Just one day after PJ Washington and Ashton Hagans made their NBA Draft decisions, Kentucky forward Keldon Johnson has made his announcement.

Johnson will put his name in the draft, but is leaving the door open to return if he doesn’t get the feedback he’s hoping for in the process.

“First of all, I want to thank God because none of this would be possible without Him,” Johnson said in a press release. “Thank you to my family for always having my back and getting me to this point. Thank you to Coach Cal for pushing me on and off the court to be the best player I can be. He never let me take a day off. I want to thank Coach KP (Kenny Payne) for pushing me every day and for being a father figure away from home. Thank you to Coach (Tony) Barbee for being there through tough times. I also want to thank Coach Joel (Justus) and Coach (John) Robic for always providing a helping hand when I needed and for always supporting me.

Kentucky head coach John Calipari said he supports Johnson’s decision to go through the process before making a final decision.

“Keldon is a gym rat who has improved in all areas this season,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “Keldon has the athleticism, physique and skill set to compete at a high level in that league. His ability to make people around him better and his willingness to share and be a great teammate is what will set him apart when he goes through workouts. I fully support his decision to go through this process and get all the information. Whatever he decides, he will have my full support.”

Johnson has until May 29 to officially keep his name in the draft or return for a sophomore season.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

24 Comments for Keldon Johnson will put his name in the NBA Draft, leaving the option to return to Kentucky open

1. bigbluenationmbb
    11:30 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Smart if not going to be a lottery pick come back like pj did

• Luether
      6:56 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

My sources say he’s already made up his mind to leave…

2. UKBigBlueForever
    11:32 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Figured as much. He would be dumb not to get free input with the option to come back. Hoping for obviously selfish reasons that he does come back.

3. StillBP
    11:32 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

I like it. Didn’t close the door and wants to be a lottery pick so we have a good chance of seeing him in UK blue again.

4. StillBP
    11:35 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Keldon is a gym rat who has improved in all areas this season,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “Keldon has the athleticism, physique and skill set to compete at a high level in that league. His ability to make people around him better and his willingness to share and be a great teammate is what will set him apart when he goes through workouts. Like Tyler (Herro) is doing, I full support his decision to go through this process and get all the information. Whatever he decides, he will have my full support.

So did he just spill the beans on Tyler in that quote?

• StillBP
      11:36 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

oh you had that at the bottom, my bad. I saw in in another article and didn’t notice it in this one.

• mrcoconuts
      11:51 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

I don’t see the part about Tyler in the quote? Where did u pull it from?????

• StillBP
      11:54 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

hey changed it and took the Tyler part out. It was on another site (I named it earlier but the mod bot won’t let me post it) in Cal’s quote and was actually at the bottom here on KSR but they took it out. Cal just posted the same quote and the Tyler part was gone. So either he never said it to begin with and they misquoted him, or he let it slip and now they are covering.

• Jack Pilgrim
      11:58 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

UK sent out the first quote, then clarified that it was an “inadvertent typo” and Herro had not made a decision.

• StillBP
      11:59 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

thanks for the clarification, Jack. We’ll go with “inadvertent typo” *wink, wink*

• kbo24
      12:20 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Let’s not kid ourselves – Tyler is DEFINITELY gonna go through the same process.

• StillBP
      12:25 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

kbo I totally agree, either that or go all in on the draft. Just thought it was funny that Cal threw him in that quote when nothing else has come out on him.

5. dave1964
    11:47 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

He is gone. Move along.

• RealCatsFan
      4:38 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Very possible, but I think a lot of people said that about PJ last year. (Although I think PJ was projected a little lower – why I have no idea.)

6. Melvit
    11:48 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Smart move, I expect Herro to do the same thing.

7. Ned T.
    11:54 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

The only real deadline is May 29. Wake me up when that approaches.

8. chrislarkey
    11:59 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

He
    Be
    Gone

9. JT919
    12:04 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Like that he’s leaving the door open. If he truly wants to be a lottery pick and nothing else, there’s a better chance he’s back than anybody expects.

10. nocode96
    1:49 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Best move he can make. Tyler will do the same. Thanks to P.J. setting the mold though, I fully expect one or both back IF they aren’t assured of a top 20 pick. Being assured a lottery spot is a bit lofty for either guy. I’m not sure either will ever be a lottery pick though, no matter what they do.

• RealCatsFan
      4:40 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

I would say from a purely athletic perspective Keldon has a better chance at the lottery. But he has to get WAY more consistent with his outside shot to do that. Tyler and Keldon are kind of negative images of each other – Keldon has tons of raw athletic talent, but needs to polish his shot, and Tyler has a very solid outside and midrange shot but probably needs to show that he can hang physically in the NBA.

11. makeitstop
    2:58 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

He did say “My hope is to be a lottery pick. IF I am, I plan on pursuing my dreams and staying in the draft…”
    Right now CBS has him in the lottery, SI and Bleacher Report don’t, for example. The door may not be open but it more ajar than I expected.

• RealCatsFan
      4:41 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

I just can’t see where he has shown enough to be a lottery pick. That is a stretch, IMO.

• Ez21
      8:08 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

The NBA drafts on potential. They have for years so showing enough isn’t gonna matter.

12. Kerosenerag