Keion Brooks Sr. to the BBN: “Just wait, another one on the way!”

Despite Kentucky picking up a commitment from arguably the top transfer of the offseason in Wake Forest center Olivier Sarr, the father of UK forward Keion Brooks Jr. wants fans to know John Calipari isn’t done there.

Moments after Sarr announced his commitment to Kentucky, Keion Brooks Sr. said on his Twitter page that the Wildcats had “another one on the way.”

“Kentucky not done just wait,” Brooks Sr. said. “Another one on the way! #BBN #9”

Who could Brooks be referring to?

Kentucky has been in regular contact with both 2020 four-star center Frank Anselem, along with Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams.

Anselem’s grassroots basketball coach, Julius Smith, told Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader that the Kentucky coaching staff was up front about the possibility of landing Sarr, something the 6-foot-10 center native of Suwanee, GA would welcome with open arms.

“They addressed that before we even had a chance to ask about it,” Smith told the Herald-Leader. “Of course, they would love to have him. (Calipari) said if they could get another big, they would love to have another big. And if it’s another big, it’s a big like Olivier or somebody that’s going to come in and play one year and be out.”

Late last week, Anselem announced he would be cutting his list to Arkansas, Kentucky, San Diego State, Seton Hall, Syracuse, and Western Kentucky.

As for Williams, a 6-foot-10 forward who averaged 15.2 points, 6.9 rebounds, 2.7 assists and one block per game last year as a sophomore at Evansville, a decision is expected by the end of the week.

The finalists? Arkansas, Baylor, Kentucky, and Memphis.

“Everyone knows Kentucky is the elite of the elite, the mecca,” Williams’ former head coach and mentor, Coach Kenny Roy of Nationwide Academy, told KSR this week. “How can you not like Kentucky if they come calling on you? It’s something you always have to deal with, it’s something you can’t just refuse. You listen when the big dog calls, you always have to listen to what they have to say. That’s the bottom line.”

Will the Wildcats be adding one of the 6-foot-10 forwards in the near future?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

20 Comments for Keion Brooks Sr. to the BBN: “Just wait, another one on the way!”

1. BlueBanker18
    1:28 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Pretty confident we’re getting Williams from Evansville. Our front court’s about to be straight up N A S T Y.

• satcheluk
      1:39 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m excited and hopeful, but wouldn’t use the term nasty to describe a front court with 1 returning but bench player with upside and two transfers, one of which was from a mid major.

• Han
      1:53 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

A guy like Williams could come and not be capable of putting up the same numbers against better competition or sharing the ball more…or he could come and show he’s capable of the same or better when surrounded by more talent so he can’t be doubled.

Remains to be seen.

2. Boro Boy
    1:35 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Looking Good ….Williams will just cap it off ….TIME FOR 9

3. IrishCat
    1:38 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Williams seems likely. I think it’s the perfect time to add a project big. Anselem seems like a good option, but why not go all out to stick it to the Deacons and bring in the Kentucky kid? He’s a lot more athletic than I expected, and probably more likely to stick around the program until he’s an upperclassman than some of these other dudes.

• UKgrad80
      8:13 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Yes I say get the 7-3 guy from Martin County I think he could develop!

• friendsofcoal
      1:04 am May 7, 2020 Permalink

LMAO! Have you seen this kid play? Trust me, he’s big but no way could he play Cals style.

4. Han
    1:50 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I just wish we had Cal’s confidence about these guys getting Waivers.

5. nocode96
    1:56 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m usually the big optimist for everything UK, but am I the only one reading this as “another one in the way” as, another championship in the way? Right after saying that, he refers to number 9. I hope I’m wrong in my interpretation, but I’m not sure how cool Cal and the school would be with a player’s parent saying something like this on Twitter if they are referring to another player on the way. Hope I’m wrong, and likely am wrong, but I just see this more as him referring to another banner being on the way.

• JASUN74
      2:06 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Looks like he’s talking about both another player and getting #9. That’s how it’s worded anyway.

• ClutchCargo
      2:19 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

“Just wait, another one on the way!” doesn’t make sense except for referring to another player on the way, since it was right after we landed Sarr.

• nocode96
      7:40 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I’d still argue that it makes a lot of sense. There have been several cases over the last couple years where a new recruit tweets something to the effect of “another one coming”, and seemingly every year we get our hopes up for another signing, and the tweet just meant another banner. Again, hope I’m wrong and anyone in this sure knows I see things through the bluest off glasses. But if I tweeted out “another one coming, #9” no one would debate what I meant. It would be universally accepted that I was talking about another championship. I know I’m not a player with any inside info, and I know the timing really points to another transfer or recruit, I’m just playing the devil’s advocate because if we don’t get another guy in say, the next couple weeks, everyone is going to wonder what’s up with this tweet. I said earlier that I hope I’m wrong and that I probably am wrong, but there’s definitely a case for him referring to a banner, and that case makes perfect sense within the context of that tweet.

Doesn’t matter any way though, because even if we were able to bring Davis back, so many fills around here would still complain about it, let alone if it’s a solid 4 star kid from high school that needs a little work. Always unhappy and ungrateful fans here in BBN.

6. Jesus H. Chrysler
    1:57 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

^ this

7. JASUN74
    2:03 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I say get both is at all possible and let Anselem redshirt. Or if not redshirt, play some minutes while we’re up and get him some experience. We never have a full team anyway and it’s such a waste to not have kids working and developing for the next year. We’re allowed 14 players on a full ride but only use at most 10, (give or take one most years). It’s time to fill them up and if they don’t work out let them transfer or develop another year.

My personal wish would be to take 1 Kentucky kid every single year, by year four, you have 4 guys on the team that are going to play with pride and the name on the jersey, That still would give us ten spots to fill every year and that would be when Kentucky would become another dynasty!!

Know before I get blasted, lol, I know that isn’t going to happen here while Cal is our coach, I do believe it would benefit the team though and we’d always have a Senior night that actually meant something. Saying that, I do understand getting the most ready players, the kids who can come in and play right away, but, there’s always some kids every year that blossom and turn into unbelievable players after developing a couple years!

Do t get me wrong, I love Kentucky Basketball, but I still will always want a full roster and a few kids actually from Kentucky! Ok , back to reality! Hehe. We should seriously try to get both these guys and have a little depth next year. It’s an amazing time for Kentucky Basketball and Football right now and we’re the luckiest fan base in the world. Can’t wait until we get to see them in action. Go Cats!

• IrishCat
      2:48 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I also think we should try to add one scholarship player who knows he’ll need to stay and develop, and is okay with that. Often that’s a Kentucky kid, and that’s even better. A couple solid veteran role players can be the difference in competing for an SEC title and competing for a national title.

• IrishCat
      2:48 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

One each year, that is.

8. terwilliger
    2:55 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

Could there be a bigger contrast between parents than Keion’s Dad versus EJ’s dad? This dude not only wants his son to work hard and mature as a basketball player, but he’s even talking about bringing home #9!! Don’t feel like that’s a priority with a lot of parents (or the players) these days. Good on you Brooks family!!!

9. Cokely53
    3:29 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

My guess would be Anselem because he would be able to play right away, where as Cal would be taking a huge risk taking 2 guys that would both require waivers.

• BobbyBlue
      4:42 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I believe Mr Brooks was referring to Olivier Sarr on Twitter and with bad timing the announcement came out about the Sarr commit and they crossed each other, with bad timing.

10. BobbyBlue
    4:29 pm May 6, 2020 Permalink

I don’t care which one Cal signs, because he will have a solid reasoning behind his choice.
    In Cal I trust !