Kansas State Mad about Handshake Line

Getty Images

After celebrating a surprising Sweet 16 upset, the Kansas State Wildcats were still not happy with the Kentucky Wildcats.

“They didn’t shake our hands,” Kansas State junior guard Amaad Wainwright told ESPN.  “It’s sorry. … They know what they did.”

Wainwright said he was disrespected by Kentucky for leaving the floor before K-State could shake their hands.  John Calipari explained why the team left the floor.

“Well, I went down to shake their hands, too, and they were turned and celebrating so that I walked off. I had no disrespect for anything, just that they were celebrating and I was happy for them. I walked off, too.”

He walked off, after shaking hands with the K-State coaches.  “There’s no disrespect in any way. They beat us,” Cal said. “They deserved to win the game.”

UPDATE: Deputy Director of Athletics Dewayne Peevy took to Twitter this afternoon to reiterate that this is fake news.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

28 Comments for Kansas State Mad about Handshake Line

1. T-wah
    10:08 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Nothing to see here. It was plainly visible on tv immediately after the game ended that our guys started shaking hands with the K State guys and coaches that came along in the hand shake line. The ones who were celebrating out on the floor simply missed out. Clearly, no disrespect by our guys. We tip our cap to them and move on.

2. TomEcaster
    10:15 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Well now we know who we will be playing next year in the SEC/Big 12 challenge….

• ukjaybrat
      10:17 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

proably wvu at home. cal hates these challenges so he makes sure they are at the very least home and home games. at kansas, kansas in rupp, at wvu, next year will be wvu in rupp… but i wouldn’t be surprised if they toss ksu in there next

• catsarerunnin
      11:16 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Won’t be in the Challenge. My guess is we will see KState in the first or second round of the NCAA tourney for the next 5 years or so…

• kydrummer
      11:48 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I hope so!

3. ritzter
    10:15 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Flip the teams and the story is “Kentucky players too busy celebrating to shake hands”. It’s a non-story, just ESPN trolling.

• KTR2786
      10:18 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

^ this exactly. More clickbait for revenue driven news for advertising revenue driven “news sources.”

• symphonist41169
      12:01 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Speaking of advertising, I wish to HELL Jones would get rid of the pop-up video ads in the lower-right corner and the pop-ups you have to scroll through 3-4 times to get to the comments section. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to restart my computer because the damned ads lock it up. Becoming close to unbearable and not worth it.

• J-Dub421
      12:59 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Learn to use technology and install an ad blocker. I’m tired of reading whining comments about ads from stupid people who won’t install an ad blocker.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      2:50 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

EXACTLY. ESPN moved the non-story to the top of their NCAAMBB headlines, when it was way down the list even last night.

4. Ridge Runner
    10:48 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Oh brother… They celebrate their super bowl and expect us to wait around until they get back from jumping over media tables and running / falling around on the court. Unbelievable.

Poor lil babies…

• Jambluehue99
      11:19 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Exactly!

5. GeraldFitch
    10:56 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Told yall Vanderbilt wasn’t going to play the rest of the season

• Al B. Frank
      11:13 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Vanderbuilt was the reason Kentucky couldn’t shake hands? I’m failing to see the connection that your comment has to do with the story.

• catsarerunnin
      11:16 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Want a cookie?

6. Lip Man 1
    11:12 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Just some random thoughts:

UK lost three games this year by three points or less. They missed 26 total free throws in those three games.

The last two NCAA losses for UK have come by a total of five points. In those two games UK missed a total of 22 free throw’s.

In the 2014 title game UK lost to UConn by six points. They missed 13 free throw attempts.

When Cal was at Memphis they blew the title game to Kansas because of missed free throws down the stretch.

My point is that free throw shooting ALWAYS seems to jump up and bite his teams in the ass. Yet nothing apparently ever changes.

• Al B. Frank
      11:14 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

If you are laying out these thoughts in a particular order to make your point at the end, then they are not random thoughts.

• DT in DC
      1:35 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

I’ve said the exact same thing about it seem as if all his NCAA losses can be traced back to FT woes. Add we only lost to UCONN in 2011 in the Final Four by 1. I remember it vividly. My son was born earlier that day and that was the first game we watched together. My first motherly advice to him was, “Son, you’ll never win basketball games shooing 33% from the free throw line.” Still probably the best advice I’ve ever given him. LOL!

• RealCatsFan
      2:04 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

I would venture that the same holds true in nearly any close loss, UK or otherwise. We aren’t the only team that misses FT’s. A lot of the issue can probably be traced to the fact that Cal’s teams depend heavily on young, inexperienced players, often the more athletic types who don’t need to rely on FT shooting ability to succeed in HS. When you are trying to meld a new team together every year out of inexperienced players, not as much time to practice them.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      2:52 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

So you’re saying if we’d scored more points, we’d have won…gotcha. Thanks Sherlock.

7. PatGLex
    12:50 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Comments were also made on Rich Eisen’s show about UK not shaking hands and that they thought it was disrespecting K State.

8. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    12:55 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

I fell for the click bait on my phone this morning as one of the top ESPN stories. I am so disappointed in myself.

9. CoachCat
    12:56 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

They’re going to try and make this a thing. Doesn’t matter that our kids were in line and shaking the coaches hands. I guess we should have just waited for them to finish celebrating lol

10. 2kittle
    1:44 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

*They’re

11. BigBlueNationDude
    2:17 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Because we have babies on our team. Including mr complain about everything john calipari

• Al B. Frank
      2:26 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Troll alert!!!

12. KYcats11
    2:58 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

This could also be flipped around and Kentucky could say that they were mad that Kansas States players didn’t shake our hands.

13. Str8tUpHillbilly