Kahlil Whitney declares for the NBA Draft

This doesn’t come as a shock, but former Kentucky forward Kahlil Whitney confirmed he is entering the 2020 NBA Draft in lieu of transferring to a different school. Whitney shared the news with ESPN’s Jonathan Givony this afternoon.

“I have decided to declare for the 2020 NBA draft. I truly believe in my development and grind. I want to thank my coaches, fans, trainers and family for ongoing support. My journey will be inspiring to kids and athletes all over the globe. #provethemwrong”

Whitney left Kentucky in late January after averaging only 3.3 points and 1.7 rebounds in 12.8 minutes per game. He came to Lexington as a top 15 recruit and told Givony he hopes he can show teams his potential. Earlier today, a report came out that NBA teams are pushing for the draft to be delayed until August so the combine can be held and they can interview prospects in person and host private workouts.

“During the pre-draft process I’m hoping to show every NBA team what so many others know I’m already capable of,” Whitney told ESPN. “These past few months, I’ve been really focused on my individual development and refining many of my skills: tightening up my shot mechanics, ball handling, pick and roll reads, passing, and understanding NBA terminology.

“I really want to show that I can do everything, that I’m an extremely hard worker and I embrace the grind.”

Best of luck to Whitney in his next chapter.

[ESPN]

33 Comments for Kahlil Whitney declares for the NBA Draft

1. BlueBanker18
    5:12 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

I asked the chief, he said this ain’t it.

2. terwilliger
    5:15 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Lol

3. ronzo
    5:35 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Chinese basketball would interest you.

4. MississippiBlue
    5:35 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m hoping for the best for this young man, but I’m sure that deep down he regrets his decision.

5. BlueWildcat_99
    5:37 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Kahlil, while I wish him nothing but the best of luck, has as much business entering the NBA draft as I have getting on a rocketship to Mars tonight. The guy couldn’t start for us – and showed little to no improvement during his time with us – which tells me he isn’t nearly good enough for even the G-League, let alone the NBA. I just feel bad for him because you know he has idiot people around him telling how good he is and that he doesn’t need college. Sad story we see far too often here at UK.

• lexattorney
      5:56 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Bless his heart…

6. StuckinLville
    5:39 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

He looks forward to the grind? How is he going to handle the grind in the NBA if he can’t handle it in college? He could have played his way into the lottery next year.

7. UKinIN
    5:42 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s possible UK didn’t use him correctly but I dunno …

• StuckinLville
      8:03 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

He had no offensive skills. All he could do was drive, but would he? No. He did what he wanted. Why you think his minutes went down?

8. CATS-R-Gr8
    6:07 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

“I wanna show that I can do everything”
    …except go to college classes, follow through on my commitments, and value my teammates as much or better than myself.

All he’s “proved” is just how short-sighted and delusional he and those in his ear may be.

9. T-Town Cat
    6:14 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

“I’ve been really focused on my individual development and refining many of my skills: tightening up my shot mechanics, ball handling, pick and roll reads, passing, and understanding NBA terminology.” He could have done all this with his teammates at UK instead of off somewhere by himself.

10. Park
    6:17 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Like Cal always says, Kentucky is not for everyone

• Gazza
      6:53 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

D league here he comes and straight to high school gym pick up game in 2022

• Park
      11:45 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t mean we did him a disservice or anything. Just that he probably never should have been here to begin with. Can’t evaluate all of them perfectly I guess.

11. chris43
    6:18 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky isn’t for everyone and I do not consider this guy a Wildcat.

12. Lip Man 1
    6:31 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Very true. Wish him well but this guy has undrafted possible free agent signing, say hello to the G-league or Europe written all over him.

13. Han
    6:34 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Pre-draft process at this point is just gonna be Zoom meetings and maybe talking about video of his play, and unfortunately for him, the video shows that he didn’t do much with the opportunities he had. Did Cal not give him enough minutes? He and his family believe it. But it’s not like he was a stat stuffer when he was on the floor.

Good luck. Gonna need it.

14. Realme
    6:49 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

I bet lots of teams will be thrilled to use a draft spot on a guy who was not good in college and quit on his team mid season. I am suuuuuure he is just around the corner from proving all the doubters wrong.

15. dkcr96
    8:07 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

No brained

16. dcforuk
    8:10 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

As John Lennon sang in “Beautiful Boy”………”Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”

I was bummed it did not work out for him here. I hope he makes it. It would seem that staying in the fire refines our impurities and makes us stronger. I hope the NBA fires refine him and don’t consume him.

17. michaelb
    8:14 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

Whoever is this kids agent is delusional ….. this year is unfortunate for anyone tryin to enter the draft with out fresh tape to watch . Good luck sir . I guess he’s good with starting out in the g league . Wish we coulda seen more from him .

• Park
      11:48 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

I read an article, can’t remember if it was here/CBS/ESPN, that said established agents aren’t signing college players right now with everything that is going on. The only agents looking to sign college players are ones that don’t have any clients. If you don’t have any clients, how are you an agent? Lol, guess I’m an agent too.

18. lexattorney
    8:49 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

He did put up Daniel Orton numbers, to be fair.

• KentuckyBoy
      8:36 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Valid point. Was also a similar kind of teammate.

• tncatrn
      10:30 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Exactly true…hows it going for Orton again lol. Hate it for this kid. Was more excited for him coming to Uk than any others in the class. Crazy potential but i dont think he has any actual work ethic…natural athleticism only gets him so far (like highschool standout) and morons hanging onto him for a ride dont help anything. If he does make the league he wont get to enjoy for all the leaches that know whats best for him

19. zoupman
    8:55 pm April 10, 2020 Permalink

He might as well declare for NFL draft. He has about same chance Unlike some of you, I don’t wish him well. Anyone who quits on his team mid season, is a blocked punt to me.

20. bluecrowe
    4:39 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

I honestly blame the people around him. They really did this kid a disservice. I really think family starts to picture themselves living a totally different life after their child’s freshman year. I do not blame them as it is the equivalent of knowing you have a tremendous chance to win the lottery, but the time table is not the same for every person. This is so surreal. He was even given TOO MUCH time on the floor early and it cost us 3 or 4 losses because it kept our best player on the bench.

21. Lyle Evans
    8:36 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

This is just sad. It’s some kind of group narcissism. His self-image and reality collided HARD at UK and that didn’t wake him up. Anyone who thinks his athleticism is unique hasn’t been to an NBA game. They are men, there are hundreds of freak athletes and they mostly all have ridiculous basketball skills.

• trumpetguy
      1:31 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

LE, 100% correct. Ive highly advocated for all who can, go see an NBA game in person, whenever that is,and they will be amazed at both the sheer size/athleticism and skill level of these men compared to collegiate players. Kids and their families apparently conclude that if they were top 20 or so nation wide as HS seniors, they will also be top 20 NBA picks after one year of college…HUGE difference between NBA and collegiate game.

22. KentuckyBoy
    8:40 am April 11, 2020 Permalink

Not sure I understand the IG post with him wearing a UofK uniform.

23. UKFanSC
    12:53 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

I always thought Hami Diallo was a similar player, and predicted no NBA team would ever sign him, but I was wrong. Maybe he’ll prove us wrong.

24. Looother
    6:16 pm April 11, 2020 Permalink

“I’m an extremely hard worker and I embrace the grind.” That’s funny.
    This kid and his entourage are immature and delusional.
    Hope they get exactly what they deserve…

25. sharpshooter81
    9:46 pm April 12, 2020 Permalink

This young man is not going to get drafted and at the very best a G leaguer for 2-3 yrs if he’s lucky. He will be working in some blue collar job since he didn’t get his education. Just sad these young people are so misguided.