, and that he’s putting in the extra time to take his game to a different level. “Yeah, that is the reason I came back. I want to prove I’m still one of the best,” Poythress told us. “I’m just trying to show the world, doing it on the court, doing it when I’m in the gym by myself. I’m just trying to work on my craft.”

How is the new Alex different than the old Alex? Payne said that Alex has changed his whole mindset, and is in “attack mode”:

“He’s in more of an attack mode. Whenever he gets it, he’s looking to attack more. And also he’s just playing to his strengths and he’s just playing his role. He’s really just increasing that and he’s just been in attack mode here.”

Hopefully, he’ll still be in attack mode when we get back to the main island. For now, his performance earned him a well-deserved pat on the back from John Calipari:

DSC01980

Meanwhile, this kid was less than impressed:

DSC01976

11 Comments for Kenny Payne said it best: “Alex is playing unbelievable”

1. J-Dub421
    5:11 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Finally! The Alex Poythress we’ve all been waiting for! I’ve been waiting for 2 years for Alex to realize how talented he is, and I think its finally happened.

2. LittleMan
    5:21 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

“Yeah you still a chump Poythress. You don’t impress me”

• LittleMan
      5:22 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Seriously though, that kid is givin him the stink eye! Great photo and needs to be in Poythress’s locker, ha

3. CrazyCatFan
    5:34 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Always a favorite … so glad his hard work is paying off!!! GO ALEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Tony
    5:36 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

“Yeah you still a chump. Me not impressed”

• WRONG, BUT MAYBE THIS TIME I'M RIGHT
      6:16 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey Tony – your mamma wasn’t impressed either when you were born – she slapped you four times before the doctor could slap you……

5. Willis talkin bout...
    5:43 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Ha.. that kid is awesome! Instant classic!

6. JJ
    7:01 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been somewhat critical of Poy in his first two years, but I love what he’s doing this year. Much more aggressive. He’s a monster on the boards. And I LOVED his two threes today. Limit his turnovers and hit a three now and then, and keep on doing what he is doing under the goal…., defensively and offensively. If he does that, he’s a first rounder. But we shall see. In any event, these Cats are mighty impressive. Go Big Blue!!!!

7. Cat in slc
    9:32 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Who is this “unbelievable”, and how do I play them. I think he meant to say unbelievably. Adverbs be dyin people.

• Yep
      10:56 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Poythress is really looking great. I’m loving his play! Go Cats! Also, I do think he meant “unbelievably”. Even if Mrs TT had noticed that (she didn’t I assume), I’m sure she wouldn’t waste her blog time pointing that out. I don’t think grammar is her priority.

8. kycager
    10:30 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

some kids look, but hat kid sees…..