REPORT: Kahlil Whitney Leaning Towards NBA Draft

One week after he announced his transfer from the University of Kentucky, freshman forward Kahlil Whitney appears to be favoring a shot at the pros.

According to Evan Daniels of 247SportsWhitney is leaning towards entering the 2020 NBA Draft this June.

In the article posted by Daniels, he mentions that Whitney and his camp originally listened to calls from several other colleges. In the public announcement put out by Whitney on his initial decision, he never explicitly stated whether or not he would transfer or go pro. Seven days later, it sounds like the five-star recruit and former McDonald’s All-American is leaning towards the NBA.

Prior to his decision to transfer, Whitney’s minutes had seen a considerable decline over the past few weeks. He averaged 3.3 points and 1.7 rebounds in 18 total games – eight of them as a starter. However, he averaged just 6.1 minutes over his last seven games as a Wildcat.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Covering all things NBA and UK Hoops. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

44 Comments for REPORT: Kahlil Whitney Leaning Towards NBA Draft

1. TonyMontana
    5:56 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I remember he was actually projected as a lottery pick before the season started, but uhmmm yea.. good luck to you. Still shaking my head, but I dont know anything about his personal life so can’t really judge. I always hoped he would get more time to show off what he can do. It’s hard to get going when you only get 2-3 minutes. Another one of those what could have been situations. #BBN

• JoeMoney333
      6:11 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I bet he had 120+ minutes a day at practice to show off what he could do.
      And he only got 2-3 minutes of game time.
      That should tell you more than enough.

2. HackRichards
    6:12 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Who is this boy listening to? I bet his grades were terrible and probably a good thing he withdrew.

3. runningunnin.454
    6:30 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He couldn’t get minutes in college; but, he wants to enter the NBA draft? Wow, this is sad. All the best of luck to him; but, he’s going to have to develop an outside shot; don’t think he can bang in the paint with the big guys. Maybe the G League can help him.

4. Kelkat
    6:33 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I feel sorry for the kid. He is obviously getting really bad advice. Word is that his dad is behind him pulling out of UK in the middle of the semester. Why not just finish out the semester and then leave? It really just doesn’t make much sense because there was nothing to be gained by leaving when he did leave. If he can’t even get playing time on a college team…how is he going to compete in the NBA?

5. UKCatAttack
    6:37 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Very sad. They may as well announced that he would be ending his Basketball career. This kid won’t be drafted, and will get eaten up in the G-League. Maybe he’s got a shot overseas but those teams put a limit on the number of Americans they can have on each team and I’m afraid he won’t be polished enough for a team to waste one of their American roster spots on him. Good luck Kahlil. If you want my advice fire whoever is advising you and if it’s your parents tell them to get the hell out of your business.

6. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    6:44 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He’ll be the Clippers first round pick.

7. 4everUKBlue
    6:49 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I feel really bad for this young man, he must be surrounded by idiots.

8. John Capilari
    6:55 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I am also leaning towards the nba. I think we have similar chances.

9. zoupman
    7:12 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

If he wants to play in NBA, he should have stayed at UK and listened to coaches and worked hard. In another 2 or 3 he might have been ready.
    Bad move quitting on your teammates mid season.

10. BigTimeOwen
    7:18 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He’ll still get drafted and make some money. Don’t really blame him now that he’s made his decision to leave. He’d probably make way more with another year or two here developing but if that isn’t his time frame, that isn’t his time frame. Still, don’t understand why he’d leave in the middle of the season to then not play competitive basketball.

• IrishCat
      7:26 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s hard for me to imagine him getting drafted. 6’7” guys that are hyper athletic w/ no handles and a so so jumper are a dime a dozen in the league.

• Big Sexy
      9:23 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

There’s not a chance in hell he gets drafted in the 2020 draft.

11. JLP
    7:20 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if the NBA or overseas are his only options. If he has failing grades due to dropping out, how can another university accept him and allow him to play?

12. BobbyBlue
    7:22 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Unbelievably poor choice for this kid.
    Three years with Cal might have gotten him drafted.
    If his handlers/ daddy see him as a meal ticket, I hope they like Mac and cheese.
    I wish him only the best, whatever he route he decides next.

13. JT55
    7:40 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m leaning towards entering myself in the NFL draft. I have as good a chance as that idiot.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:27 pm February 1, 2020 Permalink

He is not the idiot, he is the poor young man being steered by idiots.

14. KentuckyRob
    8:18 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I would bet the farm that Kahlil would make the pros before ANY of you. Think before you comment. All your doing is just embarrassing yourselves.

• sa_hunt
      8:28 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

The dumbest thing is, you actually think they are being serious, hahahahahahahahaha

• ClutchCargo
      8:31 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He doesn’t have to outplay KSR commenters, he has to outplay, or at least be competitive with talented and skilled college players. He hasn’t shown any signs of being able to do that yet, and his basketball career depends on it.

• KentuckyRob
      9:04 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I don’t give a DAMN if they were serious or not. Comments like that are made with NO common sense.

• The Big Lebowski
      9:16 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

They’re being sarcastic. Sadly, you’re serious.

15. Lyle Evans
    8:55 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

This is just sad.

16. Cousins Fake Tooth
    9:04 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

????????

17. Cousins Fake Tooth
    9:04 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

lol

18. Cousins Fake Tooth
    9:07 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He scored double figures….ONCE. And think he can go pro? Hes not even pro for weak foreign teams.

19. JASUN74
    9:07 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Personally I’d wish he would’ve stayed and toughed it out. For now he probably should just transfer, but honestly his game is better suited for the NBA, he’ll get a shot and if he decides to work hard he’ll play in the league and make some good money. Some kids just hate school! Now he won’t have to go to class all day, just practice and play ball. I sure hope it works out and I believe for some kids this is the better way.

He shouldn’t have been made to go to school in the first place if he didn’t want to. But since he was here he should’ve gotten the most out of it. Anyway, keep on keeping on Young man! Also he’ll have Kentucky tied to his name now so let’s all wish him the best.

20. Big Sexy
    9:27 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He’s getting some bad advice. It was bad enough he convinced to just leave the team. With what’s coming in next year I see why his “handlers” wanted him out. At least go somewhere he can compete. He’ll be in the G-league or overseas for a few years at least.

21. MrFlip41129
    11:41 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Look at grown men talk ? about kid that would that would school them on a basketball court. Good job guys. What about Once at Cat always a Cat? That said, LETS GO CATS GET THE W TOMORROW!! 84-77 CATS!!

• The Big Lebowski
      9:02 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

He’s not a kid.

When I was his age, I was in the Army on the Fulda Gap.

Don’t give me this kid nonsense.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:31 pm February 1, 2020 Permalink

To be fair there is a big difference in choosing to go to college and play ball and going to the Army. A young man can leave college any time he chooses for whatever reason, not quite the case with the Army or any other branch of the military. You also don’t have a choice but to follow orders in the military….at least not without some serious consequences.

22. MississippiBlue
    12:00 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

I hate that he left the team, especially in manor in which he did. However, let’s think back for a second to all the negative comments that were directed at Skal, Hami, and Briscoe. They all achieved their dreams and made it to the NBA in spite of what many of our fans thought about them. The NBA and college basketballs are entirely different games, and they require a different type of athlete and skill set. Do I think Whitney is ready? No. Do I think our fans should trash him? ____ no. Just let the kids live their lives, and hope it all works out for them.

• Rixter
      12:35 pm February 1, 2020 Permalink

How many of those guys left in the middle of their freshman year?
      Imagine if Nick Richards’ dad had yanked him out of school halfway thru his freshman year.. he would be either in Grand Rapids or Israel. Since they were smart enough to tough it out, he is going to hear Adam Silver call his name in the next draft.

23. MrFlip41129
    12:46 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

Thank you MississippiBlue. Hope Bruce Pearl face turns Auburn Orange.

24. Dark Soul
    1:03 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m not mad at him. I’m mad at his dad if he is the one that caused him to leave. That just seems selfish and not having your kids best interests. The dad excuse could just be rumors though. He didnt seem like he had a bad attitude while he was a cat.

25. UKgrad80
    4:48 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

So how does that work? I couldn’t see the floor in college cause I sucked but the NBA should be easier?? This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

26. CahillsCrossingNT
    7:19 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

Hypothetically, if he were to get drafted, do we still claim him? He willingly jumped ship in midseason. I say no.

27. scwhite9
    8:15 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

I question the attitude of his dad who screamed from the stands: You deserve better than this. Shame on his dad. I question his grades. And, I question why he would do this to his teammates. I question why anyone would lose the tudors, the athletic trainers, the workouts with others who will be great when it is free.

Having said that, I hope he succeeds wherever he goes or ends up. He seemed like a great kid.

28. hal9944
    8:45 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

My source who has talked to Coach Cal about it, said that its his father making all the decisions in the situation.
    Not sure what would make his dad think he is ready for the NBA.

29. The Big Lebowski
    9:04 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

He’s another impressionable young man surrounded by greedy stupid men and women who are leading him to bad decisions.

Hopefully, he lands on his feet in Europe and sheds all of the fools around him. He can work in Europe and develop into a decent NBA prospect.

30. Wade