Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa declared ineligble for two seasons

Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports

The NCAA has ruled Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa ineligible for the remainder of the 2018-19 season and the entirety of the 2019-20 season for his guardian receiving $2,500 from an agent/booster and agreeing to accept another $20,000 from the same individual.

In the official ruling, the NCAA said the money agreements helped secure De Sousa’s enrollment at Kansas, and thus, he must sit out for two full seasons.

University of Kansas men’s basketball student-athlete Silvio De Sousa must sit out the remainder of the 2018-19 season and the 2019-20 season because his guardian received payment from a university booster and agent and agreed to receive additional funds from the same person.

According to the facts provided for purposes of the reinstatement request, De Sousa’s guardian received payment of $2,500 from an agent and booster of the school. He agreed to accept additional payment of $20,000 from the same individual and an Adidas employee for securing De Sousa’s enrollment at Kansas.

The NCAA also added that they factored in the fact that it was the guardian’s involvement with the payments, not De Sousa’s, in the decision. Usually, they said, a violation of this magnitude results in “permanent ineligibility.”

“Membership guidelines state the starting point for these violations is permanent ineligibility, but the NCAA staff recognized mitigation based on the specific circumstances of this case when making its decision,” they said.

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long said the school is “shocked” and “incensed” by the decision made on Friday, saying they will appeal immediately.

“We are shocked and incensed by today’s decision, and we will immediately appeal as this was clearly an unfair and punitive ruling for a young man who had no knowledge of any NCAA violation, nor did Silvio personally benefit from the violation,” he said. “While we will continue to work with the NCAA on the broader matter, we have an obligation and a desire to advocate for our student-athletes, and will continue to do that for an outstanding young man.”

Kansas head coach Bill Self said the decision was “mean-spirited and vindictive” for a player who did “nothing wrong.”

“In my 30-plus years of coaching college basketball, I have never witnessed such a mean-spirited and vindictive punishment against a young man who did nothing wrong,” Self said. “To take away his opportunity to play college baskeball is shameful and a failure of the NCAA. Silvio is a tremendous young man who absolutely deserves to be on the court with his teammates. This process took way too long to address these issues. We will support Silvio as he considers his options.”

Former Kentucky forward Enes Kanter, who was also ruled ineligible by the NCAA for receiving improper benefits, was quick to tell the world how he felt about the decision.

What do you guys think? Did the crime fit the punishment or was it excessive?

On that note, De Sousa appeared in 20 games for the Jayhawks last season during their run to the Final Four. Will those wins be vacated, as well?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

26 Comments for Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa declared ineligble for two seasons



  1. Han
    11:18 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Looks like 15 wins should be vacated from last year. Also Kansas should be penalized since a booster was involved.

    After all, strict liability exists.



  2. ClutchCargo
    11:20 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    We already know that the NCAA has no integrity, but the real test of that will be if those wins are vacated. Also, I think we now see the blueprint for how all this adidas stuff is going to go.

    • I think you’re right.



    • runningunnin.454
      11:39 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

      It is fair considering his services were bought and paid for. But when you see that UNCheat skated for 20 years of shenanigans, you can understand that Kansas, Miami, Missouri, and UL might feel cheated.
      I’m sure UL is particularly interested in any decision involving vacated games.
      I’m sorry, Dook; that doesn’t mean you get another FF banner.

  3. “I’m SHOCKED! SHOCKED I tell you! SHOCKED!!!” Hahaha.



  4. TomEcaster
    11:24 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Seems about right to me. Key being the payments were to secure his commitment. And yes any game he played in should be vacated. That precedent has been established, anything less shows favoritism



  5. STLouisBBFan
    11:26 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    It does seem about right but he should not be allowed to play at Kansas. They were involved and shouldn’t still be able to benefit from their actions two years down the road.



  6. 4everUKblue
    11:33 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Man he looks 30 years old at least!



    • Ridge Runner
      12:46 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      Will be by the time he plays.. heh



  7. bhb71
    11:45 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    This is the right ruling given the current rules, but after all of the smackdowns get handed out to different programs that got caught cheating under these rules, they need to focus more on making rules to allow college players to do endorsement deals in the first place.



  8. No more excuses cal
    11:47 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    All wins should be vacating and Kansas should get some kind of probation for a year or two



  9. RICKSVD
    11:59 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Louisville is getting it for sure next year. Already on probation, repeat offender. Don’t care if they cleaned house or not, they have a show clause essentially. Good for that idiot Mack and the fans.



  10. Kernel Sanders
    11:59 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

    So Kansas booster was involved, the kid’s guardian and adidas rep. If the kid has PROVEN he had no knowledge and no benefit, then they should allow him to transfer to a new school with immediate eligibility in my opinion.



    • Peas and Carrots
      1:17 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      I agree with that. If the kid had no knowledge he’s a victim in this too. His guardian, Adidas, and KU screwed him over. He should be allowed to play elsewhere if that’s the case.



    • J-Dub421
      2:15 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      There is no way the kid didn’t know. He’d already committed to Maryland, then ditched them for Kansas because his services were bought and paid for. He had to have been given a reason as to why he was going to Kansas instead.



  11. a21CATSfan
    12:02 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    I understand most UK fans want 15 wins vacated, blah, blah, blah. Mostly because they are only 16 wins behind us for a very prestigious claim. But, there are bigger fish to fry. Where is the standard? Where are the guidelines for punishment? Kentucky gets blasted in the 50s (postseason ban/players banned for point shaving) and 80s (damn near death penalty for impermissible benefits), Louisville gets their past erased and one year postseason ban. UNC gets by with 2 decades worth of academic fraud across the board, and yesterday Missouri got hammered for several players cheating because they admitted to it! Just deny and you won’t get punished. John Wall sat one game, Josh Selby 9 games and Enes Kanter declared permanently ineligible. LaMelo Ball is still considered eligible. He has his own shoes. How did DeSousa get declared ineligible for 2 seasons? CCCCCCCAAAAAATTTTTTTSSSSSSS



    • 4everUKblue
      12:49 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      You left out all the shenanigans dUKe has gotten away with and there are several.



  12. ibescootch
    12:08 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Nice. “Inelgible”?



    • ibescootch
      12:10 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      You spelled it so wrong, I even spelled your misspelling incorrectly.



    • jsuge20
      1:06 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      talkin to yourself again??



  13. bwise
    12:27 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    24 hours late



  14. Truman Claytor
    1:04 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Suspension should stay intact should he remain at Kansas, but he should be able to transfer & be eligible immediately. If indeed the ruling indicated only his guardian was involved. Wouldn’t this be similar to the Kim Newton situation where his dad was shoving his services?



  15. BlueByYou
    1:13 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    What I don’t understand is why no punishment for Kansas. Yeah, they lost his services, but I thought if a booster pays money to get a player, it’s the same as if the school paid that money. How can you play by the rules when the rules are so convoluted?



    • J-Dub421
      2:19 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

      Bill Self is the one who arranged for the payment through Adidas to get the kid to Kansas. How does Self still have a job???



  16. Go Deep
    3:03 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Why would someone be ineligible for two years but then eligible to play? He’ll be long gone by then of course, but goes to show the illogical thought process of the NCAA.



  17. BigolBlue
    6:28 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

    Justice for once